Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > How about Queen+ George Michael?

forum rss feed
Author

Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 04:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After two world tours, a live album, two live DVDs (and a third on the way) plus a studio album of brand new material, have Queen and Paul Rodgers gone as far as they can go? Just how long is Paul willing to hang with Brian and Roger? Looking at Paul's track record, he doesn't stay with any one group for too long (I'd wager that at the most, there's one more album bearing the Queen+ Paul Rodgers name and they call it a day.)

However let's say that they've decided to bring their boat into port and part ways *now*, who else could Brian and Roger work with?

My humble suggestion is George Michael.

Brian and Roger have always been rockers at heart and they've certainly been able to put it all out there (so to speak) with Paul, allowing them to play at full blast but by Paul's own admission, there are just some Queen songs he can't (or won't) do and unfortunately Queen's more pop oriented material has fallen by the wayside which one could almost describe as tragic. No "Killer Queen," no "Somebody to Love," the list goes on.

Now we all know what George can do with "Somebody to Love" but imagine him bringing (back) to life "White Queen" or hearing some Queen songs performed live for the first time....."The Miracle," "You Don't Fool Me," etc etc. Paul sang material George couldn't possibly do and now perhaps George could be given the opportunity to sing the songs Paul could not.

Brian and Roger gave several of Paul's songs a much needed jolt ("Bad Company," "Feel Like Makin Love") and so they could with George's.

Queen+ George Michael, it seems like a reasonable pairing. What say you?

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 04:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Michael Allred wrote:

Ignoring the comedy goldmine that is the second word, the answer to your question is that it was considered about 15 years ago AND WAS DISCARDED.  Furthermore, GM has just retired from touring, which surely puts him even FURTHER out of the picture.

Still, your postcount's gone up by one, so it wasn't a total waste of bandwidth...

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 05:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

George Michael.....George Michael....................a-WHO?

masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 07:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I feel that Queen+Paul Rodgers have consolidated as a real new band (ignore the name issue for one day please), not another casting/guest artist thing from Brian & Roger...

I think that when Paul leaves the ship, they´re gonna feel again like 91 (saving the differences) and I doubt that Bri and Rog try again with a new singer (George michael for instance)... If Paul stays probably we see them again on tour one more time before their retirements from the stage, but if Paul leaves... is over.

Whatever happens, this journey was amazing for me as a fan, for a lot of reasons... each one of us will have his feelings, but for me, this was amazing and full of great moments in the last 3 1/2 years.. so if it´s over now, I CAN´T COMPLAIN :D

Cheers,

P.

Queen rocks!
Marcelo_argentina user not visiting Queenzone.com
Marcelo_argentina
Bohemian: 219 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 07:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So Killer Queen, Somebody to love and White Queen are Pop songs?????? I thought I want ot break free, Radio Ga Ga, Another one bites the dust were Pop...and we heard those ones from Paul, didn´t we?
Now, with the George Michael theme, I think he is a great singer, you don´t need to be a genius to realized about that, but please be realistic, the guy just can´t sing other songs...imagine for instance George singing Tie your mother down, I want it all, Hammer to fall, One Vision, Headlong, Fat bottom girls, we will rock you, and the list goes on and on...and now try to imagine a Queen concert with out these songs...waht dou you get?..yeah!! you would rather staying at home...

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 11:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

George Michael has ruined himself with drugs too much to sing or peform.     The last thing Queen need is a some self destructive tart.    And this is coming from someone who use to like George Michael...fifteen years ago I must say.

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

Michael Allred wrote:

Ignoring the comedy goldmine that is the second word, the answer to your question is that it was considered about 15 years ago AND WAS DISCARDED.  Furthermore, GM has just retired from touring, which surely puts him even FURTHER out of the picture.

Still, your postcount's gone up by one, so it wasn't a total waste of bandwidth...

As always, I can always count on you to be a total fucking prick for absolutely no reason what so ever. I wonder if someone like you has the balls to say things like that to a person's face in real life or if you're just a total pussy who hides behind a keyboard? Hmm........

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marcelo_argentina wrote:

So Killer Queen, Somebody to love and White Queen are Pop songs?????? I thought I want ot break free, Radio Ga Ga, Another one bites the dust were Pop...and we heard those ones from Paul, didn´t we?
Now, with the George Michael theme, I think he is a great singer, you don´t need to be a genius to realized about that, but please be realistic, the guy just can´t sing other songs...imagine for instance George singing Tie your mother down, I want it all, Hammer to fall, One Vision, Headlong, Fat bottom girls, we will rock you, and the list goes on and on...and now try to imagine a Queen concert with out these songs...waht dou you get?..yeah!! you would rather staying at home... 

Well Roger has sung "Radio Ga Ga" the majority of the time hasn't he? Regardless, most of the Queen material Paul handled was of the rock variety.

and yes, I *know* George couldn't sing "TYMD" so I think you totally missed the point I was trying to make.

Marcelo_argentina

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did I miss the point you were trying to make just beacause I do not agree with you? Let´s try at least to be realistic for one second, this is not a "TYMD" or "white queen" discussion..is it?..tell me a real set list that Queen could play with George, I mean, at least let´s say 25 songs to play alive...Can you make a realistic setlist? I´m talking serious here...then we can discuss it! 

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 13:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Again?

I thought this discussion had gotten too old during the 2005 tour...

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marcelo_argentina wrote:

Did I miss the point you were trying to make just beacause I do not agree with you? Let´s try at least to be realistic for one second, this is not a "TYMD" or "white queen" discussion..is it?..tell me a real set list that Queen could play with George, I mean, at least let´s say 25 songs to play alive...Can you make a realistic setlist? I´m talking serious here...then we can discuss it! 

Well no, you're perfectly free to disagree with me, I've no problem with that at all. It's just that I had already stated that Queen got their "rock fix" (if you will) with Paul but should they want to try the other side of their catalog (that Paul cannot handle, namely the poppy material) then they could hit it up with GM....so saying GM couldn't sing "TYMD" was already made obvious.

Now as for your request of a setlist Brian/Roger could do with GM (and yes, GM has said he wishes to retire....but he's said that before a few years back and what did he end up doing? Touring. People change their minds) here's what they could do (and in no particular order.....)

Somebody to Love
Killer Queen
You Don't Fool Me
The Miracle
White Queen (GM's voice would be beautiful on this I think)
You're My Best Friend
These Are the Days of Our Lives
Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy
Don't Stop Me Now
Play the Game
Save Me
It's A Hard Life
I Want to Break Free
Friends Will Be Friends
Breakthru
Let Me Live
I Was Born to Love You
'39
Love of My Life
Spread Your Wings
Bicycle Race
Dreamers Ball
Calling All Girls
Las Palabras De Amor
Radio Ga Ga

Fair enough?  

Marcelo_argentina

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 14:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That setlist is IMPRESSIVE!!! I must be honest dude,  However nowadays the "Star" of the band is Brian May...and those songs would put  him in the background, and that is why I was telling you about a realistic setlist, that seems to be more like a compiled CD...but sure I would like to see that setlist played in a big stadium, why not.

Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who said that GM can't sing TYMD? Did he ever try? Anyone saw or hear that?
Paul can't sing LOML either.

redspecialusa user not visiting Queenzone.com
redspecialusa
Bohemian: 228 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please, Dear GOD no...I'm elated with the Queen & Paul Rodgers Collaboration. I don't think a collaborative project with George Michael would work. Number 1, he would never do as well as Paul Rodgers has done with interpreting Queen's older material his own way. Number 2, George Michael isn't a rock vocalist...granted he would probably do a wonderful interpreting all of the slower ballads and such. But there are a lot more musical dimensions to Queen than ballads and pop; and respectfully to George Michael because I think he's a good singer with some good songs...Queen + George Michael WOULDN'T WORK!!!

"Let us cling together as the years go by; Oh my love, my love.

In the quiet of the night,

Let our candle always burn;

Let us never lose the lessons we have learned." - Brian May
August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Michael Allred wrote:

Brian and Roger have always been rockers at heart  

I think you just answered your own question here. Brian and Roger chose to work with Paul because he's a rocker as well. Why would a guitarist and a drummer want to play piano/synth driven pop songs anyway?

Mustapha_Ibrahim user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 104 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would second your suggestion 15 years ago. It was indeed a very good idea.
However, I think that by now even Brian and Roger have realised that the continuous use of the Queen name in their new projects will only discredit them. After the modest success of the album, it's time for them to put away the name and get on with their lives.

This doesn't mean that another project with George Michael wouldn't be appreciated. I certainly would be pleased with it.

April user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I`ve already written that if they had GM they would be thought to be doomed to have only gays. No GM, please. I have nothing against gays but won`t it be too much of a good thing?

doxonrox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 182 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 08, 22:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

April wrote:

I`ve already written that if they had GM they would be thought to be doomed to have only gays. No GM, please. I have nothing against gays but won`t it be too much of a good thing?

Who else in the band is gay? And who cares what their sexual orientation is? Other than you, of course. Your homophobia is poorly disguised - as is your ignorance.

Posted: 18 Dec 08, 00:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marcelo_argentina wrote:

That setlist is IMPRESSIVE!!! I must be honest dude,  However nowadays the "Star" of the band is Brian May...and those songs would put  him in the background, and that is why I was telling you about a realistic setlist, that seems to be more like a compiled CD...but sure I would like to see that setlist played in a big stadium, why not.

Oh I dunno, I think it's realistic. I don't feel that Brian considers himself the "star" especially considering Roger's ample time in the spotlight.

Posted: 18 Dec 08, 00:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

redspecialusa wrote:

Please, Dear GOD no...I'm elated with the Queen & Paul Rodgers Collaboration. I don't think a collaborative project with George Michael would work. Number 1, he would never do as well as Paul Rodgers has done with interpreting Queen's older material his own way. Number 2, George Michael isn't a rock vocalist...granted he would probably do a wonderful interpreting all of the slower ballads and such. But there are a lot more musical dimensions to Queen than ballads and pop; and respectfully to George Michael because I think he's a good singer with some good songs...Queen + George Michael WOULDN'T WORK!!!

We have established that George is not a rock vocalist, the whole point of his name being brought up is that GM could sing the songs that Paul could not. I agree there is more to Queen than just ballads/pop but at the same time, there's more to them than just rock music too.