Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Rolling Stone feature on Queen (that's positive!)

forum rss feed
Author

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Nov 08, 10:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought they didn't like 'em...

Thirteen years after their last album, and 17 years after the death of incomparable frontman Freddie Mercury, Queen are looking, once again, like champions of the world. With a new singer — Paul Rodgers, formerly of Bad Company and Free — a new album and a monumental tour covering 20 countries in 11 weeks, the band with the bestselling album in the history of the U.K. is making a dramatic return to the spotlight.


http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/24012599/queen_reign_supreme_once_again?utm_source=weekly-newsletter&utm_medium=email


Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Nov 08, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is no "they." Individual reviews and articles are written by individual writers, not the magazine as a whole.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Nov 08, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



So then who pays THEM?



If you write for a magazine, like it or not, you represent them.  That's why they hired you. 



So there is a THEM after all.



The only magazine columnust that I'd ever consider paying per article is Rick Reilly.  He's no longer writing for SI, which is exactly why I let my subscription expire.



 



April user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Nov 08, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow! Microwave, thank you very much! Rolling Stone has at long last said something good about Queen! And wow!!! There are 2255 Queen fans online now!!! Queen Power!!!

Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 11:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Make that 2520!


Chom own mudder fukker.
Markman38 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 295 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

3380 right now :-)

Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 16:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Micrówave wrote:



 



So then who pays THEM?



 



If you write for a magazine, like it or not, you represent them.  That's why they hired you. 



 



So there is a THEM after all.



 



The only magazine columnust that I'd ever consider paying per article is Rick Reilly.  He's no longer writing for SI, which is exactly why I let my subscription expire.



 



 



 



Yes there are people who pay them, that much is obvious but they get paid for their unique opinions. It's not a "Ok, write this word-for-word because we MUST destroy Queen."






Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 17:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not sure what you're pissing at, Michael, but ok.

So you read Alan Light magazine... or whatever.

I'll stick to reading regular magazines WHO employ people to (1) write the articles, (2) edit, (3) mail out subscriptions, (4) take phone orders, (5) run the presses, (6) replace the staples in the binding machine, etc., etc., etc.

And then when I see the stapler replacer out on the street, I'll thank him for the wonderful article on Q+PR.  And then he can explain that he just stapled the magazine together, and we'll go out looking for you to clear up symantics.



Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Nov 08, 00:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Micrówave wrote:

Not sure what you're pissing at, Michael, but ok.

So you read Alan Light magazine... or whatever.

I'll stick to reading regular magazines WHO employ people to (1) write the articles, (2) edit, (3) mail out subscriptions, (4) take phone orders, (5) run the presses, (6) replace the staples in the binding machine, etc., etc., etc.

And then when I see the stapler replacer out on the street, I'll thank him for the wonderful article on Q+PR.  And then he can explain that he just stapled the magazine together, and we'll go out looking for you to clear up symantics.



I....oh fuck it. This is a waste of time. Enjoy the anti-Queen conspiracy.






Charlie Brown user not visiting Queenzone.com
Charlie Brown
Bohemian: 462 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Nov 08, 01:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ Hello Michael, Rolling Stone magazine has a editorial staff  just like every other magazine and editorial staffs tend to have a certain viewpoint and the viewpoint of  Rolling Stones staff has tended to be very negative towards Queen not just in terms of their music but of them as people. If memory serves the review of Jazz was so insulting that it prompted Roger to write a letter on the nearest available piece of paper, which happened to be an air sickness bag.

Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Nov 08, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Charlie Brown wrote:

^ Hello Michael, Rolling Stone magazine has a editorial staff  just like every other magazine and editorial staffs tend to have a certain viewpoint and the viewpoint of  Rolling Stones staff has tended to be very negative towards Queen not just in terms of their music but of them as people. If memory serves the review of Jazz was so insulting that it prompted Roger to write a letter on the nearest available piece of paper, which happened to be an air sickness bag.

It's Rolling Stone's intent to obliterate Queen. Heck I remember the jollies they had when Freddie died, I believe the headline went "We're glad the fag's dead!" or something to that effect.

Newspapers have editorial staffs as well and for example will often support certain political viewpoints BUT that's kept seperate from the actual articles and reserved only for those "from the editor" pieces. If that wasn't the case, they would lose any shred of journalistic credibility.

The facts are that critics, in general, have never liked Queen's music, it does not however mean that there was some sort of ridiculous back room shadiness working towards discrediting Queen's music and derailing their career. To attribute a handful of reviews over the past few decades to an overall attack on Queen by an entire magazine as a whole is leaning into JFK conspiracy lunacy.






Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 719 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Nov 08, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Michael, however, there has been no balance historically in RS's attempts to review Queen's music or performances.  I recall one item in the 80s after Queen played Sun City, and the lead was "God works in mysterious ways", and the following line was about he must considering how Queen had a record contract.  I don't think the editor of RS would tell his staff to bash Queen, but even at the time, Queen was a monsrous live act which had some of the greatest songs of the rock era.  That's not even close to balance.  RS likes obvious music like Springsteen and Dylan, American roots stuff.  In there most recent "we're still trying to be relevant" poll, they had Bob Dylan as the 7th gretest singer of the rock era.  No mention of a certain Freddie Mercury.  If you believe in your heart that Bob Dylan is a better singer in any sense than Fredddie Mercury, you're biased or unfit to be working in the music industry as you have little knowledge of the thing called music.

Charlie Brown user not visiting Queenzone.com
Charlie Brown
Bohemian: 462 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Nov 08, 00:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote































Michael Allred wrote:



























































































Charlie Brown wrote:































^ Hello Michael, Rolling Stone magazine has a editorial staff  just like every other magazine and editorial staffs tend to have a certain viewpoint and the viewpoint of  Rolling Stones staff has tended to be very negative towards Queen not just in terms of their music but of them as people. If memory serves the review of Jazz was so insulting that it prompted Roger to write a letter on the nearest available piece of paper, which happened to be an air sickness bag.






























It's Rolling Stone's intent to obliterate Queen. Heck I remember the jollies they had when Freddie died, I believe the headline went "We're glad the fag's dead!" or something to that effect.





























Newspapers have editorial staffs as well and for example will often support certain political viewpoints BUT that's kept seperate from the actual articles and reserved only for those "from the editor" pieces. If that wasn't the case, they would lose any shred of journalistic credibility.















The facts are that critics, in general, have never liked Queen's music, it does not however mean that there was some sort of ridiculous back room shadiness working towards discrediting Queen's music and derailing their career. To attribute a handful of reviews over the past few decades to an overall attack on Queen by an entire magazine as a whole is leaning into JFK conspiracy lunacy. With all due respect Michael i believe that you are quite mistaken on this topic. You give the rhetorical example of the "We're glad the fag's dead!" headline which actually proves my point. They thought so little of Freddie that they didn't even bother putting him on the cover when he died.  As far as i know  the whole Queen group has never appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone. And Freddie has only appeared as a small part of a collage on the magazines 40th anniversary cover. Jann Wenner co-founder and still publisher of the magazine seems not to like Queen. And the people he tends to hire have similar sensibillities as his, not just in music but politics. Which is why who ever the democratic candidate for president is will receive glowing cover stories about themselves in Rolling Stone every election. Which is not to say that people with rightist opinions never have pieces published in the magazine because people like PJ O'Rourke have over the years. Its not a conspiracy but a mindset.



























































































































Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Nov 08, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Charlie Brown wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



Michael Allred wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



Charlie Brown wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



^ Hello Michael, Rolling Stone magazine has a editorial staff  just like every other magazine and editorial staffs tend to have a certain viewpoint and the viewpoint of  Rolling Stones staff has tended to be very negative towards Queen not just in terms of their music but of them as people. If memory serves the review of Jazz was so insulting that it prompted Roger to write a letter on the nearest available piece of paper, which happened to be an air sickness bag.



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 


It's Rolling Stone's intent to obliterate Queen. Heck I remember the jollies they had when Freddie died, I believe the headline went "We're glad the fag's dead!" or something to that effect.

 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



Newspapers have editorial staffs as well and for example will often support certain political viewpoints BUT that's kept seperate from the actual articles and reserved only for those "from the editor" pieces. If that wasn't the case, they would lose any shred of journalistic credibility.



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



The facts are that critics, in general, have never liked Queen's music, it does not however mean that there was some sort of ridiculous back room shadiness working towards discrediting Queen's music and derailing their career. To attribute a handful of reviews over the past few decades to an overall attack on Queen by an entire magazine as a whole is leaning into JFK conspiracy lunacy. With all due respect Michael i believe that you are quite mistaken on this topic. You give the rhetorical example of the "We're glad the fag's dead!" headline which actually proves my point. They thought so little of Freddie that they didn't even bother putting him on the cover when he died.  As far as i know  the whole Queen group has never appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone. And Freddie has only appeared as a small part of a collage on the magazines 40th anniversary cover. Jann Wenner co-founder and still publisher of the magazine seems not to like Queen. And the people he tends to hire have similar sensibillities as his, not just in music but politics. Which is why who ever the democratic candidate for president is will receive glowing cover stories about themselves in Rolling Stone every election. Which is not to say that people with rightist opinions never have pieces published in the magazine because people like PJ O'Rourke have over the years. Its not a conspiracy but a mindset.



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 


Plenty of celebrities did not appear on the cover of RS after they died, does that mean the magazine has something against them as well? Similarly, Queen only had a window of a few years when they were truly HUGE in America in the late 70s early 80s, that's it. One must consider that Queen were not the only news story of the day back then. It's nothing more basic then "Who was more relevant to American music?" at the time and it's likely Queen would not have been in the top 10 of any critic or music journalist in the country.

You mention Jann Wenner and said it seems he does not like the band. To my knowledge he has never made any such comment publically to back that up. On the contrary, Wenner is a big cheese at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and as we all know, Queen were inducted a few years back while other, more popular American bands have yet to get in like KISS. Surely at some point we would have seen a quote or *something* from Wenner saying "Well, they're not my first choice to get inducted." or something along those lines.








Charlie Brown user not visiting Queenzone.com
Charlie Brown
Bohemian: 462 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Nov 08, 01:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote















































































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































Michael Allred wrote:































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 



























































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































Charlie Brown wrote:































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 











































































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 



























































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 































 






























Plenty of celebrities did not appear on the cover of RS after they died, does that mean the magazine has something against them as well? Similarly, Queen only had a window of a few years when they were truly HUGE in America in the late 70s early 80s, that's it. One must consider that Queen were not the only news story of the day back then. It's nothing more basic then "Who was more relevant to American music?" at the time and it's likely Queen would not have been in the top 10 of any critic or music journalist in the country.













You mention Jann Wenner and said it seems he does not like the band. To my knowledge he has never made any such comment publically to back that up. On the contrary, Wenner is a big cheese at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and as we all know, Queen were inducted a few years back while other, more popular American bands have yet to get in like KISS. Surely at some point we would have seen a quote or *something* from Wenner saying "Well, they're not my first choice to get inducted." or something along those lines. Its true Michael that not every celebrity that departs this world appears on the Cover of RS but those other celebrities aren't one of the most well regarded vocalists of all time. And yes Queen was inducted into the Hall of Fame but 3 years after they became eligible so it doesn't seem like Mr. Wenner or his associates  were in a huge hurry to put them in. As for Kiss being more popular according RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) Queen has around 13 million certified units sold in the US than Kiss.



































































Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Nov 08, 16:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, this quote function now sucks.

Anyways, Alan Light, who wrote this article for Rolling Stone used to be the editor for Spin Magazine, which has always sucked.