Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Poor Review of The Cosmos Rocks from The London Times

forum rss feed
Author

Soul Brother user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 411 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Cosmos Rocks

Rodgers, May and Taylor might sound like a law firm, but it's less misleading than Brian May and Roger Taylor passing off this sparkle-free set as Queen. Cosmos Rockin' sounds like boffins getting loose and the single C-lebrity is actually shallower than its subject. The daft Surf's Up School's Out, surely the cry of the Cornish educator, is better, as is the power ballad Say it's Not True. As slick pensioner blues-rock goes this is perfectly acceptable. But the odd Eastern scale aside, its charms rarely evoke the idiosyncratic sound of Queen.

(Parlophone)

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/cd_reviews/article4717628.ece

He's my best friend he's my champion
vadenuez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 263 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No one asks Guns n' Roses from Velvet Revolver, although that's what they are, with a different singer.

Once again, those are the consequences of calling themselves Queen. They'll be judged as Queen, not as a new band. And they'll got to be the losers in the end.

fredcury merdie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 17:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Richard Orchard wrote:

Got admin - it doesn't sound like "Queen". It is a different band.

well if thats the case WHY are they still using the name QUEEN,QUEEN were 4 friends who had a passion for the music they wrote....brian,roger & paul are NOT QUEEN so why don't they use an original name of their own and not cash in on the name QUEEN like they have been what happened to "the brian may band" or "the cross"??? not making enough money so time to cash in and find a new way of making more money...oh let's use the name "QUEEN" oh let's help an has been get money for his pension

David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2468 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 18:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The press never like the Queen anyway, so why should Q+PR be bothered.

Whether the band was called Queen, Q+PR or Green Onions, they would have got the same reception.

Having said that, I do hate C-Lebrity and am not expecting much from this new album.

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2017 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

green onions.christ theres a name from an age long ago..touch of booker t

david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2017 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 18:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i have a copy of the cosmos rocks(saturday girl in woolies didnt realise wasnt on sale yet lol) and i think its fucking magic.

im_on_the_wembley_dvd user not visiting Queenzone.com
im_on_the_wembley_dvd
Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 19:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

who gives a crap what some news writer has to say, probably more into westlife,all i care about is my copy is on its way along with my concert tickets like David i think its brilliant !!!

There can be only one
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 22:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is a news item? So what... Queen always got bad reviews. This is nothing new.

Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 23:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're missing the point.

They may sound like a different band now, but why did they have to sound like such a bad one?

the dude user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 23:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hasn't every album gotten bad reviews? There is no such thing as a Criticology degree. It's some opinionated and miserable piece of shit who gets to criticize for a living. Critics hate the music and movies I like. So screw them. Dont even bother reading them. Let's not forget how the media and critics went after Freddie

PieterMC

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 23:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ken8 wrote:

They may sound like a different band now, but why did they have to sound like such a bad one?

Sorry, they sound great.

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 23:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

Ken8 wrote:

Sorry, they sound great.

Oh, okay cloth ears

PieterMC

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 23:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ken8 wrote:

PieterMC wrote:

Ken8 wrote:

Sorry, they sound great.

Oh, okay cloth ears

Nothing wrong with my ears. Sorry you don't like it, but I do.

Grantcdn1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 104 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The new album is great...the individual songs and the whole album....and they just rocked the Ukraine....it is "Queen and Paul Rodgers" so it is a different name.....sounds better than Green onions....and why the heck would they call themselves something different after founding Queen anyway...

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 00:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think it's a terrible album. I think it's unmemorable though, and that's disappointing.

They're better than this; maybe I'm being sentimental when I say that, but I believe that the guy who wrote "Save Me" can come up with a song that doesn't have to rhyme 'street' with 'beat' or 'feet'.
And when someone told me "We Believe" was too much like Brian's Soapbox, I had no idea they were being serious.... the song is one giant rant that only rarely makes any attempt to resolve itself lyrically (not that I think a song 'must' always rhyme to be any good).

They're decent, staple songs, but just throwing guitar orchestration on top of them doesn't make them brilliant, in my view. I'm trying to sound reasonable here.. hah.

As players and singers, they've all shown they can still do it. I was only hoping for the songs themselves to be a little stronger, is all.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 02:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Grantcdn1 wrote:

The new album is great...the individual songs and the whole album....and they just rocked the Ukraine....it is "Queen and Paul Rodgers" so it is a different name.....sounds better than Green onions....and why the heck would they call themselves something different after founding Queen anyway...

Errr, because it's no longer Queen?? Sure don't sound like it, which more than anything surprised me even more so.

As for "rocking" the Ukraine. Christ, Zebonka could do that.

I have to agree with Zebonka's sentiments though. Again, considering who is involved on this album, it is underwhelming and in my opinion, imaginatively bankrupt.

Heck, that Crazy Little Thing rip off on there is a repeated chorus with hardly any depth to it. And if it's supposedly a new band like the sheep are telling us, why the WWRY drums?

Sorry, but I feel they're trying to be all things to all fans, and probably overcompensating for the inclusion of Rodgers. It ends up pleasing nobody but the sheep who would buy anything with a Queen sticker on it.

Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 03:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the real name should have been SMILE+Paul rodgers

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 03:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't even think it qualifies for a Smile connection. The Cosmos Rocks screams pedestrian FM radio rock.

The Cosmos Rocks...guys, Sammy Hagar just called. He wants his lyrics back.

s.m. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 05:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

the real name should have been

SMILE+Paul Rodgers-Tim Staffell

She was my lover

It was a shame that she died

But the constitution´s right on my side

Cos I cought my lover in my neighbours bed

I got retribution, filled´em full of lead