Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > AKOM: Roger or Paul?

forum rss feed
Author

IC 6071 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 08, 23:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who do you like better on vocals for A Kind of Magic? I personally favor Roger, but I'm a big time Roger fan anyway. Here is an awesome clip I found on YT of them doing AKOM at the O2 Arena:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv_Y5MHokcE

Roger still sounds damn good! I would almost kill to see them do Fight From the Inside.

-Adam

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 08, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger 100%. He's badass.

Not that Paul is bad at it though! I just think it suits Roger better... This had BETTER be one of the official download tracks later. This really makes me wish Roger had more of an active singing role on the new album.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 08, 01:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Having heard/seen both versions many times, I agree that Roger's version is much much much better. In fact I've always hated this song (and hated it even more with Paul's vocals) but with Roger on the B-stage... it rocks!

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 08, 03:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger ftw

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2237 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 08, 04:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bloody hell. Roger!
Infact, Roger should be singing most of the songs.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 08, 04:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger. It's his song. What's more, they should do HIS version.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 08, 06:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger. It was not only the singing, it was Paul Rodgers not moving at all during this song (don't go too far away from the tele prompter!) which made the song boring.

I do not want any google ads here.

Cwazy little thing user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 08, 07:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote:

Roger. It's his song. What's more, they should do HIS version.

I would argue the live version has always been something of a middle ground between the original version of AKOM and what eventually got released anyway.

I'd like to hear Rog singing it in Liverpool just to be different, cos I've heard Paul do it!
I also want something like Shooting Star to come back into the set and extend the "Paul section" a bit more.

Oh, and Warboys!

Adventure Seeker on an empty street...

www.myspace.com/ampfirerock
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3039 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 08, 08:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Def Roger.  I actually said to my wife in the car on the way to the O2 on Monday that although I like AKOM, it always sounded ropey with PR singing it.  I wa unware that Roger was signing it now, and so was very pleased when it came round at the gig; a great vocal.

It was especially nice that at the end of the song (after a very hot solo from Brian),  Roger and Brian shared what seemed to be a genuinely spur of the moment thing when they clasped arms, congratulated each other, and Roger announced something along the lines of 'I'll tell ya, that guy still know how to play that guitar'  - nice!!

im_on_the_wembley_dvd user not visiting Queenzone.com
im_on_the_wembley_dvd
Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 08, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Def Roger he was awesome at Nottingham and the O2 can't wait for Liverpool they still are A KInd Of Magic (Aw)
Yep I like Paul but he doesn't quite cut it on some songs.

There can be only one
We Are The Champions user not visiting Queenzone.com
We Are The Champions
Bohemian: 879 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 08, 10:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IC 6071 wrote:

Who do you like better on vocals for A Kind of Magic? I personally favor Roger, but I'm a big time Roger fan anyway. Here is an awesome clip I found on YT of them doing AKOM at the O2 Arena:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv_Y5MHokcE

Roger still sounds damn good! I would almost kill to see them do Fight From the Inside.

-Adam
Roger  - 100 % Paul version was probably one of the weakest songs on the 2005 tour. It's much better with Roger's vocals. His voice is pretty damn good!!

We all of us deeply apologise for this god forsaken shit heap of a building...but we will make it rock.

Brian May Wembley Pavilion 11.05.05.
MercuryArts user not visiting Queenzone.com
MercuryArts
Bohemian: 839 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 08, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since I am in the States & have not seen any of the shows. I have listened to a couple songs live I have DL'd. My question is, When Roger is singing AKOM, Is he playing the drums or is it another backing track like Radio & Days form the last tour?

"Take care of those you call your own"
Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 08, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MercuryArts - he's singing and playing drums in the same time and he is really proud of it.$0$0$0$0No backing tracks on this tour, I think... not counting the Freddie bits, of course.$0

We Are The Champions user not visiting Queenzone.com
We Are The Champions
Bohemian: 879 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 08, 16:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Scully wrote:

MercuryArts - he's singing and playing drums in the same time and he is really proud of it.$0$0$0$0No backing tracks on this tour, I think... not counting the Freddie bits, of course.$0

Agreed - less backing tapes the better except of course for the Freddie ones and Bo Rhap.Defeats the whole object of calling yourself a live band if you can't hack it live!!!

Recording and performing are two different things altogether. Your fans buy the records but do not see you perfom them in the studio!!!.

We all of us deeply apologise for this god forsaken shit heap of a building...but we will make it rock.

Brian May Wembley Pavilion 11.05.05.
david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2020 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 08, 19:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

im easy i dont mind.maybe rog pips it.

April user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 08, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

Roger. It was not only the singing, it was Paul Rodgers not moving at all during this song (don't go too far away from the tele prompter!) which made the song boring.

Agree. The same at the concert in Moscow. I thought Paul needed more action and motion. They sang Shooting Star, which I liked very much, though heard it for the first time.

THE D@Z user not visiting Queenzone.com
THE D@Z
Bohemian: 242 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 08, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i'll go against the grain here (lol) as a PR fan and say paul,purely because i think roger is more a backing singer and as a front man his vocal is not nearly good enough

(personal opinion btw,so dont hang me,lol)

daz