Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen vs Beatles

forum rss feed
Author

SomebodyWhoLoves user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 842 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 22:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are some of you so stupid that you think "All you need is Love" is superior to "Bohemian Rhapsody" or "March of the Black Queen" or "Hammer To Fall"?

What people don't understand is, the Beatles wrote mainly POP songs that were absurdly simple and boring. They are like Elevator Music compared to the Real Genius in Queen Songs.

Why do some people love Beatles so much?
It's the same question as Why do some people love Elvis or Madonna so much? They were talentless artificially propped artists with no soul, no talent.

You actually think that Freddie Mercury is on the same level as a John Lennon or Paul McCartney?

Sorry. Freddie Mercury is much much higher than either John Lennon or Paul McCartney.

Now..politically and historically, the Beatles made a difference because they came in the 60s. Their music helped to define an era.

But technically, and artistically, the Beatles were vastly inferior to Queen.

If you throw away all the social and political relevance to a Band, the Beatles were very very average that only appealed to teenagers with their pop simple sing along type songs.


L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 22:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They were the first my friend it all started with them 1,100 million records sold speak for themselves.


Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
SomebodyWhoLoves user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 842 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 22:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

L-R-TIGER1994 wrote:

They were the first my friend it all started with them 1,100 million records sold speak for themselves.



Record sales rankings do not mean Quality and Talent Rankings!

Elvis Presley is #1. I think Michael Jackson is up there too.

There's a reason why many consider Queen to be the best Music Group ever. Because Freddie had the most amazing most beautiful voice that Paul LOL McCartney or John Lennon could never touch.

Freddie and Queen also wrote brilliant complex timeless songs that dwarf "Imagine" or "All you need is love" drivel.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Sep 08, 23:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

THE BEATLES RIP 1960 - 1970

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 01:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In their defence, the Beatles never wrote "Let's Turn It On".

Seriously though, I'm not surprised to open another one of your threads and find that it's total nonsense. Could you be any more close-minded, musically?


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
scallyuk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 296 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 01:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SomebodyWhoLoves wrote:


What people don't understand is, the Beatles wrote mainly POP songs that were absurdly simple and boring. They are like Elevator Music compared to the Real Genius in Queen Songs.

Why do some people love Beatles so much?
It's the same question as Why do some people love Elvis or Madonna so much? They were talentless artificially propped artists with no soul, no talent.

You actually think that Freddie Mercury is on the same level as a John Lennon or Paul McCartney?

Now..politically and historically, the Beatles made a difference because they came in the 60s. Their music helped to define an era.

But technically, and artistically, the Beatles were vastly inferior to Queen.

If you throw away all the social and political relevance to a Band, the Beatles were very very average that only appealed to teenagers with their pop simple sing along type songs.


wow. Such pretention from one so young.

Without the Beatles there would have been no Queen, without the Beatles few music groups would have been permitted to experiment in the studio and there could never have been a Black Queen, Bo Rhap or Prophet's song.

The pressure was on EMI to allow the Beatles the their freedom for purely commercial reasons.
Record sales generated by Beatlemania were enough to enable the beatles to demand artistic freedom to produce things like Tomorrow Never Knows, Sgt Pepper, #9 dream. They were not only influenced by their era they became part of the influence OF that era.
Something Queen will never do. Not denying their artistry or musical proficiency but Bo Rhap in all it's weirdness did not influence people to experiment to the same extent as the white album or revolver.


"amateurs practice till they get it right, professionals practice till they can't get it wrong"
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 01:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

scallyuk wrote:

SomebodyWhoLoves wrote:


What people don't understand is, the Beatles wrote mainly POP songs that were absurdly simple and boring. They are like Elevator Music compared to the Real Genius in Queen Songs.

Why do some people love Beatles so much?
It's the same question as Why do some people love Elvis or Madonna so much? They were talentless artificially propped artists with no soul, no talent.

You actually think that Freddie Mercury is on the same level as a John Lennon or Paul McCartney?

Now..politically and historically, the Beatles made a difference because they came in the 60s. Their music helped to define an era.

But technically, and artistically, the Beatles were vastly inferior to Queen.

If you throw away all the social and political relevance to a Band, the Beatles were very very average that only appealed to teenagers with their pop simple sing along type songs.


wow. Such pretention from one so young.

Without the Beatles there would have been no Queen, without the Beatles few music groups would have been permitted to experiment in the studio and there could never have been a Black Queen, Bo Rhap or Prophet's song.

The pressure was on EMI to allow the Beatles the their freedom for purely commercial reasons.
Record sales generated by Beatlemania were enough to enable the beatles to demand artistic freedom to produce things like Tomorrow Never Knows, Sgt Pepper, #9 dream. They were not only influenced by their era they became part of the influence OF that era.
Something Queen will never do. Not denying their artistry or musical proficiency but Bo Rhap in all it's weirdness did not influence people to experiment to the same extent as the white album or revolver.


There was always The Beach Boys...


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
kingogre user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 425 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 02:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dont think that many people think of Queen as the best group ever. But it doesnt matter at all for me. These discussions about ranking and whos the best are pointless if you ask me. ├Łou can not just compare music like that.

Listen to music and enjoy it, if youre gonna have this attitude youre gonnna miss out on some fantastic bands.

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 04:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

In their defence, the Beatles never wrote "Let's Turn It On".

Seriously though, I'm not surprised to open another one of your threads and find that it's total nonsense. Could you be any more close-minded, musically?


*cough*
the frog chorus or Mull of Kintyre
*cough*


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Sharon G.Queen Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 04:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Having seen both live, #1 Beatles, #2 Queen.
And there you have it.


Sharon G.
new one user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 201 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 06:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

/QUOTE]
*cough*
the frog chorus or Mull of Kintyre
*cough*



Hey leave the frog Chorus alone. I can't quite remember but it was either the frog chorus or Radio GaGa that wa my first ever single. I hope it was Radio GaGa but to be honest I don't recall as I was only 9 or 10 years old.

maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 06:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lordy here we go again

Tomorrow Never Knows, I'm The Walrus, Dear Prudence, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Helter Skelter, Back In The USSR,,A Day In The Life, Here There & Everywhere, For No One, In My Life, Drive My Car, Rain, While my Guitar Gently Weeps, Girl, Norwegian Wood, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, I Want You She's So Heavy, I'm So Tired, And Your Bird Can Sing, She Said She Said, Taxman, Blackbird ...

I could on forever but that's why! every single one on these tracks which are album tracks or b-sides (in the case of Rain) no band in history can equal this & im talking across the entire planet!! in terms of them being household names. Led Zep are the only possible exception as they never released singles during their lifespan.

I could be very childish and purposely but them up against the weaker Queen album tracks but i wont. You ask the average man in the street who sang "ogre battle" or "michelle" i know which one they'll know

and im sick of the continual lennon/mccartney bashing & freddie was the greatest thing ever. Freddie was a wonderful talent but he got lazy in the 80's most Queen fans would admit this hence why may/taylor/deacon started to have hit singles.

Freddie's biggest single of the 80's "its a hard life" hardly his best was it? (in terms of chart position in the uk number 6) & it wasn't as though he was keeping his best tunes for mr. bad guy like someone else said "lets turn it on".

lets be totally truthful if it wasn't for freddie's illness he probably would have continued producing this sub-standard material for the rest of the 80's



P-Staker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 218 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 06:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's been said of Queen that they were "artificially propped pop, no soul, no talent." I consider all such claims bullshit by those who know very little, but pretend to be experts. Freddie himself was a huge fan of both Elvis and John Lennon.

Incidentally, Freddie once said "It destroys the soul to hear that you're all hype, that you have no talent, and that your whole career has been contrived."




Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 07:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its like comparing shit with Gold, GOLD=QUEEN


Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Isn't this fucker the same guy who posted, "Freddie was dumb because he was gay" and "Do girls like getting their hair pulled while being fucked?"?


"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saif wrote:

Isn't this fucker the same guy who posted, "Freddie was dumb because he was gay" and "Do girls like getting their hair pulled while being fucked?"?


btw about you sig, you have no idea how much truth it is in that statement!


Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 08:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's still going to take some time for people to reach a fair consensus about Freddie's talents as a composer and singer. It happens with every musician. Mutatis mutandis, I know Freddie is nothing like Beethoven, but in his own time such a seemingly, now, indisputed musician as Beethoven was both adored in a preposterous way and despised in an equally absurd manner.

That's Freddie, in some way: either hugely overrated by fan-aticism or sadly underrated by people who don't take the due time to give a real and careful listening to his songs.

But, for sure, he was a talented musician. Talented enough to be remembered without much reference or deference to the band he was in. Which is kind of weird too, I must say, given that he wasn't a solo artist.

Comparing Queen with the Beatles isn't a good move, I think: Queen, which is here taken to be only Freddie by the original poster, was a great band but the impact the Beatles had on music and the history of music is far beyond anything Queen could dream of.

It's a misleading comparison done with a too narrow focus.

And it's misleading in the sense that when the original poster says "Queen", he actually means Freddie.


Yara
im_on_the_wembley_dvd user not visiting Queenzone.com
im_on_the_wembley_dvd
Bohemian: 112 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 08:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pointless comparison from one of our American cousins Hey We gave you The Beatles & Queen different time different world in music terms.. Freddie would hate to hear this being said, he was inspired by John Lennon and even wrote a song in his memory (go play the Hot Space CD)
next you'll have us comparing New Kids On the Block with The Beach Boys


There can be only one
mulderakos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 09:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Come on man!Queen is the best group ever!The Beatles were too simple!Queen 4 ever...


mulderakos4life
drwinston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Sep 08, 10:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

im_on_the_wembley_dvd wrote:

Pointless comparison from one of our American cousins Hey We gave you The Beatles & Queen different time different world in music terms.. Freddie would hate to hear this being said, he was inspired by John Lennon and even wrote a song in his memory (go play the Hot Space CD)
next you'll have us comparing New Kids On the Block with The Beach Boys


Hey, we're not all so dense on this side of the pond!

"Christ, you know it ain't easy
You know how had it can be
The way things are going
Their going to crucify SomebodywhoLoves!"

I don't understand why there would be a competition. Maybe they can both perform for Simon Cowell and he can put all of this nonsense to rest once and for all!