Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > "Made In Heaven sessions" in 1991

forum rss feed
Author

aion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 102 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Dec 08, 09:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As we all know, only three songs on the Made In Heaven album were written and recorded post-Innuendo: A Winter's Tale, You Don't Fool Me and Mother Love. Of these, Winter's Tale was written by Freddie, You Don't Fool Me was written by John (as far as I know) and Mother Love was written by Brian and Freddie together. There was a period of about six months when the band worked on new songs, from the end of 1990 when Innuendo was finished to May 1991 when Freddie recorded his last vocal. I remember reading/hearing that Freddie begged the other three to write songs for him to sing; he said something to the effect of, if not exactly: "write me anything and I'll sing it". So, after Freddie pleaded the others to write songs for him, John wrote one song, Brian wrote half a song, and Roger apparently didn't manage to write anything. They were recording for half a year, so were there really only three songs they were working on? Of course they weren't doing new songs all of that time, not even nearly as Freddie just wasn't capable and they were also shooting videos and promoting Innuendo and working on solo projects, but still, it seems strange to me that they were trying to record a new album - or at least do as much new material as possible as that's what Freddie wanted - and yet they had only three songs. Plus Roger's writing block seems quite odd as he had been rather prolific lately, writing music for two bands and creating such big songs within the past year as Innuendo, These Are The Days Of Our Lives and New Dark Ages (by the way am I the only one who thinks that Roger should have given New Dark Ages for Freddie instead of The Cross?). How can it be that your friend, a man basically on his death bed asks you to write songs for him and you won't write one single song, even though you have six months to do that and you've been something of a prolific songwriter lately? Is it possible that there would have in fact been more than three songs the band were working on in 1991, but for whatever reason those songs still haven't been released (maybe they were too incomplete or something)?

ingosuntken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 18 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 08, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perhaps some of the songs were used for "Back To The Light" or "Happiness!?"...........There are probably some songs from these two albums with Freddie on lead vocals in the original version!? Let´s ask Greg Brooks.........

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 08, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'You Don't Fool Me' was written by Freddie and Roger.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 08, 05:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think I read Roger stating once that New Dark Ages was written for Queen but discarded.  Perhaps a Queen demo version exists, like the Too Much Love Will kill You one did from The Miracle sessions??

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 08, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freedom Train has been confirmed by Greg at the Dutch Queen Convention a couple of years back. No idea how similar it sounds to the final version on Happiness, but it was recorded with Freddie.

andreas_mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
andreas_mercury
Royalty: 1068 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 08, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thats total bullshit
his last sessions were in weeks previous to his DEMISE
ask dave richards..........

fucking shit.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 08, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I seriously doubt that Freddie was involved with the writings of Mother Love

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 27 Dec 08, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken wrote:

I seriously doubt that Freddie was involved with the writings of Mother Love

Apparently the song was titled "Moustache Love" until Brian got involved.

bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 08, 19:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

aion wrote:

by the way am I the only one who thinks that Roger should have given New Dark Ages for Freddie instead of The Cross?

I read somewhere that when Roger brought NDA to the "Innuendo" recording sessions John's reaction was something along the lines of: "If you make him sing this I'm leaving!". I happen to agree with Deaky. That song was wrong for Freddie. At that point making social commentary is the last thing he should've been doing. It just wouldn't be right.

And by the way, Roger DID give NDA to Queen. He just reworked it and called eit "These Are the Days of Our Lives".

So there.

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 28 Dec 08, 03:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

Apparently the song was titled "Moustache Love" until Brian got involved.

"I can shave it if you see me cry,
I long for peeeee before I die".

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
aion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 102 posts

Posted: 28 Dec 08, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

andreas_mercury wrote:

thats total bullshit
his last sessions were in weeks previous to his DEMISE
ask dave richards..........

fucking shit.

That's ridiculous, Freddie wasn't in the physical condition to sing only weeks before his death. To be precise his last vocal was on May 22nd 1991.

Lester Burnham wrote:

'You Don't Fool Me' was written by Freddie and Roger.

How do you know this?

bigV wrote:

I read somewhere that when Roger brought NDA to the "Innuendo" recording sessions John's reaction was something along the lines of: "If you make him sing this I'm leaving!". I happen to agree with Deaky. That song was wrong for Freddie. At that point making social commentary is the last thing he should've been doing. It just wouldn't be right.

Maybe you're right - I definitely don't think Freddie should have sung The Also Rans although that was also written by Roger. It should have been a strict no to The Also Rans, and perhaps to New Dark Ages as well. But Freedom Train sounds good; I never knew before that Freddie sang it, but that's a good song and now I wish it would have ended up on Made In Heaven and not on Happiness?. It would have been a good fit on MIH (especially if the lines about romance were removed).

I have another question regarding Made In Heaven: does anobody know how did the band end up reworking Freddie's Made In Heaven song and I Was Born To Love You, and did they consider reworking any other songs instead of these two? It's quite easy to see why they chose to rework the former, but I'd be interested to know if they had another option for the other song.

Posted: 28 Dec 08, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apparently John Deacon did a remix of There Must Be More To Life Than This around 1995/1996. Maybe it was consired for MIH - no idea.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 28 Dec 08, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have another question regarding Made In Heaven: does anobody know how did the band end up reworking Freddie's Made In Heaven song and I Was Born To Love You, and did they consider reworking any other songs instead of these two? It's quite easy to see why they chose to rework the former, but I'd be interested to know if they had another option for the other song.

I've often wondered this - I have read an interview with Brian when the Freddie solo stuff came out in which he says that they have no say in Freddie's solo releases, and no control over the material at all.  I wonder how this tallies with them then covering a couple of Freddie's songs, along with using his vocal on MIH.  I suppose it could be that they just treat it the same as if  they were covering any other artist and just apply for the relevant licences and approvals, but just have a lot more ease in getting hold of the original master tapes!!

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 28 Dec 08, 17:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote:

I've often wondered this - I have read an interview with Brian when the Freddie solo stuff came out in which he says that they have no say in Freddie's solo releases, and no control over the material at all.  I wonder how this tallies with them then covering a couple of Freddie's songs, along with using his vocal on MIH.  I suppose it could be that they just treat it the same as if  they were covering any other artist and just apply for the relevant licences and approvals, but just have a lot more ease in getting hold of the original master tapes!!

Reading between the lines of the original quote (whic I think was in a fan club letter), I think they did a deal - get access to those two tracks in return for not dissing the FM album and associated remixes.

andreas_mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
andreas_mercury
Royalty: 1068 posts

Posted: 28 Dec 08, 21:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

aion wrote:

That's ridiculous, Freddie wasn't in the physical condition to sing only weeks before his death. To be precise his last vocal was on May 22nd 1991.

shows what you know
dirty fucking rat.  he took off when he took off his medication to stop, you see when he stopped taking that meds he had a bit more energy for an even short time and did some more singing.

are you even calling dave richards a liar??  who am i going to listen to - you or him? LOL     game over, freddie was singing after May.      
like they made the these are days of our lives video in May around the date your suggesting, are you going to stand serious face and say that he could stand under studio lights and wear hot makeup, but that he wouldnt be able to sit in a comfy chair and sing????

you are a swine.  dont belittle his achevemets.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 29 Dec 08, 08:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Phoebe also confirms Fred was singing during his last visit to Switzerland in October.

Btw, of course Fred was involved in the writing of Mother Love: Brian's commented a couple of times on how they worked together on an embryonic verse, being their last experience collaborating (they had some more during those days, like Bijou). Moreover, there's the manuscript (missing the last verse), and of course the credits: May/Mercury. When the credit said Queen, you could assume it was a matter of agreement but one of them could've been not involved (e.g. Roger and Party), but when it's a double-credit, in the case of Queen, it's obvious that there's a reason for it.

Now, of course May contributed more to ML than Fred, but that's another story.

And indeed, You Don't Fool Me is Mercury/Taylor. It was John who stopped contributing to the songwriting side after the 80's were over. His only input consisted of co-creating TSMGO sequence with Rog, and re-organising Hitman's structure.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Darren1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 266 posts

Posted: 29 Dec 08, 09:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know i'm off topic a bit, but i am fairly sure that during the recording of Innuendo, John  was apparently absent a lot as "he was on holiday" and that Brian played a lot of his bass parts. Can;t remember where i read it, could have been a tabloid so probably not that accurate but they were quoting Brian. Who knows.

Was there ever any intention to have a follow up to Barcelona or continue on with his idea of a covers album, as he had recorded The Great Pretender.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 29 Dec 08, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's utter pish. John played all the (human) bass parts on the album. Brian's got loads of enviable skills, but playing bass isn't one of them.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 29 Dec 08, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He wrote My Secret Fantasy, right? Okay okay, I wouldn't really call it a masterpiece, but still...

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 29 Dec 08, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

That's utter pish. John played all the (human) bass parts on the album. Brian's got loads of enviable skills, but playing bass isn't one of them.

I couldn't see Brian playing some of the crazy sounding bits in "I'm Going Slightly Mad", put it that way!!

Inasumuch as there's some programmed drums on the Innuendo album though, I could see Brian doing simpler bass stuff.  As I can't recall any at this moment in time, I wouldn't bank on it though.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller