Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Cosmos Rocks by Queen + Paul Rodgers

forum rss feed
Author

mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Oct 08, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The debut album for Paul Rogers as the lead singer is Queen's first album of new material in more than 10 years.

LABEL: Hollywood
RELEASE DATE: 28 October 2008
DISCS: 1 disc
GENRE(S): Rock

What The Critics Said

All critic scores are converted to a 100-point scale. If a critic does not indicate a score, we assign a score based on the general impression given by the text of the review. .

60
Mojo
Occasionally they stumble, as on the clunky 'Warboys.' But with Rogers imperious, Queen's second coming is vindicated. [Oct 2008, p.100]

40
Uncut
This ill-fitting rebirth, fronted by the defiantly ungay, unIndian and uneccentric Paul Rodgers, can be seen as an attempt to ditch the Mercury-inspired absurdity and bolster Queen’s hard 'rawkin’credentials.
Read Full Review

40
The Guardian
As with a lot of The Cosmos Rocks, you listen to Warboys boggling that Queen--famously intelligent men--didn't at any point notice that the lyrics were stupid, trite, a bit offensive and bound to have an undermining effect on whatever musical efforts they put behind it.
Read Full Review

40
All Music Guide
Certainly, it's not the embarrassment of the live album, but it has its own internal logic that keeps it humming along, and that's good enough for a listen and to get the band out on tour again, even it's not good enough for a second spin.
Read Full Review

20
Observer Music Monthly
What an astronomically bad parallel universe. Queen's star is dead.
Read Full Review

20
Hot Press
Freddie-less queen fail to recall old glories.
Read Full Review

20
Blender
This mismatched combo brings out the best in each other only on the refreshingly lightweight 'Call Me.' [Nov 2008, p.76]
Read Full Review

To read the Full reviews click on the link....

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/queenpluspaulrodgers/cosmosrocks#critics


R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8670 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Oct 08, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some of em were even too nice! XD



Killed by drones.
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6337 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Oct 08, 23:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anywhere btween 40 and 60 seems fair to me ... IMHO


Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!



Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html



B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
Hitman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2216 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 08, 05:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i wonder what this reviewers put on their car stereo while driving...
i bet 50 cent




Anything too stupid to be said... is sung.
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 08, 07:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Hitman wrote:

i wonder what this reviewers put on their car stereo while driving...
i bet 50 cent



Treasure Moment


mworks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 08, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow! They hated it?! Really?! What a shocker! I didn't see that coming. They never liked Queen. They never will. Love live Queen...


msl
mahlers.com user not visiting Queenzone.com
Peace NetBud
mahlers.com
Bohemian: 279 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Nov 08, 18:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Honestly, what the Fuguck do they know?
This CD has not left my alarm clock since I got it in early October.
-W. K. Mahler, Mahlers.Com



W. K. Mahler

http://www.mahlers.com

Blog, photos, original music & more.

Yahoo Instant Messenger: mahlerscom



"Please remember you are absolutaly unique just like everyone else!"
Gr8 King Rat user not visiting Queenzone.com
go Cubs go!
Gr8 King Rat
Bohemian: 423 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Nov 08, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

if these songs were put out by some other band, would you still think they were very good?? You know damn well you wouldn't...
As I stated in another thread..I have grown to hate this record. Some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard...along with songs that basically go no where. Shit, Weird Al has written deeper, more meaningful songs than this...
What ever happened to Queen albums that "take you on a journey"?

Brian is always so pissed off, bitching about this and that on his website. So why not show some of that anger in his songs?? Fuckin ROCK OUT and show that emotion!
And I don't want to hear about any bullshit, that I'm not a true fan. Listen, just because the name Queen appears on it doesn't mean i have to like it. 


new one user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 201 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Nov 08, 05:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Gr8 King Rat wrote:

if these songs were put out by some other band, would you still think they were very good?? You know damn well you wouldn't...
As I stated in another thread..I have grown to hate this record. Some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard...along with songs that basically go no where. Shit, Weird Al has written deeper, more meaningful songs than this...
What ever happened to Queen albums that "take you on a journey"?





Brian is always so pissed off, bitching about this and that on his website. So why not show some of that anger in his songs?? Fuckin ROCK OUT and show that emotion!And I don't want to hear about any bullshit, that I'm not a true fan. Listen, just because the name Queen appears on it doesn't mean i have to like it. 



I'm sure you are a true fan,not liking the new album doesn't change that at all. I'm a true fan and have been for years and I think Hot Space is shit and The Works isn't great, that doesn't make me not a true fan either. On the subject of TCR I happen to really like it and think its certainly better than the 2 albums I mentioned earlier.

This particular album was always going to struggle with the critics no matter how good it was. It could have been a classis like ANATO and still would have been slated by the critics because sadly Brian and Roger do not have the God like powers to bring a certain FM back from the dead. I'm afraid people in general still expected to hear the Freddie version of Queen even after he'd been dead for the best part of 2 decades and don't "get" this new incarnation if you like. I'm not saying that is the case with GR8 KING RAT just people who are not big fans ie the press ec who always hated queen until Freddie died. Anyway what difference does someone alses opinion matter? Either you like it or you don't. I do, and a critics opinion would never sway me as to weather I purchased a product or not. Its the same with films, just because Johnaton Ross does or does not like something doesn'e mean I will feel the same.











Dutch Aad user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Nov 08, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This album ain't Queen, it's Queen + Paul Rodgers. I find it very succesfully because of the fact that they didn't try to make a 'Freddie album'. What I really do appreciate is the fact that you can find back on the album both influences, from Queen as well as Paul Rodgers.
The album rocks and has a high quality, vocal wise and instrumentally. A creative album again!
I'm a Queen fan since 16 years and I will stay it for a lifetime.
Unfortunately no Freddie anymore, but still very good music.
By the way, Antwerp and Rotterdam were both fantastic, gentlemen.
Best regards from Holland

April user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Nov 08, 14:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Dutch Aad wrote:

This album ain't Queen, it's Queen + Paul Rodgers. I find it very succesfully because of the fact that they didn't try to make a 'Freddie album'. What I really do appreciate is the fact that you can find back on the album both influences, from Queen as well as Paul Rodgers.
The album rocks and has a high quality, vocal wise and instrumentally. A creative album again!
I'm a Queen fan since 16 years and I will stay it for a lifetime.
Unfortunately no Freddie anymore, but still very good music.
By the way, Antwerp and Rotterdam were both fantastic, gentlemen.
Best regards from Holland

And how old are you now? 17? And another remark: you should have said, Ladies and gentlemen.
And I think it`s good for Queen to have taken a defiantly ungay frontman or everybody would have said they were doomed to that line...



The Funster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 08:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, Here it goes. I loved Freddie but, In the US we would get beat up for putting a Queen CD in. I;m sorry but the world was not quite ready for Freddie. I think he was the best front man ever but, I just couldn;t get past the Gay thing. It was always a dream to see them in a straight format and now we have it. I think the new CD is fantastic and a dream come true. It is not perfect and I think they got a little mellow in parts but there is nothing Gay about it. And that is enough for me. I also think Brian should have put in more guitar solos and licks but I will take for what it is... Not Gay! Not trying to offend anyone but it is about time..to each his own and all that goes with it. As much as I am forced to accept what others beleive should it not be the same for me? Remember Queens first LP? It was not reviewed very well either. I pay NO attention to critics anyway... what have they ever accomplished?? NOTHING!


True blue Q fan for over 28 yrs.
lalaalalaa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 841 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



The Funster wrote:

Ok, Here it goes. I loved Freddie but, In the US we would get beat up for putting a Queen CD in. I;m sorry but the world was not quite ready for Freddie. I think he was the best front man ever but, I just couldn;t get past the Gay thing. It was always a dream to see them in a straight format and now we have it. I think the new CD is fantastic and a dream come true. It is not perfect and I think they got a little mellow in parts but there is nothing Gay about it. And that is enough for me. I also think Brian should have put in more guitar solos and licks but I will take for what it is... Not Gay! Not trying to offend anyone but it is about time..to each his own and all that goes with it. As much as I am forced to accept what others beleive should it not be the same for me? Remember Queens first LP? It was not reviewed very well either. I pay NO attention to critics anyway... what have they ever accomplished?? NOTHING!




So what if he was gay (technically he was bi).  Being Bisexual doesn't take away the talent that he had.  I bet if nobody found out about Freddie being bi then people wouldn't judge Queen as much.  Freddie wouldn't become any more talented being straight over bi. 




doxonrox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 182 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 20:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



April wrote:







Dutch Aad wrote:



This album ain't Queen, it's Queen + Paul Rodgers. I find it very succesfully because of the fact that they didn't try to make a 'Freddie album'. What I really do appreciate is the fact that you can find back on the album both influences, from Queen as well as Paul Rodgers.
The album rocks and has a high quality, vocal wise and instrumentally. A creative album again!
I'm a Queen fan since 16 years and I will stay it for a lifetime.
Unfortunately no Freddie anymore, but still very good music.
By the way, Antwerp and Rotterdam were both fantastic, gentlemen.
Best regards from Holland


And how old are you now? 17? And another remark: you should have said, Ladies and gentlemen.
And I think it`s good for Queen to have taken a defiantly ungay frontman or everybody would have said they were doomed to that line...


How old are you now? 80? He didn't say anything about gay, he just stated an opinion in a language that is probably not his first. But you go on and continue being a "defiantly ungay" bitch. And as you say - another remark: if the band was trying to be so "defiantly ungay", don't you think that a name that didn't include Queen would have been a better choice, sunshine?







August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Nov 08, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



mickyparise wrote:



All critic scores are converted to a 100-point scale.



One has to ask why, since you're only using 20, 40, 60...