Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Open letter to Queen Archivist/ QPL

forum rss feed
Author

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have been reading the existing 'singles box-set' threads with interest, and hopefully, without regurgutating the same old points, I thought now was the correct time to write this mail to those who may read it with an open mind.

I stress this is my mail - and makes my points.

If others have a different opinion - then that is good - but please start your own threads rather than flame mine.
I also understand that I am not forced or compelled to do anything against my will.
However, I do believe 'some' Queen fans agree with me, and so I thought I would like to articulate these thoughts on both mine (and their behalf). So; if at least one other person agrees with me, please leave a supporting message to show that it has been worthwhile.

For example - I am very lucky, as I own six watches: 

A 'Rolex Perpetual Submariner' which I received as an anniversary present.
A 1947 'Omega Chronometer Classic' which I inherited from my late father-in-law.
An 'Accurist Greenwich Commemorative Limited edition' (which I bought myself)
A '2001 Hamilton Electronic' a friend took back from the USA.
A Queen 'The Works' promo wrist-watch (another present), and finally,
A cheap 'Swatch' men's chronograph - which I wear most of the time.
Now my point is - I am not in the market for another watch.
If anyone wanted to buy me another watch for Christmas - please don't - I have enough.

Spend your money on something much more needed and worthwhile.
Therefore, I do not write this from 'sour grapes'. Nor do I have an axe to grind.

Even if the 'singles box-set' was made from solid gold discs and jewel encrusted sleeves - I would still not be interested.
I do not want it - I do not need it.
It really is that simple - and in today's credit crunch economics and 'environmentally' friendly climate - I think that this message should be heard clear and loud - the 'singles box-set' is a marketing disaster. (As I so eloquently expressed in the past - wrapping sh*t in tinfoil does not make it chocolate!).

Forget all the 'yes-men' mentality and sychophants. (If only someone had the bottle to tell Elvis he was eating too many burgers, or had the guts to say that Ali faught one fight too many - what different tales we could now tell). Might (as history tells us) - does not mean right - and this product is not right on so many levels - and needs to be acknowledged as such.

Spin is for politicians, not buisness men. Queen are now a dying band - and if they think they are immune from the buffeting of the current economic fall-out, they will soon find that like F.W. Woolworths, they too will collapse from corporate incompetence.

I really do not expect any sensible discussion or reply from GB or the 'powers that be', but the main lesson from 'Woolies' is - 'do not deliver - and the public will quickly move on'.

As it is, I have a wallet full of cash and credit cards - but Queen PLC (do not deserve) or will smell one penny of it - and without money, QPL will quickly wither and dry-up.
If QPL want my (or my representative) cash in the future, they better come up with some seriously inventive ideas - or it sounds like the death knell for one of rock's most ingenious and innovative bands.

PS: Yes, I dare say QPL could survive without my single meagre solitary contribution to this project - but like many in here, I feel that my voice is not alone - and in that sense, united we may be able to boycott this sort of tatt in the future. Perhaps then, democracy may return to the paying customer.

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 620 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 12:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bravo.

Unfortunately, the few of us that will ignore this and other "new" releases aren't enough to stop them at QPL from getting their Christmas sales bonuses.

icmrocha (The Man From Planet Marzipan) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 12:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Couldn't agree more, John.. Very well said indeed !

"The years have been unkind...

but kind enough!"
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2152 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with many points made by John S Stuart.

I think NOW is the time for Queen to release something new and really exciting.
If they do not deliver the following years I fear many people will not be interested anymore. It's important to keep the Queen name fresh and that needs a nice release from time to time. Not releasing the same products over and over again.

Thare are still many projects that can happen. Why not release something truly substantial like the BBC set, or a fantastic 70's DVD? Or a box with great things? or A wonderful book about the band?

on my way up
gnomo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 743 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John,

I am no collector, nor completist, nor even proper fan of the band, and I don't have much money anyway, so I wouldn't have bought this set even if it had been true to Greg's original project.

Still, I do agree with you.

I only wish we could have clearer info on the distinctions and boundaries between the company and the band, and how decisional power is distributed.

Because I don't feel it fair that someone should take most of the flack, for someone else's decisions - as it has unfortunately happened often.

But of course I am aware that none of that critical information will ever be made public.

FWLIW

--

Gnomo

(... any way the wind blows ...)
Darren1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 266 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 14:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well done John. If we could only persuade other people here to do the same and not buy this shite and other similar releases we would be doing something worthwhile. But we are in the minority.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I want a watch...

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
John S Stuart

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 15:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DARREN1977 wrote:

Well done John. If we could only persuade other people here to do the same and not buy this shite and other similar releases we would be doing something worthwhile. But we are in the minority.

Thanks for the support guys.
It is nice to be recognised as something other than some weird cult on the outer fringes of the 'zone!

DARREN1977, what makes you think we are the minority?

In the absence of any 'real' verifiable figures, all we have to rely upon is the 'spin' coming out from QPL, and frankly, I really do not hold any confidence in the reliability of QPL as a sole source of information - especially if they need to hi-jack 'Queenzone' to brow-beat us into believing how good this product is  - and how well it has been selling.

Interestingly enough, the following story has been doing the rounds since Sunday:

http://in.news.yahoo.com/43/20081221/908/ten-more-trouble-for-madonna-as-new-sing.html

If established stars like Madonna are finding it hard to shift 'new' product - what gave QPL the arrogant assumption that stamping out a new glut of tired discs (albeit with the Queen logo) would perform any better?

John S Stuart

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

I want a watch...

I will ask my wife for you, but I think she's too prudish...
(Try using fake NY or Italian accent!)

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DARREN1977 wrote:

So you're saying that if we DON'T buy this, QPL is going to release something we will buy?

That's interesting marketing.  I don't think that's ever been tried before.  Usually when a brand stops selling, after countless re-packaging and re-designs, they just stop even trying.

MAKE IT STOP. 
JUST MAKE IT ALL STOP AND GIVE ME SILVER HANGMAN STATE OF SHOCK, studio version.

Ah, that feels much better.  But I'm still probably gonna buy the box set.  If anything, it will force me NOT to buy the Big Country Box Set which is better for us all.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

I want a watch...

I will ask my wife for you, but I think she's too prudish...
(Try using fake NY or Italian accent!)

I have a friend in NY. Would that help? :P

TRS-Romania user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 644 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well said John!

But, do expect a lousy response from Greg (in case he wants to respond)

vadenuez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 263 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 18:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I totally and cheerfully approve of John's post.

There are some sad facts stated by the archivist which have been somewhat bypassed. Mainly the fact that this wasn't QPL suit's (awful) decision, but the band agreed of this too.

"It was the band that decided not to go with the elaborate 10-CD set, not mine."

"The band decided that putting out a Singles Collection which effectively offered 60 or 70% of the album catalogue (when you stop and think about it) was not what they wanted to do at this time. They simply wanted to offer a Singles set, not their life's work."

Sad to say, after reading this I don't see a chance that any anthologies will be released anytime soon.

Reading Princess user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 89 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 19:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice one John.

oh-ja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 225 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 08, 20:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah.

on the way since jazz ...
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 08, 00:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you guys are underestimating human apathy.  Yeah, it sucks that there's no great Queen product coming any time soon, but really; how many people give that much of a toss? Certainly not enough to send a message to the guys up top, at any rate.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 08, 01:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

vadenuez wrote:

.....They simply wanted to offer a Singles set, not their life's work."

Am I reading between the lines?  Does that imply the band considers their body of work as "Queen" is not yet complete?

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2756 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 08, 01:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I used to buy anything with the queen name on it, but not anymore. Those days are over.   I have no desire to spend my money on another greatest hits package,  it's a shame it has come to this. How many 80's concerts do we need on DVD before we get something from the 70's?....I don't even care about that, but this whole singles boxset drives me crazy.  Give us a real boxset with rarities and other goodies.

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6338 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 08, 01:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree John, but I do not believe that Queen/QPL gives a rats ass about customer satisfaction and releasing any significant archive material.  There are several easy excuses as to why archive material will likely never be released: 

• It is just too easy for Queen to ignore the cries of, at most, a few thousand unhappy fans.
  • Queen seemingly has an endless supply of knuckle-headed completist hardcore fans that will buy any piece of shit that has the Queen name on it.
  • Recycled Greatest Hit packages do sell and are cheap to manufacture.
  • The profit margins and return on investment for an archive box set do not compare to a recycled box set of 13 two song CD's ($$ John Deacon).
  • Queen will not release unpolished archive material or imperfect live material from the 70's (Brian).
  • Queen are too lazy to seriously review the work put in by their archivist (Roger).
  • Queen are too hard-headed, and will not allow themselves to be bullied into releasing archive material.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2756 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 08, 01:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Panchgani wrote:

I agree John, but I do not believe that Queen/QPL gives a rats ass about customer satisfaction and releasing any significant archive material.  There are several easy excuses as to why archive material will likely never be released: 

• It is just too easy for Queen to ignore the cries of, at most, a few thousand unhappy fans.
  • Queen seemingly has an endless supply of knuckle-headed completist hardcore fans that will buy any piece of shit that has the Queen name on it.
  • Recycled Greatest Hit packages do sell and are cheap to manufacture.
  • The profit margins and return on investment for an archive box set do not compare to a recycled box set of 13 two song CD's ($$ John Deacon).
  • Queen will not release unpolished archive material or imperfect live material from the 70's (Brian).
  • Queen are too lazy to seriously review the work put in by their archivist (Roger).

I'm not so sure a rarities boxset wouldn't sell,  that's all they need is one interesting unreleased song as a marketing tool (think of the beatles boxset "free as a bird") and The long version of Bo Rhap could be another huge selling point.