Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Did Queen use to do this?

forum rss feed
Author

boca user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 399 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Nov 08, 08:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, what do you think, or do you have any info, that Queen members ever used some other songs, from other artists, and made new song? i really wonder, although i think not, or not much...

I think I'm banana tree...
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3664 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 08, 08:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John nicked Another One Bites The Dust. Everyone knows that

Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 08, 08:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

boca wrote:

Ok, what do you think, or do you have any info, that Queen members ever used some other songs, from other artists, and made new song? i really wonder, although i think not, or not much...

You mean plagiarize? I don't think so.

Dane user not visiting Queenzone.com
No strings attached!
Dane
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 08, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well.. maybe a bit.

A couple of months ago I was in the city with my brother and chance had it there was a live Opera playing  outside City Hall. One of the songs started off exactly, and I mean EXACTLY like It's A Hard Life. Freddie must have nicked that when he heard it at an Opera. But I believe that isn't a secret.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Queen Visual Library (www.qvl.nl)
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 08, 10:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dane wrote:

Well.. maybe a bit.

A couple of months ago I was in the city with my brother and chance had it there was a live Opera playing  outside City Hall. One of the songs started off exactly, and I mean EXACTLY like It's A Hard Life. Freddie must have nicked that when he heard it at an Opera. But I believe that isn't a secret.

hehehe, you dont have that much of an opera background do you?

:)
Major Tom user not visiting Queenzone.com
S.D.M.F
Major Tom
Bohemian: 878 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 08, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian nicked the solo in "The millionare waltz" from Winnie the Pooh, LOL.

It´s better to burn out than to fade away.
Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts

AssDudeRule user not visiting Queenzone.com
AssDudeRule
Bohemian: 101 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 08, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote:

John nicked Another One Bites The Dust. Everyone knows that

Not entirely.... Listen to the song.... Its by "chick" ...I think thats there name... and you will find the songs are totally different... little base line that sounds the same at the start, but ABTD then goes into a different direction.

The bass line was inspired by the song "Good Times" by the Disco group Chic. [1] [2] In an interview with New Musical Express, Chic co-founder Bernard Edwards stated, "...that Queen record came about because that Queen bass player... spent some time hanging out with us at our studio".

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=eTQMMiHpeN8

Bos Meg ya all.
Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1058 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 08, 04:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Our local pub has been playing 'Young hearts run free' a lot lately which always reminds me of 'Rain must fall'!

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"
Al TurHao user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 08, 06:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I got curious and searched that Young Hearts Run Free and YES, it really sounds sometimes like Rain Must Fall (some arrangements and chord progressions).

As for the the opera/it's a hard life, it's no secret. It's an aria called Vesti La Giubba.

Being a Scolar when it comes to Queen...

Posted: 25 Nov 08, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Al TurHao wrote:

I got curious and searched that Young Hearts Run Free and YES, it really sounds sometimes like Rain Must Fall (some arrangements and chord progressions).

As for the the opera/it's a hard life, it's no secret. It's an aria called Vesti La Giubba.

Is it the part "I don't want my freedom, there's no reason for living with the broken heart"?

Posted: 25 Nov 08, 09:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also remember Brian saying that he's not sure if "Save Me" was also, mabye unconsciously, inspired by one song, i can't remember which one. Can someone confirm that?
Many years later Brian also admitted "See What a Fool I Been" was inspired by an old blues song which he saw on television. Song is "That's How I Feel", by Brownie McGhee & Sonny Terry.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 08, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

boca wrote:

I also remember Brian saying that he's not sure if "Save Me" was also, mabye unconsciously, inspired by one song, i can't remember which one. Can someone confirm that?
Many years later Brian also admitted "See What a Fool I Been" was inspired by an old blues song which he saw on television. Song is "That's How I Feel", by Brownie McGhee & Sonny Terry.

Someone made that song available here once and if I recall correctly it doesn't sound anything like SWAFIB. I always thought it sounded a bit like 'Love in Vain' by Robert Johnson (or maybe one of the songs that were influenced by that, like UFO's 'Mystery Train'.)

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
AssDudeRule user not visiting Queenzone.com
AssDudeRule
Bohemian: 101 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 08, 17:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and my baby does me is taken from somethign esle also... forget which song.

Bos Meg ya all.
shieldmatron user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 08, 20:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

boca wrote:

Al TurHao wrote:

Is it the part "I don't want my freedom, there's no reason for living with the broken heart"?

Yes. It's from the opera Pagliacci. The opening Freddie used starts at the 2:06 minute mark in this video, if you are curious...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky271W94VHA

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 08, 22:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

boca wrote:

Hi, Boca!

I think music would be a very hard thing to do, even for the most gifted, if artists couldn't rely on other people's work, past and present, to create pieces of their own. In every piece of music there are signs of a certain, or of many, musical traditions - no one breakes new ground without being acquainted with what has already been achieved in the musical tradition. One has to start from some point. Things don't come up out of thin air or nothing.   

In the end of the day, however, if the composer is really imaginative, he succeeds in creating new, fresh interesting material from things he has listened to, read, remembers, and so on.

I think it's very hard to tell sometimes plagiarism from influence - some songs are so strikingly similar in some respects that one tends to think that the composer did only a "copy and paste" process, but that's not so simple.

Freddie's piano harmonic progressions and runs are reminiscent of dozens of classical pieces - you may find yourself listening to the introduction to "Death on Two Legs" or to the live intros to Somebody To Love in the works tour in the middle of a Liszt or Chopin composition - but then such artists as Liszt and Chopin or, as far as singing is concerned, Aretha, availed themselves of the tradition to create new ways of approaching an instrument or even vocals which turned out to be the very framework within which other artists would do their stuff. With time, their influence is so pervasive that one is just infected by it and tends to build things based on such influences unconsciously. Freddie's vocals in "Somebody to Love", especially in the 80's, seemed like a conscious effort to sound like Aretha - however, the song itself, even though it does have traditional gospel elements, is a new, fresh piece of music with a lot of innovation and creativity.  

The guitar introduction of Oasis' "Cigarretes & Alcohol" can be heard on Power Station's "Get it On", on about two or three Kiss' songs, and I started to try to trace it and it goes back to some basic blues progressions which happened to be developed to sound as a catchy and groovy rock n roll motive. These developments were so obvious, musically speaking, that different people made it on their own, only to find that someone else had already drawned that conclusion before. 

I think plagiarism, that is, the conscient reproduction of other people's work without acknolwdgement and any further significant input or innovation is very hard to prove. These things are not so clear-cut. 

Freddie and Brian were heavily influenced by many artists. Such influences do show up in a more striking way in some songs, but in the end of the day their own input is creative enough to produce new, fresh and interesting tunes. 

I can't help but remembering Robert Plant and Led when I listen to the original version of Sheer Heart Attack. There may be an influence there, but the Queen tune has a mark of its own and I like it more than any Led song.   

So, even though by listening to Queen I do listen partially, consciously or not, to other artists, I can't think of any song that the guys plagiarized. 

I know the answer turned out to be too long, but well, it's NO. I can't think of plagiarism in any Queen song - influence, even heavy influence, yes, but not really plagiarism. 

Cheers and take care! 

Yara

Posted: 25 Nov 08, 22:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara wrote:

boca wrote:

Hi, Boca!

I think music would be a very hard thing to do, even for the most gifted, if artists couldn't rely on other people's work, past and present, to create pieces of their own. In every piece of music there are signs of a certain, or of many, musical traditions - no one breakes new ground without being acquainted with what has already been achieved in the musical tradition. One has to start from some point. Things don't come up out of thin air or nothing.   

In the end of the day, however, if the composer is really imaginative, he succeeds in creating new, fresh interesting material from things he has listened to, read, remembers, and so on.

I think it's very hard to tell sometimes plagiarism from influence - some songs are so strikingly similar in some respects that one tends to think that the composer did only a "copy and paste" process, but that's not so simple.

Freddie's piano harmonic progressions and runs are reminiscent of dozens of classical pieces - you may find yourself listening to the introduction to "Death on Two Legs" or to the live intros to Somebody To Love in the works tour in the middle of a Liszt or Chopin composition - but then such artists as Liszt and Chopin or, as far as singing is concerned, Aretha, availed themselves of the tradition to create new ways of approaching an instrument or even vocals which turned out to be the very framework within which other artists would do their stuff. With time, their influence is so pervasive that one is just infected by it and tends to build things based on such influences unconsciously. Freddie's vocals in "Somebody to Love", especially in the 80's, seemed like a conscious effort to sound like Aretha - however, the song itself, even though it does have traditional gospel elements, is a new, fresh piece of music with a lot of innovation and creativity.  

The guitar introduction of Oasis' "Cigarretes & Alcohol" can be heard on Power Station's "Get it On", on about two or three Kiss' songs, and I started to try to trace it and it goes back to some basic blues progressions which happened to be developed to sound as a catchy and groovy rock n roll motive. These developments were so obvious, musically speaking, that different people made it on their own, only to find that someone else had already drawned that conclusion before. 

I think plagiarism, that is, the conscient reproduction of other people's work without acknolwdgement and any further significant input or innovation is very hard to prove. These things are not so clear-cut. 

Freddie and Brian were heavily influenced by many artists. Such influences do show up in a more striking way in some songs, but in the end of the day their own input is creative enough to produce new, fresh and interesting tunes. 

I can't help but remembering Robert Plant and Led when I listen to the original version of Sheer Heart Attack. There may be an influence there, but the Queen tune has a mark of its own and I like it more than any Led song.   

So, even though by listening to Queen I do listen partially, consciously or not, to other artists, I can't think of any song that the guys plagiarized. 

I know the answer turned out to be too long, but well, it's NO. I can't think of plagiarism in any Queen song - influence, even heavy influence, yes, but not really plagiarism. 

Cheers and take care! 

thanks for your kind reply. cheers!

chaim user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 08, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Breakthru -> Boys of summer (Don Henley). Pretty much the same hook in the chorus.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 08, 08:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Funny How Love Is - influenced by Phil Spector 'Wall of Sound' style of production. Ditto Now I'm Here and Chuck Berry. The list is endless.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
new one user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 08, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Under pressure sounds like it was knicked from Vanilla Ice's Ice Ice Baby, in fact its quite embaressing its so obvious!!!!