Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Salvo Bruno's "The Fallen Priest" on YouTube

forum rss feed
Author

SomebodyWhoLoves user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 842 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This guy is really really really good. I think he gives Freddie a run for his money!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVnEBoBytVg

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Based on hearing Salvo Bruno's singing, his range is superior to Freddie Mercury, and more powerful too.

Freddie Mercury could only really sing at most, an A4, not including the "Yelling" that he was apt to do later on in his career.

This Bruno, can actually sing up to a C5. That is a real Tenor's range.

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really really appreciate Salvo's rendition of "The Fallen Priest" here. It's actually superior to Freddie's version. I know the Freddie fans will revolt and call me all kind of names but unlike other Queen fans, I can appreciate other singers and artists. I evaluate objectively.

As a Singer, Salvo Bruno is superior to Freddie Mercury. Sorry. that's the truth.

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 18:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazing. I just compared the verse "you're destroying my world" that is in key c5.

Freddie's c5 is thin, and weak sounding, almost like a cat's screechy screm. And this is in Studio. Brunos is live, but his sounds much more solid, and strong.

Bruno just totally destroyed Freddie's version.

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 19:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow! That was really well-done!

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
BigJ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 20:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To SomebodyWhoLoves: Freddie was a baritone, certainly by this point in his career. Also, music isn't about technical prowess. It's about soul. The whole Barcelona album perfectly capture's Freddie's creative spirit, and any imperfections in his vocal technique are absolutely irrelevant to the listening experience.

Posted: 13 Sep 08, 23:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BigJ wrote:

To SomebodyWhoLoves: Freddie was a baritone, certainly by this point in his career. Also, music isn't about technical prowess. It's about soul. The whole Barcelona album perfectly capture's Freddie's creative spirit, and any imperfections in his vocal technique are absolutely irrelevant to the listening experience.

I was only comparing Bruno and Freddie as Singers. Of course, Freddie was much more than just a vocalist. He was an Entertainer, a Genius Musician, Song Writer, Composer.

I have no idea whether Bruno can compose songs but he can definitely sing great.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 00:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great singer. I miss Freddie's rougher edge though, this song needs it. That's what made it interesting; a rock singer trying opera. I don't think it always worked, but there you go.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller