Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Chart listings for overseas Queen singles

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 07:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is no doubt going to be about as popular as a fat and/or unattractive person in an episode of CSI Miami or Desperate Housewives (or indeed any American drama where only the beautiful people are seen), I know that, but I'll ask it anyway...

I have been trying to establish for ages, two years or more, the Queen singles and album chart positions in countries such as France, Spain, Germany, Hungary, Portugal, Yugoslavia, New Zealand, etc.

At this moment in time we cannot determine, for example, if ONE YEAR OF LOVE was a top 40 hit in Spain and France, or not, or if PRINCES OF THE UNIVERSE made the Australian top 40, and this seems crazy in these days of the www. What number did MUSTAPHA get to in Germany?? Did it even chart?? And so on....

Here in the UK we have a well known book, updated annually, called THE GUINESS BOOK OF HIT RECORDS, and it holds details of every UK hit album or single from the 1950s right up to date. Thus, it's very easy to see what number each disc achieved in any given year.

Surely there must have been similar publications, in some form or other, in Spain, France, Germany, Hungary, etc??? Music newspapers with the full chart listings for every given week, such as NME and MM here in the UK. Surely there must be Queen fans in those territories who collected those things throughout the 70s and 80s???? There are literally hundreds of such people here in the UK, but none, apparently, in Spain, France, Germany, Portugal, Australia, etc. It's very peculiar, and rather illogical it seems to me.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

How difficult can it be to determine basic facts and figures that would certainly have been public domain information at the time - if not now?

I've asked EMI in those territories... but they don't retain that kind of data.... so they say.

Thanks

GB
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't suppose the fan club has any info?
I seem to remember reading chart positions around the world in something sent out from them years ago..

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 07:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably a stupid, obvious thing to say, but have you already tried Brian's personal catalogue of info? He is renowned for collecting items, stats etc..

It's unbelievable isn't it that the record companies didn't track chart positions etc... overseas; how on earth did they track sales numbers then, and therefore pay correct royalties to performers, producers etc..?

Alas I don't have this info, but hopefully someone will - maybe Jacky at the Fan Club, or Jim Jenkins are good starting points. Maybe John Reid etc(as manager) would have some data from the 70's??

Wouldn't it be even slightly amusing if the singles box sets, archives sets, memorabilia books etc are all released, then years later it turns out that good old John Deacon has a loft absolutely crammed full of stats, newspaper cuttings, demos, live tracks etc... that none of the others have?!!?

Serious point here Greg - has anyone asked John if he has anything for these projects???

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 08:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In Germany the singles charts are compiled and archived by media control

http://www.media-control.de/musik-chart-history.html

Scroll dow on the page and click on email. They will compile a list of Queen chart positions for you. I suppose they will charge something but surely you can ask that yourself.

I do not want any google ads here.

niall user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg, There may be some information found by joining here...
http://australian-charts.com/forum.asp

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote:

Probably a stupid, obvious thing to say, but have you already tried Brian's personal catalogue of info? He is renowned for collecting items, stats etc..

GB: WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF LOGGING ALL THAT STUFF RIGHT NOW. BUT THERE ARE NO FRENCH, SPANISH, HUNGARIAN CHART LISTINGS... ONLY THE ENGLISH MATERIAL GATHERED BY BRIAN AND HIS PARENTS.... MOSTLY ANYWAY.

I'M SURE THERE WILL BE THE ODD AUSTRALIAN, NZ, CANADIAN ONE, THAT'LL BE USEFUL.

YOU SEE... IMAGINE IF WE FOUND A LIST FROM FRANCE, 1986, THAT HAS ONE YEAR OF LOVE AT NO 41. DID IT CLIMB HIGHER IN SUBSEQUENT WEEKS???? I DON'T KNOW. MAYBE. BUT IF WE CAN'T PROVE IT, WE CAN'T USE IT, AND THAT'D BE A SHAME... AND POSSIBLY A BIG ERROR TOO.

It's unbelievable isn't it that the record companies didn't track chart positions etc... overseas; how on earth did they track sales numbers then, and therefore pay correct royalties to performers, producers etc..?

GB: YES. IT HAS REALLY SURPRISED ME. BUT YOU SEE, LIKE ALL LARGE COMPANIES, PEOPLE COME AND GO THRU THE YEARS; RECORDS/FILES GET THROWN OUT AFTER X NUMBER OF YEARS, NO-ONE THINKS TO KEEP IT. OFFICES MOVE, BOXES GET LOST OR DESTROYED. NO -ONE THINKS THAT THIS INFO WILL EVER HAVE ANY USE 10 OR 20 YEARS DOWN THE LINE... MUCH LIKE THE BBC RECORDING OVER CLASSIC OLD EPISODES OF DR WHO, STEPTOE, HANCOCK, ETC. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IN 1986 THAT CHART DETAILS OF 'ONE YEAR OF LOVE' IN FRANCE AND SPAIN WOULD BE USEFUL IN 2008?????

SHAME THOUGH.

Alas I don't have this info, but hopefully someone will - maybe Jacky at the Fan Club, or Jim Jenkins are good starting points. Maybe John Reid etc(as manager) would have some data from the 70's??

NO. NOTHING FRENCH, SPANISH, HUNGARIAN, ETC. ONLY THE COMMON STUFF YOU'D EXPECT.

Wouldn't it be even slightly amusing if the singles box sets, archives sets, memorabilia books etc are all released, then years later it turns out that good old John Deacon has a loft absolutely crammed full of stats, newspaper cuttings, demos, live tracks etc... that none of the others have?!!?

GB: I WOULDN'T BE THAT AMUSED. I'D SEE THE IRONY THOUGH. BUT I TAKE YOUR POINT.

I'M JUST TRYING TO BE AS THOROUGH AS I CAN, NOT LEAST BECAUSE THERE ARE SERIOUS IMPLICATIONS HERE FOR THE QUEEN SINGLES BOXES.

DO WE PUT 'MUSTAPHA' AND 'PRINCESS OF THE UNIVERSE' AND 'ONE YEAR OF LOVE' ON THEM? ONLY IF THEY CHARTED BETTER THAN NO 40, WE DO.

Serious point here Greg - has anyone asked John if he has anything for these projects???

I DON'T KNOW. MAYBE I WILL ASK.

GB
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perhaps a call to the producers, engineers, graphic designers, or anyone else outside the realm of the band. I would think that they would use that info as resume material.

P-Tr extinction event user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 492 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.pcpki.com/queen/singles.html

for Holland/Australia/Japan - Andy Youngs list is still online, this was compiled in the early 1990s from accurate sources as far as i know.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 11:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Australian Chart Positions(pre 1989):

24-Mar-75*HP-24*WI-30 - Killer Queen
19-Jan-76*HP-01*WI-30 - Bohemian Rhapsody (2 weeks at No.1)
31-May-76*HP-40*WI-17 - You're My Best Friend
29-Nov-76*HP-15*WI-21 - Somebody to Love
18-Apr-77*HP-47*WI-09 - Tie Your Mother Down
21-Nov-77*HP-08*WI-22 - We Are the Champions/We Will Rock You
27-Nov-78*HP-25*WI-13 - Fat Bottomed Girls/Bicycle Race
04-Feb-80*HP-01*WI-21 - Crazy Little Thing Called Love (7wks)
19-May-80*HP-76*WI-07 - Save Me
04-Aug-80*HP-85*WI-03 - Play the Game
13-Oct-80*HP-05*WI-24 - Another One Bites the Dust
06-Apr-81*HP-16*WI-19 - Flash's Theme
09-Nov-81*HP-06*WI-19 - Under Pressure (w/ David Bowie)
17-May-82*HP-23*WI-12 - Body Language
30-Jan-84*HP-02*WI-19 - Radio Ga Ga
30-Apr-84*HP-08*WI-21 - I Want to Break Free
30-July-84*HP-65*WI-12 - It's a Hard Life
13-May-85*HP-69*WI-04 - Hammer to Fall
23-Dec-85*HP-34*WI-12 - One Vision
28-Apr-86*HP-25*WI-17 - A Kind of Magic
18-Aug-86*HP-32*WI-10 - Princes of the Universe

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://web.archive.org/web/20040224073208/www.caal.net/char.php?display=2

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

cmsdrums wrote:

GB: YES. IT HAS REALLY SURPRISED ME. BUT YOU SEE, LIKE ALL LARGE COMPANIES, PEOPLE COME AND GO THRU THE YEARS; RECORDS/FILES GET THROWN OUT AFTER X NUMBER OF YEARS, NO-ONE THINKS TO KEEP IT. OFFICES MOVE, BOXES GET LOST OR DESTROYED. NO -ONE THINKS THAT THIS INFO WILL EVER HAVE ANY USE 10 OR 20 YEARS DOWN THE LINE...

If, as stated, the info is used to ensure payments are correct, then there will be two copies - one at EMI (long since lost), but surely one sent to QPL too? I've always wondered if this may be true of pressing records (ie, how many of x promo CD were made) too, but can imagine that you will be right about such info being chucked.

I do recall that this kind of subject has come up before, and I remember trawling round looking for info myself, as I too find it quite interesting (although wouldn't appreciate fat people on Desperate Housewives..). Is there a finite list of countries you're interested in, or would it be truer to say there a finite list of countries you're confident you have covered?

junketerQ2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 152 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 18:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From memory I can confirm 2 New Zealand chart positions, from newspaper clippings I have. I may have others but would have to dig through my archive!:

I Want It All - #3
Innuendo - #10

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 19:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Have you tried billboard.com?

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/international_index.jsp

Click on Biz Tools, then Research Services. That will bring you to:

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/resources/research.jsp

Billboard Research
770 Broadway
New York, NY 10003
Phone: 646-654-4633
Fax: 646-654-4671 or 4672
Email: research@billboard.com

They charge pretty high fees it seems, but it might be worth it if they could provide the exact information you are looking for. And if they don't have the international historical lists, maybe they could refer you to other sources.

Good luck.

Pal72 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 30 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 05:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Greg, just to let you know: here in Hungary there were no "official" charts when Queen made records. The association of the Hungarian record companies (MAHASZ) started to issue official charts in the beginning of the 90's. You can find their archives here: http://www.mahasz.hu/m/?menu=slagerlistak&menu2=archivum
But it is in Hungarian...:(

I made a quich search for you, and I found these after 1990:

ALBUMS:
- Greatest Hits: 18 weeks, No. 12
- Greatest Hits II: 78 weeks, No. 1
- Greatest Hits III: 16 weeks, No. 7
- Innuendo: 32 weeks, No. 3
- Live at Wembley '86: 20 weeks, No. 3
- The Miracle: 2 weeks, No. 36

DVD:
- Greatest Video Hits I: 7 weeks, No. 8
- Greatest Video Hits: 5 weeks, No. 16
- Live At Wembley: 12 weeks, No. 7
- Live In Europe (it seems to be a bootleg...): 4 weeks, No. 7
- On Fire: 27 weeks, No. 5
- Return Of The Champions: 3 weeks, No. 17

SINGLES:
- QUEEN VS THE MIAMI PROJECT: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST: 4 weeks, No. 2. (it was a surprise for me...)

Let me know if you need further info from me. I'll try to help. (BTW: I could add some interesting info regarding the '86 Budapest concert for the next edition of your great Queen Live book...:)))
Greetings,

Pal

Pal
oh-ja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 225 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote:

Probably a stupid, obvious thing to say, but have you already tried Brian's personal catalogue of info?

so these are some brilliant suggestions greg most probably would never have thought of ...

on the way since jazz ...

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 12:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Many thanks for the info.

GB
ferdy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 176 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 14:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Greg
these are italian charts. I'm not sure if the upper limit is 40 but very likely... ciao ferdy

number after# means of course chart position

Italy

single

Somebody to love - Queen [#10]
Another one bites the dust - Queen [#10, 1980/81]
Another one bites the dust - Queen [#25]
Body language - Queen [#16]
Radio ga ga - Queen [#2]
I want it all - Queen [#4]
Innuendo - Queen [#4]
The Show must go on - Queen [#10, 1991/92]
Dear friends - George Michael & Queen [#26]