Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Question about 1982 Tour

forum rss feed
Author

Zodiacal_light user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Nov 08, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can anyone tell me , at how many gigs (and where) did the band break with the norm, and open with 'Rock-it' instead of  'The Hero'.  I'm pretty sure it might have been some Japan shows. 

There's one in particular that i had (audio), which was superb. However after a PC crash i cant find it anywhere.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 08, 18:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

www.queenconcerts.com has all the answers you seek.

Though I do believe it was only the US part of the tour that they opened with Rock It.

thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 08, 22:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All European tour shows opened with Flash and The Hero. For most of the North American tour, Flash would segue into most of Rock It, with the coda of Rock It flowing seamlessly into the last chorus of the fast We Will Rock You. Towards the end of the North American tour, the band stopped playing the fast part of Rock It, and as soon as the meandering intro ended with a drum hit, Freddie would start singing the fast version of We Will Rock You.

The Hero was revived for a couple of shows on the Japanese tour as the opener in place of Rock It/WWRY.

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
Zodiacal_light user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 06:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cheers guys.

Seems i have a bit of searching to do.  

daffy_the_duck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 19:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fukuoka 19th, Nagoya 26th & Sapporo 29th october started all 3 with Flash (tape), Rock it, WWRY

thetman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 77 posts

Posted: 12 Nov 08, 19:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1982 boston garden they opened with rock it- after the little declaration of announcing "Queen Day". great concert by the way.
tman

Posted: 12 Nov 08, 19:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1982 boston garden they opened with rock it- after the little declaration of announcing "Queen Day". great concert by the way.
tman

Attachment: 1982 boston garden copy.jpg 44 KB
This has been downloaded 83 time(s).

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 08, 10:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thetman wrote:

tman

Is that picture you attached from the Boston show?  I've never seen it before.... but it has an August tag in the corner, so I thought I'd ask.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 13 Nov 08, 17:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes I took that picture- not the best seats but I did manage to work my way up front some during the show. during their providence show 1980? I think- I did manage to go all the way up front and actually right up to stage (security was much more lax back then). I was able to stay their for about five songs before security caught on. good times indeed.
thetman

The Real Wizard

Posted: 14 Nov 08, 03:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do you still have your Providence pictures, or did they confiscate your camera?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

no nobody took my camera- infact in those days I didn't see much security at all- only in the immediate front part of the stage. I didn't have my camera with me when I approached the stage during one of theprovidence gigs- the best pictures i took were during their 77 tour in providence-we actually managed to sneak around the back of the stage where they don't sell seats! here is one of those shots
thetman

Attachment: civic center 4.jpg 42 KB
This has been downloaded 71 time(s).

The Real Wizard

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow.... great story, and fantastic pic.  Thanks for that!

Any chance you can post some others?

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 12:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thanks- if I knew now what I knew then i would have bought dozens of rolls of film- I was just a little kid with my parents cheap Instamatic camera. You've got me thinking now- I do have the pictures (somewhere). haven't thought about those pictures-like many others over the years for quite a while. for some reason I had a few in my desk- but not the envelope (and negatives I hope) that they belong in. going to have to do some digging it seems. probably in a box with all my other paraphernalia ( magazines- concert programs etc..) I'll see what I can do
thetman

The Real Wizard

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Beautiful... thanks!

Did you attend any other shows besides Providence 80 and Boston 82 ?

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw them three times-82,80,77. I wish it was more- but hey you don't think of these things when you are young-your just looking for the next good time it seems. I was actually offered ticket for a show- (would have been #4} can't remember the exact year- it was around the jazz tour I believe- but long story short I couldn't get a ride and the person who ended up going .. freddie actually handed the mic over to him and asked him what he wanted to hear and then procedded to dump his drink on him! could have been me! Now that would have been a good story, buthey 3 times ain't too shabby I guess. How about yourself- did you see anyof the shows?
thetman

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 18:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hey Just checked out your site- good stuff onthere-I saw the 1977 pic posted- and I just realized that it was 21 years ago TODAY! holy crap- whats the chances of that? Its funny how things fall together.
thetman

thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 21:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thetman wrote:

hey Just checked out your site- good stuff onthere-I saw the 1977 pic posted- and I just realized that it was 21 years ago TODAY! holy crap- whats the chances of that? Its funny how things fall together.
thetman

21? Try again. You're older than you think. ;)

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."

Posted: 16 Nov 08, 17:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

never did like math....so I was a decade off- yikes! Now excuse me while I go to the store to pick out my cane.
theman

The Real Wizard

Posted: 16 Nov 08, 22:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thetman wrote:

I saw them three times-82,80,77. I wish it was more- but hey you don't think of these things when you are young-your just looking for the next good time it seems. I was actually offered ticket for a show- (would have been #4} can't remember the exact year- it was around the jazz tour I believe- but long story short I couldn't get a ride and the person who ended up going .. freddie actually handed the mic over to him and asked him what he wanted to hear and then procedded to dump his drink on him! could have been me! Now that would have been a good story, buthey 3 times ain't too shabby I guess. How about yourself- did you see anyof the shows?
thetman

I'm about half your age... so definitely not, unfortunately.

Phoenix501 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 78 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 08, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That last pic is one of the best Queen photos I've ever seen. thanks