Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Was Freddie planning at any point to go on his own?

forum rss feed
Author

Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Nov 08, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speculations, as usual.

I remember an interview with John from the Works days (83/84, not sure if before or after the release) where he said or meant to say that things weren't as friendly inside the band at a certain point during that period.

Roger had done Fun in Space, Brian did Starfleet... but was it just because of the others (those that wanted to, of course) did their solos that Freddie did his own? And then he thought that the way Mr. Bad Guy was made was the "future", but as it wasn't as succesful as he thought it could be... he gave up on the idea of going solo?


new one user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 201 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Nov 08, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From interviews around that time you do certainly get the feeling that they were never too far away from splitting and who knows what Freddie would have done if Mr Bad Guy had been a success, I reckon he would have been off in a flash personally. Isn't there an interview with Roger Daltry advising them to just have a long holiday but not to split up on magis years? So there must have been some discussion or rumour for that question to have been put to Mr Daltry in the first place. I think Brian hit the nail on the head when he said the thing that keeps them together is the fact that Queen is a lot better than any one of them. I think that remark is just as significant with the current lineup too.


atg2001 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Nov 08, 16:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you might be reading too much into their arguments. It seems as if they hated each others guts during every recording session. Besides it was seem during The Works if anyone was to go their own seperate ways it would be Brian or Roger as they were the two responsible for fighting an rowing with each other.

thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Nov 08, 22:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I still believe that, if not for Freddie's illness, the band would have gone their separate ways after the Magic Tour. Not a true "split," per se, but they'd have all gone off to work on solo projects and having lives and families and stuff, and ten years later after a decade of speculation, one of them would casually mention in an interview that "We never really split, but I don't think anyone should be waiting anxiously for the next Queen album either."



"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
atg2001 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 07:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



 



 



Thunderbolt wrote:



 



I still believe that, if not for Freddie's illness, the band would have gone their separate ways after the Magic Tour. Not a true "split," per se, but they'd have all gone off to work on solo projects and having lives and families and stuff, and ten years later after a decade of speculation, one of them would casually mention in an interview that "We never really split, but I don't think anyone should be waiting anxiously for the next Queen album either."



 





I don't see how as Freddie's illness only prevented the band from touring. After the magic tour and working with the fat screaming lady Freddie said that he found it nice to get back into the studio. The Miracle sessions were planned and well underway before Freddie even started to show obvious signs that he was ill. The Miracle was recorded mainly in 1988 and you'd have no real reason to suspect  Freddie was sick and only really started showing signs of illness late '88 and around the time when the promotional videos for the songs were shot which I THINK was sometime in early 1989. After that his physical decline became very noticable

But I don't think they would have split if it wasn't for Freddie's condition after the Magic tour as they came back together with them (save Freddie) not knowing that there even was a condition. They started work on The Miracle because it was time for another Queen album not because they felt they had to, they wanted to.

I do however think that their next album after The Miracle wouldn't have been as soon as 2 years after, I think if Freddie was perfectly well Innuendo (entirely different an album as it would be) would not have been released until 1993 maybe even 1994 and I think the gap between recording albums would have got greater.

But split up? Nah. None of them were that successful in their solo stuff and I think they knew that and that's why they always returned to Queen.    




masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 08:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


"you can always come back to Queen, like coming back to mother..."

Roger.


Queen rocks!
greataddict user not visiting Queenzone.com
Call me Master, now!
greataddict
Bohemian: 181 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with that,

I also sometimes think that, if Freddie didn't have Aids, he would have developed two kinds of "musical personalities"

Keeping on rocking stuff with Queen, and maybe experimenting into the electro stuff, on solo works...







What is left of your dreams?

Just the words on your stone

"a man who learned how to teach

then forgot how to learn"

I should remember that, now that I'm graduated Master musician!
Lely of the valley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 11:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember Brian declared in an interview many years ago that Freddie was the glue that keep Queen together.
Freddie leaving was ver unlikely. (Just as I start to write this, A Kind of Magic started on te radio).
So I think it always be a guess........[img=/images/smiley/msn/thumbs_up.gif][/img]

Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Miracle sessions were planned and well underway before Freddie even started to show obvious signs that he was ill. The Miracle was recorded mainly in 1988 and you'd have no real reason to suspect  Freddie was sick and only really started showing signs of illness late '88 and around the time when the promotional videos for the songs were shot which I THINK was sometime in early 1989. After that his physical decline became very noticable


I think that there weren't obvious signs to us, but he probably knew it since 86, and others might have had some clues as well that something wasn't going that well. To me, "Was it all worth it" already sounds like a farewell.

Anyway... if Mr. Bad Guy was a success (sold more than a Queen album for example) I think he would have said goodbye for good. His solo attempt wasn't just a way to "make things he couldn't do in the band" as many artists say when they release their solo stuff.

Markman38 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 295 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At 86 tour he never ended with see you next time or something similar. I think he knew already that it was his last tour. Monseratt Cabballe stated that Freddie needed lots of make up during Barcelona to hide al the spots on his face. And that one was recorded in 1987 so he must know it during the Magic Tour, maybe My Love is Dangerous was an innuendo

Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If we start thinking about innuendos, Love Kills was one of them too.

If they knew that they wouldn't be touring anymore because they were "tired" of tours (which wasn't the obvious reason), they could have become a studio band... like these other 4 guys, and Freddie could even act as a solo artist this way, kind of a proto-Gwen Stefani.

Either way, I think all of them knew that their "chances" as a band were much better.


danwhite89 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 68 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Think about it. By 1984 they had been together for 13 years. Even if you land your dream job, there may be feelings of boredom and stuff seeping through by that period. Then think about your work colleagues. Ok producers come and go, but they were always within each other's company, so it was quite clear that they would have got on each other's nerves.  


atg2001 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 20:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



I think The Works album was part of a wider internal struggle within the band over what direction they should take. Brian and Roger feeling vindicated by their oppostion to the concept behind Hot Space and annoyed that Freddie and John had talked them around to convinced them it was a good idea fought back to move the band back into safe and familiar territory.



I think Freddie's power-base suffered greatly as Brian and Roger blamed him for being the one so enthusiastically pushing for the funk sound of their previous album which did so badly and in some ways really killed dead the momentum they had until that point been building. It's worth noting that there are only two Mercury penned tracks on The Works and neither of them released as singles. (A Hard Life and Is This The World We Created? were both joint collaborations with May).



They'e always said that they didn't sit down and try to make hits rather albums. The Works I think they clearly DID try to make hits to atone for Hot Space.

If Freddie was to go his own way it might have been then.   But he stuck with it.



Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 20:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



atg2001 wrote:



 



 



 



I think The Works album was part of a wider internal struggle within the band over what direction they should take. Brian and Roger feeling vindicated by their oppostion to the concept behind Hot Space and annoyed that Freddie and John had talked them around to convinced them it was a good idea fought back to move the band back into safe and familiar territory.



 



 



 



I think Freddie's power-base suffered greatly as Brian and Roger blamed him for being the one so enthusiastically pushing for the funk sound of their previous album which did so badly and in some ways really killed dead the momentum they had until that point been building. It's worth noting that there are only two Mercury penned tracks on The Works and neither of them released as singles. (A Hard Life and Is This The World We Created? were both joint collaborations with May).



 



 



 



They'e always said that they didn't sit down and try to make hits rather albums. The Works I think they clearly DID try to make hits to atone for Hot Space.

If Freddie was to go his own way it might have been then.   But he stuck with it.



 



 



 


"It's A Hard Life", if you buy the album, you'll notice it's credited to only Freddie Mercury. =) Freddie did all the music and lyrics on the song, even if Brian May suggested the "Oh" in "Oh, yeah, I fell in love", I don't consider it a real contribution to consider. In other words, for you... get off Limewire, and buy the album!








"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
atg2001 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 08, 21:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



Play The Game wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



atg2001 wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



I think The Works album was part of a wider internal struggle within the band over what direction they should take. Brian and Roger feeling vindicated by their oppostion to the concept behind Hot Space and annoyed that Freddie and John had talked them around to convinced them it was a good idea fought back to move the band back into safe and familiar territory.



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



I think Freddie's power-base suffered greatly as Brian and Roger blamed him for being the one so enthusiastically pushing for the funk sound of their previous album which did so badly and in some ways really killed dead the momentum they had until that point been building. It's worth noting that there are only two Mercury penned tracks on The Works and neither of them released as singles. (A Hard Life and Is This The World We Created? were both joint collaborations with May).



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



They'e always said that they didn't sit down and try to make hits rather albums. The Works I think they clearly DID try to make hits to atone for Hot Space.

If Freddie was to go his own way it might have been then.   But he stuck with it.



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 


"It's A Hard Life", if you buy the album, you'll notice it's credited to only Freddie Mercury. =) Freddie did all the music and lyrics on the song, even if Brian May suggested the "Oh" in "Oh, yeah, I fell in love", I don't consider it a real contribution to consider. In other words, for you... get off Limewire, and buy the album!






Anyone who knows anything about the song knows that it was Freddie's song but him and May worked on the lyrics together, May even talks about this on the GH2 DVD commentary that he spent a lot of time with Freddie on that song working on the lyrics helping him put down his feelings and where the song wanted to go which is why he felt so dismayed at the video of it.

It was essentially a collaboration lyrically but because the basic idea came from Freddie he got the credit as the songs creator.

So don't start with that disparaging "get off limewire", why don't you get off something and look beyond just who the song is credited to and find out about the background and story of each song.

From May's own mouth...

". I particularly worked very closely with Freddie on the words of "It's a Hard Life" ... we had a fantastic dialogue, looking at every word, trying to distill our common experiences, though in different areas ..... "

I guess you think because the album credits "Queen" on their last two studio albums that they all wrote all the songs jointly an anyone who thinks differently are just muppets who download from limewire. 









Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Nov 08, 21:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



atg2001 wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



Play The Game wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



atg2001 wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



I think The Works album was part of a wider internal struggle within the band over what direction they should take. Brian and Roger feeling vindicated by their oppostion to the concept behind Hot Space and annoyed that Freddie and John had talked them around to convinced them it was a good idea fought back to move the band back into safe and familiar territory.



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



I think Freddie's power-base suffered greatly as Brian and Roger blamed him for being the one so enthusiastically pushing for the funk sound of their previous album which did so badly and in some ways really killed dead the momentum they had until that point been building. It's worth noting that there are only two Mercury penned tracks on The Works and neither of them released as singles. (A Hard Life and Is This The World We Created? were both joint collaborations with May).



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



They'e always said that they didn't sit down and try to make hits rather albums. The Works I think they clearly DID try to make hits to atone for Hot Space.

If Freddie was to go his own way it might have been then.   But he stuck with it.



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 


"It's A Hard Life", if you buy the album, you'll notice it's credited to only Freddie Mercury. =) Freddie did all the music and lyrics on the song, even if Brian May suggested the "Oh" in "Oh, yeah, I fell in love", I don't consider it a real contribution to consider. In other words, for you... get off Limewire, and buy the album!






Anyone who knows anything about the song knows that it was Freddie's song but him and May worked on the lyrics together, May even talks about this on the GH2 DVD commentary that he spent a lot of time with Freddie on that song working on the lyrics helping him put down his feelings and where the song wanted to go which is why he felt so dismayed at the video of it.

It was essentially a collaboration lyrically but because the basic idea came from Freddie he got the credit as the songs creator.

So don't start with that disparaging "get off limewire", why don't you get off something and look beyond just who the song is credited to and find out about the background and story of each song.

From May's own mouth...

". I particularly worked very closely with Freddie on the words of "It's a Hard Life" ... we had a fantastic dialogue, looking at every word, trying to distill our common experiences, though in different areas ..... "

I guess you think because the album credits "Queen" on their last two studio albums that they all wrote all the songs jointly an anyone who thinks differently are just muppets who download from limewire. 

I know what Brian said on the commentary. And Brian also claims Paul Rodger's is Freddie's idol. He also is mad at Freddie for having other musicians on the "Mr. Bad Guy" album instead of Queen members.

As for The Miracle album, Freddie wrote all of the songs. Music and lyrics. He played lead guitar on Headlong too. [img=/images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif][/img]  And for the Innuendo album, Freddie wrote all the lyrics, and the rest of the band wrote the music. Freddie sang all the songs while in a wheel chair... you can see it sitting in the corner of the studio on the 'Headlong' music video.[img=/images/smiley/msn/omg_smile.gif][/img]

Oh, how I love people who's favorite Queen product is the Platinum Collection!!!!








"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
atg2001 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Nov 08, 08:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not even going to quote what you've said as you're clearly infatuated with the enter button it's nearly impossible to.

Secondly you're such an arrogant SOB. Brian said he worked closely with Freddie on the lyrics of the song....but we cannot believe him can we as he also says he liked Paul Rogers...so that must be false.

Then you go onto this bollocks about "oh how I love people who say their favourite Queen album is the greatest hits" because you have no idea what you were talking about and got embarrassed for being the "real fan" who had no clue about the background of a song.

You clearly have no clue mate and if you best you have is to insinuate that you're "more" of a fan because you've got an attitude problem or use the quote button like a retard leaving dirty great white spaces between everything then I suggest you go away think about what you've done and then come back and try again with a better effort.

Of course know the real background to songs and who contributed what and who worked closely with who and who's concepts and ideas went into them is something only "i love greatest hits" fans would know isn't it? People like you, indepth knowledgeable people like you the REAL fan don't need to know any of that do you? No because people who know that just know the greatest hits. They're not smart enough to read an album sleeve like you are.    



Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Nov 08, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And there goes the topic subject.

He also is mad at Freddie for having other musicians on the "Mr. Bad Guy" album instead of Queen members.


It seems that mr. May has some problems then to understand the concept of a "band" and a "solo" project if this is true. If by having 50% of the original members he still insist on using the name Queen, what if there was 100% of the band in a SOLO album of a member? It should be called Queen + Freddie? Freddie + Queen?... nonsense.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Nov 08, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If Freddie released Mr. Bad Guy in 2005, it'd of been a fucking hit album in the USA.


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Martin Packer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 528 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Nov 08, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought Brian's issue was said to be that Freddie got a different guitarist to sound somewhat like Brian. When i he wanted Brian's sound one might suppose he'd've asked Brian to guest. Like Freddie later did on Shove It (to name but one).

But then I don't know where the idea that Brian had a problem with Mr Bad Guy came from. It's probably not true.



Martin