forum rss feed
Author

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 04:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

will this election ever end?
as the answer appears to be 'no' i thought i'd ask our colonial cousins how they think it will conclude...

will that nice young Barry O'Bama win? or will it be the old boy with the lipstick wearing pet rotweiller ? [thats a dry joke btw for all our republican friends]

also,how does the rest of the world feel about this election? have you had enough of turning on your tv or radio in a far distant land and finding that the only thing being spoking about is an election 1000's of miles away?
some nice political views here would be welcome instead of just bear baiting.

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 05:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally the only thing that's annoying me is constantly being told (by people from the US) that we aren't allowed an opinion on the outcome. 

At first glance I'd say I really prefer that Obama wins.  Of course, here on the other end of the world (and having the cynical view of politicians that I have) it could all be a clever ruse and he might be the worst thing to ever happen to the USA. 

I can't imagine anyone with much sense voting McCain *based on what I've heard him say*.  If I've missed something (again, from being in Australia where the coverage isn't quite 24/7...) then someone can set me straight.   From the debate that I watched, from the incoherent ramblings of Palin, I wouldn't vote for them if I had a gun to my head - and thankfully, I don't have to!  Ha-ha.

When all is said and done, even if Obama were some kind of modern day superhero that some bizarre folks make him out to be, it's not like he'd be able to 'change' all that much.  Too many people are too invested in the way things work these days. 
That being the case, I hope he wins anyway; just to see a bunch of hicks crying.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Personally the only thing that's annoying me is constantly being told (by people from the US) that we aren't allowed an opinion on the outcome.  

Personally, I don't think we consider the opinions of others enough.

Yes, it's 'our' country, but we've alienated much of the world and, without friends, what's the point and probability?

I see McCain as an angry man with unpredictable responses. I see Palin as a hockey-moron, an idiot with growing power. We've already seen the 'idiot with power' scenario and it didn't work well for us or the rest of the world.

I see Obama as a charmer. I don't know how sincere he is, but his speeches cover all the topics that concern or interest me, and his way of speaking makes me want to listen. We need that in a president if we're going to repair relationships around the world. And I wonder if race won't be the difference in this after all. Won't a man who has overcome the adversities of African Americans be looked at with hope and admiration?

I see Biden as a trustworthy - if not sometimes foot-in-mouth - man with experience. If heaven forbid, something should happen to Obama (which is a scenario that terrifies me), I wouldn't mind Biden stepping up from VP to President. 

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

An Obama presidency would be particularly good for American foreign affairs, as McCain a) is as undiplomatic as a berserker b) is obsessed with old enmities (Russia is by definition wrong, even if Georgia attacks them; Terrorists (defined as all those who are Asian and are not subservient to the US) should be killed, not negotiated with; the Vietnam war could've been won, and I wouldn't put it past him to try and prove it). As for his plans, I think Obama has the more effective way of dealing with current issues like healthcare and education. However, the only way the democrats will be able to work them all to a useful extent is if they score a landslide victory in House and Senate as well as winning the presidency, because the republicans would spend at least the first year blocking everything the democrats tried out of sheer spite.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

bobo the chimp

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 08:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'At least', being the operative words in that last sentence there.  I could see that happening; it happens here too.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll be happy when the election is over, so I will stop getting ridiculous anti-Obama email forwards from my Jesus freak aunt.  Less than a week to go...YES!

Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Any hope McCain had of getting my vote went away when he chose Palin as his running mate. I am a very middle of the road person and have traditionally voted Republican but the issues have changed now, what is important has changed, I'm no longer voting on what is most important to "me" anymore. I am basing my choice more on future events and how we have gotten ourselves in the situation we are in now.

If the polls are any indication of who will win and if people don't change their minds when they are in the booth then Obama will win. He's very far ahead. Maybe change will come. I do hope so. I would rather Obama be VP and Biden be President though.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

JoxerTheDeityPirate

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ re Obama as VP: for what reason would you have him as a VP instead of President?

bobo the chimp

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't really have any friends in the US but my sister has a dozen or more, and what worries me is that most people base their votes for McCain on fear.  The scare mongering I'm hearing about; I can only hope some of it's ficticious!

And as for the racism ...  I was expecting it, but nothing like the amount that's going on.  We can't be naive; if a black guy goes for President you're going to get wisecracks from someone.  I was watching people doing early voting on the telly and they were wishing death on Obama.  *death*!?!??!
What country is this election taking place in, again?

Nobody has to wish death on Palin.  She's brain-dead already......

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the worst thing about these elections, and it's been growing lately, is the Rock The Vote campaign and all that other BS.  This is NOT the most important election ever, it's just the latest.  Every four years its the Most Important Election, and then some guy with green hair and a lip ring puts his guitar down for a minute and tries to tell me the way things are and why my vote counts.  Shut up and play your frickin guitar, ya boob.  Alec Baldwin (or insert other celeb) telling me that ______ is going to get the economy back and things will be better.  Oh yeah, they're hurting, even after their six-figure "appearance fee" check.

I think I'm a little more in touch with reality than a 20 year drop-out who wrote a hit song or someone who doesn't even know the price of a gallon of milk.

JoxerTheDeityPirate

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ a GALLON of milk? :-p
i know you guys do it bigger in Texas but come on you can get milk in 'pints' ;-]

anyway,as far as the celeb thing goes i agree with you,when i watch my guilty pleasure of WWE and see Mr Kennedy and JBL lecturing the world on politics then i know its time to switch channels

Erin

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JoxerTheDeityPirate wrote:

^ a GALLON of milk? :-p
i know you guys do it bigger in Texas but come on you can get milk in 'pints' ;-]

What's so strange about buying a gallon of milk?  I guess you Brits couldn't fit a whole gallon in your tiny refrigerators. [img=/images/smiley/msn/wink_smile.gif][/img]

Ms. Rebel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ms. Rebel
Deity: 3428 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK. ;D

I'm sick of all my kicks.
bobo the chimp

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

then some guy with green hair and a lip ring puts his guitar down for a minute and tries to tell me the way things are and why my vote counts.  

You reckon Bono might go for a US citizenship just so he can get his self-righteous mug on the telly again?

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

I'll be happy when the election is over, so I will stop getting ridiculous anti-Obama email forwards from my Jesus freak aunt.  Less than a week to go...YES!

What's sad about the Jesus freaks is that they are the first ones to defend Bush for starting a war based on lies and false information, which by now has taken a toll on hundreds of thousands of lives lost.

I wonder if for once they consider those Bible passages where Jesus speaks about "loving our enemies" and "turning the other cheek"?
I have nothing against people of faith, but it seriously bothers me the level of hypocrisy of those who claim to be morally and ethically correct.

If I was in your place Erin, I'd mark my aunt's e-mails as spam.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JoxerTheDeityPirate wrote:

^ re Obama as VP: for what reason would you have him as a VP instead of President?

Experience.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did anybody see Obama on the Daily Show last night? The best part was this:

Jon Stewart: Are you concerned in some respects, you know, and I don't even know how to bring this up. Obviously your mother is from Kansas. She's a white woman. Your father, African. Are you concerned that you may go into the voting booth and....

Barack Obama: I won't know what to do.

Jon Stewart: Your white half will all of a sudden decide, "I can't do this."

Barack Obama: That's a problem.

Jon Stewart: What is it?

Barack Obama: I said it's a problem.

Erin

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

Did anybody see Obama on the Daily Show last night? The best part was this:

Jon Stewart: Are you concerned in some respects, you know, and I don't even know how to bring this up. Obviously your mother is from Kansas. She's a white woman. Your father, African. Are you concerned that you may go into the voting booth and....

Barack Obama: I won't know what to do.

Jon Stewart: Your white half will all of a sudden decide, "I can't do this."

Barack Obama: That's a problem.

Jon Stewart: What is it?

Barack Obama: I said it's a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-chGhy5ODRw  @ 1:30

Lady Nyx user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1172 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 17:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

I think the worst thing about these elections, and it's been growing lately, is the Rock The Vote campaign and all that other BS.  This is NOT the most important election ever, it's just the latest.  Every four years its the Most Important Election, and then some guy with green hair and a lip ring puts his guitar down for a minute and tries to tell me the way things are and why my vote counts.  Shut up and play your frickin guitar, ya boob.  Alec Baldwin (or insert other celeb) telling me that ______ is going to get the economy back and things will be better.  Oh yeah, they're hurting, even after their six-figure "appearance fee" check.

I think I'm a little more in touch with reality than a 20 year drop-out who wrote a hit song or someone who doesn't even know the price of a gallon of milk.

THANK YOU. glad im not the only one. in fact, it makes me not to want to vote more.

those piss me off so much. guilt-tripping people to vote is no better than terrosism on its own!!!!

or something like that XD

"why pay the visit when the visit is free?"
Lady Nyx user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1172 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 08, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

An Obama presidency would be particularly good for American foreign affairs, as McCain a) is as undiplomatic as a berserker b) is obsessed with old enmities (Russia is by definition wrong, even if Georgia attacks them; Terrorists (defined as all those who are Asian and are not subservient to the US) should be killed, not negotiated with; the Vietnam war could've been won, and I wouldn't put it past him to try and prove it). As for his plans, I think Obama has the more effective way of dealing with current issues like healthcare and education. However, the only way the democrats will be able to work them all to a useful extent is if they score a landslide victory in House and Senate as well as winning the presidency, because the republicans would spend at least the first year blocking everything the democrats tried out of sheer spite.

and about the asian thing....if i understood you right, theres some aprehension in bringing yet another person who wants to use their power on an old grudge that doesnt matter anymore?

"why pay the visit when the visit is free?"