Forums > Personal > Did your parents hit you when you were a kid?

forum rss feed
Author

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If so, do you think you did deserve it for being a brat, or do you think they went too far by using physical punishment.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Occasionally. Yes, I deserved it.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

jazzy mercurois user not visiting Queenzone.com
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 13:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

UNTIL I BECAME STRONG AND KICKED THE SHIT OUT OF THEM BOTH. I BECAME A SUPER SAIYAN.

Cheers,
Hor

CONLACANTINACONLACANTORACONLATELEVISIONGASTADORA
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My dad did. Did I deserve it? No. I don't believe in any physical punishment. Taking away their favorite stuff is much more effective, I think.

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

If so, do you think you did deserve it for being a brat, or do you think they went too far by using physical punishment.

Yes they did although it was not that often. And yes I did deserve it.

I would hate to be a parent these days since it appears that you cant hit your kids who have stepped out of line (and I dont mean batter them to within an inch of their lives btw... thats waaaaaayyyyy too far) without some meddling do-gooder stepping in and reporting you.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was smacked as a kid and not just by my parents - my friends parents and my teachers used to give me a clip round the head now and again! Consequently I have never been in trouble with the police, never done drugs, never broken into someone's house, never vandalised or stole cars and I never carry a weapon of any sort.

Compare that to the kids of today and I am glad that I grew up in the 60's.

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was spanked by my dad with a wooden paddle. My dad was a Marine and took no shit from either my brother or I. We knew what was expected of us and if we did not do that then we were spanked. Did it help me as a parent or as a contributing citizen, I can't say for sure. I think there are better ways of handling children who misbehave but all children are different. I have two of my own and yes, there are times where I would really like to give them a wack on the butt, but I calm down and talk to them about why they should not do what they have done.

I will admit I have spanked them both before though and I felt like shit after, that is when I knew spanking was not the answer...for me at least, to get my children to behave the proper way. I feel it is my responsibility to explain to them what is expected of them before any "accidents" happen. If they choose to disobey then they will be punished, but I won't physically hurt them. I'll take something away from them or sit them in time out.

Also, the age of the child needs to be taken in to consideration when a punishment is given. I can't sit Anthony in time out for the same time I would Cameron. Cameron is ten, Anthony is 5. Many times if I can see that they are getting ready to do something they shouldn't be doing, I'll let them experience the natural consequence of it, like say if they are riding their bike too fast and they crash. Sure they have a skinned up knee or elbow, but next time they will learn not to be so wreckless. Letting them learn some things on their own is good for them....after all, parents don't know shit anyway right? ;)

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm only an uncle, not a parent, but I have to say there's a hundred better ways of controlling the little shits than smacking them.

And that's basically what you want to do, if you're hitting your kids; dumb them down and get them used to a life of being controlled and subordinate.
I hate to sound like Treasure Moment but that's the culture we've arrived at, and unfortunately one that we seem to be perpetuating....

Having said that, I think my parents should have beat me a bit when I was little. It's too late now; I'm 22, my life is a failure, and nobody can kick me in the arse to get me moving.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
.DeaconJohn. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 437 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 14:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was hit once or twice; a rare occourance as I was generally a well behaved child.

However I'd like to think that if I ever had kids, I would never hit them.

There's a difference between your kids being scared of you and respecting you. You shouldn't have to hit your kids for them to respect you.

Janet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Janet
Deity: 3937 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was never hit by my parents as a child. Nor did I ever hit my son, who is now 21. I believe there are more effective forms of punishment.

-If you want the best seat in the house, you have to move the cat.

April user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My parents used to hit me when i was a child, sometimes they slapped me, sometimes hit me with a belt. It was all because I was a very stubborn child and talked back. Probably they got irritated. But I never did anything wrong! Now I think they shouldn`t have done it, they should have tried to talk to me, now I understand I would have liked that.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

April wrote:

My parents used to hit me when i was a child, sometimes they slapped me, sometimes hit me with a belt.

That is exactly what my dad would do. Luckily, my mom kept him from doing it most of the time, though.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep, I got spankings. When I became a teen, sometimes it was a slap across the head. When I was around 18 or 19, I was shoved down. But it never worked for me, as I'd get violent back, and never do as I was told. Now I'm taller (but thinner) than my Dad, and can knock him down and have. But I don't believe in violence towards kids. Gavyn will never be spanked, and I spoil him. I am going to raise him the opposite way that my Dad raised me, to see how it turns out. I have a feeling he'll be better.

It's like this... You mis-tread a dog, and the dog gets angry and violent. You treat a dog nicely, and the dog is friendly.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
April user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, it was also my dad who did it. My mother admired my dad so much that she never interfered. He is considered to be the utmost authority and the "last-instance knowledge" in the family.

Never hit your (future) children!

pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

see my later post...

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

Ms. Rebel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ms. Rebel
Deity: 3428 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My mom used to kick the shit outta me 3 times a week (or more), she started when I was three or four years old. Did I deserve it? Hmm... NO. She would hit me because of getting my clothes dirty after playing outside or while I was eating, when I was little I wasn't allowed to hang out with boys, I had to wear clothes that she told me to wear, when I went to school getting a B was totally unacceptable, she would always put too much food on my plate and I had to eat it all... She would hit me whenever she liked to, usually without reason, it didn't matter, she would make out her own reasons. And we are not talking about spanking here, she would hit me with all kinds of objects (belt, piece of wood, it didn't matter), once after slapping my face she had to put an ice on her hand. xD Her quotes were: "I'm going to kill a God in you!" and sometimes before she would hit me she would say "I'm so sorry, but I have to do this.". Today she says she had to do it otherwise I would grow up in who knows what. I personally think that parents shouldn't hit their kids, they should learn how to communicate with them and not raising them in fear. If I ever decide to have my own kids I will never hit them because first of all, I can't hit a dog with the newspaper if he/she pees inside the house lol. I could never treat them the way she treated me because I remember how I felt back then and I don't want my kids to see me as some kind of monster and person of who they should be afraid. Parents should act with their kids like they are their close friends and be able to talk with them about anything, solving problems WITHOUT hitting. :)

I'm sick of all my kicks.
Ms. Rebel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ms. Rebel
Deity: 3428 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This thread is fucking awesome. I feel like I've seen a good shrink.

I'm sick of all my kicks.
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My dad did beat me a few times, but those few times he slapped me or spanked me were good enough to make me shit scared of him. Once he slapped me really bad when I was 6 because he was trying to explain my homework to me, but I didn't get what he was trying to tell me. I wasn't being a brat or anything, and for a while I held some resentment against him because it's unfair to hit someone when they haven't done anything out of malice or any kind of bad behavior.

My mom on the other hand has had plenty of reasons to hit me, but she has never laid a hand on me. She has yelled at me, and threatened me a countless number of times but she never hit me. Once she attempted to by tossing the cap of a garbage can at me, but I dodged it Matrix style.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 16:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was a right naughty little shit, of course I was hit. Never hard though. I don't think it's had an adverse effect, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 08, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ahh, I've been blessed with wonderful parents.

When I was a kid, my dad only hit me...maybe three times as I can remember. And those times I really deserved it, because I was a rotten little shit at times. After spanking me, after I had calmed down my dad would talk with me and everything would be cool. I certainly didn't like it at the time, but I can barely remember it now, and I wasn't scared of my dad in the slightest.

Yeah. My mom and dad are pretty cool.