mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Oct 08, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By John Aizlewood, Evening Standard 14.10.08
Queen

Not really Queen: Paul Rodgers keeps the band going
Queen? Not really. Freddie Mercury cannot be with us for well-documented reasons, bassist John Deacon prefers to sit at home counting his money and polishing his dignity, leaving guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor as the half who wouldn’t let things lie.

The joy and genius of Queen was the outrageously camp Mercury vying for supremacy with three blokey blokes. More often than not, the tension in a band of four songwriters and three singers resulted in what was genuinely a kind of magic.

Since 2004, May and Taylor have replaced Mercury with Paul Rodgers. Once of Free and Bad Company, Rodgers is a harmonica-playing, microphone-stand-twirling, great British bawler. Alas, the 58-year-old Teessider married to a former Miss Canada is too sexually uncomplicated to strut in Mercury’s shoes.

Rodgers was a curious figure, occasionally brilliant, as when tearing through I Want To Break Free and wrestling in manly fashion with The Show Must Go On. Yet he fluffed more than one line and when a lighter touch was required, he struggled. Radio Gaga is a nostalgic paean to an idealised childhood, not a hairy-chested romp, although the spellbinding Leni Riefenstahl-esque syncopated clapping brought out the latent totalitarian in everyone. Strangely, he needed an autocue, although you suspect May and Taylor hoped their newish singer would be familiar with Queen’s songs by now: after all, by unhappy osmosis even I know every last lumpen line of the loathsome (“no time for losers”) We Are The Champions.

So, in a Faustian accommodation with Rodgers, May and Taylor have re-written Queen’s history to re-position them as meat ’n’ potatoes rockers and omitted the bulk of their great songs (You’re My Best Friend, Now I’m Here, Las Palabras De Amor, Innuendo, Don’t Stop Me Now among many others). It was as if the dazzling, ground-breaking, reflective, wry Queen had never existed.

Instead, there was Fat Bottomed Girls; new songs, including We Believe (improbably even more pompous than its title with its “we believe there’s a deed of obligation to bring reconciliation” line), while comedian Al Murray appeared on Cosmos Rockin’. There was a torturous drum solo, an interminable guitar solo and Free’s All Right Now (a song that is always too soon to hear yet again). Most tellingly of all, Mercury’s appearance on screen during Bohemian Rhapsody only emphasised that, in Queen’s case, the past is a superior place and nobody present last night thought otherwise.

Queen + Paul Rodgers play the 02
Arena 7 November and Wembley Arena 8 November (0870 534 4444)).

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/gig-23353243-details/Queen+Plus+Paul+Rodgers/gigReview.do?reviewId=23572443

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
new one user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 08, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CHARMING!!!!

P-Staker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 218 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 08, 17:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By John Aizlewood, Evening Standard 14.10.08

las, the 58-year-old Teessider married to a former Miss Canada is too sexually uncomplicated to strut in Mercury’s shoes.

John Aizlewood, you're sad little wanker.

Hitman1965 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hitman1965
Bohemian: 247 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 08, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is it with these journalists?  Do they spend all day looking in the mirror mastubating their own egos then spending all night reviewing Queen + Paul Rodgers concerts sh***ing on fans and the band to try and justify their limited literary output? Can just see it now you can just imagine John writing in his blog http://www.johnaizlewood.com/Pages_misc/misc1.php ow yes I am so impotant (sorry important), ow yes just look how clever I am - let's poke fun at Queen and Paul to make me look big. Go on check out his website and let him know what you think of his literary wit and wisdom!

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 08, 18:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What a mean-spirited piece of trash.

And once again they hold it against PR that he's hetrosexual.
I've seen that over and over again.

He spends so much time blowing up Freddie, then tears apart one of Freddie's best compositions. Which he probably though Brian wrote.

I guarantee this fuckhead would have been just as nasty if Freddie were still alive and this was their comeback tour.

steve nicholas user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 08, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sjn
Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 620 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 08, 18:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Knute wrote:

I guarantee this fuckhead would have been just as nasty if Freddie were still alive and this was their comeback tour.

This doesn't make sense. If he was still alive... why it would be a comeback tour? Or why there would be a tour, or TCR at all? Enough of ifs.

About the review, there's nothing left to say.

Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 08, 21:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"It was as if the dazzling, ground-breaking, reflective, wry Queen had never existed."

Says it all really

Denmagic user not visiting Queenzone.com
Denmagic
Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 03:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since 2004, May and Taylor have replaced Mercury with Paul Rodgers.

Does this asshole excuse of a journalist not know what Queen + (plus) Paul Rodgers means.  Freddie wasn't replaced.

Anyway, this is why Freddie refused to talk to the trashy press when he was alive. 

keith a user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 05:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mr aizlewood
if they are so poor,then why are all the concerts (sold out)
I was at the nottingham concert(SOLD OUT) ...and they were fantastic

k anderson
LucTonnerre user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 08:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me it seems that most of the journalists just say the truth that most Queen fans are too scared to admit.
QUEEN + PAUL RODGERS suck. Face the fact.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4681 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LucTonnerre wrote:

For me it seems that most of the journalists just say the truth that most Queen fans are too scared to admit.

Presumably then most journalist were correct when they said Queen avec Freddie de Mercury were aussi merde?

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 09:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LucTonnerre wrote:

For me it seems that most of the journalists just say the truth that most Queen fans are too scared to admit. QUEEN + PAUL RODGERS suck. Face the fact.

That settles it, then.

Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bloody ell' I think the tosser must have spent longer going through the dictionary looking for words we couldn't understand then wrote this review! Cock Jocky.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A lot of people seem to agree that:

I guess.  But let me further that for you.

The Rippingtons suck.  Even though their guitarist is freaking amazing and writes nearly every tune that's not a cover, they suck.  It sounds like elevator music.  Whenever you hear it, you think it's a commercial for 107.5 The Oasis jazz station.

Oh wait, there are actually people out there that appreciate more than one kind of band!!  That explains why I have 9 of their CDs.  I also have a few Beethoven CDs.  Yes, that yawny sophisticated crap with the violins.  How bout some Tom T. Hall?  Got a couple of those, too.  But I guess since the four original members of Queen weren't involved, it must suck.

But if someone who's got virtually no musical skill compared to the artist in question says "they suck", well they must be right.  Parlophone must be run by a bunch of idiots, how have they stayed in the biz so long?

It's amazing how you Q+PR haters are starting to sound a lot like Treasure Moment.  But if Q+PR "suck" and TM "suck", then you've just given them quite an endorsement. 

drifter user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha, fantastic!

queentel user not visiting Queenzone.com
I dont like Queen + PR

Bohemian: 266 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Most tellingly of all, Mercury’s appearance on screen during Bohemian Rhapsody only emphasised that, in Queen’s case, the past is a superior place and nobody present last night thought otherwise.

That says it all for me.

Thefairytellersmasterstroke
Hitman1965 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hitman1965
Bohemian: 247 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LucTonnerre wrote:

Sorry let me get to the point - you are talking out of your backside! I would lower myself to using a range of expletives at this point but can't be bothered with wasting my efforts on your posting.  What are you doing on Queenzone in the first place?

The only thing that sucks around here is you!

«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» user not visiting Queenzone.com
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤»
Bohemian: 479 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hitman wrote:The only thing that sucks around here is you!

You've got it wrong Hitman... You don't have to like Queen+Paul Rodgers to be a  Queen fan!!! I've listened to Queen when it was "QUEEN" probably longer than most of you have been alive!! I could care less about the other!!

I Love these reviews....makes all your Queen and Paul Rodgers Fans take a little fit!!

¥~Ït’š iñ thë LåÞ øf thè Gódš~¥

Posted: 16 Oct 08, 02:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» wrote:

I Love these reviews....makes all your Queen and Paul Rodgers Fans take a little fit!!

Ah, so that's your little victory? Some people can't be picky, I guess.

How did it go? Oh yeah: "By unhappy osmosis even I know every last lumpen line of the loathsome (“no time for losers”) We Are The Champions." Did he rub into Paul's nasty face!