Forums > Personal > Jon Stewart corners Mike Huckabee on gay rights & gay marriage

forum rss feed
Author

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 08, 23:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw this on TV last night, and I thought "Oh my God, Jon you are awesome!"

Jon Stewart had Mike Huckabee as a guest on his show last night to promote some new book of his.

In the 2nd part (linked below), Jon touched on the issue of gay rights and gay marriages, and the way he countered Mike's right-wing views on that was just nothing short of brilliant, without bringing it down to immature argumentive levels. He touched on some other issues affecting other minority groups such as Hispanics and whatnot, essentially Elephant In The Room-type subjects, in a way I thought was very hilarious yet true and very thought-provoking.

I never realized what an asshole Mr. Huckabee is.

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xww7EZKgGdU

Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jWoPR2yE1M

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jon Stewart: "People have more of a choice on their religion than they do on their sexual orientation."

Beautiful.

It's infuriating how Huckabee - and so many others like him - feel their beliefs outweigh those of others. And the way it's justified in such arrogant I'm-right-their-wrong terms is so pathetic. Sadly, too many people share this attitude. And mind you, I have no issue with Huckabee's views. My issue is with his desire to push those views onto others.

Thanks for sharing this. I think Jon Stewart was excellent here.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Lady Nyx user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1172 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 15:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i love jon stuart for that reason :D hes very intelligent and handles things very tactfully.

im all about people having their own opnions, so long as they at least try to understnad the other side and dont impose their beliefs on people.

magical, i like the pun you used hehe

"why pay the visit when the visit is free?"
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 08:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Even though I don't consider it a valid reason to oppose gay marriage, at least Mike Huckabee pointed the fact that the only way to anatomically reproduce is by a relationship with a man and a woman. What drives me out of my mind is when people use a religion as an excuse to oppose gay rights.

I'm a Christian, but I definitely want to live in a secular state 100% free of control by any religious organization. If organized churches don't want to marry gay people, that's their choice. However, it's absolutely outrageous that they want to stop the government from giving rights to gay people.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
inu-liger

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

However, it's absolutely outrageous that they want to stop the government from permitting rights to gay people.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 08, 00:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well... it's only a small gaffe, but it counts!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
inu-liger

Posted: 23 Dec 08, 01:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Well... it's only a small gaffe, but it counts!

Oh if only that gaffe were true, my dear :P

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 08, 04:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he used to be good in Simply Red :-p

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 08, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

inu-liger wrote:

Mr.Jingles wrote:

However, it's absolutely outrageous that they want to stop the government from permitting rights to gay people.

Thanks for correcting me, I shall fix it.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]