Forums > Queen - General Discussion > The Cosmos Rocks - got it today - my review

forum rss feed
Author

Mr. Bed Guy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 136 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi everyone!

I got the new album today (ok, some of you might think the f.....g earlier release in Germany...)! A very kind woman at the shop helped me and opened 7 boxes for me to find the album...

First of all: I´m a Queen fan for 23 years, since i was 15! I spent my last money to get to the tribute concert at London. I don´ hate Paul Rodgers! The Queen + Paul Rodgers thing is ok for me.

After I´ve heard the album three times now I can say:
- There´s very less "Queen" in it
- without Brians guitar nobody in the world would think it´s Queen-related
- It´a blues/rock - rock/blues - rock - blues -folk album
- nearly no catchy hooklines except "Cosmos Rockin´"(which is a very simple rock´n roll song)
- C-lebrity is not a masterpiece but one of the best songs on the album. That says it all.
- no theater, no pop, no classical moments

When I listen to it there is no "Queen" feeling. It´s like listening to an average rock album. Not bad at all, but no heartbeat. It´s kind of something new.
Perhaps exactly what the guys wanted....

"We Believe" should become a nice ballad. It would have been a perfect song for Mike& The Mechanics.

I don´t want to rate every single song here.
But have very mixed feelings ´bout this album.
Too many fillers, too less classical moments.

Are there any other guys who have heard the album yet?
What do you think?

jazzy mercurois user not visiting Queenzone.com
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd add "BRIAN'S PLAYING IS SLOPPY" and "PAUL SOMETIMES SINGS OUT OF TUNE"... and I guess I agree with everything you said.

Cheers,
Hor

CONLACANTINACONLACANTORACONLATELEVISIONGASTADORA
brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2160 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Most people are going to hate it on first listen.
I say go listen to it a few more times and you'll start to love it.

This IS Queen.
This is Queen 18 years on after their lead singer died.
This is a natural progression and I reckon Freddie would have tackled the slower Bluesier numbers long before now.

"We Believe" is the best song on the album - written by Roger I reckon.

The only negative is the Up-Down (or High-Low) nature of the track order.

Here's hoping they record another few albums BUT (If you're reading this BM, RT) we still would like the Anthology boxset and some "new" Freddie material before we all die please!

Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 11:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Bed Guy wrote:

Hi everyone!

I got the new album today (ok, some of you might think the f.....g earlier release in Germany...)! A very kind woman at the shop helped me and opened 7 boxes for me to find the album...

First of all: I´m a Queen fan for 23 years, since i was 15! I spent my last money to get to the tribute concert at London. I don´ hate Paul Rodgers! The Queen + Paul Rodgers thing is ok for me.

- nearly no catchy hooklines except "Cosmos Rockin´"(which is a very simple rock´n roll song)
- C-lebrity is not a masterpiece but one of the best songs on the album. That says it all.

When I listen to it there is no "Queen" feeling. It´s like listening to an average rock album. Not bad at all, but no heartbeat. It´s kind of something new.

"We Believe" should become a nice ballad. It would have been a perfect song for Mike& The Mechanics.

What do you think?

you are right, there is no Queen because freddie wasnt there to put his classical music influence and genius songwriting into this. It just shows who was the mind behind Queen but i already knew that long time ago.

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 12:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The album isn´t bad at all.
It´s average.

But I´ve never been a blues fan. Queen never were a bluesy band(exept that crappy Brian b-side of Slightly Mad).

So: Do I have to love it? No! I respect it and give it 20 more listenings. Perhaps it will grow to me.

BAD HORSIE: Yes, you´re right. In "Through The Night" Paul´s vocals are really out of range.

A few minutes ago my wife came in when I played that song. She said "What´s that??? It sounds like Turkish!!!"

Markman38 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 295 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 12:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always thought that See what a fool I've been also rather bluesy was

Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I knew this album would suck LONG before it was even planned.

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Markman38 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 295 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you are right, there is no Queen because freddie wasnt there to put his classical music influence and genius songwriting into this. It just shows who was the mind behind Queen but i already knew that long time ago.

what are you doing on this forum if the only thing you have to say that Queen is not queen because of Freddie's death. The strange thing I agree with you on that point after heraing the new album, but it seems like that is the only thing you have to say rather go deep into the music. If Freddie is God for you listen to your God he was the one the wanted the other one to go on

mooghead user is on Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3613 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"This IS Queen"

No it isn't. The front cover on the album clearly states who it is.

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 12:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, I forgot "See What A Fool I´ve Been"
But the blues songs of Queen always only were attemps.
I guess you know what I mean....

Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

I knew this album would suck LONG before it was even planned.

I knew you would suck long before you were an accident

:)
david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2017 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thanks for the review.

Mack2008 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mack2008
Bohemian: 111 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only track on the album that gives me a slight cringe is We Believe.
I guess its because its so "Bris Soapbox" in its nature.

At least its followed directly by the upbeat and boppy Call Me !

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Bed Guy wrote:

What do you think?

http://queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=1129320

Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4685 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 14:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

Yawn.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Hitman1965 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hitman1965
Bohemian: 247 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 15:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

Mr. Bed Guy wrote:

Hi everyone!

What do you think?

Sorry have to disagree with you here - I think the new songs are Queen - that is Queen 2008 plus an extremely talented lead man. If you and a range of others here are so anti Queen and Paul Rodgers you should go and form your own forum and leave the rest of us to have some fun without this endless whinging (to complain or protest, especially in an ANNOYING or PERSISTENT manner.) I'd also add irritating to the definition. I've got an opinion as well as the next person but I don't keep going on and on and on and on and on about it at every opportunity.

Hope that Queen and Paul Rodgers continue to record loads more music together even if it's just to cheese off certain so called 'fans'.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish Queen would have made ALL their albums sound like Queen I. I mean, it just wasn't the same after that. Bands that evolve are doomed to failure. The key to success is listening to your one-dimensional fanbase and sticking with THEIR ideas, not yours. After all, the one CD and possible vinyl release that they buy makes all the difference in the world.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@ Bad Horsie
@ Treasure Moment

How many Queen albums do you have? I have them all... every one. And in most cases, more than one pressing. For Example, I have DATR (that's Day At The Races) on US LP, US & UK Cassette, 1st CD (UK), and the Hollywood '91 release on CD.

I also have things like Classic Queen (Capitol) and 15 of the Best (K-Tel) and the Starfleet LP. My point is that I've pretty much gravitated to the Queen section since 1980.

But when some clown comes on here who was born AFTER Innuendo was released and tells me that Innuendo was their best album ever, how am I supposed to take you seriously? How are you the judge of their "best album ever"?

Even a guitarist, like you Horsie, who can obviously play, makes such shallow points. I've been listening to Vai since Zappa. He's great. Flexable is one of my favorite guitar albums of that genre. But I doubt you have the leftovers CD. And I've never heard you reference his half-ass attempt with Whitesnake.

So go on, music critics, perhaps you're just putting a resume together for Rolling Stone.

Hitman1965

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes you are 100% right after Queen's first album it just was never the same again. Maybe they should only ever have had the one album and re-released it every year but put the songs in a different order. After Freddie died maybe it should have only been right for both Brian and Roger to have publicly topped themselves and insisted that everyone else follow their example.

Hitman1965

Posted: 11 Sep 08, 16:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Totally agree with all of Microwave's comments 110%. I've been following Queen since 1974 - yes I'm that old, and really really get ticked by some snotty little so and so who thinks they are gods gift to music. No problem with everyone having an opinion, the problem starts when you think that EVERYONE else shouldn't have one and that unless they agree with you they are simply wrong. Some people really really need to grow up.

I get a great deal of enjoyment out of listening to everything Queen and Queen related. I don't expect everyone else to but there you go. I don't for example start looking for say a Metallica forum and start ranting to everyone just how much I think everythng they do is rubbish do I so why call yourself a Queen fan and continously dribble on about how much you miss Freddie. Can you answer a few simple questions please - just how many real Queen + Freddie concerts have you been to? How old were you when Freddie died and could you really explain to the rest of Queen Zone just what makes your opinions so important.

I don't like every record that Queen ever released but I don't become so anti real world to constantly upset everyone else. It starts to come over like some kind of negative online conditioning that you expect everyone to eventually change their opinions - hate to tell you this but it's just not going to happen.

Hope you have a great day Monday once the album get's it official release I know one Queen fan who is really going to be overjoyed with the prospect.