Forums > Queen - General Discussion > What else is good?

forum rss feed
Author

The Cosmos Rocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 7 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi, I'm 16 years old and had never listened to a Queen album in my life until the other day. I was slagging off old music to my friends dad so he made me take home his new copy of the cosmos rocks(new queen album). To hear some real music apperantly? I have to say its amazing, I never knew queen music had such good guitar on it. Time to shine is a totally amazing song too. So I had to go back to my friends house and admit I was wrong about queen. Today I went and bought the album for myself but I notice there were lots of other queen cds too. Which ones are any good? Which ones are the best ones? I have a birthday in November so I might ask for a couple if they are good.

nmkosak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 12:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi! So you started your collection with an album that is no REAL QUEEN album....my advice for you would be to start with Greatest Hits I + II, you can't go wrong with that. Then you will see which songs from those are your favourites and you can check out the albums from which they are taken.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Cosmos Rocks wrote:

Hi, I'm 16 years old and had never listened to a Queen album in my life until the other day. I was slagging off old music to my friends dad so he made me take home his new copy of the cosmos rocks(new queen album). To hear some real music apperantly? I have to say its amazing, I never knew queen music had such good guitar on it. Time to shine is a totally amazing song too. So I had to go back to my friends house and admit I was wrong about queen. Today I went and bought the album for myself but I notice there were lots of other queen cds too. Which ones are any good? Which ones are the best ones? I have a birthday in November so I might ask for a couple if they are good.

Welcome to the "club" :-)
This isn't technically a Queen album BTW.

Which kind of music do you like ? Because Queen have done many different genres. But buying at least Sheer Heart Attack, A Night At The Opera, News Of The World, Jazz, and Innuendo would be a good start

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 12:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No real queen album? How? It says Queen and Paul Rodgers on the cd. Is it a cover version album?

I will get greatest hits then, I saw that today and noticed it has another one bites the dust on it. I do like that song.

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

The Cosmos Rocks wrote:

Welcome to the "club" :-)
This isn't technically a Queen album BTW.

Which kind of music do you like ? Because Queen have done many different genres. But buying at least Sheer Heart Attack, A Night At The Opera, News Of The World, Jazz, and Innuendo would be a good start

So has my mates dad played a joke onme and gave me a queen tribute album then and I fell for it?

A night at the opera? Doesn't sound like something I'd go for. I like the chilli peppers, keane, white stripes, razorlight, love oasis!

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 12:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, it's not a "tribute" album.

3 of 5 surviving members of the last active lineup (Brian May, Roger Taylor + Spike Edney) grouped together with Paul Rodgers, Jamie Moses and Danny Miranda and formed a new band called "Queen + Paul Rodgers".

Some people consider it as a new lineup of Queen, some people consider it a new band. That's what I was talking about. It depends on you what you think about it.

Well A Night At The Opera is actually a nice masterpiece, you surely know Bohemian Rhapsody, which comes from this album. Sheer Heart Attack & Jazz are classical hard rock albums, NOTW is a straight rock albums with some blues songs ...

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

No, it's not a "tribute" album.

3 of 5 surviving members of the last active lineup (Brian May, Roger Taylor + Spike Edney) grouped together with Paul Rodgers, Jamie Moses and Danny Miranda and formed a new band called "Queen + Paul Rodgers".

Some people consider it as a new lineup of Queen, some people consider it a new band. That's what I was talking about. It depends on you what you think about it.

Well A Night At The Opera is actually a nice masterpiece, you surely know Bohemian Rhapsody, which comes from this album. Sheer Heart Attack & Jazz are classical hard rock albums, NOTW is a straight rock albums with some blues songs ...

Yea Bohemian Rhapsody, cool song. Don't understand why people think its a new band then if some of the other members are still in it. Lots of bands have new members, look at oasis there only Liam and Noel

MartynR90 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would start with 'the works' cos its got most of their best 80's stuff; 'Radio Ga Ga', 'I want to break free' etc. Innuendo is also a good choice! Queen CD'S are quite cheap these days! But i also think that greatest hits 1 and 2 is the best place to start!

Oasis have an everchanging lineup, with noel and liam as the key members of the band.
Dig Out Your Soul!!!!
Anywazy i better shut up about Oasis, as this is a Queen forum.

Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HEY KID!!

you could buy any queen album and enjoy it, my personal favorites are

A night at the opera, Innuendo, The miracle.

Of course I like them all, those are the ones I play the most I think

:)
david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2020 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 13:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

listen to the all ,but save .the news of the world till last.when listening to it skip it's late,save that for the last queen song you listen to.perfection.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Assuming that this is not another windup or someone having a laugh, it is very interesting that someone gets to know Queen through "The Cosmos Rocks". Timing is a bit weird, since the album has been out for only a week.

I got to know Queen by listening to Hot Space and ADATR almost at the same time as I listened to GH1.

I still love Hot Space to this day.

Good that you get to know the band. You could also listen to other classic rock era bands and artists at the same time and become the first non-obsessive Queen fan ever and actually acknowledge other artist's contribution to the music world :).

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wiley wrote:

Assuming that this is not another windup or someone having a laugh

Probably is.

April user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 14:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its_a_hard_life wrote:

Wiley wrote:

Assuming that this is not another windup or someone having a laugh

Probably is.

I also thought that it was a joke.

rockthecosmos2008 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 71 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Cosmos Rocks wrote:

It depends on what type of Queen music you like, if it's radio Ga Ga, I want to break free, it's a kind of magic etc, i would buy any album from 1980's, Hot Space, The works, A kind of magic and the miracle. If it's more raw, rock sounding songs, we will rock you, crazy little thing called love, now i'm here etc go for the 70's, Queen 1 & 2, Sheer heart attack, night at the opera etc (there are more from 70's too!) Also Innuendo album, from 1991, was back to the 70's sound, a great album, but i would leave innuendo and made in heaven until the end, you'll appreciate them more.

Any more questions drop me a pm

Come On Down let's Rock This Place....Suck It To Me!!!

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 15:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Got a loan of the album News of the World from the friends old man as I recognised We are the champions and we will rock you. Just listened to it, really good album. Liked Its late best I think. My Melancholy blues is pretty crap and so is all dead all dead.

Which album has more modern songs like Time to shine or C-lebrity?

rockthecosmos2008 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 71 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Cosmos Rocks wrote:

Got a loan of the album News of the World from the friends old man as I recognised We are the champions and we will rock you. Just listened to it, really good album. Liked Its late best I think. My Melancholy blues is pretty crap and so is all dead all dead.

Hi

i would go for innuendo(1991) album then, headlong is a good rocker, the single innuendo is good, and the show must go on to name a few, also the miracle album(1989) i want it all, breakthru i think you may like

Come On Down let's Rock This Place....Suck It To Me!!!
new one user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Cosmos Rocks wrote:

I'd go for A kind of Magic, The Miracle or Innuendo next if you want more commercial stuff. Also from The Works or Greatest Hits 2 the song Hammer to Fall is a cracker, one of my favourites and one of Brian Mays finest hours(You mentioned you like guitar) You'd find a lot of these songs on you tube to have a listen before you go out and buy an album

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whatever you do, do NOT listen to Bohemian Rhapsody. It will mess you up for the rest of your life. Trust me.

marcenciels user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 20:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

everybody is suggesting you a studio album.

you like it when it rocks,

listen to Queen "Live Killer".

i was a fan before it, and most people i know became Queen fans for a good stretch when they heard "Live Killer".

thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 22:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you want a great document of Queen's over-the-top Jazz tour shows, Live Killers is a great place to start. It also offers incredible versions of "Now I'm Here" (a straight rocker similar to "Cosmos Rockin'") and "Brighton Rock" (the infamous Brian May guitar solo). Some other songs, notably "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Get Down, Make Love", don't sound so good.

As for their studio albums, Sheer Heart Attack is my personal favorite, but I've always believed that Queen II embodies what they were as a band in the 1970s, before "Hot Space" happened. That's not to say they didn't make some great songs in the '80s, but for me, Queen is first and foremost a rock band, and Queen II is the best document of their progressive rock origins.

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."