Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Jazz and Innuendo

forum rss feed
Author

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Oct 08, 05:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why does almost every queen album have weak production?....Jazz could have been one of the best classic rock albums of all time if it sounded better, another example of this horrible production is Innuendo. A great album that sounds dry and thin.   I have no problem with ANATO and SHA,  but most of them sound pretty bad.   I think they were all drunk and stoned when they mixed the Jazz album,   it's a shame because the songs were awsome.

tjbarrett96 user not visiting Queenzone.com
All dead, all dead...
tjbarrett96
Bohemian: 161 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Oct 08, 18:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



mike hunt wrote:

Why does almost every queen album have weak production?....Jazz could have been one of the best classic rock albums of all time if it sounded better, another example of this horrible production is Innuendo. A great album that sounds dry and thin.   I have no problem with ANATO and SHA,  but most of them sound pretty bad.   I think they were all drunk and stoned when they mixed the Jazz album,   it's a shame because the songs were awsome.

Innuendo? Bad production?? JAZZ???
I think they both sound great!
Jazz has a deliberate rough-sounding (for lack of a better phrase) effect to it, and Innuendo is Queen's [second-to-] last attempt to release a compilation of wonderful music. They're both beautifully produced albums.








I have to return some videotapes.
theCro user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1056 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Oct 08, 19:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



mike hunt wrote:

Why does almost every queen album have weak production?....Jazz could have been one of the best classic rock albums of all time if it sounded better, another example of this horrible production is Innuendo. A great album that sounds dry and thin.   I have no problem with ANATO and SHA,  but most of them sound pretty bad.   I think they were all drunk and stoned when they mixed the Jazz album,   it's a shame because the songs were awsome.

did you think about buying new speakers?



Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Oct 08, 19:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On Innuendo, I think I Can't Live With You could of used better production.


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Oct 08, 21:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Production is one thing, mixing is another. A well produced album can be ruined by the mixing.


mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Oct 08, 01:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



theCro wrote:



 



mike hunt wrote:



Why does almost every queen album have weak production?....Jazz could have been one of the best classic rock albums of all time if it sounded better, another example of this horrible production is Innuendo. A great album that sounds dry and thin.   I have no problem with ANATO and SHA,  but most of them sound pretty bad.   I think they were all drunk and stoned when they mixed the Jazz album,   it's a shame because the songs were awsome.


did you think about buying new speakers?




I don't think so.  Many people like the live version of songs from hot space and Jazz because of the production of these albums were not good.  Jazz is grossly underated by queen fans, and the only reason for this is it's thin sound. Listen to the live version of 'let me entertain you' then listen to the studio version. Also,  I think roger's best drum work was on Jazz, and was ruined by it's sound.





liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Oct 08, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jazz sounds horribly thin and empty as does Innuendo, the hitman is so thin and lifeless for such a heavy riff.


Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Oct 08, 10:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



liam wrote:

Jazz sounds horribly thin and empty as does Innuendo, the hitman is so thin and lifeless for such a heavy riff.





exactly,  how about the drums.  The drums sound so weak for such a heavy song.  I love both albums to death,  but these albums need to be remastered.



Daniel vZ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 793 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Oct 08, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The worst thing on Jazz is the sound of the bass (is there any?), drums a close second (especially the base).
I think Jazz sounds way thinner than Innuendo.



"If there's a God or any kind of justice under the sky

If there's a point, if there's a reason to live or die".

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Oct 08, 11:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally I have always loved the production on both of those albums, however they both (in fact most Queen albums) could do with simply being remastered to a higher volume when compared with many of the CD's around today.

When Jazz first came out as an LP it sounded very cool at the time, but it is badly in need of remastering now I think. Time is a funny thing, when it was released I remeber thinking how cool the drum sound was... now it does seem weak, but I still love the sound, FBG's tom roll is just wonderful when turned up full blast.


"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
louvox user not visiting Queenzone.com
Make mine a double
louvox
Bohemian: 385 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Oct 08, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



mike hunt wrote:

Why does almost every queen album have weak production?....Jazz could have been one of the best classic rock albums of all time if it sounded better, another example of this horrible production is Innuendo. A great album that sounds dry and thin.   I have no problem with ANATO and SHA,  but most of them sound pretty bad.   I think they were all drunk and stoned when they mixed the Jazz album,   it's a shame because the songs were awsome.

Jazz is one of their weaker efforts. They bring back Roy Thomas Baker as producer, but his touch is nowhere to be found. Jazz sounds unfocused and contains one of their worst songs (More of that Jazz) the production in my opinion sounds “OK” at best. The track listing looks like no thought at all was put into it.
 Innuendo is a stellar effort (other than the one hiccup “Delilah”) The production is superb. It’s too bad it took such a tragedy to bring this about.








Louis

A soul for sale or rent

www.tightroperocks.com

Daniel vZ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 793 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Oct 08, 11:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



   louvox wrote:


Jazz sounds unfocused and contains one of their worst songs (More of that Jazz).
You say More Of that Jazz, I say Fun It. ;)

 



 



 



 

Innuendo is a stellar effort (other than the one hiccup “Delilah”) The production is superb. It’s too bad it took such a tragedy to bring this about.

Why do so many people don't like Delilah, it's a nice change for all the heavy/emotional lyrics in the other songs.


 



 




"If there's a God or any kind of justice under the sky

If there's a point, if there's a reason to live or die".

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Oct 08, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The best drum sound is on NOTW in my opinion. Especially in songs like Get Down Make Love and It's Late.

Edit: I think the bass sound on Jazz is fantastic, especially in Jealousy. It's so melodic, something only John could deliver. In general, it sounds decent to me.


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Oct 08, 13:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Innuendo isn't one of their better sounding albums.  The drums sound terrible on some tracks, and "The Hitman" sounds like it's coming out of a tin can.



"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Oct 08, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK I thought I'm the only weird person who thinks that Innuendo sounds terrible (with 2 exceptions - Innuendo and TSMGO), but I see I'm not the only one


Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Oct 08, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

why dont you better post at a site for a band with albums produced up to your standards?



:)
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Oct 08, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Adolfo wrote:

why dont you better post at a site for a band with albums produced up to your standards?

Not everyone is a supporter of Stepfordism.

Besides, Queen has done some great productions as well: ANATO, ADATR and Hot Space. That's just my opinion :)











John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Oct 08, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jazz would definitely have its sound improved with a good remastering. Although some leveling to make it sound louder would kinda make it lose some of its tricks - I think I read somewhere Brian or Freddie saying that Mustapha was meant to sound quieter at first then BOOOM. I'm not sure if with today's standards of making everything as loud as possible it would be noticed. A decent loud version of Dead on Time will be great as well.


ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Oct 08, 20:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Delilah a lot! One of the best songs on Innuendo I think. Along with I'm going slightly mad and Don't try so hard...



Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Oct 08, 22:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



ITSM wrote:

I like Delilah a lot! One of the best songs on Innuendo I think. Along with I'm going slightly mad and Don't try so hard...

I think Delilah is a great song too. I however, enjoy the demo more! But I like the finished version too, but the demo had a better intro.








"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"