Forums > Queen - General Discussion > I've been meaning to ask how is there Queen without Freddie Mercury?

forum rss feed
Author

mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Oct 08, 00:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

by MICKEY NOONAN - Thursday, October 16, 2008
Queen + Paul Rodgers

Love them, loathe them or dance naked round your living room on a Friday night to Fat Bottomed Girls, there's no denying that Queen owed their fame to frontman Freddie Mercury.

Now that bassist John Deacon has retired, just half of the original line-up remains and, since 2005, their singer has been former Bad Company frontman Paul Rodgers, resulting in the newish, naffish name of Queen + Paul Rodgers. This current tour features tunes from the trio's recent album, The Cosmos Rocks.

It's decent arena rock, but 17 years on from Mercury's death, is it really Queen? Nope. However you look at the maths, unless Elizabeth Windsor decides to grow a magnificent 'tache and put in a star turn, calling it Queen is pushing it slightly.

Sun, Sheffield Arena, Broughton Lane, Sheffield, 7pm, £39.50 and £49.50. Tel: 0114 256 5656. www.sheffieldarena.co.uk

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
the april lady 42449 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 08, 09:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What's in a name anyway?  Brian and Roger were major contributers to the Queen sound, which is probably why so many Queen fans still want to go see them.  I know that's why I did last week.  The majority of the songs they chose to sing were in fact written by Brian and Roger having looked back, and there was no doubt that they were massive Queen hits.  I miss Freddie as much as the next Queen fan but I would also miss Brian and Roger if they weren't still performing.  There is absolutely no need for them to stop, and if they wish to carry on the Queen name, does it really matter?

Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 715 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 08, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course it matters, The April Lady.  It's everything in terms of importance.  Why aren't Brian, Roger and Paul Rodgers on tour using their respective names?  Because there is no brand value.  So to answer your question, of course it matters because Brian and Roger have made a controversial choice because sales is their focus these days and Queen sells.

Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 08, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

of course its not Queen anymore, a retarded monkey would know that.

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Marcelo_argentina user not visiting Queenzone.com
Marcelo_argentina
Bohemian: 219 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 08, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don´t think they kept the Queen name for selling...as a Queen Fan I am, I would follow the guys no matter what name they want to use..they don´t need to give a name, just play music and I will buy their albums and enjoy their concets..is simple as that....I give a shit about the name, I just want to enjoy music, I am really excited, I love this present moments here on Queenzone...where we are all discusing about shows, new album and all those stuff..I became a Queen fan in late 1991 early 1992 when I was 13 years old...I´ve been waiting for this moment for 16 years, I am going to see Roger and Brian playing here in Argentina in november, you really care about a name?..they are touring around the world, they are expressing themselves again as musicians, they went on studio recording after so many years...we all know this is not Queen, but if you really like Rock you should be proud  of this 60 years old guys...that´s my point..I give a shit about a name...and the same happened to other bands...Freddie Mercury was the best, but he died and still lives in our memory, move on..17 years is a lot of time....

April user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 08, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Absolutely agree with the above! It`s still Brian and Roger.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 08, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm amazed.

Do people get paid.... ACTUALLY paid, to write these reviews?

Positive or negative, I don't think I've read a music review in the past six months that impressed me or had the slightest substance to it.  Fucking hell, this is a fine racket to get into. 

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
QueenMercury46 user not visiting Queenzone.com
QueenMercury46
Royalty: 1097 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 08, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

You're right, only a retarded monkey like you would think that.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Treasure Moment wrote: [/QUOTENAME]The only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms.[/QUOTE]
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 08, 16:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow Mickey Noonan, this is a question that was brought up...IN 2004!

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
Treasure Moment

Posted: 18 Oct 08, 17:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QueenMercury46 wrote:

Treasure Moment wrote:

You're right, only a retarded monkey like you would think that.

no you stupid fuck! its a FACT that there is no Queen without freddie and even a low intelligence creature like you should be able to understand that.

Freddie Mercury is God

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 620 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 08, 18:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here we go again... (cue in that Whitesnake tune)

P-Staker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 218 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 08, 19:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

I'm amazed.

Do people get paid.... ACTUALLY paid, to write these reviews?

Positive or negative, I don't think I've read a music review in the past six months that impressed me or had the slightest substance to it.  Fucking hell, this is a fine racket to get into. 

My thoughts exactly. The only difference between a professional review and an internet rant seems to be how much money you get for it.

If you're an editor, call me.

the april lady 42449 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 08, 19:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The point I was making about whether they continue to use the name Queen or not was that I think everyone that has gone to see them live on this tour or have bought the album would have done so whether they were named Queen or not.  Everyone knows it's not Queen as Queen once was because that would obviously be impossible.  Ideally, I would have liked them to have used a different name but at the end of the day, it is just a name!  Whether they are called Queen or not, they're still fantastic musicians that are worth seeing!

joe90 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 08, 21:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How is their Queen without Freddie Mercury?

The same way there was Fleetwood Mac without Peter Green. Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett or Roger Waters. The Stones without Brian Jones. AC/DC without Bon Scott. Def Leppard without Steve Clark. INXS without Michael Hutchence...etc.

Life goes on. Get over it.

itailu user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 7 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 08, 02:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's no Queen with out Freddie Mercury.

I've heard people say that his voice was the Queen sound, but he was much, much more.

He was the drive and the diversity of Queen's music and much more then any one can give him credit for.

Last week I just had to listen to hear what's all the fuss with this new queen+paul rodgers album.

It's not Queen.

One can only hope that Mr. May and Mr. Taylor will one day release Queen's vault stuff and maybe a dvd of clips that haven't been digitized yet, Innuendo etc...

master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1198 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 08, 02:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now look here, i've worshipped queen since '74 so i 've got a very positive attitude to all things queen, but to use the name in the present set-up, naar i dont think so. To peruse the guinness book of british hit singles in the future and to see entries that dont include input from freddie and john, catalogued as queen!- ooh that really hurts me. Let it go lads, let it go..................

Master Marathon Runner
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 08, 03:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I caught John Deacon making out with my Aunt Diane. [img=/images/smiley/msn/shades_smile.gif][/img] I must say, I wish I could of joined in on the fun!

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Treasure Moment

Posted: 19 Oct 08, 04:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

itailu wrote:

There's no Queen with out Freddie Mercury.

I've heard people say that his voice was the Queen sound, but he was much, much more.

He was the drive and the diversity of Queen's music and much more then any one can give him credit for.

Last week I just had to listen to hear what's all the fuss with this new queen+paul rodgers album.

It's not Queen.

One can only hope that Mr. May and Mr. Taylor will one day release Queen's vault stuff and maybe a dvd of clips that haven't been digitized yet, Innuendo etc...

Exactly!

Freddie Mercury is God

«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» user not visiting Queenzone.com
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤»
Bohemian: 479 posts

Posted: 20 Oct 08, 22:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Totally agree....

Here's my question...if they don't need money then why are they still using the Queen moniker??
Why??? simple...the name Queen=money, money, money!! So if they don't need it as many as you believe..then why haven't they donated all concert proceeds to the Mercury Phoenix Trust or to other charities?
If they had any respect for the rest of the band members...especially Freddie, then they should of started with a clean slate..including a new band title, a new sound and all "new" music!!
There is no Queen without Freddie or John...simple as that!!

¥~Ït’š iñ thë LåÞ øf thè Gódš~¥
Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 501 posts

Posted: 21 Oct 08, 10:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see we're still beating this dead horse.