Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > I took TCR back to the shop

forum rss feed
Author

Reading Princess user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 89 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Sep 08, 19:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't forget, if you are an proper Queen fan and still feel the need to buy the new stuff masquarading as Queen, you don't have to put up with crap.
I am proud to say that I was true to my inner voice and went back to ZAVVI in London and told them I wanted my money back. The Cosmos Rocks is total toilet. (I filled up a couple of holes in my Thin Lizzy collection instead).

L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 08, 20:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You could have downloaded it for free and you would have saved a trip to ZAWI.

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 08, 21:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

clear wrote:

Don't forget, if you are an proper Queen fan and still feel the need to buy the new stuff masquarading as Queen, you don't have to put up with crap.
I am proud to say that I was true to my inner voice and went back to ZAVVI in London and told them I wanted my money back. The Cosmos Rocks is total toilet. (I filled up a couple of holes in my Thin Lizzy collection instead).

Oh stop being so dramatic.

Posted: 26 Sep 08, 22:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha ha, it does sound dramatic doesn't it. Here's why - a review I wrote when I first heard it...

1 Cosmos Rockin – The guitar just after the opening “What planet is this?” is a direct steal from the opening of “I Would Do Anything For Love” by Meat Loaf.The structure sounds like a Jeff Lynne (ELO) song . The backing vocals remind me of The Beasties Boys “Fight For Your Right To PAAAARTY” thing from the 80’s – “the policeman says Stop This Noise”.And don’t forget , this is the opener – supposedly designed to grab us.

2 Time To Shine – Oh shit, is he going to try a Mustapha… no wait…it’s turned into Pinball Wizard. The wailing chorus sounds like John Farnham.

3 Still Burnin – A dirge. I was trying to identify the middle 8 guitar sound and was listening to clips from NOTW and Jazz and it made me sad. The quality and originality of the those albums just pisses over this. And then, OH MY GOD, the WWRY drum/clap. Bloody hell, are you doing a new album or is it a tribue. Why Paul Rogers would allow that is a mystery.

4 Small – Is this an attempt at an “Imagine” (music, not lyrics). I quite like the melody. That fazy bit towards the end is also a bit ELO (I suppose it’s the cosmos connection – Jeff should claim royalties).

5 Warboys – The opening reminded me of “Freedom Train” from “Happiness” but when I listened to “FT” it just reminded me of “Liar” (the syncopated rhythm). After that initial interest it goes nowhere. Another sludgy mess. I know that PR is a respected singer etc but to me he sounds constipated and having a good strain on the bog.

6 We Believe – The start of this sounds like a cross between the song that opened the last tour (Reaching Out?) and a Clliff Richard Christmas number. Then Brian rips off the riff from “Leaving Home Ain’t Easy” (keep up you youngun’s). When it gets going those typical Queen block harmonies are so obviously missing Fred’s voice. And the lyrics…. Brian Ithink..have an animal rights element at the end. Good on you Brian. How did you get Roger “Countryside Alliance” to agree to that one?

7 Call Me – A playful Brian number (sort of “Let Your Heart Rule Your Head”). Paul is much too butch for this though and has to finish the track with a dismissive laugh (as if to say “what a crock”… indeed).

8 Voodoo – Just un-necessary indulgent wank. At least “See What A Fool I’ve Been” had Fred’s voice on it.

9 Some Things That Glitter – Another song that tries to create interest by bringing in the drums after the first chorus (“Small”). This is SO weak.

10 C-lebrity – Yes, the people you refer to in the lyric have nothing to offer – but, obviously, neither have you anymore. And this was the single!!!!!!!! Old, bitter men realising their time in the sun has gone.

11 Through The Night – By this time even the most ardent QPR apologist must be reaching for the asprin bottle. I can’t think of any occasion in life when I’d like to listen to this depressing rot.

12 Say It’s No True – My partner (who only knows Queens music through me) said “Isn’t this Roger’s solo thing. Of course he’s right. It’s a rip off of “Foreign Sand”.

13 Surf’s Up, Schools Out – Jim Steinman (who wrote Meat Loaf’s most successful stuff) had a solo album called “Bad For Good”. The title track was used by Meat Loaf on his last album with Mr Brian May as guest guitarist. What a surprise that the original Jim Steinman album has a track called “Surf’s Up”. For good measure they’ve added the Alice Cooper title “School’s Out” and included some “Flash” style dialogue about weather warnings at the beginning.

PieterMC

Posted: 26 Sep 08, 22:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

clear wrote:

7 Call Me – A playful Brian number

Shame that Paul wrote it.

Posted: 26 Sep 08, 22:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well. I'l stand corrected if that is so. I thought all the songs were credited to all 3. And this track sounds, musically, so obviously one of Brian's quirky numbers. Maybe Paul wrote the lyrics.

Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 08, 22:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

clear wrote:

Ha ha, it does sound dramatic doesn't it. Here's why - a review I wrote when I first heard it...

1 Cosmos Rockin – The guitar just after the opening “What planet is this?” is a direct steal from the opening of “I Would Do Anything For Love” by Meat Loaf.The structure sounds like a Jeff Lynne (ELO) song . The backing vocals remind me of The Beasties Boys “Fight For Your Right To PAAAARTY” thing from the 80’s – “the policeman says Stop This Noise”.And don’t forget , this is the opener – supposedly designed to grab us.

2 Time To Shine – Oh shit, is he going to try a Mustapha… no wait…it’s turned into Pinball Wizard. The wailing chorus sounds like John Farnham.

3 Still Burnin – A dirge. I was trying to identify the middle 8 guitar sound and was listening to clips from NOTW and Jazz and it made me sad. The quality and originality of the those albums just pisses over this. And then, OH MY GOD, the WWRY drum/clap. Bloody hell, are you doing a new album or is it a tribue. Why Paul Rogers would allow that is a mystery.

4 Small – Is this an attempt at an “Imagine” (music, not lyrics). I quite like the melody. That fazy bit towards the end is also a bit ELO (I suppose it’s the cosmos connection – Jeff should claim royalties).

5 Warboys – The opening reminded me of “Freedom Train” from “Happiness” but when I listened to “FT” it just reminded me of “Liar” (the syncopated rhythm). After that initial interest it goes nowhere. Another sludgy mess. I know that PR is a respected singer etc but to me he sounds constipated and having a good strain on the bog.

6 We Believe – The start of this sounds like a cross between the song that opened the last tour (Reaching Out?) and a Clliff Richard Christmas number. Then Brian rips off the riff from “Leaving Home Ain’t Easy” (keep up you youngun’s). When it gets going those typical Queen block harmonies are so obviously missing Fred’s voice. And the lyrics…. Brian Ithink..have an animal rights element at the end. Good on you Brian. How did you get Roger “Countryside Alliance” to agree to that one?

7 Call Me – A playful Brian number (sort of “Let Your Heart Rule Your Head”). Paul is much too butch for this though and has to finish the track with a dismissive laugh (as if to say “what a crock”… indeed).

8 Voodoo – Just un-necessary indulgent wank. At least “See What A Fool I’ve Been” had Fred’s voice on it.

9 Some Things That Glitter – Another song that tries to create interest by bringing in the drums after the first chorus (“Small”). This is SO weak.

10 C-lebrity – Yes, the people you refer to in the lyric have nothing to offer – but, obviously, neither have you anymore. And this was the single!!!!!!!! Old, bitter men realising their time in the sun has gone.

11 Through The Night – By this time even the most ardent QPR apologist must be reaching for the asprin bottle. I can’t think of any occasion in life when I’d like to listen to this depressing rot.

12 Say It’s No True – My partner (who only knows Queens music through me) said “Isn’t this Roger’s solo thing. Of course he’s right. It’s a rip off of “Foreign Sand”.

13 Surf’s Up, Schools Out – Jim Steinman (who wrote Meat Loaf’s most successful stuff) had a solo album called “Bad For Good”. The title track was used by Meat Loaf on his last album with Mr Brian May as guest guitarist. What a surprise that the original Jim Steinman album has a track called “Surf’s Up”. For good measure they’ve added the Alice Cooper title “School’s Out” and included some “Flash” style dialogue about weather warnings at the beginning.

This is SO weak.

Blow it out your ass.
PieterMC

Posted: 26 Sep 08, 22:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

clear wrote:

Well. I'l stand corrected if that is so. I thought all the songs were credited to all 3. And this track sounds, musically, so obviously one of Brian's quirky numbers. Maybe Paul wrote the lyrics.

Yes they are all credited to QPR but they have been quoted in several interviews that Paul wrote that one. They did not collaborate writing on any tracks.

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 08, 23:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

clear wrote:

Oh stop being so dramatic.

LOL

Keep Passing the Open Windows
Nacho_itu user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 47 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 08, 01:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

clear wrote:

a proper queen fan? Tell me how i can recognize a PROPER queen fan, please...
A shame you didn't like the record, better luck next time... some people like it... some people not...
but you don't need to be such an assh*le with people actually liking this album. That is sooo childish... and looking the way you judge every song, i think you are very childish... yeah. Grow up, write something serious. It will make Queenzone a better place to share our opinions.

L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 08, 02:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A PROPER Queen fan is the one that recognizes this new album as....(I was going to say shit but regreted).

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
A_WintersTale user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 55 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 08, 06:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

clear wrote:

a proper queen fan? Tell me how i can recognize a PROPER queen fan, please...
A shame you didn't like the record, better luck next time... some people like it... some people not...
but you don't need to be such an assh*le with people actually liking this album. That is sooo childish... and looking the way you judge every song, i think you are very childish... yeah. Grow up, write something serious. It will make Queenzone a better place to share our opinions.

Even if clear writes you full guidelines of 500 pages you still wont be able to define a proper queen fan, simply because your intelectual capacity won't permit it. How do I judge for your intelectual capacity? By you praising something that is so obviously week as an art-work just because some smart ass put your prefered label on it. I bet you shop replica watches from the China shop at your place just because it SAYS Cartier on it. Good for you, buddy, keep spending YOUR money on rubbish. The shop-tender will be just happy on what kinda consummer-oriented prack with no basic criterea on good quality and bad quality you are! You'll make him happy, really!

Clear, buddy, just to let you know - after listening to SINT and C-lebrity, I didn't even dare to buy the crap.

TheGame user not visiting Queenzone.com
Yes dear, i DO want it all ;)
TheGame
Royalty: 1076 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 08, 06:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

Yes they are all credited to QPR but they have been quoted in several interviews that Paul wrote that one. They did not collaborate writing on any tracks.

Thats actually a new one, didnt know this. Thought they collaborated on atleast some of the tracks. It would be the natural thing to do in a new group.

As for the review goes: This is a person that cant let go of the past. It shows a narrow-minded person that cant accept the present.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 08, 07:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

clear wrote:

Thin Lizzy rock.

But your views on TCR are a bit odd. Each to his own.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
JeroenG user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 334 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 08, 07:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

(...)

(no need to say anything)

Queengirl47 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 87 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 08, 09:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I LOVE, LOVE the TCR album!!

It's something I haven't heard in a long time. Its fresh, fun, and just COOL !

Its FAR from crap, WTF?!....  it's a great album.  Im in Houston, Texas and ALL my friends who are young, and don't know much about Queen OR QPR like the album.  They like it a lot.  when we are on the road etc, they always wanteding me to put it in..    They say its catchy, and THEY will be getting it when its realsed here in Oct.

PS..... why do some like to be rude, and disrespectful on here????? 

firstly, I dont understand why you would tell a message board that you would take a album back??  take it back, good. why the need to SAY it?? Or type it??  Thats stupid. are you trying to prove something??

I guess a lot of you guys dont listen to much music thats OUT there. Cos if you did, TCR would be a MASTERPIECE to your ears! Truly.

There's MUCH to be said outside of TCR.
I can go no forever, but I have a life. A great rock album, from 2 guys who love doing what they are doing, and I feel it thru this album. 

You guys need to chill.  loosen up.

QUEENROCKS_1991 user not visiting Queenzone.com
QUEENROCKS_1991
Bohemian: 260 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 08, 09:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like it    bought 2  1 for the car  1 for indoor  

Those who dont like it   never mind  noone forced u to buy it :) 

THE SHOW MUST GO ON
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 08, 10:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They allowed you to return a CD that was opened?

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
Josh Henson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 693 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 08, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The debate as to whether the album sucks or not or QPR for that matter, could go on forever.  I do like the fact that Queen are still making music, even if it is with PR now, as that might be the only way they would do it, so I can accept that.  BUT, when you think of the past creativity of Queen and compare it to this album, it falls extremely short.  I am not comparing TCR to a Queen album at all while I'm listening to it.  I am however listening to TCR as an album and it just sucks.  Plain and simple.  I don't expect TCR to sound like a Queen album, becuase they aren't Queen anymore, but musically and lyrically this album isn't that good.  Face the facts.

I'm just getting used to my new exposure

Come into my enclosure

And meet my melancholy blues
scottmax user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 348 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 08, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OOOOOOOOh. Sour!!