Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen + paul misses John

forum rss feed
Author

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2742 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 04:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is there any decent bass playing on this new album?...I think John would have Improved this album with his solid playing and songwriting abilities. Listen to the spicey bass on hot space and the miracle compared to the TCR. John is sadly missed, and he could have written better songs than the embarrassing 'cosmos rockin' and the horrible surf's up...Schools out. Maybe he'll come out of retirement for the next album.

Willo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 04:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Next album will still fail. John made the right choice to not participate in this humiliation.

P-Staker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 218 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Willo wrote:

Next album will still fail. John made the right choice to not participate in this humiliation.

How predictable was that... Dick.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 07:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well Willo, the fact that I just saw the news item saying they're at no.5 in the album chart says a fair bit to me. That's pretty impressive considering what the Freddie maniacs on here say about no Queen without Freddie milarky. I loved Freddie and he's who inspires me to sing, but he's gone. I accept that.

Yes, the bass playing is pretty basic. But then, I was listening to Roger on the radio yesterday and John hates the music business and decided to leave. No chance of him reappearing, but I guess we knew that. :)
How about a, "who could play the bass for them?" question.

Adam.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2369 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 07:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wish I had a (failed) top 5 album out....

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6242 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 08:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I haven't listened to the album, but I thought I'd add my two pence:

Roger, Paul and Brian have loads of skills, separately and together - but playing bass isn't one of them.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
rockthecosmos2008 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 71 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 09:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

Is there any decent bass playing on this new album?...I think John would have Improved this album with his solid playing and songwriting abilities. Listen to the spicey bass on hot space and the miracle compared to the TCR. John is sadly missed, and he could have written better songs than the embarrassing 'cosmos rockin' and the horrible surf's up...Schools out. Maybe he'll come out of retirement for the next album.

Yes i agree that the album is missing John, but i still like it, it is not as bad as some people are making out. I enjoyed TCR, if they do a second album, i think it will be more rock than blues (we can hope!)

Come On Down let's Rock This Place....Suck It To Me!!!
new one user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think they miss John aswell but lets not overstate it. As good as John was/is he was responsible or some of the shall we say shittier numbers on the last couple of albums. His last hit was I want to break free if I'm not mistaken, I don't recall Friends will be friends setting the world alight which I would say was his last good song we know of.

P-Staker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 218 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Back on topic, of course John is bitterly missed. He was a master of bass and contributed a lot to the band. But then, I respect his decision to retire as much as the other guys' decision to continue...

new one user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 12:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey I totally miss John too and wish he was involved on this project as it would give it more credibility if that the right word to use. But like the previous poster says he's retired and that has to be respected so that's the end of it.

rockthecosmos2008 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 71 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 14:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi

I did read that they sent songs from the new album to John, if he called them back he did not like it, if they heard nothing he liked it, i think i ead it on Queenzone somewhere in the news section

Come On Down let's Rock This Place....Suck It To Me!!!
April user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What about writing a letter to John like we did to Paul? Asking him to join? Is it too naive?

jeffuk49 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yawn yawn more JD threads he has retired he does not like the music buisness fact, we should be grateful for an album. I really honestly don't think JD would have brought too much to the new album if he was involved if you listen some of the bass rifts on CR, Still Burning etc are pretty good, songwriting well might have got a track from him. when people say he was a master at the bass??? not sure about that one he was good but master dont think so, yeah he was 1/4 of Queen but he's retired and that is his right, Danny Miranda is more than capable of filling his boots on tour and he can sing aswell

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 01:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I liked the decision to make the bass distorted on "School's Out".

That's about it. The rest of the songs have bits where you can just HEAR John's absence. That doesn't make a lick of sense I suppose, but honestly. People are shitting upon the new songs because they're 'simple'.
You know, a lot of Queen's biggest hits weren't musically complicated in and of themselves, but the parts that each member was playing were usually a stroke of genius.
I just made this example in another thread... but "Save Me" isn't the worlds fanciest song, not by a long shot, but John's playing is fantastic. It matches it so well.
The nearest comparison I can find on the new album is "Some Things That Glitter". The bass is just so... lacking.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 02:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeffuk49 wrote:

yawn yawn more JD threads he has retired he does not like the music buisness fact, we should be grateful for an album. I really honestly don't think JD would have brought too much to the new album if he was involved if you listen some of the bass rifts on CR, Still Burning etc are pretty good, songwriting well might have got a track from him. when people say he was a master at the bass??? not sure about that one he was good but master dont think so, yeah he was 1/4 of Queen but he's retired and that is his right, Danny Miranda is more than capable of filling his boots on tour and he can sing aswell
I Agree John wasn't the master of the Bass, but he was a good one, and don't forget his songwriting abilities. His playing would have only improved the album.

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 02:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Willo wrote:

This album has been a success, what is it at #5 on the charts?...No question about it, a Queen album with all the original members would have peaked at #1, but the top 5 isn't bad. If you want to talk about competition who would have won, a new album from The real Queen vs metallica in the UK?...I would bet on Queen.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 02:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

You've been beaten.

In Swedish chart news, Treasure Moment + Nordman also entered the album charts at no. 5 with "The Homos Cock"

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 04:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

number 5 in the UK charts is piss-poor for the standard the group have set themselves over the years.its probably the worse performing entry [for a Queen studio album].even Hot Space was a place higher than this on its release

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's amazing how many people on here seem to be autorities on Bass Guitar, yet I don't know any of you to be even close to being on the same level as the people you (1) miss and (2) play on the album.

In fact how many bass players on Queenzone? I don't mean failed guitarists, I mean legitimate bass players.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JoxerTheDeityPirate wrote:

Togg wrote:

number 5 in the UK charts is piss-poor for the standard the group have set themselves over the years.its probably the worse performing entry [for a Queen studio album].even Hot Space was a place higher than this on its release

Piss poor? Considering that there is a sizable chunk of Queen fans who don't even want to touch this with a 10 foot pole I'd say it did pretty damn well. Let's not forget those who would also rather now download illegal copies that actually buy it.

News of the World also entered the chart at #4 btw.