Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Why the Mystery on Who Wrote What on TCR?

forum rss feed
Author

doxonrox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 182 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Oct 08, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay my friends overseas - Here in the US I just picked up the TCR Collectors Edition (with the great vinyl additions) and I checked the songwriting credits. It's pretty obvious that the first person listed in the credits is the person that originally wrote the song. Is there any doubt on this? Why the big discussion? Seriously, I would love to know where the confusion is here.


Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Oct 08, 23:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The UK copies only credited all songs to "Queen + Paul Rodgers".


TheWrist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 161 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Oct 08, 23:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have the "exclusive tour edition" Cd and it doesn't have song credits. It only says at page 2: "Produced and perfomed by Brian May, Paul Rodgers and Roger Taylor" and "all tracks written by Queen + Paul Rodgers"

doxonrox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 182 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 08, 00:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Lester Burnham wrote:

The UK copies only credited all songs to "Queen + Paul Rodgers".

How strange. Well, here's the first person credited on the US release, which confirms alot of the conjecture except the first tune:

1. Cosmos Rockin (Taylor)
2. Time to Shine (Rodgers)
3. Still Burnin (May)
4. Small (Taylor)
5. Warboys (Rodgers)
6. We Believe (May)
7. Call Me (Rodgers)
8. Voodoo (Rodgers)
9. Some Things That Glitter (May)
10. C-lebrity (Taylor)
11. Through the Night (Rodgers)
12. Say It's Not True (Taylor)
13. Surf's Up...School's Out (Taylor)
14. Small Reprise (Taylor)

It make sense, although I always thought that Cosmos Rockin' was Brian. Hope this helps from this side of the pond!







Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 08, 05:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



doxonrox wrote:



 



Lester Burnham wrote:



The UK copies only credited all songs to "Queen + Paul Rodgers".


How strange. Well, here's the first person credited on the US release, which confirms alot of the conjecture except the first tune:

1. Cosmos Rockin (Taylor)
2. Time to Shine (Rodgers)
3. Still Burnin (May)
4. Small (Taylor)
5. Warboys (Rodgers)
6. We Believe (May)
7. Call Me (Rodgers)
8. Voodoo (Rodgers)
9. Some Things That Glitter (May)
10. C-lebrity (Taylor)
11. Through the Night (Rodgers)
12. Say It's Not True (Taylor)
13. Surf's Up...School's Out (Taylor)
14. Small Reprise (Taylor)

It make sense, although I always thought that Cosmos Rockin' was Brian. Hope this helps from this side of the pond!







If that is accurate it makes Brian's contribution look distinctly average. 'Still Burnin' is poor: 'We Believe' is average; but 'Some Things That Glitter' may be the best track on the album. It's definitely the one that sounds most Queen-like ('Time To Shine' being the other stand out). It also supports those who think this is more like a solo project than a genuine Queen product. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course. Those same critics who arent buying this because "it's not Queen"are probably the same people who went to any lengths to get hold of collaborations and solo efforts pre-Q+PR, but are now totally hung up on a name.







"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Kind of Magician user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 08, 06:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The biggest suprise for me is that Roger wrote Small, I always thought it was a Paul song...


Cwazy little thing user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 08, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that all makes sense to be honest.
Im pretty sure someone a while back called Roger as the Cosmos Rockin' writer..... but I would say this - just because one of them introduced the lyrics and the melody doesnt mean they are responsible for the whole song - the reason the tracks are all credited to all three is because beyond the original idea they all worked on them to bring them up to scratch, and who knows how much work needed doing to achieve this.

For example the C-Lebrity riff is all Brian - he added that to whatever Roger originally brought in, and you can definately hear the contributions that Bri and Rog made to Warboys vs the Paul Rodgers original version.


Adventure Seeker on an empty street...

www.myspace.com/ampfirerock
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 08, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Holly2003 wrote:

Those same critics who arent buying this because "it's not Queen"are probably the same people who went to any lengths to get hold of collaborations and solo efforts pre-Q+PR, but are now totally hung up on a name.


Those said people that most likely collected those pre-Q+PR collaborations also most likely have the Rock Aid Armenia charity remake of "Smoke On The Water", which featured three great musicians now collectively known as "Queen + Paul Rodgers". I will bet you that collaboration is still sitting on their shelves as we speak.

Oh, the irony...


inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 08, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PS. I was surprised as heck when I saw the new track credits earlier, myself. I wasn't expecting that o.O


Jeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 08, 08:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Cwazy little thing wrote:

I think that all makes sense to be honest.
Im pretty sure someone a while back called Roger as the Cosmos Rockin' writer..... but I would say this - just because one of them introduced the lyrics and the melody doesnt mean they are responsible for the whole song - the reason the tracks are all credited to all three is because beyond the original idea they all worked on them to bring them up to scratch, and who knows how much work needed doing to achieve this.

For example the C-Lebrity riff is all Brian - he added that to whatever Roger originally brought in, and you can definately hear the contributions that Bri and Rog made to Warboys vs the Paul Rodgers original version.

Right.
Besides, with shared credits it's always the case that the person responsible for the MUSIC comes first, followed by the writer of the lyricks.

A lot of this speculation about CR is based on analyses of lyricks. But it is very possible that Roger came up with some chords (and thus gets mentioned first in the credits) and then Brian added his cheesy, 'place to hide' and 'comos'-stuff lyricks...








Roger AAAAAHHHH!
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 08, 09:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger said on one of the radio interviews that Cosmos Rockin' was his, but that Brian made a significant impact on the music, and probably came up with the title, too. (Remember that the song was originally called 'Whole House Rocking'.)



Mark Lawson: And so you've taken this ..... on credits, so you're not going to tell me which ones you initialted on this album?



Roger: Well I will, if you like. (laughing) Let me think, well I suppose "The Cosmos Rocks".



ML: Ah now you see I assumed that was Brian becaues he's a keen astrologist, isn't he, so...?



RT: Yeah.



ML: Sorry I got the wrong..... a keen astronomer, sorry.



RT: I guess you would think that, but I mean Brian's input was then vital really, you know, to drive it with the guitar thing. Then there's a track called "C-lebrity".




drwinston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 08, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Cwazy little thing wrote:



For example the C-Lebrity riff is all Brian



Jimmy Page might have a different opinion. ;)





April user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 08, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Lester Burnham wrote:

The UK copies only credited all songs to "Queen + Paul Rodgers".

In Russia as well, all the songs are credited like that. I wonder why they made such a difference in crediting the songs in Europe and in the USA?





bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Oct 08, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wasn't aware there was a mystery.  I reckon the author pretty much leaps out and rubs his balls on your chin with every listen. 

Obligation ..... reconciliation.... damn that's a good rhyme.



"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very interesting... I have to say I am most surprised by Small... really thought it was either Paul or Brian
Cosmos was confirmed as Roger by Brian in an interview recently, he said that it was originally called The Whole World Rocking.


"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@ Holly2003

I completely agree with you about Glitter.  Wow.  What a song.  If Queen purists are upset about the release of this album, and haven't listened to this song, then they're missing out.  This is the dedication to Freddie, not the liner notes.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some Things That Glitter is definitely my favorite.

akindofmagic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 769 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Nov 08, 00:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, since the credits are showed in order of input to the songs it could be useful to know who is the 2nd main writer of each song. i Obviously bet that Brian is the 2nd person credited on C-Lebrity and Cosmos Rockin', riff wise. What i ask is to someone put the whole writing credit info here.


Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Nov 08, 06:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That would mean, then, that Roger wrote twice as many songs as Brian.



John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Nov 08, 06:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Micrówave wrote:

@ Holly2003

I completely agree with you about Glitter.  Wow.  What a song.  If Queen purists are upset about the release of this album, and haven't listened to this song, then they're missing out.  This is the dedication to Freddie, not the liner notes.

I reckon with Deacy bass it'd be a real gem.




"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller