Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Watched Kharkov..Opinions

forum rss feed
Author

turini user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One of the best shows i have ever seen but.. i can count many times where Paul forgets the lyrics :( this is the only band I have seen with a prompter at the front of the stage with the words on it. come on Paul use it!

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 22:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

turini wrote:

One of the best shows i have ever seen but.. i can count many times where Paul forgets the lyrics :( this is the only band I have seen with a prompter at the front of the stage with the words on it. come on Paul use it!

Well forgetting lyrics is a first show tradition for Paul. He's done it at every tour start, but he eventually gets them in his head.

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 22:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Most of the groups I have seen in recent years have started using them. It's the result of drug and alcohol use.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 22:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a bit normal.

Any time we play new songs or new covers live, I sometimes make a mistake here or there, as was for example the case at our last show, I got into the 2nd verse and guitar solo section of KISS' "Rock and Roll All Night" a bit too early following the snare rolls leading into them...which was a bit funny, cos the one time we did that song before that, I didn't flub up at all. Maybe I was getting too into the moment??
Mind you, the guys had quite a bit of beer to drink before we played, as it was a bar show and also sort of an unofficial birthday show for our bassist who just turned 18 before then. I abstained from the boozing of course :-)

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 22:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In Rodgers case it's a sudden learning curve of songs he didn't write and each new entry I've noticed will usually give him some issues a couple of shows and then he's flawless. Dragon Attack gave him some trouble the first few gigs that had it, but then he mastered it.

Mack2008 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mack2008
Bohemian: 111 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 22:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting point about the lyrics prompter.

I saw Bowie using one in the mid 90s.

Paul looked VERY comfortable singing Cosmos Rocks. I almost got the feeling that it was change in pace for the whole band.

Overall this concert was very very good.
I think Roger showed his age a little during his singing of "In Love With My Car" - having said that - considering their ages and how tough it must be do perform such a big show they did a fantastic job.

Lets hope the rest of the tour has more new album material performed live. Time to rotate out some of the old regular tracks we've all heard SO many times.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 23:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You wanna see an artist forgetting the words to the songs, you go see Keith Richards... hooboy!

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 23:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very good show, it towers as a tour opener in comparison with the Brixton show from last time.

Negatives:
1.) I have a BIG problem with the short Brighton Rock tease going into a couple of guitar tracks and not coming back into his traditional solo. This above all things is what I love in Queen. His live solo is the anticipated peak for me and while I loved My Bijou, I felt it cost too high a price in stripping the solo down.

2.) Rodgers missed lyrics left and right, but then again it didn't matter much to me because I know he'll improve with time. The Say It's Not True last line kind of made a cute joke about it.

3.) Roger's voice was torn up. Some shows he's not able to sing well, some he sings better than anyone, but this was one of those itchy throat days or whatever it is.

4.) Tie Your Mother Down, WWRY/WATC and ALL Right Now as encoe, Another One Bites The Dust, etc., all are songs I could do without their permanent status as must plays. Die hard Queen fans would likely sacrifice them for a replacement from the older days.

5.) Hammer To Fall by Rodgers was so perfect with the slower version and I wish they'd return to it or take it off the list.

Positives:

1.) My Bijou, even though it interrupted the solo early, it was so great with the Freddie video/audio play-in, and what a great Brian live track.

2.) 39/Say It's Not True were each done collectively and I like that change.

3.) Striking Can't Get Enough Of Your Love was cool. I wish the Queen dinosaur songs like WWRY/WATC could follow it's fate.

4.) The band sounded a lot more like the USA tour in that they were much more connected as a 6 man operation.

5.) New tracks from Cosmos Rocks were few played, and very good live decisions to play the 3 they chose.

6.) I like the Paul seperation, it gives a Queen show with a nice break when we don't mind much, and they really do Wishing Well so good it stands as one of the best of the night plays.

7.) Most return songs from last tour were done either with more polish and mastery, or in many cases they put the songs into a slightly different design sounding more natural or at least more interesting.

8.) One Vision and Shooting Star were positive add ons, but I still wish they added more changes including surprise non-hits from past albums, or at least like One Vision is the choice of classic hits not played with Paul, Keep Yourself Alive, Now I'm Here and Innuendo are 3 obvious possibilities.

9.) I love the theme, stage design, extended length and committment to at most things being different in a small on up to large way, giving the first show enough of a difference from the tour from last time which shifted throughout almost as much start to finish as this does 1st show from previous tour shows.

10.) Last but not least, in fact it's probably the best item, BRIAN MAY!!! Singing and Guitar, as perfect as it gets and he starts this tour in peak form. He was MVP of this show without question. And I love that Moses assists him now on a Red Special clone instead of his Les Paul. The idea of two Red Specials live is a no brainer, and I cannot see anything more impossible to argue against as long as they choose to tour with a support guitarist behind May.

For a Queen grade, i'd give this show a B- knocking a full mark down because of the Brighton Rock downsizing. I hope this isn't a tour decision. If I could influence May, i'd ask him to retire Lost Horizon for Bijou in it's place to follow like last tour, played after a long BR with a Chinese Water Torture segment. Last Horizon is GREATNESS, but it's delete for Bijou would characterize both current and last tour, giving the song and last tour more distinction.

Compliance Queen1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 67 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 08, 23:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am glad Brian's solo had been trimmed.

2013 ..a Great Year in Queen

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 03:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I already wrote this in the Sharing forum...

The highlights for me were Shooting Star, 39 "unplugged" with the whole band, Bijou, Say It's Not True which sounds amazing without the echos of the studio version and they dropped the slow version of Hammer To Fall, great. Cosmos Rocking has a fun feeling I did not perceive that way on the album.

The downside was the AKOM tour intro with One Vision and the video screen with all these additional visuals nobody really needs and only distract from the music (like Elton John in Las Vegas). The video screen is good when they show stage details. I could well live without some of the done-to-death songs but I don't want to start a boring set list discussion and 147 minutes are worth our money, no matter how often they play good old TYMD and FBG. I think they will add more songs from the new album as the tour proceeds.

I do not want any google ads here.

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 04:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like the show very much. Some great songs and new suprises But have a few negative points as I stated in some earlier mails.

I think Brian May hasn't improved his guitar style a bit since the last Queen concert back in 1986. I loved his speed licks on the Brian May - Back to the light tour 1993. I may sound very hard but I just don't like it. For instance; He totally fucks up the AMAzing guitar licks in SINT and does instead a bit of his usual bending. Too bad. That guitar solo is predictable for the last 20 years.

I think they didn't make a good choice for Roger in the setlist to let him work so hard on the drum Solo and let him sing IILWMC after that. It's sounds to weak in my opinion.

Paul has to stick more to the lyrics and maybe repeat some more. :-)

The should drop AOBTD. Paul just isn't the right person to get the audience wild during the music intermezzo and connect with them

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

turini wrote:

Q+PR may be the only band you have seen to use a prompter, but they are far from being the only band to use them. There is plenty of them. A classic example is The Beautiful South who used them on every single show they did. Another example is Black Sabbath when Ian Gillan sang for them.

To paraphrase something Brian said years ago, I would rather see Paul going full pelt, mistakes and all, rather than having him stop to read the prompter every time he forgets a line or two.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 05:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

turini wrote:

i can count many times where Paul forgets the lyrics :(

Did you also count how many times Brian hit the wrong chord/note? It seems some Queen fans feel the need to complain about every little mistake Paul makes while ignoring the lapses of their own precious Queen heroes.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3038 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 07:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The lyrics teleprompters are used by a hell of a lot of bands, but are usually 'hidden' inside on stage monitor wedges so that to the audience it just looks like a speaker.

Guns n Roses used them every show on the Use Your Illusions tours, and Axl wote the bloomin' songs! I can therefore forgive Paul Rodgers the odd slip up when trying to remember 30 odd songs, most of which he'd never heard before forming QPR, and others of his own which were years and years old!

Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 07:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd like to know when Brian is going to get the solo right on the intro to One Vision, he totally ballsed it up at Hyde Park and now again last week, he's only got to watch the Wembley DVD!

Chom own mudder fukker.
Major Tom user not visiting Queenzone.com
S.D.M.F
Major Tom
Bohemian: 878 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 10:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really have nothing to complain about exept that I think that SMGO settles better in the later part of the set than in the early. Also it might just be me but is Brin struggeling at times? He still plays like a god but he makes a couple of easy mistakes IMO, then again, it´s the first gig.

It´s better to burn out than to fade away.
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

henke1980 wrote:

I really have nothing to complain about exept that I think that SMGO settles better in the later part of the set than in the early. Also it might just be me but is Brin struggeling at times? He still plays like a god but he makes a couple of easy mistakes IMO, then again, it´s the first gig.

Err... he's been struggling for almost 10 years now... You never noticed before??

Brian_Mays_Wig

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jjeroen wrote:

henke1980 wrote:

Err... he's been struggling for almost 10 years now... You never noticed before??

I thought the guitar on the 2005 tour was fantastic, especially AKOM and TSMGO, close to the originals, but recently there has been some total fuck ups! I think he sometimes tries to be a bit too clever, he should just keep it simple.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Major Tom user not visiting Queenzone.com
S.D.M.F
Major Tom
Bohemian: 878 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BTW who was that blonde chick they kept zooming in? She was kinda hot.

It´s better to burn out than to fade away.
Brian_Mays_Wig

Posted: 15 Sep 08, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wasnt she the patron of the Aids charity they were playing for or something....ill try n find a link.

Chom own mudder fukker.