mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Sep 08, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another bad review......amazing

The Cosmos Rocks
Queen and Paul Rodgers
Parlophone/EMI
THERE'S a strange, ambient whine at the beginning of this album that culminates in a spooky, unearthly voice asking: "What planet is this?"

Just who or what is behind it isn't explained, but if I were a betting man I'd say it was Freddie Mercury, somewhere in the great beyond, showing an unwarranted amount of tact about the drivel he and the living are being asked to endure on the rest of this CD.

This re-emergence of Queen is concrete proof that, despite the ancient adage to the contrary, the show needn't go on. What we have is two-thirds of the remaining Queen line-up -- guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor -- teaming up with former Free and Bad Company singer Paul Rodgers, not only in performance but also as co-writers. Presumably good taste prevented bassist John Deacon from coming out of retirement.

"We have the whole town rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll," chimes the throaty Rodgers on the abysmal opener, Cosmos Rockin', a routine 12-bar affair that makes Status Quo sound weighty. The following prog-rock shuffle, Time to Shine, is even more embarrassing, sounding like a forced marriage between REM and This is Spinal Tap.

It doesn't get much better. Most of the problems lie in the fact that in Queen's glory days Mercury could turn the banal (take the stand, Taylor's Radio Ga Ga) into something gloriously camp and exciting. Rodgers, on the other hand, is a fine blues-rock singer, but it would take more than a sparkly Spandex unitard to get him out of this mess, much of it, lyrically at least, of his own making. There are a couple of exceptions.

The tribute to Mercury, Some Things That Glitter, has a suitably soulful performance from the frontman, while May's guitar riffs and licks peak on the Zeppelinesque C-lebrity. "Next thing you know they'll be rockin' out in space," Rodgers squeals early on. "Not to this we won't be," aliens will surely respond.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24355649-5013577,00.html

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 08, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"What we have is two-thirds of the remaining Queen line-up"

Proof that some Aussies cant fucking count.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 08, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MARS NEEDS WOMEN!

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
im_on_the_wembley_dvd user not visiting Queenzone.com
im_on_the_wembley_dvd
Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 08, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

made my blood boil - went on their page and sent the dick who wrote this a pointless reply... much like his review

There can be only one
im_on_the_wembley_dvd user not visiting Queenzone.com
im_on_the_wembley_dvd
Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 08, 17:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jake have you been on steriods again.. lol

There can be only one
Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 08, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well the reviewer is right. I would be ok with it if it wasnt called Queen+ but now it is and it shouldnt have beem since it has nothing to do with Queen, then again, who are they kidding? people know what sounds like Queen and what doesnt.

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

P-Staker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 218 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 08, 18:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's my review of the review:

"This review starts to a slow opening, fumbling for its first lame joke until, somewhat nervously, it builds up to mentioning "Freddie Mercury." The reader is then left to endure bad puns and stock wit for the rest of the text.

Presumably the review was intended as snappy, but it comes off a bit dull and random. Routine nastiness would attract ridicule rather than rage on your average internet forum, and blatant observation about 2/3 of Queen are only good for a - yawn. Luckily, the reviewer ends soon afterwards - presumably, not to go practice guitar.

In all fairness, the review has some inadvertenly funny moments - the reviewer's comic ignorance of music styles and bands, and his half-assed praise of Freddie, proving once again the only consistent aspect of reviewers is their inconsistency. Not long ago, his kin, ashamed to admit their homophobia and xenophobia, wrote half-assed rubbish like this targeted at Fred's "talent", but now they've forgotten that. Hm, what's that they say about the brain of the goldfish?

Final verdict

Style 1/10
Substance 1/10"

shieldmatron user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 08, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Mercury wrote:

Actually, Mr. Mercury, that Aussie can count. Since the reviewer is talking about the original lineup, two-thirds is May and Taylor. The other third is Deacon.

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 08, 21:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ahh yet another "Freddie's gayness and campness is what's missing" type review.

Seems like that's all these critics obsess about.
They all seem to forget that Freddie was quite macho for a gay man.
Maybe they would be more accepting of Q+PR if Paul donned a pink tutu on the front cover. I dunno?

Queenfred user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenfred
Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 08, 22:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Mercury wrote:

Proof that some Brits can't fucking read.

Gentleman, you can't fight in here - this is The War Room!
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 08, 23:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to say...I somewhat agree with the review!

Chom own mudder fukker.
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 08, 05:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian_Mays_Wig wrote:

I have to say...I somewhat agree with the review!

ditto

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 08, 05:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

shieldmatron wrote:

Mr Mercury wrote:

Actually, Mr. Mercury, that Aussie can count. Since the reviewer is talking about the original lineup, two-thirds is May and Taylor. The other third is Deacon.

HA HA You're a fucking tit.There was four in the original line-up.So how could Brian and Roger be two thirds.

I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx
BigJ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 08, 05:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The review seems pretty much spot on to me. The new album is abysmal.

Adam who?????
Mr Mercury

Posted: 20 Sep 08, 06:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Like every other review I have read, I couldnt care less about it. I like the new stuff. I dont like all of it, but then again, I have never liked all the songs on previous Queen (or Free / Bad Co for that matter) albums.

Adam who?????
Mr Mercury

Posted: 20 Sep 08, 07:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jake wrote:

MARS NEEDS WOMEN

Maybe Mars needs useless "reviewers" as well.....

Hitman1965 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hitman1965
Bohemian: 247 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 08, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

well the reviewer is right. I would be ok with it if it wasnt called Queen+ but now it is and it shouldnt have beem since it has nothing to do with Queen, then again, who are they kidding? people know what sounds like Queen and what doesnt.

This is becoming boring and more than a little pointless in repeatedly trying to convince people who clearly enjoy Queen and Paul Rodgers in to thinking otherwise. How I'd love to lock you in a room with Brian, Paul and Roger so you could sort out your issues. Are you going to a concert on this tour? Have to bought a copy of the new album? How can you have such a negative opinion? If you dislike all that is Queen and Paul Rodgers can we please have the detailed reasons why backed up with some really sound evidence for once instead of just stating Freddie is fantastic etc... We all know and appreaciate the Freddie era you don't have to convince anyone of that; what you need to develop is a better argument on why you dislike the current situation so much. Your opinions are important but only if you can justify them in a convincing way to others. If you fail to convince people then the opinion is less important.

alexownworld2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 08, 09:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Guys,
I'm very much agree with the reviewer and below is the reason.
Queen, as a band, have died in 1991. No more Queen. This is fact. May and Taylor are great musicians, but Queen was not only a summ of four of them (Freddie, Brian, Roger and John). Queen was MUCH MORE!
May and Taylor can creat good and sometimes great stuff (just listen to some of their solo albums), but they didn't titled the stuff as Queen. And that was right, because it wasn't Queen!
Some of the songs from The Cosmos Rocks are good enough. I personally like Time To Shine, Small, We Believe, Voodoo, C-lebrity and Through The Night. Really good music. Good......, if we forget what is written on the front cover.... Sorry, but rest is crap.
Guys, THIS IS NOT QUEEN and HAS NOTHING TO DO with our great group!
The album should be titled as Rogers+May+Taylor and only this way it may be treated. In this case I would give the album 7 stars (out of 10).
This is my personal opinion, but I beieve, the only reason why May and Taylor name themself as Queen is MONEY. Sad but true. Once again I repeat, this is my opinion.

maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 08, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

because most Queen fans are so far up their own arses & slam everything Queen & Paul Rodgers orientated if it was down to those types ACDC would never have carried on with Brian Johnson, I for one differ

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 08, 09:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bo Rhap wrote:

shieldmatron wrote:

Mr Mercury wrote:

HA HA You're a fucking tit.There was four in the original line-up.So how could Brian and Roger be two thirds.

The quote was: "What we have is two-thirds of the remaining Queen line-up..."

Notice the word "remaining". The remaining members of Queen are those who are still alive.