Forums > Queen - General Discussion > I've been meaning to ask how is there The Who without Keith or John?

forum rss feed
Author

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 20:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Discuss.

kohuept user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 552 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 22:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like mittens!


You just can't beat the reasonably priced mosquito repellant OFF.
Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 22:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pathetic.  You really are bitter.

What does another band have to do with Queen?  For a start, no other band had to try and replace Freddie Mercury.  He was quite an iconic rock star before you were born.

On the other hand, The Who, or what remains of them, have produced critically acclaimed albums like "Endless Wire" that have sold in numbers that put "TCR" to shame.

To put things into perspective, perhaps you should wonder why The Who are still doing massive tours around the world.  The Who headline in the States seemingly whenever they want.

The Who tried to tour Australia in the nineties without Townshend.  It was cancelled.


inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 22:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sarcasm isn't in your pocketbook dictionary then?


Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 22:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You say sarcasm, I say bitterness.

Sorry "TCR" flopped.

You're pathetic for continuously trying to denigrate Queen's legacy in an attempt to give Q+PR a modicum of credibility.


inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 23:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Am I sore about TCR flopping sales-wise? No.

I don't give a shit about sales numbers, honestly.


Would I care if my band's album didn't chart high enough to your standards? No.

I just prefer to have a good time playing the music. Unfortunately people like you don't pay attention to quality, but quantity.


And how many of you naysayers even bother to buy any of Queen's albums legitimately instead of downloading?

Figured not.


Edit: http://www.paulgraham.com/trolls.html


Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 23:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Pathetic.  You really are bitter."
- I thought it was funny. Then again, I have a sense of humor.

"What does another band have to do with Queen?  For a start, no other band had to try and replace Freddie Mercury.  He was quite an iconic rock star before you were born."
- The Who tried to replace Keith Moon, far more iconic a rock star than Freddie.

"On the other hand, The Who, or what remains of them, have produced critically acclaimed albums like "Endless Wire" that have sold in numbers that put "TCR" to shame."
- Endless Wire hardly sold numbers that put TCR to shame. In fact, Endless Wire only hit #9 in the UK, while TCR hit #5. Townshend later grumbled that he was really unhappy with the way that the album sold, and that promotion was pretty terrible. The last "critically acclaimed" Who album was Quadrophenia, over 30 years ago.

"To put things into perspective, perhaps you should wonder why The Who are still doing massive tours around the world.  The Who headline in the States seemingly whenever they want."
- The Who are doing tours in the States because they toured the States every year or so up until they disbanded. Queen gave up on the States in 1982, and the States gave up on them shortly thereafter. Very much a different story.

"The Who tried to tour Australia in the nineties without Townshend.  It was cancelled."
- No they didn't. Townshend said that Daltrey and Entwistle should go on the road as The Who, with Simon Townshend on guitar, but Daltrey refused and Entwistle didn't want to tour with Daltrey as his "boss".


inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 23:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester, glad to see someone other than myself saw the humour in this :-)


Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 23:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote







Lester Burnham wrote:




"The Who tried to tour Australia in the nineties without Townshend.  It was cancelled."
- No they didn't. Townshend said that Daltrey and Entwistle should go on the road as The Who, with Simon Townshend on guitar, but Daltrey refused and Entwistle didn't want to tour with Daltrey as his "boss".



Bullshit, I bought a ticket.  It was promoted and cancelled.  I even got to meet Daltrey on the promotional tour.

I suggest you compare overall world wide sales between "TCR" and "Endless Wire"  Although you're argument may end up looking a little silly

The Who can tour the States whenever they want to because there is a huge market for them, obviously.









inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 23:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Ken8 wrote:















Lester Burnham wrote:







"The Who tried to tour Australia in the nineties without Townshend.  It was cancelled."
- No they didn't. Townshend said that Daltrey and Entwistle should go on the road as The Who, with Simon Townshend on guitar, but Daltrey refused and Entwistle didn't want to tour with Daltrey as his "boss".







Bullshit, I bought a ticket.  It was promoted and cancelled.  I even got to meet Daltrey on the promotional tour.

I suggest you compare overall world wide sales between "TCR" and "Endless Wire"  Although you're argument may end up looking a little silly

The Who can tour the States whenever they want to because there is a huge market for them, obviously.




Have you graduated elementary yet?

Learn to spell "your" correctly, dumbass.


Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 23:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


LOL!  That's rich coming from you!


Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 23:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Lester Burnham wrote:

- The Who are doing tours in the States because they toured the States every year or so up until they disbanded. Queen gave up on the States in 1982, and the States gave up on them shortly thereafter. Very much a different story.


LOL! 

The Who Farewell tour was 81 or 82, despite a few reunion shows like Tommy in 89 until they reformed properly




Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 23:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Bullshit, I bought a ticket.  It was promoted and cancelled.  I even got to meet Daltrey on the promotional tour."
- So what was your initial point? Because Townshend wasn't there?

Here, I did some research. You're partly correct. From http://www.thewho.net/australia/tour.html :

"It was finally gonna happen! Roger and John were coming to Australia with what was being billed as the "Greatest Hits of The Who" tour. Unfortunately many in the media were referring to it as a tour by The Who which would not sit comfortably with most Who fans given the absence of Pete but hey, if it sold more tickets...

Roger and John were to be joined by Zak Starkey on drums and Simon Townshend on guitar but sadly ticket sales were poor, the promoting company went into liquidation, and the tour was cancelled."

So it wasn't billed as The Who until the media did so.


"I suggest you compare overall world wide sales between "TCR" and "Endless Wire"  Although you're argument may end up looking a little silly"
- My is argument is that Endless Wire performed worse in the charts than TCR. Do you have any numbers to back up worldwide sales of Endless Wire vs. TCR? Please show them to me.


"The Who can tour the States whenever they want to because there is a huge market for them, obviously."
- I'm not saying there isn't, and I'm not saying QPR would outsell The Who. I was just answering your question. I saw The Who five times in the US in the past 8 years, including the most recent tour a few weeks ago; I have yet to see QPR. I like TCR, even though it failed to resonate with the general public. Like inu said above, I don't care if it sells 2 million or 200 copies; I like it, that's all that matters to me.


Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Ken8 wrote:







Lester Burnham wrote:



- The Who are doing tours in the States because they toured the States every year or so up until they disbanded. Queen gave up on the States in 1982, and the States gave up on them shortly thereafter. Very much a different story.



LOL! 

The Who Farewell tour was 81 or 82, despite a few reunion shows like Tommy in 89 until they reformed properly



Glad to see you got such a charge out of that! I don't understand what you're disputing.

And The Who's Farewell Tour was in 1982.


inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So far I've yet to see an actual credible piece of constructive criticism from you, Ken, to support why you don't like TCR or the QPR project. Which is typical for trolls, really.

I've offered my constructive views elsewhere, before you decide to accuse me of the same. Don't go thinking that I have 0 complaints or nitpicks about the album. I do, and I expressed it elsewhere on this forum (that is, if you can be arsed to even start looking around without relying on your mother's nipples to guide you along the way)

As quoted from that page I've been linking to about trolls:

The third cause of trolling is incompetence. If you disagree with something, it's easier to say "you suck" than to figure out and explain exactly what you disagree with. You're also safe that way from refutation.

In this respect trolling is a lot like graffiti. Graffiti happens at the intersection of ambition and incompetence: people want to make their mark on the world, but have no other way to do it than literally making a mark on the world.



Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 00:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote







Lester Burnham wrote:



















Ken8 wrote:











































Lester Burnham wrote:















- The Who are doing tours in the States because they toured the States every year or so up until they disbanded. Queen gave up on the States in 1982, and the States gave up on them shortly thereafter. Very much a different story.
















Glad to see you got such a charge out of that! I don't understand what you're disputing.

And The Who's Farewell Tour was in 1982.

So the States gave up on Queen after 82, but not The Who......

Seeing you researched the facts about me being "partly" right re a failed Who Tour, why not disprove my contention that "Endless Wire" has outsold "TCR" too?

It was sold as The Who.  Daltrey said it was his band (to much amusement), but it wasn't the media selling it as The Who, it was Daltrey and Simon Townshend.









Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 00:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



inu-liger wrote:

So far I've yet to see an actual credible piece of constructive criticism from you, Ken, to support why you don't like TCR or the QPR project. Which is typical for trolls, really.

How fucking ridiculous.  You come up with nothing but "Well, I liked it" and crap like "Church Of Freddie" & "Popularity doesn't equal good songs. Never" or some sort of nonsense.

Again, talk about living in fantasyland.

You know, anyone posting comments about "Church On Freddie" crap on a QUEEN FORUM should look a little closer to home when it comes to calling other people Trolls.

Beyond pathetic.  And you claim to be in your twenties??? 


inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's a concept: Instead of relying on others to do your work for you out of laziness, why don't YOU find credible, up-to-date sources to back up your claims regarding record sales figures?


inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 00:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Ken8 wrote:

Beyond pathetic.  And you claim to be in your twenties??? 


How old are you yourself?

Honestly.


Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 01:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Asks the person who can't do any better than label people trolls for sticking to the FACTS!

Just browsing quickly and it appears "TCR" has sold about 250,000 units world wide, which to be fair is better than I would've expected, though still dismal for an international act like "Queen".  To put things into perspective though, "Made In Heaven" appears to have outsold that number, in Hong Kong alone.

Endless Wire sold over 80,000 units in the US alone in it's first week, and by the end of 2006 had sold over 210,000 copies, and that's just in the US remember!


http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:kAZoQAGqfooJ:www.bpi.co.uk/members/pdf/Stats/British_Music_USA_2006.pdf+endless+wire+total+sales&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=23&gl=au&client=firefox-a



There is a valid reason why The Who still headline the States, and why Queen+PR look like they'll be lucky if they score support slot for Journey, if they tour at all.  Don't ever think it's only because I say so.

Let's stick to the facts, as hard as they are for ALL of us to stomach.