Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen Singles Collection - Box 1

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I came in to QZ today to see what was being said about Q-Singles-1. The first thing I saw was this... "What the fuck is this ? I can't believe my eyes. This MUST be a bad joke."

I guess I'm not surprised to see that. It is, as they say on the golf course, Par for the course. How likely was it that I was going to see something like... "It looks really nice. Great rare sleeves have been chosen rather than the familiar UK ones, and they've made certain all the mixes are identical to those of the original vinyl. AND, it's cheap enough that most people can afford it - whereas £100 or £200+ is way over a lot of people's budgets right now."

I saw none of these observations, just predictable bad ones. Most QZ have honed directly into whatever negative aspects can be mentioned, and thus again created the usual anti-climax 'feel' that's so abundant on this site generally.

Negative Creep (that's HIS name, not my observation - though the two things tally rather well), wrote... "Pisstake surely? QP really going to fuck the fans over yet again? One would have to wonder what it is Greg Brooks does (besides pointless memorabilia books - who is that actually aimed at by the way?). How is any fucking way is this release a good idea?"

I cannot see that any fan has been "fucked over", nor anything like it. Quite simply, it's a very lovely looking item, featuring (part 1 of) all Queen's top 40 hits anywhere and everywhere in the world. No-one will be FORCED to buy it. No-one is being fucked over.

This boxed set, as some of you have rightly noted, has changed dramatically since its first concept/form. Yes, originally, what I devised was 12 CDs, and then 10, featuring EVERY single, and B-side and every extended version, remix, edit, radio cut, instrumental, live recital, etc.... EVERYTHING EVER issued by Queen on vinyl or CD singles, with mammoth and comprehensive notes and facts, figures and stats penned over 2 years by Gary Taylor and I. But then the band decided they wanted something different. Queen is THEIR band, not mine, not yours, so naturally we went back to the drawing board and devised something else. NOT something lesser, or poorer, just different.

As you can probably imagine, RT, BM and Co are smart people, not the idiots that some of you QZ-ers apparently have them down for. So you can be assured there was good sound sensible logic behind their brief to us for the revised package/s. It wasn't a 5 minute decision. It was a considered, thought-out practical response with various business considerations in the equation, as well as personal choice and preference. You should know by now that the band takes no decision lightly... especially ones related to the very singles that are close to their hearts for many reasons.

So... OK, it's not what you expected. It's a smaller set. Originally 156 items over 10 CDs, spanning 9 hours (from memory), and with a colossal book of text that most people would have criticised to hell without even reading. But, had we issued that, as planned (and actually handed in, by the way), you guys would now be saying... "£249 for a box. Are they joking? Who can afford that in these money-tight times? Don't 'they' know the world is on the brink of recession, with more people losing their homes than ever, and more bankrupt people than EVER before? QPL live in a dream world if they think we have ALL THIS money to spend at this time."

Whatever we put out would be pulled apart. What we are doing will be in the budget of most people. And, actually, it's a very lovely item to hold in your hand. All the boxes together on the shelf will look great. And all the fans that cannot afford all those rare sleeves, will finally have some kind of version which they CAN afford. That's a good thing.

John S Stuart wrote: I already own this - TWICE over. UK 3" CD single collection. Japan 3" box-set single collection.

ACTUALLY, this is inaccurate. Unlike the discs JSS mentions, certain of these mixes are identical to the original vinyl cuts. White Queen, Ten Funst, Flick Wrist, etc... all exactly how they should be. NOT the album versions - like those on 3" cd. We took great care to ensure these details.

JSS... Exactly WHY would I need another version of the same material?

WELL JOHN... you tell us that you purchased "UK 3" CD single collection" and then you ALSO purchased "Japan 3" box-set single collection", knowing fully well that the two items are IDENTICAL in content.

So... you bought the second set in ADDITION to the first, even though the second offered you NOTHING that the first set doesn't have. You obviously purchased BOTH identical content boxes because you love Queen, and you, like most of us, collect EVERYTHING, no matter what the exact content is.

You need to be consistent, John. To further address your comment (which you contradict).... Exactly WHY would I need another version of the same material? You could apply this to EVERY CD and LP and 7" you have ever purchased, when you already had them in your collection to start with.

Did you buy the beautiful Japanese mini card CD albums???? I bet you did. They are beautiful items. But do they offer you or I "another version of the same material"... of course they do.

Did you buy the Complete Works vinyl box set??? Or any Greatest Hits CD ot LP? Did you buy Queen Rocks??? Or Live Aid? or Montreal or Live at the Bowl???? Of course you did... several times over, probably.... so why have you singled out Queen Singles (no pun intended) for this particular reason????

I can see the point you make, JSS, and I understand the bigger picture, but don't sit their complaining/asking "Exactly WHY would I need another version of the same material?" when you have just told us that you bought the UK 3" cd boxed set AND the Japanese version... CONTENT IDENTICAL, because I think all it does is show that you're out to stir it up again, rather than make a valid point. YOU clearly buy Queen product, like I do, because you want all these things, to be as thorough as you can, and NOT because their is repitition.

If you were so very upset by this phenomenon, you would not have purchased even the UK 3" CDs, much less the Japanese ones too. Why would you buy EITHER of them, if you feel the way you say you do??? To buy both is just ludicrous, based on your logic.

JSS. As I said before: "covering sh*t in tin-foil does not make it chocolate".

Yes, well that's all very eloquent of you, John, but you've seen the box set 1 now, and if you think it resembles shit in tin-foil, I sympathise with you. That is a very very nasty situation to be in. A rather ugly comparison, but each to his own!

GB
Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

continued.....

Cwazy Little Thing wrote.... I cant help wondering who they think will buy this at all?

GB. Many thousands of people who find themselves in a million CD stores around the world, who see all Queen's wonderful singles in a lovely little colourful box, containing great sleeves from Japan, Hungary, France, Spain, UK, etc.... they are the people, MOSTLY, that buy these things. Die-hard long-term Queen fans like you and I, are only a tiny part of the picture.

I would liken this to 40 Liverpool football fans abandoning the stadium next Saturday, in protest to something they don't like... while 85,000 other fans swarm past them into the stadium regardless. Liverpool cater for the majority, the masses, not the tiny minority. It is after all, a business. EMI, Liverpool F.C., McDonalds... they're not charities, are they.

Cwazy Little Thing wrote....My main interest in the thing was the b-sides, remixes and so forth which gathered together and in decent sound quality presented at least some notion of rarity. I probably would have bought a £40-60 box set containing all those. Anyone who wants the artwork already has it, so all that remains is the tracks themselves, and anyone who wants them already has the albums/greatest hits/rocks - even in the general non-superfan public. With the b-sides being spread out across 4 releases (and this first one only containing one!!!) only people to whom money doesnt really matter will feel they must buy all to get those tracks.

GB. This is all fair comment. But like I say, these points are only relevant to a small fraction of the people that will ultimately buy this box.

Cwazy Little Thing wrote.... So what is there that more than about 10 people will actually want enough to buy this product?

GB. Cwazy, this is a cwazy comment. You cannot assume that all the people who will buy this box, will share your views. Only the tiniest fraction of them might.... and most of them will still buy it. When all said and done, even after complaining, it's likely that even you will hand over your money for this box. 95% of those who will be in HMV or Virgin in December and will see this box, will pop it into their basket and NOT spot any of the things you and I might notice. They will not care what the B-side is, what is or is not extended or remixed. Not at all. As long as they see KILLER QUEEN, BO RHAP, CHAMPIONS, ROCK YOU, FAT BOTS, BIKE RACE, DON'T STOP ME NOW, BEST FRIEND, SEVEN SEAS OF RHYE, etc, and all the great sleeves, and at a reasonable price, they will buy it. It's really as simple as that.

I myself have purchased boxes identical to this Queen Box 1, from artists like Marillion, Stranglers, Kate Bush, and recently a FANTASTIC Simon & Garfunkel one. I know next to nothing about these bands/artists. The boxes offered all the tracks I know, and they look great, and they were all under £50, So I bought them. I don't know or care what B-sides or Ext mixes they have, or are missing. But somewhere in the world, no doubt, there will be Simon/Garf fans, Marillion fans, saying, like you,.... "So what is there that more than about 10 people will actually want enough to buy this product?"

SOMEONE ELSE wrote... Why don't we complain direct to Brian's or just Boycot / not buying this crappy compilation ?

GB" You could do that, of course. But when 10,000 people buy this box within 6 or 8 weeks of release, and EMI is thinking of pressing more, to meet the demand, and then Brian and Roger and Jim get 4 or even 44 emails from unhappy fans, what do you suppose they will think???

"Stop the press! 9,996 people liked Box 1 enough to buy it, but 4 or 44 people on Queenzone don't like it very much, and regard it as sit in foil, we should stop it right now!"

This Box 1 is a really nice object to hold. The sleeves are great and Richard has done meticulous work that most of you will not even notice or think to look for. Put aside your premeditated prejudices, forget your automated negative reaction to everything that comes your way, and keep an open mind until you actually have this thing in your hands.

It's not what I imagined 2 years ago. It's different. But it's a lovely thing. I don't know about you, but finances are hard for MANY people here in the Uk right now, and elsewhere in Europe and the world, and though that's only a small consideration in the whole picture, it is significant to a lot of the people I spoke with in Montreux over the last weekend - who simply DO NOT HAVE £200 or £100.

Before you criticise the next Tim Burton film, and pull it apart for all the usual predictable reasons, from your armchair perspective, go see it first. Go and watch it. Make up your own mind for yourself without being influenced by all the others who have not seen it either. Do the same with Queen Singles Box 1. Hold it in your hands, look at at it. Imagine the full set. At the very least, wait til you have it before you slag it off. It's a very lovely item.

GB
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg

I have only one problem with this set. The price. That breaks down to £15.38 per CD. That's more than the new album!! for two songs!! For the record, I thought the Freddie box that I paid $175.00 US for was a hell of a deal!

But a question with the number of CDs: 13.

Why 13? I ask why because Queen avoided QUEENCD13 when the singles were originally issued, now 13 isn't a big deal anymore. Any thoughts?

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg, I personally was looking forward to a singles box, because of all the interesting single versions and edits of every country. For instance, the edits of 'Liar' or 'Teo Torriate', or any of the other singles that weren't necessarily Top 40 material. Does this mean we won't be getting the live edit of 'Love Of My Life' from 1979? Probably not, because it reached #63 in the UK.

Yeah, it's great that we're getting some of the B-sides (most of which are going to be available in the subsequent boxes), but I would have liked something a little more comprehensive. Unfortunately, just because it's pretty doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be worth buying.

Years ago, Elvis Costello released a three-box set of his singles between 1977 and 1987, which had twelve discs each and contained every known remix, B-side, and live version that was released on a single in any territory. What was cool was that each single was wrapped in a replica sleeve of the original UK release (or US, or whatever territory the single was exclusive to). I imported it into my iTunes, and listened to it periodically, getting all the rare tracks that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. That's what I was hoping this set would be like for Queen, and while they rarely released any particularly rare non-album things on their singles, I was looking forward to getting great sounding versions of the 1975 'Keep Yourself Alive' US edit, or what have you.

I'm not saying it's your fault, because it's not. From the sound of it, you had greater expectations for it, and, as a result, so did we. So can't you see how our initial reactions would be surprise and, yes, even anger that we didn't quite get what we wanted, or even what you had worked on? Sure, we should judge it when we get it, and not before, but considering the only song that we don't have on this set is the single version of 'Flick Of The Wrist', it's pretty easy to judge it already. I'll probably end up buying it, because I'm hoping that there's at least an informative booklet, but if subsequent boxes don't have the extended remixes, then what's the point?

Also, where did this arbitrary "Top 40" rule come from? Does that mean we won't be getting 'Calling All Girls' or 'Pain Is So Close To Pleasure'? The former is excusable, I suppose, but because the latter has a unique remix, both the single and extended versions, this would be the perfect place for it.

Anyway, all I can say is that don't you think some of the initial criticism is justified, considering what we were led to believe we'd get? Take a look at it from the Queen fans side: this was supposed to be for us, for the completists who have terrible sounding versions of the B-sides or who paid exorbitant amounts for the Japanese edition of 'Teo Torriate' because the last minute was shaved off for a clean edit. Now, that's nowhere to be seen, and instead we get a bit more padded out version of Greatest Hits I. It's a shame that the reaction is this way, but that's because EVERYONE - the fans, you, me, hell, even Queen Productions - knows it could have been so much better. Why should they pander to casual fans who would probably rather shell out $15 for Greatest Hits, or $35 for the Platinum Collection (which has all the hits they need anyway), instead of giving the diehards a little something extra? And the fact that you said "As long as they see Bohemian Rhapsody, Rock You, and Champions on there is enough make them buy it" (paraphrasing) sums up exactly QPL's thinking: if all the hits are on there, then the average schmo will shell out the money for it, and it's automatically a hit. But if all those songs are on there, PLUS 'Teo Torriate', 'Long Away', 'It's Late', 'Mustapha', or 'Pain Is So Close To Pleasure', then you'll still get a hit, plus people who would never have heard those songs before. Just because 10,000 people will buy it doesn't mean it's automatically good.

Daz85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1802 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 11:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for your words Greg. I would have liked to have seen the "ultimate" boxset you originally envisioned, but I see the logic behind this release. My main gripe is that it's a bit annoying having to change each CD over after only 2 tracks... it would have been much more convienient to have a compilation of tracks on fewer CDs, like the Freddie Solo Singles 1 & 2.

Also, will the later boxes contain the 12" extended mixes on the appropriate discs, as well as the regular 7" A and B sides? Thank you.

Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1059 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 12:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for coming on here and trying to explain the background Greg.

I find a lot of what you said and the rationale behind this release shocking.

It hasn't changed my mind about it.

Thanks.

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"
TheGame user not visiting Queenzone.com
Yes dear, i DO want it all ;)
TheGame
Royalty: 1076 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great that you ( Greg) took the way to QZ to give some light over this release.
I cant add so much, but i think Lester wrote a very fair and good comment regarding our view.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We all expected something COMPLETELY different, so don't be surprised that the first reactions are very bad. It may change later when it gets released and first fans will hold it in their hands

k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 535 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dear Queen Archivist

I just came across your post and I thought 'Is this guy really serious?'. I don't understand how a serious person (which I think you are?) can pay so much attention to all these comments on Queenzone? C'mon, that's not what I expect from someone who is looking after Queen's legacy! Freddie wouldn't give a shit about a few negative comments, would he?

Regards

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3039 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Greg for explaining yours, and the band's thoughts, behind this.

Unfortunately most of the reasons given for releasing it just don't stand up:

"They will not care what the B-side is, what is or is not extended or remixed. Not at all. As long as they see KILLER QUEEN, BO RHAP, CHAMPIONS, ROCK YOU, FAT BOTS, BIKE RACE, DON'T STOP ME NOW, BEST FRIEND, SEVEN SEAS OF RHYE, etc"

CMS: In this case, why bother having the single box released at all, or if so then why have the B sides there at all?? Why not just leave these people to buy one or more of the multitude of Greatest Hits packages already on the market at a much cheaper cost (as cost seems to be one of your main points for this set).

"I know next to nothing about these bands/artists. The boxes offered all the tracks I know, and they look great, and they were all under £50, So I bought them. I don't know or care what B-sides or Ext mixes they have, or are missing".

CMS: If you were just after songs you know well then you should have bought the greatest hits by these artists - probably available for about a fiver on CD, and saved yourself £40 or so

"certain of these mixes are identical to the original vinyl cuts"

CMS: Identical?? Does this mean they are the original masters too, as well? If not, they are not as per the original singles, even if the mix is the same. In fact, virtually all of Queen singles (with the odd exception) has always been the same MIX as the album version - perhaps you mean EDIT???

Did you buy Queen Rocks??? Or Live Aid? or Montreal or Live at the Bowl????

CMS: Of course JSS (and the rest of us did): Live Aid? Unique individual performance featuring medleys/live edits not performed any other time available for first time on Live Aid DVD box. Queen Rocks? Completely new version of a song, plus one other new one. Montreal? First time these versions on most songs, is available, plus Flash and The Hero. Live At The Bowl? Live Hot Space tracks never before available. These examples are NOT comparable to the singles box set.

"The sleeves are great and Richard has done meticulous work that most of you will not even notice"

CMS: What the point then?!!!?

"..it is significant to a lot of the people I spoke with in Montreux over the last weekend - who simply DO NOT HAVE £200 or £100"

CMS: Any chance then of a £15 set featuring just A Human Body, See What a Fool I've Been, Soul Brother etc.. etc..."??

"Before you criticise the next Tim Burton film, and pull it apart for all the usual predictable reasons, from your armchair perspective, go see it first. .

CMS: But even if we know the general outline of a Tim Burton film, we don't know the dialogue, the exact nature of what will happen, how it happens etc... I know for a fact what I would hear by playing these CDs - exactly what I have already on 7" vinyl (which sounds better than CD anyway).

"Go and watch it. Make up your own mind for yourself without being influenced by all the others who have not seen it either. Do the same with Queen Singles Box 1. Hold it in your hands, look at at it"

CMS: We don't want to look at it - this is, and always has been, about THE MUSIC. We don't care if the rare stuff, 12" mixes, B sides etc...come out stuffed inside a turd, once we HEAR it, that's when the magic happens. I can download a picture of virtually any single cover from anywhere in the world within the next couple of minutes. (and if not I could always buy your book when it finally comes out!!)

I do realise Greg that you are not responsible for what is released, but I don't quite know why you feel so duty bound to defend the release using such weak points when you must surely be as disappointed as us.

Even those people who say that they hate Q+PR are more likely to buy The Cosmos Rocks than this singles box I'm afraid.

A last glimmer of hope is that if the 12" single mixes have been pulled from the set, is the thinking that these will be released seperately on their own set at some point?

Cheers Greg - I hope you can see the validity in at least some of my counter-arguments

CMSDRUMS

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg: You miss my point.

While it is true that I have many 'doubles' or 'repeats' in my collection, I am not such a mindless slave that I have to purchase EVERYTHING with a Queen label on it.
So while it may also be true that I WILL continue to purchase 'new' product - and take in the 'Queen+Paul Rodgers tour' - I will certainly NOT be shelling out any of MY hard earned cash on this proposed collection.

Obviously, one's spending priorities change throughout a life-time. Credit crunch's, raised mortgage rates, higher inflation, expensive gas and food bills, children, grandchildren, pets - all take a slice out of the dwindling family budget - so realistically charging me for what I already own (and frankly can download for free anyways) - is NOT high on my priority list, and in these days of competeing financial resources, I do not believe this product offers value for money.
(On the other hand - a version of the SCC 24 master is very high on my priority list).

Now - I accept that I am talking about ME - for ME, and I allow others the freedom to spend THEIR monies how they wish (and I hope you extend the courtesy to allow me to do likewise), but, I honestly do NOT think I am in the minority this time around.

Queen are a business. I have no problem with that. They need to make a profit. I have no problem with that either. But, this time around, I do have a problem with this box-set, and I would be interested to see how well it sells (or vice versa).

As once said: "We can fool some of the people some of the time...", and a lack of sales could produce some very interesting consequences...

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 13:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was looking forward to the singles set for the edits, the b-sides, the extended or alternate mixes, and the book, with the little details and various foreign sleeves that I, as a fan, cream over. So that all or most of those things are excised from these releases is disappointing. I wanted to buy something that was pretty AND interesting, instead of something that's just pretty. Also, that the band and its management were presented with a thoroughly researched and reasonably complete product but chose to dumb it down for the sake of the mass market, while commercially understandable, is also disappointing. I understand the desire to break the set down into more reasonably purchasable chunks, but did the completeness of the content and the thoroughness of the information have to suffer? Surely with 13 CDs with 2 songs per disc, there was the opportunity to include more content at the same price point.

Blow it out your ass.
brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2237 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As the person who started the original "What is this shit?" thread, I still maintain that we shouldn't believe the "publicised" tracklisting. Let's wait until QPL themselves tell us what it is.
That said, it is true that most Queen fans want the B sides, extended mixes, edits and we are willing to pay for the same old same old just to get these gems thrown in. It's just that by dividing the set into 4 volumes means that volume one will contain either nothing or very little at best of what the fans actually want. Volume One is little more than an expanded Greatest Hits one set with a few extra tracks thrown in but with a greater price tag.

What I would like to say is that when I uploaded the first radio broadcast of "C-lebrity" a few weeks ago, 1728 people downloaded it from Queen Zone.
If the singles boxset is limited to 10,000 copies only, that equates to 1728 fans who quite possibly won't waste their money or, if you like, a whopping 17.28% of copies produced that won't automatically be snapped up by fans.
Go show that to EMI.

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, it must be great, I know very, very little, in fact, almost nothing about B-sides and different versions. And I love this kind of thing.

Now, problem is that it's funny! It's funny to read you guys talking because these things don't even make their way into my country. :-(

Really! Now, I don't understand the ITunes guys. None of the Itunes resources can be used by us - we can't buy music in the Itunes store, we can't buy the Itunes Originals, we can't...damn, do nothing in the Itunes store besides looking at pictures! And Brazil is a good market for music, I don't get it.

So, I hope this one will make its way into the country, because I can't find the Freddie Mercury Box Set.

You might say I'm kidding.

I'm not. I try hard to buy it. I go to the best stores, each month, and it's never there - the usual albums, OK, they're all there, and I bought them all, I bought the wonderful DVD releases, and the Blu-Ray release of Rock Montreal is just mind-boggling, so, I'm pretty much well served of Queen material.

There's a lot to listen to.

Now, of course, since the Freddie's box has been out for years, I'd love to have it, but guys don't bring it here! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Hahaha.

Now...what else, so, I find it exciting, because I love B-Sides, alternative versions, all these things, and I hope it actually makes into our stores, just like the other products in fact - the live DVDs, the Greatest Hits, they're all available here.

So, I'd mad if I started complaining because I didn't even have the time to listen to and watch carefully all I have already!

I hope I can find it here soon! And the Freddie Box Set too.

Take care you all!

Yara
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So... OK, it's not what you expected. It's a smaller set. Originally 156 items over 10 CDs, spanning 9 hours (from memory), and with a colossal book of text that most people would have criticised to hell without even reading. But, had we issued that, as planned (and actually handed in, by the way), you guys would now be saying... "£249 for a box. Are they joking? Who can afford that in these money-tight times? Don't 'they' know the world is on the brink of recession, with more people losing their homes than ever, and more bankrupt people than EVER before? QPL live in a dream world if they think we have ALL THIS money to spend at this time."

I WOULD buy this version ! It would be fantastic to have something like that !

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 14:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara wrote:

Wow, it must be great, I know very, very little, in fact, almost nothing about B-sides and different versions. And I love this kind of thing.

Now, problem is that it's funny! It's funny to read you guys talking because these things don't even make their way into my country. :-(

Really! Now, I don't understand the ITunes guys. None of the Itunes resources can be used by us - we can't buy music in the Itunes store, we can't buy the Itunes Originals, we can't...damn, do nothing in the Itunes store besides looking at pictures! And Brazil is a good market for music, I don't get it.

Maybe it's because of your ongoing monkey problems, as highlighted in The Simpsons a few years back..

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3039 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 14:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig wrote:

What I would like to say is that when I uploaded the first radio broadcast of "C-lebrity" a few weeks ago, 1728 people downloaded it from Queen Zone.
If the singles boxset is limited to 10,000 copies only, that equates to 1728 fans who quite possibly won't waste their money or, if you like, a whopping 17.28% of copies produced that won't automatically be snapped up by fans.
Go show that to EMI.

I think you can probably increase that 17.28% up too - they'll be those Q+PR haters that won't have downloaded C-lebrity, and those who wanted to hold off to buy it. I'd say it's probably 20%+ that may possibly not want to top up with another version of Greatest Hits

regmarha user not visiting Queenzone.com
regmarha
Rocker: 32 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Greg, great to hear your side. Yes, this product could very well please the Greatest Hits audiences wordlwide and I'm happy if the people who don't know much about the band are happy this Christmas. Business well done.

My problem here is that QPL produces a maximum of 1 product annually and this year's one is not interesting for us for many reasons (we're not the target group).

It would be a very different and happy crowd here if we had a separate product, or at least losless download options with the B sides, remixes, outtakes.

'The House of Parliament? Is it for sale? How many bedrooms? Do they have enough servants' quarters?'
AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 14:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pittrek that would be REALLY unfortunate if there were a ten c.d. box set that only had NINE hours of music on there. Frankly it would be rather unfortunate if a ten c.d. box set only had TEN hours of music on it. Hopefully a project like that would be maximized as much as possible with the space on discs.

Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

regmarha wrote:

My problem here is that QPL produces a maximum of 1 product annually and this year's one is not interesting for us for many reasons (we're not the target group).

It seems we're never the target group - or haven't been since the Freddie box in 2000. Eight years is a long time.

Blow it out your ass.