Forums > Personal > Chinese Democracy

forum rss feed
Author

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Nov 08, 14:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rather oddly, I couldn't find a thread on the first 10 pages, so I'm starting one.

Listened to this today, thought the first few songs had decent intro riffs, some of the later ones were trying to be too November Rain-ish, and don't recall any hooks particularly.

I will not be buying it.

princetom user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 08, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

is it already out, or did you listen at the common demo-versions ?

prince[tOM]
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 08, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

er...neither.

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 08, 03:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've read three reviews, and the three of them were negative.

I'll still give it a try, though.

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
bobo the chimp user is on Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 08, 05:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Raf wrote:

I've read three reviews, and the three of them were negative.

I'll still give it a try, though.

You're brave.  That's a bit like saying 'being shot has bad reviews, but I'll give it a try'.

Hehe

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Ms. Rebel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ms. Rebel
Deity: 3428 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 08, 07:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DUH! Of course I'm buying it.

I'm sick of all my kicks.
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 08, 07:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music critics are just like politicians.
The great majority of them are supposed to have extensive knowledge of their profession, but they have less of a clue as the average individual.

This Friday a local radio station will be playing the entire album without interruption.
Then I'll make my choice if Axl deserves my 12 bucks.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 08, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok let's be fair now. If critics say TCR is awful, they are wrong and are (insert insult here). If they say that the new GNR is bad, they become "intelligent people" (for the lack of a better adjective)?

Stop this noise!
Raf

Posted: 19 Nov 08, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marcos Napier wrote:

Ok let's be fair now. If critics say TCR is awful, they are wrong and are (insert insult here). If they say that the new GNR is bad, they become "intelligent people" (for the lack of a better adjective)?

I wouldn't say they "became" intelligent people. I personally never had my hopes up about Chinese Democracy. I can't see how Axl could put a good album together, to be honest. He was the frontman, but he wasn't the most creative force in the band at all. The creative core from the band has been recording and touring as Velvet Revolver. If Freddie's solo career was pretty much embarrassing and completely unlike Queen's typical sound (and he WAS one of the most creative songwriters in the group!), I can't see how Axl could have any further success in making good music. Let's not forget he had 14 years to work on this album, he spent millions of bucks on it, he redid every song from the album several times... He has no excuse: He took his time, he had lots of money and a large array of musicians available, and he named himself and his new band Guns n' Roses, the name of one of the biggest bands in the History of rock, maybe the biggest rock group from the early 90s. Some people will be expecting a masterpiece. I personally would expect something decent, something worth listening. One of the reviews I read said the new album is a failed mix of genres that have nothing to do with GnR (such as industrial, techno...), and the other review said it's something you simply can't stand listening, both because of the poor, uninteresting songs and because of Axl's voice itself - and let's face it, although I haven't heard his voice in any recent recording, I'm pretty sure at this age he must sound much worse than he did back when Use Your Illusion I&II were released.

April user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 08, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don`t expect anything from the album. Hasn`t Axl been in a drinking bout all these years?

Crazy LittleThing user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crazy LittleThing
Royalty: 1593 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 08, 19:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Assuming they go ahead with the release, it looks like will be a free Dr Pepper for everyone in America:

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/10/dr-pepper-to-ma.html

Raf:  I hope this includes Brazil!  They don't specify WHICH America in the wired blog ;)

I saved Spike's life in 'Nam.

Posted: 19 Nov 08, 19:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One of the reviews I read said the new album is a failed mix of genres that
have nothing to do with GnR (such as industrial, techno...)

I read this a lot of times too and I must say I was expecting something "modern" (in its worst meaning), but they aren't pretending to be NIN or Manson. Occasionally there are some odd sounds here and there (and too many wah sounds), but it's nothing unusual to make one think that they changed genres. I just thought that some intros are extremely long and unnecessary, but overall it really surprised me, I was expecting far worse, dance beats and stuff. I felt like I had heard some of these songs before (I heard the demos once and that was it), which kind of means that they are still sounding the same as usual, I guess.

I was afraid of the voice too. But considering that studio can make wonders... but what happened is that the vocals probably were recorded when he was still in a better shape and not a week ago. I doubt he can do that live, though.

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 08, 19:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I already have the demo's.
I'm buying this album, yes.

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 08, 17:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK, I just listened to it...

Here's a message for the Axl bashers who constantly remind us that there's no G'n'R withouth Slash and expected this to be a complete utter failure... IT'S NOT THAT BAD. In fact, the album itself is pretty damn well produced, and while itdoesn't particularly have the rocking edge of Appetite For Destruction, it has the cross-over appeal of Use Your Illusion I & II.

...and another message for the Axl butt-lickers... IT'S NOT WORTH THE WAIT. Yes, it's a good album, but 12 FUCKIN' YEARS IS WAY TOO DAMN LONG TO WAIT FOR ANY ALBUM.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
AssDudeRule user not visiting Queenzone.com
AssDudeRule
Bohemian: 101 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 08, 19:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On my first listen I thought it was ok.... The songs were good and all, but nothign cought me and I put it down and didnt listne to it that with great reaction.

How ever, upon playing it fucking loud in my car, the songs are starting to sink in. Its actually a pretty cool album.

Do we really need to know the back ground of an album rather than to just actually listen to it? If you forget the X amount of years it took and the title of the band, and just listen to, make that connection with, its a pretty cool album.

Time will tell how it goes. If it ages well, ect ect.

Bos Meg ya all.
7Innuendo7 user not visiting Queenzone.com
7Innuendo7
Bohemian: 816 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 08, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Better" & "Riad n the Bedouins" boil with Axl's rage, makes me wonder what it's all about.  And the point about 12 yrs+ is too long.   Well, it sure didn't take White Zombie too long to tear off "More Human Than Human," which is a bit of what the CD album sounds like.  It could be said Axl is creative control defined, but a whole lotta that's outta control!  "Scraped" and its ay-o chorus layers sound a little like 'Prophet's Song,'  and easy to hear why BM did a guide track to "Catcher in the Rye,"  the guitar following the vocal melody.  The ballads are surprising -- and have more studio tricks on the vocals.  Worth the listen.

When a red hot man meets a white hot lady, Hoop Diddy Diddy, Hoop Diddy Doo!
Stop this noise!
Raf

Posted: 25 Nov 08, 02:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It can be heard for free on MySpace.com

I haven't heard it yet, though.

Posted: 25 Nov 08, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

People expecting it to be a new Appettite is the same as expecing a new ANATO from QPR. Won't happen ever. But definitely it's not as bad as it could be. The comparisons with NIN are pure stupidity of critics (sorry for the redundance) that haven't listened to it and write their magic formulas in their reviews, pretty much like some of the TCR reviews.

bobo the chimp user is on Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 08, 11:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We live in a brave new world of music when "it's not that bad" = praise.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
***Marial-B*** user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mrs. Meijer
***Marial-B***
Deity: 2285 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 08, 14:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Metallica's new album is better, period xD

Barcelona, October 22nd 2008