Forums > Personal > My Poems [DEAD END STREET and SATURDAY SATURDAY]

forum rss feed
Author

queenrocks! 10902 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 455 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Nov 08, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DEAD END STREET:

Years ago when I was young I was in this town
It was the golden rule for people to simply frown
Council overdosed on fiction not fact
There was plenty wrong tried to shadow all that
My social club was that place called school
Everywhere you looked was an insecure fool
Me and the team were outcasted
The battles were destined to be ones that lasted
The escape from the end of the world was bad
The cause was bad leaving town was never sad
Faces of old are not so bold
Loyal upbringer feels so cold
Now in the city where it screams pretty
Simply sweet to have left the dead end street

SATURDAY SATURDAY

Tonight's the night for a fight
Sex and booze simple we have the right
Idiots forgetting the birthday to celebrate
Fools switching quickly from love to hate
Just don't remember all of that bad
Memories are good to be had
Working nine to five being bored to the head
Darkness falls games are played in bed
Queen and Blur are what we sing
She is the world and everything
Me and her don't bother holding back the years
Death of our love there are no fears
I love you baby I'm so happy today
For we've just arrived on Saturday Saturday



I'm just a musical prostitute my dear!

FREDDIE MERCURY 1984
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Nov 08, 06:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's one major problem I'll state in one line
It's not always poetry just 'cause it rhymes.

In fact, and I mean this, rhyme's gone out of date
You're only a couple of centuries late.

Don't try to force things in meter or rhyme
So long as it's heart-felt, your poetry's fine.





...it's not the form that counts, love. It's the content. Just practice some, and break free from the stranglehold of rhyme. You obviously have something to say, and you know how to put it in words. Now find your *own* way of expressing it, not the way of some 17th century form-fetishist.



Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Nov 08, 10:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



ThomasQuinn wrote:

There's one major problem I'll state in one line
It's not always poetry just 'cause it rhymes.

In fact, and I mean this, rhyme's gone out of date
You're only a couple of centuries late.

Don't try to force things in meter or rhyme
So long as it's heart-felt, your poetry's fine.



LOL!  I disagree about rhythm and rhyme but love this nevertheless. Didn't expect it from you TQ. Made me laugh.








"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Nov 08, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I've always considered laughter preferable over tears."
-John Cage responding to the question if he minded if people laughed about his music.

Always glad to entertain. And I'm interested and supportive of every kind of art, so long as it is art for art's sake.



Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Nov 08, 12:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really don't care.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Nov 08, 06:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A life summarized in four words.



Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Lady Nyx user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1172 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Dec 08, 20:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



ThomasQuinn wrote:

"I've always considered laughter preferable over tears."
-John Cage responding to the question if he minded if people laughed about his music.

Always glad to entertain. And I'm interested and supportive of every kind of art, so long as it is art for art's sake.

john cage- now THATS an artist ;)








"why pay the visit when the visit is free?"
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Dec 08, 06:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love John Cage. The father of the sound scape, if you ask me.



Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Dec 08, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



ThomasQuinn wrote:

There's one major problem I'll state in one line
It's not always poetry just 'cause it rhymes.

In fact, and I mean this, rhyme's gone out of date
You're only a couple of centuries late.

Don't try to force things in meter or rhyme
So long as it's heart-felt, your poetry's fine.





...it's not the form that counts, love. It's the content. (...) Now find your *own* way of expressing it, not the way of some 17th century form-fetishist.

What about Parnasianism? ;) Not that it was good... Neither interesting... But well, it existed, it had its popularity in the 19th century... :P







We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Dec 08, 07:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Parnassianism converts art into craftsmanship, by sticking stringently to form; also, it's linked closely to positivism (philosophical determinism based on the assumption that empirical knowledge is the only form of true knowledge AND is by definition true because it is empirical. So, anything your senses tell you is true, basically, according to Comte and his followers).

Anyway, Gerard Manley Hopkins gives an interpretation of Parnassianism I agree with:
he used the term Parnassian to describe "competent but uninspired poetry, where a talented poet is merely operating on auto-pilot." (quoted from Reference.com. I think his actual wording might not have contained "auto-pilot"...)



Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Dec 08, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



ThomasQuinn wrote:

Parnassianism converts art into craftsmanship, by sticking stringently to form; also, it's linked closely to positivism (philosophical determinism based on the assumption that empirical knowledge is the only form of true knowledge AND is by definition true because it is empirical. So, anything your senses tell you is true, basically, according to Comte and his followers).

Anyway, Gerard Manley Hopkins gives an interpretation of Parnassianism I agree with:
he used the term Parnassian to describe "competent but uninspired poetry, where a talented poet is merely operating on auto-pilot." (quoted from Reference.com. I think his actual wording might not have contained "auto-pilot"...)


As boring and uninspired as it might've been, it was still poetry. :-P







We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
Lady Nyx user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1172 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Dec 08, 18:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

were you listening to elton john on the second one?


"why pay the visit when the visit is free?"
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Dec 08, 08:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Raf wrote:







ThomasQuinn wrote:



Parnassianism converts art into craftsmanship, by sticking stringently to form; also, it's linked closely to positivism (philosophical determinism based on the assumption that empirical knowledge is the only form of true knowledge AND is by definition true because it is empirical. So, anything your senses tell you is true, basically, according to Comte and his followers).

Anyway, Gerard Manley Hopkins gives an interpretation of Parnassianism I agree with:
he used the term Parnassian to describe "competent but uninspired poetry, where a talented poet is merely operating on auto-pilot." (quoted from Reference.com. I think his actual wording might not have contained "auto-pilot"...)



As boring and uninspired as it might've been, it was still poetry. :-P







Perhaps, but it was not, IMHO, art; it was craftsmanship, and nothing's wrong with that, but it remains a category distinct from art.






Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Dec 08, 08:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Lady Nyx wrote:

were you listening to elton john on the second one?

LOL





Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus