Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Freddie as 18. best singer of all time

forum rss feed
Author

timantt1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 38 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Nov 08, 18:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So, what do you think about Rolling Stone magazine list?

The 100 Greatest Singers of All Time

1 | Aretha Franklin
2 | Ray Charles
3 | Elvis Presley
4 | Sam Cooke
5 | John Lennon
6 | Marvin Gaye
7 | Bob Dylan
8 | Otis Redding
9 | Stevie Wonder
10 | James Brown
11 | Paul McCartney
12 | Little Richard
13 | Roy Orbison
14 | Al Green
15 | Robert Plant
16 | Mick Jagger
17 | Tina Turner
18 | Freddie Mercury
19 | Bob Marley
20 | Smokey Robinson ...
55 | Paul Rodgers

I think it is surprisingly high, considering that it is RS, and they had always practically hated Queen.

I also think a couple of names ahead of Freddie got their position with more thanks to their other musical achievements than from their actual singing abilities.

Anyway, this is good achievement.

Claudio_CQI user not visiting Queenzone.com
Oh yes, we'll keep on tryin'..
Claudio_CQI
Bohemian: 108 posts

Posted: 14 Nov 08, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

timantt1 wrote:

1 | Aretha Franklin
2 | Ray Charles
3 | Elvis Presley
4 | Sam Cooke
5 | John Lennon
6 | Marvin Gaye
7 | Bob Dylan
8 | Otis Redding
9 | Stevie Wonder
10 | James Brown
11 | Paul McCartney
12 | Little Richard
13 | Roy Orbison
14 | Al Green
15 | Robert Plant
16 | Mick Jagger
17 | Tina Turner
18 | Freddie Mercury
19 | Bob Marley
20 | Smokey Robinson ...
55 | Paul Rodgers

I think it is surprisingly high, considering that it is RS, and they had always practically hated Queen.

I also think a couple of names ahead of Freddie got their position with more thanks to their other musical achievements than from their actual singing abilities.

With all the respect, but I think RS as long as MTV are sectarians and/or inattentive

bye
Cla

QueenZeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts

Posted: 14 Nov 08, 19:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

timantt1 wrote:

1 | Aretha Franklin
2 | Ray Charles
3 | Elvis Presley
4 | Sam Cooke
5 | John Lennon
6 | Marvin Gaye
7 | Bob Dylan
8 | Otis Redding
9 | Stevie Wonder
10 | James Brown
11 | Paul McCartney
12 | Little Richard
13 | Roy Orbison
14 | Al Green
15 | Robert Plant
16 | Mick Jagger
17 | Tina Turner
18 | Freddie Mercury
19 | Bob Marley
20 | Smokey Robinson ...
55 | Paul Rodgers

Well, considering it's RS, we should be happy and count our blessings he made top 20.

I definitely agree that some of these guys got ahead based on musical achievement and not voice. Some, though I disagree with their placement, I can definitely see and understand...Aretha, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Elvis Presley, Robert Plant...hell, I'm sure in the cases of Aretha and Robert, Freddie himself would say they belong before him...Aretha's certainly one of the few voices that could legitimately claim to be better than Freddie's, and I wouldn't get upset. Stevie's also an amazing singer.

But Bob Dylan? Is that some sort of joke? Bob is universally recognized--despite all his lyrical brilliance--to be a terrible singer. I can't take more than two songs in a row of that nasally voice before I can turn it off.

John Lennon and Paul McCartney DEFINITELY deserve to be in the top 20, but I don't know about that high. Their voices are distinctive and the harmonies they put together are pure butter, but on their own, their singing is not fabulous, and despite their position as probably the greatest rock act of all time, I can't see either placed that high on a list of singers.

On another note, RS seems to be relaxing on Queen the last few years, starting somewhere around Live 8, as they recognized Queen's performance at Live Aid and how their presence was still felt 20 years later in the performances of Green Day and Robbie Williams and the flourishes of other acts like Velvet Revolver...their reviews of Q+PR have not been nearly as negative as the rest of the mainstream press, and they put Keep Yourself Alive in the top 30 guitar tracks of all time...overall, the number of passing positive references to Freddie and co. has far outweighed the once snarky comments about Queen that used to be dropped.

So yeah, on the whole, pretty good I suppose.

"Have you ever seen or touched any monkeys?"
timantt1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 38 posts

Posted: 14 Nov 08, 20:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"But Bob Dylan? Is that some sort of joke? Bob is universally recognized--despite all his lyrical brilliance--to be a terrible singer. I can't take more than two songs in a row of that nasally voice before I can turn it off.

John Lennon and Paul McCartney DEFINITELY deserve to be in the top 20, but I don't know about that high. Their voices are distinctive and the harmonies they put together are pure butter, but on their own, their singing is not fabulous, and despite their position as probably the greatest rock act of all time, I can't see either placed that high on a list of singers."

Actually mainly the same names I was thinking?

Bob Dylan has some good moments, but I can't listen him very long.

Lennon-McCartney were magic together, but after they split I don't know if Macca had ever made anything special, not to me anyway. Lennon has, but of course our Freddie could imitate him perfectly, if he wanted to, like he did twice (or trice), with Jealousy and Life is real (song for Lennon) + Imagine live. (imitating someone is not a mark of a good singer, but I think Freddie really admire Lennon, and those were his tributes)

Mick Jagger is good frontman and singer of Rolling stones bluesy songs, but I really don't think he's better singer than Freddie. Actually, I think that Paul Rodgers is also better singer than Mick.

Marcelo_argentina user not visiting Queenzone.com
Marcelo_argentina
Bohemian: 219 posts

Posted: 14 Nov 08, 20:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rolling Stone is just pure shit! amazing crap!! incredible losers!

StoneColdClassicQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
I need a haircut.
StoneColdClassicQueen
Bohemian: 775 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 00:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bob Dylan higher than Freddie????
Oh wait, this is RS, they don't know anything...
Pfft, Paul Rodgers should've been higher than Bob Dylan.
Aretha Franklin has an awesome voice so I can understand why her position is extremely high. Is John Fogerty in that list???
Confession: I don't like Robert Plant's voice that much. In some songs, he's just awful. Sorry, but he's one of the worst singers I've heard...it's funny that I like Led Zeppelin though. It's just that sometimes I can't stand Robert Plant's voice.
yeah...

"When you make love to someone, use a condom."-Brian May

Paul Rodgers is Chuck Norris.
ana_libra user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 04:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

16 | Mick Jagger ???????????
c'mon now... we all know mick can't sing...

Raffy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Raffy
Bohemian: 444 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 08:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me the the top 20 of the best male rock singers of all time will be this:
1) Ray Gillen (Black Sabbath, Badlands listen to him and understand why for me is the best of all times)
2) Freddie Mercury
3) Robert Plant
4) Paul Rodgers
5) Ian Gillan
6) Steven Tyler
7) Steve Perry
8) Jeff Scott Soto
9) Bruce Dickinson
10) Rob Halford
11) Glenn Hughes
12) David Coverdale
13) Bobby Kimball
14) Tony Martin
15) Eric Martin
16) Ronnie James Dio
17) Axl Rose
18) Elton John
19) Michael Jackson (Yeah I know it's pop but listen to him in Beat it, Black or white, Come Together or Dirty Diana)
20) Joey Tempest

Raffy

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 08:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

StoneColdClassicQueen wrote:

Bob Dylan higher than Freddie????
Oh wait, this is RS, they don't know anything...
Pfft, Paul Rodgers should've been higher than Bob Dylan.
Aretha Franklin has an awesome voice so I can understand why her position is extremely high. Is John Fogerty in that list???
Confession: I don't like Robert Plant's voice that much. In some songs, he's just awful. Sorry, but he's one of the worst singers I've heard...it's funny that I like Led Zeppelin though. It's just that sometimes I can't stand Robert Plant's voice.
yeah...

Yeah RS don't know anything about the real good music... everybody knows Bob Dylan can't sing c'mon!

Cwazy little thing user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 10:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Raffy wrote:

For me the the top 20 of the best male rock singers of all time will be this:
1) Ray Gillen (Black Sabbath, Badlands listen to him and understand why for me is the best of all times)
2) Freddie Mercury
3) Robert Plant
4) Paul Rodgers
5) Ian Gillan
6) Steven Tyler
7) Steve Perry
8) Jeff Scott Soto
9) Bruce Dickinson
10) Rob Halford
11) Glenn Hughes
12) David Coverdale
13) Bobby Kimball
14) Tony Martin
15) Eric Martin
16) Ronnie James Dio
17) Axl Rose
18) Elton John
19) Michael Jackson (Yeah I know it's pop but listen to him in Beat it, Black or white, Come Together or Dirty Diana)
20) Joey Tempest

Nice list, and I agree with the majority of the names in there, but I would add Bon Scott to the list since you said rock singers, and I personally think Chris Cornell on his day is up there with some of the best - he's got a superb gravelly, edgey voice. And to be even more controversial, I think people drastically underestimate how good Phil Collins' voice is - listen to any of Genesis' live stuff in the early nineties - he could be outstanding.

Adventure Seeker on an empty street...

www.myspace.com/ampfirerock
Raffy

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 11:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cwazy little thing wrote:

Nice list, and I agree with the majority of the names in there, but I would add Bon Scott to the list since you said rock singers, and I personally think Chris Cornell on his day is up there with some of the best - he's got a superb gravelly, edgey voice. And to be even more controversial, I think people drastically underestimate how good Phil Collins' voice is - listen to any of Genesis' live stuff in the early nineties - he could be outstanding.

Yeah you're right.
Phil Voice is great, much better than Peter Gabriel for me.
Sure he would be in my top 30 list with Sting, Chris Cornell, Layne Staley, Klaus Meine and Paul Stanley.

Olavi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 12:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dylan is a joke compared to the other singers on the list.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18452 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If they're also figuring songwriting, influence, and legacy into the equation, from a US perspective, it's a perfectly understandable and fair list for the most part (where's Frank Sinatra??).  But it is a very US-centred list... where are the international names like Miriam Makeba, Umm Kulthum, and of course Nana Mouskouri?

That said, some Queen fans need to get their heads out of their arses and realize the contributions of musicians other than their particular favourite band.  Freddie would probably be disgusted to know that some of his fans are discrediting other musicians/performers in his name.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh great another list.

littlekillerham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Derp.
littlekillerham
Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 08, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not bad.  He definetly deserves the place.  He should be above Mick Jagger I think, but i am a queenamanic.  ( A word i made up.  It means that you are a manic for queen.)

If you want to be loved, love.
mrbadguy86 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 48 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 08, 06:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my top is:

1. Freddie Mercury
2. Steve Perry
3. George Michael
4. Jan Werner Danielsen
5. Elton John
6. Bryan Ferry
7. Morten Harket (of A-HA)

Freddie Mercury; "Reach for the Top, and hope for the Best"

"Find them, Fuck them, Forget them!"
mrbadguy86 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 48 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 08, 06:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Raffy said: Sure he would be in my top 30 list with Sting, Chris Cornell, Layne Staley, Klaus Meine and Paul Stanley.

are u kidding? Sting has a great voice?

His annoying to listen to! Some of the Police-songs would have been MUCH better, if Sting didnt sing..

Freddie Mercury; "Reach for the Top, and hope for the Best"

"Find them, Fuck them, Forget them!"
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 08, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

littlekillerham wrote:

Not bad.  He definetly deserves the place.  He should be above Mick Jagger I think, but i am a queenamanic.  ( A word i made up.  It means that you are a manic for queen.)

Well then I'm a littlekillerhamamanic.

A word I made up.  It means you're a maniac, maniac on the dance floor.

redspecialusa user not visiting Queenzone.com
redspecialusa
Bohemian: 228 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 08, 23:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Rolling Stone magazine blows. I like them about as much as Louis Farrakhan likes Jewish people. Frankly I'm not surprised by the list. But all due respect to them, as well as to the performers on the list, the list itself should be renamed: Rolling Stone's 100 Most Influential Singers Of All Time. Or even Rolling Stone's 100 Most Recognizable Singers Of All Time. If the list actually had that name, I would whole-heartedly agree with them and they would even win some points with me...but some of those people as the 'Greatest Singers Of All Time' list??!! Gimme a fucking break!!

"Let us cling together as the years go by; Oh my love, my love.

In the quiet of the night,

Let our candle always burn;

Let us never lose the lessons we have learned." - Brian May
Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 09:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie is by faaaaar nr 1 

fuck rolling stone and the piece of shit creature who made that list!

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463