Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Multitrack Masters...

forum rss feed
Author

lettherebegene user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 16:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok...a million people have probably posted this but...

Why won't queen release any multitrack masters commercially.

from their point of view it's money for old rope and from ours it's bloody fascinating...

so what's their problem?

Hate to sound so...demanding. But it's SO FRUSTRATING!

Any replies or are you all to scared? Haha!

x

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 17:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because it would make it too easy for samplers.

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 18:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

they donĀ“t want to release any b-side, demo, unknown songs, bbc sessions ... aka the f****** Queen Anthology ... and you suggest the possibility of releasing the multitrack masters?

;)

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 08, 19:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sampling - precisely. Imagine every little piece of their songs being utilised in someone elses work, i.e. Brian's guitars or Freddie/Brian/Roger vocal samples. And while that's a lot to deal with in itself, you couldn't really keep a track on people sneakily putting it out in a song. It may be impossible for QP (etc.) to know for sure if something was used.
And I know I probably wouldn't like my own tracks to get out in multitrack form. I'd feel a little exposed and I wonder what a famous band would feel like. The same way? Apart from pissed, that is!!

Adam.

Martin Packer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 527 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 04:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That would be kind of viral - in a GOOD way. And wouldn't detract from revenue or, more importantly, the reputation of their body of work.

Martin
Dane user not visiting Queenzone.com
No strings attached!
Dane
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 06:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The multi's are from a band that does not exist anymore, and they had their time to work with them. I think its time to give these new young people a chance to work with this material, and maybe just maybe some new bands will discover what real music used to sound like. win-win situation imho.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Queen Visual Library (www.qvl.nl)

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 08:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Queen's lawyers are able to figure out if samples are being used! My point is releasing them for private use. Granted i shouldn't really have hold of the leaked tapes in the first place but i have and they are the most amazing thing i think i've ever heard.

I just don't see why they won't release them. Sampling could easily be fished out because it'd be the only decent sounding thing in the charts :P. But seriously. They're happy for us to listen to the same old songs but remastered so we can hear new bits (high Def. mixes, anyone?) and listen while Brian dissects the Bo Rap parts on DVD but not listen to the individual parts on itunes or whatever? Call me foolish but I really don't see the problem...

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also...if people sample the masters doesn't that mean that queen'd make even MORE money through their release?

Band Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 212 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It would be nice if BM/JD/RT could go back and polish up some of those B sides that seemed to hashed together very quickly, if they were given that extra time and detail could have been considered worthy of another commercial album not just for collectors or Queen enthusiasts like myself.
I thought that Hang on In There really had potential to be a big hit until that piano section with Freddie kicks in towards the end and fucked it up, I did love Brians closing guitar licks though played shortly after, this is an example where a little time and polish on this could have paid dividends.
RT Hijack My Heart is another commercial track I believe that could have gone on an album, maybe a bit more work/production on this would do the trick also.
I can't believe RT did such a great job on Jimmy Nail's 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore' can you imagine Freddie singing that version it would have been amazing!!! I know its considered Pop but quality sells whatever the format.

SO QZrs what do you think?

Mercury 90 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mercury 90
Bohemian: 167 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's just a thing with the art... you know a painter shows the audience just the painted picture and not the drafts he made bevor or he made on the paper he finaly uses... and that's the way a musician things to, I think... the final song in it's mixed form is the piece of art and the artist does not want to destroy the image in showing how he painted it!

Alt least I would not want it, because the final product is the art!

Keep Yourself Alive

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 18:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But drafts are rubbish. this isn't a draft. It's part of the finished product!

Dane user not visiting Queenzone.com
No strings attached!
Dane
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 08, 04:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mercury 90 wrote:

I think it's just a thing with the art... you know a painter shows the audience just the painted picture and not the drafts he made bevor or he made on the paper he finaly uses... and that's the way a musician things to, I think... the final song in it's mixed form is the piece of art and the artist does not want to destroy the image in showing how he painted it!

Alt least I would not want it, because the final product is the art!

And yet many art lovers would die to get their hands on early drawings and sketches of almost ANY famous painter. Would be fascinating to see early drafts of the Mona Lisa for example.

My point is that when it is established that a song/painting is a brilliant piece of art, NOTHING the artist himself did/made can bring that down.

Some time ago I posted an early version of BoRhap vocals. They are really pretty bad and out of key, but that only made the original that more real and deep. (to me)

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Queen Visual Library (www.qvl.nl)

Posted: 19 Sep 08, 06:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's all about following their journey to the end production. and besides...many multitracks would maybe only have the finished takes on them...

Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 08, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No big established bands are ever going to start releasing multitracks of big albums. What format would it take? Who's going to buy it apart from a handful of nerds? Plus, I'm sure very few artists would like the idea of amateurs fucking around with the bones of their material. And as previously stated, it would be a minefield in regard to sampling.

TerrorOfKnowing user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 08, 12:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Negative Creep wrote:

No big established bands are ever going to start releasing multitracks of big albums. What format would it take? Who's going to buy it apart from a handful of nerds? Plus, I'm sure very few artists would like the idea of amateurs fucking around with the bones of their material. And as previously stated, it would be a minefield in regard to sampling.

Two words: Rock Band. A number of complete albums are available to be downloaded as separate vocal, guitar, bass, drum, and misc tracks in the Rock Band games. For instance Rush's Moving Pictures I know was scheduled to be released. I don't know where that stands now because I don't have the game myself, but just imagine if Queen did something like that.

And If I'm Very Slow, She Makes Me So...

Posted: 20 Sep 08, 05:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rock band games e.g guitar hero and all that jazz tend not to use original material except for in special circumstances - bonus levels and the like.

You can put your own stuff in and it'll separate the tracks but even then it's only 4/5 basics - vocals/bass/guitar and so on.

More to the point - a fair few people think the release of multitracks'd be a god thing - we're not all nerds, ya know!

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 21 Sep 08, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not nerdy to be curious about what makes a track what it is. BoRhap is a curiosity and that leaked multi on the web let people delve into what made it such a wonderful piece of work. The enthusiast, like myself, is curious about those tracks in other ways, too.

Adam.

Cwazy little thing user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 08, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ESPECIALLY considering the sort of commercial decisions being made currently regarding the singles boxset, there is ZERO market in comparison for commercially available multi-tracks, and if they wont be making money, they wont be releasing them.
Sad truth.

The multi-tracks which leaked were wonderful and interesting, but they shouldnt have been available, and if were honest its only a handful of people who really care for them in the grand scheme of things.
So yeah, no market for them, and the sampling thing is also a real issue.

If the young people of the world need to know what good music sounds like then Queen's hits are available in about a million formats, with the million and 1st format due later this year!

Adventure Seeker on an empty street...

www.myspace.com/ampfirerock

Posted: 21 Sep 08, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's just so. frustrating! short of breaking in somewhere and stealing them there's not much we can do. and i don't even know where they're kept.

Imagine the vocal tracks for somebody to love though!!!

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 21 Sep 08, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's an idea..!

What if...the copies that are made of the album tracks (in completed form) at the studio could be used in a special presentation. A tour of a particular place where people could be invited 2-3 times a week to hear a selection of tracks on a paid tour. Yes...paid tour.

In other words, fans could get the chance to hear these tracks in their most basic form. Safe and profitable while letting fans hear their most favoured bands' work. I would pay for that privilege.

It's a thought...

Adam.