Forums > Queen - General Discussion > An open letter to.... Queen and Paul Rodgers

forum rss feed
Author

mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Sep 08, 22:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Published Date: 30 September 2008
Seventeen years after Freddie Mercury's death, Queen have just released a new album with Free frontman Paul Rodgers. Their European tour comes to Scotland next month. It's all very exciting.

Dear Paul Rodgers, Brian May and Roger Taylor
So chaps, how did last night's gig at Zurich Hallenstadion go? Did you have the whole house rocking? Did you have the whole town rocking, in fact, to the mighty mighty power of rock'n'roll? Did all of your Swiss fans dance out of the door, dance into the street, all the people swaying to the musical beat? Did you rock down the road and down to the town, where all the people stared and smiled and got down? Did a policeman say "stop this noise!" before the beat took him over and he became one of the boys?

Ha ha! I am, as you have probably spotted, paraphrasing the lyrics of Cosmos Rockin', the blistering opening number from your long-awaited new album, The Cosmos Rocks, a collection of brand new Queen songs that have enhanced the band's reputation in much the same way as your duet with the boy band Five, the critically acclaimed musical We Will Rock You, and Too Much Love Will Kill You, Brian May's touching and sensitively titled tribute to Freddie Mercury, following his death from Aids in 1991.

It really is a splendid album, chaps. I'm particularly enjoying C-Lebrity, your wittily titled critique of celebrity culture. "I can't sing or dance at all. Some may say I'm lackadaisical, and if I was real good I'd stand no chance at all. I want to be a face on TV. Then you can see I'm a c-lebrity." That song will certainly give the likes of Jade Goody and Victoria Beckham something to think about. It's about time someone pointed out that celebrities aren't all they're cut out to be. I mean, some of them are just famous for being famous!

I'm also a big fan of Warboys, a devastating anti-war protest song. "Their language is the language of the bullet and the gun," as Paul Rodgers sings, laying into the Warboys of the title, his voice full of heartfelt anger and passion. "If you can see them coming, baby, better run."

For me, it's a powerful companion piece to Status Quo's In the Army Now and Zombie by The Cranberries , and has certainly made me think about war in a different way. I was particularly moved by the verse where Paul sings "Warboys, warboys, children and their toys, Warboys, warboys, make lot a noise, Warboys, when the lightning explodes, I pray for your soul." Soldiers do make a lot of noise, don't they, with all those tanks and guns? But the most powerful lines are in the closing verse, where Paul reminds us that, even though it's the soldiers who do all the killing in wars, the army is not entirely to blame – no, we must never forget that it's people higher up the chain of power that make the decisions about whether wars happen or not. The soldiers, as Paul points out, are ultimately just "helping to kill, those who deserve to die. Tell me who decides. You and I. We have the power."

That's right, we do have the power. And if we choose to use that power for good, we can do something to stop those evil Warboys from starting all those wars and killing all those people and making all that noise. I'm guessing that using our power might have something to do with spreading the word about songs like Warboys, but I'm going to come along to your gig in Glasgow on 11 October, where I look forward to hearing what else I can do about the Warboys and their noise.

My favourite song, though, is probably Surf's Up… School's Out. I can't think of any other band who'd think of putting those two classic rock phrases in the same song. That old Queen magic is still there! And it's a song that has a message too. "For a perfect life, find a perfect girl. You gotta follow that dream to a perfect world," sings Paul Rodgers. I'm sure Freddie Mercury would fully endorse that sentiment.

The song also contains the kind of inspiring insights into life's brutal truths that only men approaching pension age would have the wisdom and life experience to come up with. "In the town and the country/ We all lay and dreamed our dreams, Then we found the world is tough/ And all is not quite what it seems." Surely everyone can empathise with that. Especially if you've run into one of those Warboys at some point along the way.

Anyway, Paul, Brian and Roger, I just wanted to write and say that it's fantastic that you're still rocking the cosmos after all these years. I'm sure everyone will agree that Paul is a worthy addition to the band's line-up, and could soon even – dare I say it? – eclipse memories of Freddie Mercury. The new songs are definitely up there with Bohemian Rhapsody.

Somewhere up there, Freddie is looking down on you and humming along to your new album – perhaps, even now, he's singing the words to the poignant Say It's Not True: "Say it's not true. You can say it's not right. It's hard to believe/ The size of the crime."

http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment/An-open-letter-to-Queen.4539676.jp

The full article contains 906 words and appears in The Scotsman newspaper.
Page 1 of 1

* Last Updated: 29 September 2008 8:24 PM
* Source: The Scotsman

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6338 posts

Posted: 30 Sep 08, 22:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You forgot to mention how great The Musical is.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
anna_libra user not visiting Queenzone.com
anna_libra
Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"The new songs are definitely up there with Bohemian Rhapsody."

wtf???

champagne in a glass slipper
jazzy mercurois user not visiting Queenzone.com
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 01:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OPEN LETTER TO QUEEN AND PAUL RODGERS.

*ANTHRAX*

Hopefully they will open the envelope.

Cheers,
Hor

CONLACANTINACONLACANTORACONLATELEVISIONGASTADORA
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 02:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dare I say it? – eclipse memories of Freddie Mercury

thats the only part that I disagree with, no-one is trying to replace him, and certainly not eclipse him either, in fact, they even have tracks of Freddie singing and even huge pictures of him appear on the screen,  other than that, I think it is a fine letter

:)
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 04:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bad Horsie wrote:

OPEN LETTER TO QUEEN AND PAUL RODGERS. *ANTHRAX* Hopefully they will open the envelope. Cheers, wHore

Fuck you, that's not funny.

Cwazy little thing user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 05:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Im not sure about that letter at all - I think someone is taking the piss.

The whole thing wreaks of sarcasm - lets be honest, no one thought the collaboration with Five was legacy enhancing.

Its either a wind up, or its written by someone very strange.

Adventure Seeker on an empty street...

www.myspace.com/ampfirerock
0val user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 05:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, FUCK YOU, 'cuz that's just hilarious!

0val user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 05:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope they all die. Cheers, 0val

LucTonnerre user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 06:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can you spell IRONY?Great article full of disappointment about this thing they call an Queen album.
I absolutely agree with the author. TCR is a disgrace, a slap in the face of every Queen fan.

new one user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 06:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is real, go to scotsman.com and search for queen and paul rodgers and you'll find it. I find it very poor journalism if indeed it can be called that. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and this is the lowest form of journalism

cosmoSEBrocks26 user not visiting Queenzone.com
cosmoSEBrocks26
Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

upset with for my English means, but i think that since the group Queen Paul Rodgers, the future of Rock has beautiful days before him, since the last real album of Queen "smart link Corporation" because i believe that "made in heaven" is a good work group post fatal of labour, Freddie music in the world was really sense. But since the training very ingenious group Queen Paul Rodgers in 2004 things have advanced. It was view of the group as "police, Genesis 47, Pink flyod" for the tying together. The old group as this gives a real meaning to the music. Today Queen Paul Rodgers so a new album magnificent even if the criticism is not good because if i AIS good remember Queen na never really had good critical on their album. note although i am dates Bercy and zurick - hallenstadion and the atmosphere was really magical and that there was énorment young people to see the show.
Queen Paul rodegrs is a new group which goes well yet we surprised and with a beautiful future.
God save the Queen Paul Rodgers

godsavethequeen-c'est la vie....
jazzy mercurois user not visiting Queenzone.com
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 07:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

inu-liger wrote:

Bad Horsie wrote:

OPEN LETTER TO QUEEN AND PAUL RODGERS. *ANTHRAX* Hopefully they will open the envelope. Cheers, wHore
Fuck you, that's not funny. Fuck me, yeah. In the ass, if possible.

Cheers,
Whore Hor

CONLACANTINACONLACANTORACONLATELEVISIONGASTADORA
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 08:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can understand people not liking the album, but the sheer level of hatred shown towards QPR by some people just amazes me.

ermin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 08:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not about unreasonable hate. Since Brian himself said that QPR is akin to a new beginning, I'm treating their product as such. If I were to blind-listen TCR (without knowing who it was), I wouldn't like it. It's not because they 'betrayed' Freddie or anything like that. It's because I simply don't like it. Reasonable people disagree, and disagree respectfully.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 08:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ermin wrote:

It's not about unreasonable hate. Since Brian himself said that QPR is akin to a new beginning, I'm treating their product as such. If I were to blind-listen TCR (without knowing who it was), I wouldn't like it. It's not because they 'betrayed' Freddie or anything like that. It's because I simply don't like it. Reasonable people disagree, and disagree respectfully.

And that is fine. I still don't think that any sort of hate is necessary. There are plenty of artists that I don't like. I don't feel like I HATE them though.

Queenfred user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenfred
Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's the funniest thing I've read in ages! Very well done indeed.

Gentleman, you can't fight in here - this is The War Room!
Soul Brother user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 411 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 08:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If the band HAD been called Green Onions it would have avoided a lot of this crap.

Incidentally, The Scotsman newspaper is shite and in terminal decline.  Wonder why?

He's my best friend he's my champion
Josh Henson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 693 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 08:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ermin wrote:

I totally agree with what you said.

I'm just getting used to my new exposure

Come into my enclosure

And meet my melancholy blues
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 08, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That letter is about as funny as Uganda.  They could've saved me a bit of time by just writing "Didn't like the album".  Probably would've gotten a solitary chuckle, which is one more chuckle than they got out of me in reality.

Some people should fuck off to Neptune, I swear to God.....

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller