Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > My thoughts on Cardiff gig last night

forum rss feed
Author

welchyyyyy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 04:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

as a long time Queen fan (about 30 years) and having seen quite a few live shows with Freddie I have to say that I enjoyed last nights gig as much as any of them. One of my mates who I persuaded into buying a ticket even though he's not into Queen that much- he's into Metallica and Slipnot and goes to metal gigs pretty much weekly - tapped me on the shoulder just before WWRY and shouted "this is one of the best f**** gigs I've ever been to mate, nice one !"
okay so i'd love to see them do It's Late, White Man, Great King Rat etc as much as the next fan but it's not going to happen
i loved love of my life - Cardiff sang their hearts out on this (and were generally a bloody brilliant crowd) - everyone by me had tears in their eyes
loved '39
even loved Rogers drum thing - so did my missus and she hates drum and guitar solos - she went to the loo when Brian did his Brighton Rock thing - then came back and said that she was listening in there and she loved that too !!  i thought it was one of the better guitar solos he's done, very loud and intense
generally Brian was on very good form indeed and Paul was fantastic aswell
low lights of the night - erm...none ..apart from the twat of a beer seller souting "beer" during some of the quiet bits of the gig
highlights..loads - the whole gig was fantastic and i'm so glad i went - i didnt go to the 2005 tour  - being a die hard old Queen fan i didnt think it was right but ive changed my mind
ok so the new album aint a classic but its okay, and they dont play some great album tracks but theyve got so many songs it must be difficult to choose  -- there are a few i wouldnt have in there like break free, kind of magic, but how many gigs have you been to by other bands where they play "this is our new stuff" etc
Queen played the hits, they played them bloody well, i looked around in We are the Champions and i saw 7500 people having a fantastic time,
God save the Queen !!!

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 04:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agree with pretty much all of that. I was up in the balcony and the only real complaint I have is that it wasn't loud enough! It was quieter than the 1984 gigs I saw, and quiter than Brian's solo gig at the RAH in 1998. I was looking forward to the new stuff and PR's solo stuff, but not so mouch the older Queen tracks. If I'm honest, there was some magic missing in things like CLTCL, AOBTD, WWRY, WATC and esp. BoRap. Obvious reason for that of course. PR tries hard but his voice doesn't suit some of these songs. But TSMGO was awesome, and there were excellent versions of Hammer To Fall and I Want it All. Must admit I had something in my eye during Love of my Life too. Roger was in excellent form and IILWMC, AKOM and SINT were all good. What can I say about Roger's drum solo except that he must be auditioning for Spinal tap 2. Still, after years thinking he has 'lost it' as far as drumming goes, he was blody good last night. I've seen some complaints about brian's guitar playing here but he was note perfect in Cardiff, and he made a real effort to stick closely to the studio versions of solos, for example during HTF and AKOM. Even though I've heard it 100 times, his solo still sounded awesome. Bijou and Last Horizon work very well live too. This was a genuine sold out concert: from mys eat in the balcony I could see the crowd went all the way to the back and all the way to both walls at the sides. And they were really into it, with great responses to all the songs but esp. 39, LOML, Bo Rap, GaGa and WWRY/WATC. PR's solo stuff went down really well too. Al Right Now is brilliant live. I'm not very good at remembering stuff like this but i think the set list was the same as at the O2 except that they didn;t play We Believe. Only real disappointment is that they didn't play Time to Shine or Some Things That Glitter. 

I wasn't going to go to this until a few days beforehand when I decided I couldn't miss maybe the last opportunity to see them live again. It's not the same as the Freddie days, but I was under no illusions about that. I'm glad I made the right decision.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 05:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

glad you enjoyed too
re the loudness i thought it was just about right, could have been a tad louder but it wasnt far off  - i was on the floor about the middle but i did think that Brians solos sounded muffled for the first half hour or so, then it picked up and they became a bit clearer  - saying that though i thought his playing was near perfect, solos were spot on and even during bijou and last horizon where if he were to make a mistake it would be really obvious as theres no drums or vocals, he didn't falter at all
did you think Brian looked a bit knackered ?  its been mentioned on other threads here and he looked a bit down at times  - maybe just concentrating, or just the tour taking its toll ?
i agree about roger - he's still a great drummer
borhap - yes it wasnt the best version theyve ever done but overall i'd give the gig 9 out of 10
everyone went home very happy i think

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 05:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nive reviews guys... I have to say after reading some of the press reviews of the O2 gig, it makes you wonder if the guy even turned up on the night.

One I read last night on the train home started 'It's a kinda tragic' and basically slammed them saying it was nothing compared to Queen with Freddie (Which of course the press also hated) However like you turning round at the O2 to see nearly 20,000 people all screaming and waving as one was simply breathtaking.

The reviewer also commented on how they 'left out all the great Freddie tracks like Don't Stop Me Now.... Think it's been a while since that one had an airng mate....

Anyway, wish I had been in Cardiff, can't wait till Wembley...

How did Neil Murray do?

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 05:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought Brian's playing was as good as I've ever heard it and I think therefore that he must be putting a huge effort into it, not just concentrating on his playing but also all the manoeuvering he has to do on stage. He did say that it was very hot in the CIA, so he must be feelinbg it a bit. Let's hope he doesn't wear himself out. Definitely a 'value for money' show and i agree the crowd enjoyed every minute of it.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 05:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

neil murray was brilliant
you didnt really notice him to be honest, which is a good thing for a bass player in my opinion - if you notice the bass player he's generally playing some bum notes ! lol !
he was solid and did the job perfectly. Huge respect to the guy for doing that at a few hours notice, that must take some balls !!

"Neil allright mate its Brian May hows things what are you doing tonight"
"watching coronation street"
"No youre not, ring Bobs taxis and get yourself to cardiff !!!

PS CARDIFF CIA - get some bloody air con !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welchy, did you hear what someone in the crowd shouted to Roger from his left side as he started his drum solo? He shouted something back, which raised a laugh. 

Also, during Last Horizon, did Brian break a string or did some other malfuncton happen to the Red Special?

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 06:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry if that was mentioned somewhere before and I missed it: did Roger play this "drumstick-on-bass" solo with Neil Murray or was it dropped?

I do not want any google ads here.

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 06:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I´ve read somewhere at QOL Forum he broke a string

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
DragonOnMyBack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 367 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I am pretty sure it was a broken string.

And it was Jamie who played the Bass Solo with Roger last night. Not quite as smooth / well practised as Danny but still made a very good substitue.

wegotit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 289 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

Sorry if that was mentioned somewhere before and I missed it: did Roger play this "drumstick-on-bass" solo with Neil Murray or was it dropped?

he played it wih jamie

simonm1986 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 07:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian broke a string just at the crucial moment of Last Horizon! But the band recovered superbly and with a quick change of guitar they finished it off in style! Absolutely fantastic gig, everyone was on top form. Really was extremely hot in the CIA though! Luckily I was in the front 2 rows and managed to get hold of some water from the security guys, cheers! Was anyone else near the left hand side of the catwalk and noticed that crazy woman pushing her way around and continuously elbowing and shoving people! At one point a few people almost became tempted to throw her over the barrier lol! I think she was a few sandwiches short of a picnic!
Didn't manage to spoil what was an absolutely fantastic night though! 10/10

Daveboy35 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 07:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi guys i was there last night and what a show it was better than the 2005 show i was at the front virtually on brian's side so had a good view, the band to me were well tuned to each other brian in particular was on fire.
I thought the concert surpassed any expectations i had brian stated that danny was ill and in very short notice he introduced neil murray and he got a round of applause, and the songs flowed and before you knew it we were arm swinging to WATC i never forget nights like these when you see your idols everything else is second best bar my wife and my son of course.

Highlights:

Brian breaking a string on last horizon just before the discoball
Roger's drum solo/bass solo
brian's solo
The show must go on was superb
Paul almost clouting brian with mike stand it was very very close to hitting his head.

Only bug bear was that it was boiling hot in there some air conditioning would have helped but i didn't mind sweating to see my band.

I just hope we'll see them maybe one more time who knows???

I got some pics not that good i'll put them on soon cheerio.

Yes we'll keep on tryin

we'll tread that fine line

oh oh we'll keep on tryin

till the end of time

till the end of time.

Sandi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi here is my opinion
I loved it - I've never seen queen live before (with or without PR) but it was BRILLIANT.
Yes the CIA gets hot but I found it no hotter than other concerts i've been to there - the only difference was that as a standing concert there are other bodies closer to you than a seated concert. I've been front row seated with pyrotechnics before now thats IS HOT!!!!
Everyone around us was dancing -clapping and singing along ALL through the show. My hubby is a die hard Queen fan and loved every minute of it - he was even wiping tears during Love of my life which i consider to be one of the highlights from last night - another highlight for me was Rogers ever growing drum kit.
All in all a fantastic night and well worth every penny - i'm just gutted we can't do it all over again.
These are my pics from last night and i also will be uploading a couple of video clips too
Some of them aren't brilliant but considering we were quite a way back a couple are better than I'd hoped - hope you enjoy them.

Edited as link was broken - I've fixed it now lol

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=169222&l=a7de5&id=504735088

Usually found on Facebook.
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 08:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

simonm1986 wrote:

Was anyone else near the left hand side of the catwalk and noticed that crazy woman pushing her way around and continuously elbowing and shoving people! At one point a few people almost became tempted to throw her over the barrier lol! I think she was a few sandwiches short of a picnic!
Didn't manage to spoil what was an absolutely fantastic night though! 10/10

I noticed security take some woman away from the crowd @ stage left but I'm not sure if that was her or not.

We Are The Champions user not visiting Queenzone.com
We Are The Champions
Bohemian: 879 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 08:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DAVIDBRENDAM wrote:

Hi guys i was there last night and what a show it was better than the 2005 show i was at the front virtually on brian's side so had a good view, the band to me were well tuned to each other brian in particular was on fire.
I thought the concert surpassed any expectations i had brian stated that danny was ill and in very short notice he introduced neil murray and he got a round of applause, and the songs flowed and before you knew it we were arm swinging to WATC i never forget nights like these when you see your idols everything else is second best bar my wife and my son of course.

Highlights:

brian's solo
Paul almost clouting brian with mike stand it was very very close to hitting his head.

Only bug bear was that it was boiling hot in there some air conditioning would have helped but i didn't mind sweating to see my band.

I totally agree with the above comments - Brian on fire, Paul was shit hot last night, Neil Murray. Jamie and Spike really on top notch and of course Roger's drum solo.

A much better show than 2005 without a doubt. I was pretty close to you David Brenham as I was on Brian's side right under the speakers. Paul has nailed Show Must Go On - superb as you say.

The only bad thing about the gig was not gig related -  stupid twat with a rucksack carrying plastic bottles of beer and it was boiling as well. Don't mind sweating a bit but the CIA needs AC now!!!

I hope they realease this as a DVD - very unlikely in terms of the size of the venue I know but a fantastic night out even though I had been standing for over 5 hours in the queues and the gig combined!!!

This gig definitely surpassed expectations. The opening Cosmos Rocks piece  - much better than last tour and got you in the mood straight away. 6 classics all in a row. Glad they didn't do One Vision - already been done as they say! Overall impressive stuff. Queen are rockin'n again!!

It may be my imagination but the crowd were maybe more respectful of Paul this time as well = he was great last night. The band were really relaxed - that's what made the night so enjoyable!!

We all of us deeply apologise for this god forsaken shit heap of a building...but we will make it rock.

Brian May Wembley Pavilion 11.05.05.
Daveboy35 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 09:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We Are The Champions wrote:

DAVIDBRENDAM wrote:

Highlights:

brian's solo

I totally agree with the above comments - Brian on fire, Paul was shit hot last night, Neil Murray. Jamie and Spike really on top notch and of course Roger's drum solo.

A much better show than 2005 without a doubt. I was pretty close to you David Brenham as I was on Brian's side right under the speakers. Paul has nailed Show Must Go On - superb as you say.

The only bad thing about the gig was not gig related -  stupid twat with a rucksack carrying plastic bottles of beer and it was boiling as well. Don't mind sweating a bit but the CIA needs AC now!!!

I hope they realease this as a DVD - very unlikely in terms of the size of the venue I know but a fantastic night out even though I had been standing for over 5 hours in the queues and the gig combined!!!

This gig definitely surpassed expectations. The opening Cosmos Rocks piece  - much better than last tour and got you in the mood straight away. 6 classics all in a row. Glad they didn't do One Vision - already been done as they say! Overall impressive stuff. Queen are rockin'n again!!

It may be my imagination but the crowd were maybe more respectful of Paul this time as well = he was great last night. The band were really relaxed - that's what made the night so enjoyable!!

We might have been next to each other haha but yeah it was fabulous i was right under the speakers as well i was wearing the 2005 tour t-shirt,  yeah i found that too he received a lot of applause on our side and i know that must mean something to him.  yeah we got there at 5.10pm and queued and then 4 hours in the arena and by 7.30 i was sick to death of hearing elvis, jerry lee lewis etc....

Yes we'll keep on tryin

we'll tread that fine line

oh oh we'll keep on tryin

till the end of time

till the end of time.

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I turned up about 7:30, went straight to find my seat (which took about 90 seconds), then off to the bar ;)

However a bottle of Carlsberg cost £3.90  :o

We Are The Champions user not visiting Queenzone.com
We Are The Champions
Bohemian: 879 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 09:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DAVIDBRENDAM wrote:

We Are The Champions wrote:

DAVIDBRENDAM wrote:

Highlights:

brian's solo

We might have been next to each other haha but yeah it was fabulous i was right under the speakers as well i was wearing the 2005 tour t-shirt,  yeah i found that too he received a lot of applause on our side and i know that must mean something to him.  yeah we got there at 5.10pm and queued and then 4 hours in the arena and by 7.30 i was sick to death of hearing elvis, jerry lee lewis etc....

Why the hell didn't we arrange a meet - hell of a gig though!.

We all of us deeply apologise for this god forsaken shit heap of a building...but we will make it rock.

Brian May Wembley Pavilion 11.05.05.
Sandi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 08, 10:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some video clips
I'm still in the process of uploading (think there's 5 in total to go on there)
http://www.youtube.com/user/kiansoldteddy

Usually found on Facebook.