Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Innuendo solo - traditional piece or Freddie's idea?

forum rss feed
Author

boca user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 399 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Nov 08, 20:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always wondered that. Though it sounds to me like traditional spanish piece, i read somewhere that it was Freddie's idea. What is correct?

I think I'm banana tree...
Marcelo_argentina user not visiting Queenzone.com
Marcelo_argentina
Bohemian: 219 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 08, 07:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spanish piece?..just because of the spanish guitars?.Not at all..that is Queen idea...

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2391 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 08, 07:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well Steve Howe fromYes played it so he may well have been part of the creative process

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Sebastian user is on Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 08, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The main solo (1-1-1-1-2-3-2-4-3-2-1 transposed in a i > VII > VI > V) is completely Freddie-esque: he always tended to shift hooks in different positions (e.g. Bo Rhap's piano hand-crossing lick, Master-Stroke bass-riff), and the Andalusian cadence'd been used frequently in his own songs (e.g. Liar, Fallen Priest).

Now, the flamenco ornaments could've been Steve's idea, or a teamwork.

The 'traditional' flavour is merely a consequence of the i > VII > VI > V cliché, which is very common in all sorts of music. Non-Queen pieces using the same progression include the fifth movement of Bach's partita for violin, Good Vibrations, The Ketchup Song, Misirlou, etc.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 535 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 08, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

The main solo (1-1-1-1-2-3-2-4-3-2-1 transposed in a i > VII > VI > V) is completely Freddie-esque: he always tended to shift hooks in different positions (e.g. Bo Rhap's piano hand-crossing lick, Master-Stroke bass-riff), and the Andalusian cadence'd been used frequently in his own songs (e.g. Liar, Fallen Priest).

The 'traditional' flavour is merely a consequence of the i > VII > VI > V cliché, which is very common in all sorts of music. Non-Queen pieces using the same progression include the fifth movement of Bach's partita for violin, Good Vibrations, The Ketchup Song, Misirlou, etc.

The Ketchup Song :))

gnomo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 743 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 08, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HTH:

http://queenforum.parlophone.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5008&p=154896&hilit=howe#p154896

Steve Howe (1999): "They played me Innuendo and I go, yeah, heavy metal flamingo! And then Brian says, 'Look, I'd like you play on this,' and I said you're joking, it sounds great, leave it like it is, and he said, 'No no no, I want you to play on it, I want to you to play really fast, I want you to run around the guitar a lot.'"

--

Gnomo

(... any way the wind blows ...)
Bo Alex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Alex
Bohemian: 494 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 08, 18:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Sebastian, your analisys (escuse me for my poor use of English) are great. I remember reading in your site that this Innuendo part was similar to Good old fashioned lover boy too. Isn't it??  

A man who learnt how to teach, but forgot how to learn.

A la grande le puse cuca!!
Sebastian

Posted: 28 Nov 08, 22:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, I meant the (electric guitar) riff, the one that appears before the verses. The melody follows a similar pattern to 'I can dim the light and sing you songs'. As soon as I can, I'll add sheet music to my website. Someday one day...

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 08, 00:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember reading that steve howe said the whole middle section was already written by freddie when he first heard the piece, and That's all steve had to do was play it.  Also brian could have played it, but he thought steve howe would probably do a better Job.

Danne user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 130 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 08, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

No, I meant the (electric guitar) riff, the one that appears before the verses. The melody follows a similar pattern to 'I can dim the light and sing you songs'. As soon as I can, I'll add sheet music to my website. Someday one day...

It's perhaps even more obvious in the little acoustic interlude before "Through the sorrow, all through our splendour".

Sebastian

Posted: 03 Dec 08, 11:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Btw, the song hasn't got any Spanish guitar.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 08, 18:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Steve's guitar was NOT made in Spain.  Confirmed.

Sebastian

Posted: 04 Dec 08, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It wasn't Steve's guitar. It was Brian's guitar, played by Steve.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 08, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That surprises me, considering that Steve has a much more extensive collection...

I would think Steve would have said something like "Hang on a minute, let me go get a Spanish Guitar"

gnomo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 743 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 08, 05:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IIRC, Steve was just visiting at Mountain Studios, where they were recording, and got invited for a listen.

FWLIW

--

Gnomo

(... any way the wind blows ...)
matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2803 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 08, 17:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

where's the bathroom?

"Come tonight! Come to the Overbite! Come See Freddie rock Toniiiiight!"