add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bout what I expected, really...:-I

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FYI....It does mean that it charted better than Made in Heaven.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

Oh, you shouldn't have said that. Officially, shit has hit the fan. This thread is doomed :).

Well, recently a lot of people was talking about different charts on every country and explaining how Queen did well on this particular chart and other questioning how valid was it or saying "who cares, classic rock bands don't have hits anymore", etc. I had almost forgot about Billboard.

This is it. It IS Billboard and it is the real deal.

#47, well, not impressive but it is almost a tiny splash over there. Someone else cared and not just hardcore fans, perhaps?

PieterMC

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 10:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

People need to bear in mind that this chart position is fairly consistent with just about any Queen release in the United States over the last 10 - 15 years.

I just had to mention MIH because I know some people will be all over this like white on rice. I honestly believe that even a new album with Freddie would not have charted any higher than this.

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 11:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, that is a good point, Pieter.  The only time they've charted higher in the last 15 years were Classic Queen and Greatest Hits.  I was hoping for a top 100, and this is better than that.

DJ's the man we love the most
AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OBVIOUSLY not touring the U.S., not having a short promotional film (music video), or not promoting the studio l.p. had ANYTHING to do with it at all.      You all need to realise that the studio l.p. would have done MUCH better if they would have put in...what do they call it?    Oh yes.    Effort.     It has nothing to do with ANYTHING other than that.    I'll be forever damned that a great l.p. by Queen or WHOEVER cannot do well if it is promoted right.     No such thing happened here in the U.S. of A.    And that's a REAL shame.    Perhaps another black eye on Queen untold of since their reputation was destroyed even farther with the death of their lead singer Freddie Mercury and the hows and whys of that.

Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, well that's honestly a LOT better than I had expected, breaking into the top 50 with virtually zero promotion. I can only imagine how much better it would have done had they done something to get the word out to the mainstream.

PieterMC

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

#33 in Canada

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

Oh, no you dint!!!!

PieterMC

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

PieterMC wrote:

Oh, no you dint!!!!

I just checked, and I did.

Charted 11 places higher than Made in Heaven.

Seriously if they actually had some print ads, tv ads and actually some promotion I believe TCR would have hit the top 30.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Firstly, how high it gets in the charts usually means nothing to me as it doesn't change the quality of the music. When I was more of a Stepford back in the early days I paid more attention to this stuff but not much any more.

However, it probably matters to the band, and the popularity or otherwise of TCR will probably affect their decision to carry on as they are, i.e. to continue as Q+PR, or pack it in after the current tour is over. There's enough in TCR to keep me interested, even if it isn't a great release. I'd like to see aother album from them. So, in my own long-winded way, I guess I'm saying I'm glad that the record has done better in the US than I expected (I didn't think it would chart at all!)

ps Pieter, good point about MIH and other releases.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
PieterMC

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just found this:

http://www.fmqbproductions.com/epks/2008/queen/

Josh Henson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 693 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First time I've seen that.  I agree, there was no promotion over here (USA) for this, or past Queen releases of the last 15+ years.

I'm just getting used to my new exposure

Come into my enclosure

And meet my melancholy blues
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 21:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

#33 in Canada

Awesome, eh!!! :-D

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 23:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just thought I would clarify that "The Cosmos Rocks" is a GREAT studio l.p.!!!    I'm sick of hearing stupid things about it!    Of course they won't "pack it in"!    There are more great studio l.p.s to come!    The whole point was to keep this all going.    Obviously they are going to have to start promoting these releases, doing some short promotional films (music videos), and touring the U.S. as well.

NoOneButMe user not visiting Queenzone.com
NoOneButMe
Bohemian: 245 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 08, 23:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Cosmos Rocks !!!

#1 in my personal chart... by the hour.

Saludos.

Only the good die young !!!
GT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 799 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 08, 02:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Couldn't agree more NoOneButMe. It's my personal favourite and has been since it's release. I can't believe how good this album is. The musicianship, writing, vocals, arrangement.....certainly better than I had hoped for, and I had high hopes.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 08, 03:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TCR entered the German charts at No 4. Now after 6 or 7 weeks it's No. 43 (last week 34). Made In Heaven was No 1 for 10 weeks and stayed in the charts forever. It beat The Beatles Anthology 1 ("chart war of the dead") which was released in the same week by far.

I do not want any google ads here.

GT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 799 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 08, 03:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here in the UK it entered the album chart at number 5 and is now out of the top 100. The reason for this is the lack of promotion that was made for this release, which would of guaranteed it's staying power. The album should of been released a couple of months before the tour so the band could then promote properly with live interviews, TV appearances and above all a music video for C-Lebrity. Without any publicity then your average person won't know you have a new album out. It's not as if the regular tabloids/newspapers are going to mention it as they only concentrate on the younger pop stars that are 'in' at the moment.

At the time of Made In Heaven being released in 1995, the band had already had a hit single and anticipation was very high for this album, not just from fans, but by everyone who liked and bought music. Freddie was still very much in the public eye, even though he had been dead for four years. There was also a lot of publicity for the album which was the major factor in it's success.

Shame the same attention wasn't given to the cosmos rocks, it would of been a different story.