Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Cosmos Rocks gets a 1 Star review in The Observer

forum rss feed
Author

Soul Brother user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 411 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Disappointing review of The Cosmos Rocks in The Observer today.

Peter Kimpton The Observer, Sunday September 14 2008

Oh dear. Imagine Brian got his astrophysics PhD in '72, took that career path instead, and only formed a band now, aged 61. The result might be pub rock tosh with stadium reverb, Mud/'Quo boogie ('Cosmos Rockin"), anthemic mush ('Call Me'), and lyrics like 'I've got a pain in my memory'. What an astronomically bad parallel universe. Queen's star is dead.

He's my best friend he's my champion
Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 23:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyone seen a good review yet?

Cosmos Rocks, a sad footnote to an illustrious career.

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 01:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Excellent job of spreading the negativity Ken8.

Keep it up bro.
You're doing great.

Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 02:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ken8 wrote:

yeah it was a BAD idea to use the Queen name, why ruin their legacy with this?

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

rockthecosmos2008 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 71 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 02:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bollocks to the observer and all the reveiws, The Miracle got a bad review, but it's still a great album, long live Queen, See you in Birmingham oct 16th 2008

Come On Down let's Rock This Place....Suck It To Me!!!
kingogre user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 425 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 02:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ken8 wrote:

A career of crappy reviews. Id say they are carrying on the Queen tradition very good in that regard.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 03:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

Ken8 wrote:

Paraphrasing another forum member: People who complain about a band's legacy being "ruined" are like children complaining that their parents are spending their inheritance.

The new material is nothing exceptional or an act of genius but I am enjoying it a lot. Some songs I love, some leave me thinking that they could have done better (arrangement-wise, for instance) but they are very enjoyable.

Some people say the album is all over the place and the band sounds like other artists in several songs (U2?, Sting?, Lionel Ritchie?) but this is not necessarily bad.

On the other hand, many fans think that Queen out-punked the Sex Pistols with "Sheer Heart Attack" or that they beat Michael Jackson in his game with AOBTD or even that they "out-Boltoned" Michael Bolton with "One Year of Love". Hell, "Who Needs you" must be better than anything made by every latin artist that ever lived!

Many people praise Queen for playing many genres but now it's a bad thing?

I'm looking forward to the live shows. They sounded and looked great in the Ukraine gig (except for some backing vocals being off) and I'm sure this would be one hell of a tour! :)

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 03:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wiley wrote:
Many people praise Queen for playing many genres but now it's a bad thing?

When it's done so poorly, yes.

It's ridiculous to compare Queen's multi genre output of the past with this poor effort.

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 03:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tilltheendoftime wrote:

Bollocks to the observer and all the reveiws, The Miracle got a bad review, but it's still a great album, long live Queen

The Miracle, interesting comparison.

I like the overlooking of the current state of critical thoughts on Queen. It's pretty well a given that, despite poor critical responses in the past, most music critics have come to admit (some begrudgingly) that Queen with Freddie Mercury, and Fred himself, were infact poorly treated at the time.

The Cosmos Rocks only highlights the fact that those glory days are beyond them.

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 03:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Knute wrote:

Excellent job of spreading the negativity Ken8.

Keep it up bro.
You're doing great.

What do you expect? Because I've been a fan of Queen for thirty years I should accept any old guff they release?

I don't have to spread any negativity. In the real world it seems people with much wider platforms are queing up to tell it like it is.

Major Tom user not visiting Queenzone.com
S.D.M.F
Major Tom
Bohemian: 878 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 03:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

Ken8 wrote:

Ken8------------Yeah, Ivé seen a couple of good reviews right here. Not "professional" but good reviews. TM------ Ok, FUCK OFF OUTTA HERE! Noone want´s your opinion about anything cause we all know you´re so full of shit that it comes through your nose when you sneeze. If you want, I can hook you up with a fullsize Freddie Mercury sexdoll with phrases like: "Is that all you got?" and "I need a bigger one!", so we might not see your bullshit threads and replys for some time. They make me throw up a little in my mouth everytime I see them.

It´s better to burn out than to fade away.
brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2237 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 04:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I knew that the album would split fandom right down the middle.
At this stage, all I'm prepared to say to those people who think the album is rubbish is this:
If you lived in 1974 and all you'd heard was Queen & Queen II, what would you have made of The Miracle?
Nuff said.

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 04:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig wrote:

At this stage, all I'm prepared to say to those people who think the album is rubbish is this:
If you lived in 1974 and all you'd heard was Queen & Queen II, what would you have made of The Miracle?
Nuff said.

What a inane, rubbish hypothetical.

What if The Cosmos Rocks followed any Queen album at any time? What if you heard Made In Heaven, then Cosmos Rocks? Big step down.

A bad record is a bad record whenever it's released. A bad, out of touch album is even worse.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 04:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ken8 wrote:

A bad record is a bad record whenever it's released. A bad, out of touch album is even worse.

Who exactly do you expect the band to be "in touch" with Ken?

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
kingogre user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 425 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 04:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ken8 wrote:

brians wig wrote:

Nuff said.

What if The Cosmos Rocks followed any Queen album at any time? What if you heard Made In Heaven, then Cosmos Rocks? Big step down.

What is bad or not is just someones opinion. Stop trying to shov yours down everyone elses throat. There ARE lots of people here who thinks this is a good album. Their opinions are every bit as valid as yours. So it isnt to your tastes, thats sad for you if you were really looking forward to this. But it is very much to my taste and to any others. Thats ethe way music works, and thats the way with all of Queens albums.

Cant help but wondering what some people were expecting though...

Major Tom user not visiting Queenzone.com
S.D.M.F
Major Tom
Bohemian: 878 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 05:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I myself think the album is great. But like many has stated, this is no longer Freddie Mercurys Queen, it´s Brian, Roger and Pauls Queen. So I wasn´t sure if I was going to like it. But I did and I´m glad they keep their careers going. The only bad thing about the album is it´s title and the title track; The Cosmos Rocks. IMO Still burning would be a better choice of title. And I think many woulod agree with me. It´s more likely to have a negative approach to the album with a title like that. Am I wrong?

It´s better to burn out than to fade away.
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 05:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig wrote:

Nuff said.

I am one of those who were there at the beginning. And you are right - I struggle with The Miracle to be honest. Of all the albums I have, this one is up there with Hot Space on the "rarely played" list.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
s.m. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 05:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

henke1980 wrote:

this is no longer Freddie Mercurys Queen, it´s Pauls Queen.

mhahahahahaha

She was my lover

It was a shame that she died

But the constitution´s right on my side

Cos I cought my lover in my neighbours bed

I got retribution, filled´em full of lead

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 06:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

Ken8 wrote:

Who exactly do you expect the band to be "in touch" with Ken?

Oh, I don't know. Something unique that engages the masses like the old days.

Kids do buy rock albums today. I'm not sure how many will get into this relic.

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 06:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kingogre wrote:

Ken8 wrote:

brians wig wrote:

Nuff said.

What is bad or not is just someones opinion. Stop trying to shov yours down everyone elses throat.

LOL! Priceless. As long as people say it's good, I'll keep saying it's average and far below their talent.