Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > QUEEN ARCHIVIST - a quick question about singles box

forum rss feed
Author

sbrown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 76 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Dec 08, 10:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Greg, and Merry Christmas.
Without wanting to start another QZ war, I am a bit curious about one thing related to the singles box-set -

This box-set is intended to shift somewhere between 10 and 40 thousand. It's a "mass-market" item, that won't necessarily meet the demands of the 1000 or so hard-core fans.
You have already done all the work on a comprehensive singles box-set. I guess it has been decided that this will most likely appeal to the 1000 or so hard-core fans, and not the mass market.
Given the work is done, and the 2 different products are for 2 different audiences, was there ever any consideration given to releasing them both?

Cheers,
Simon

(btw, for those that are interested in this set in Australia, it was available in JB-HiFi last week for $89.95)


Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Dec 08, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Where has this shit about "1000/2000 harcore fans" come from? Do people really think that only 2,000 are familiar with the bands back catalogue or buy literally anything with the Queen name on it?! Apparently "they" won't issue stuff like Hyde Park/Rainbow/Earls Court because they want to sell more than 2000 copies. If they were even to only issue this stuff via the website, demand would be WELL over 2000 and they know it.

The fact that (according to Greg Brooks) QPL only want to produce items that cater for people that aren't even familiar with well known album tracks such as Ogre Battle and Tenement Funster (both albums are still in print.... go figure) tells you all you need to know where they're coming from. And actually... how pro-shot gigs do they have where they don't play ANY well known singles? None?! Even Rainbow '74 in edited form has Now I'm Here and Killer Queen! In essence Queen are marketed as an 80's pop band as opposed to a 70's ROCK band.

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Dec 08, 12:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Negative Creep wrote:

Where has this shit about "1000/2000 harcore fans" come from? Do people really think that only 2,000 are familiar with the bands back catalogue or buy literally anything with the Queen name on it?! Apparently "they" won't issue stuff like Hyde Park/Rainbow/Earls Court because they want to sell more than 2000 copies. If they were even to only issue this stuff via the website, demand would be WELL over 2000 and they know it.

The fact that (according to Greg Brooks) QPL only want to produce items that cater for people that aren't even familiar with well known album tracks such as Ogre Battle and Tenement Funster (both albums are still in print.... go figure) tells you all you need to know where they're coming from. And actually... how pro-shot gigs do they have where they don't play ANY well known singles? None?! Even Rainbow '74 in edited form has Now I'm Here and Killer Queen! In essence Queen are marketed as an 80's pop band as opposed to a 70's ROCK band.



I understand fans are frustrated, as a die-hard fan I'm frustrated too. They could release more fantastic stuff than they do.

BUT, it's absolutely not the case they do not want to release something like Hyde Park'76 (hint hint)






on my way up
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Dec 08, 05:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Negative Creep wrote:

Where has this shit about "1000/2000 harcore fans" come from? Do people really think that only 2,000 are familiar with the bands back catalogue or buy literally anything with the Queen name on it?! Apparently "they" won't issue stuff like Hyde Park/Rainbow/Earls Court because they want to sell more than 2000 copies. If they were even to only issue this stuff via the website, demand would be WELL over 2000 and they know it.

The fact that (according to Greg Brooks) QPL only want to produce items that cater for people that aren't even familiar with well known album tracks such as Ogre Battle and Tenement Funster (both albums are still in print.... go figure) tells you all you need to know where they're coming from. And actually... how pro-shot gigs do they have where they don't play ANY well known singles? None?! Even Rainbow '74 in edited form has Now I'm Here and Killer Queen! In essence Queen are marketed as an 80's pop band as opposed to a 70's ROCK band.




This is a very good point.  In any given month you can look through the pages of a magazine such as 'Classic Rock' or 'Record Collector' and see 'lesser' acts than Queen, and lesser labels than EMI, releasing archive DVDs and/or CDs on a regular basis that just cannot shift as many copies as something from Queen that might even only be aimed at the 'fans'.

I think that the fact that the Freddie box set came out in the £100/10 disc set for collectors, and then later a slimmed down 3 CD set for the general public completely negates all of Greg's arguments for not doing this for Queen also, as surely a set with rarities etc.. from Queen would outsell a Freddie solo one that was deemed commercially iable enough for release?




Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Dec 08, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



cmsdrums wrote:

This is a very good point.  In any given month you can look through the pages of a magazine such as 'Classic Rock' or 'Record Collector' and see 'lesser' acts than Queen, and lesser labels than EMI, releasing archive DVDs and/or CDs on a regular basis that just cannot shift as many copies as something from Queen that might even only be aimed at the 'fans'.


What's the market for a Marillion boxset these days?  Released recently on EMI....







Gregs Mis-shapen Penis user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gregs Mis-shapen Penis
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Dec 08, 15:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hey.... leave him alone!

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2239 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 08, 06:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The boxsets are supposed to be limited to 10,000 copies worldwide.
1700 people downloaded "C-lebrity" when it I uploaded the first UK radio air-play of it back in August (?) and I'm sure there are more than 1700 people who come to QZ.
For the sake of argument, Queen have lost in a fraction of a second, nearly a fifth of the sales they could have had for that boxset.
Sure, all 10,000 copies will no doubt sell, but when a potential 1500 people cry "we're not buying that rubbish, it's not what we were promised", instead of thinking "so what?", QPL should have been thinking "Bugger. We could have gone with the original idea and produced another couple of thousand, and we'd STILL have sold them all"

If they are only making 10,000 copies, doesn't that tell you that they don't expect to sell many.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 08, 06:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A quick question for the record: has Greg *ever*  responded to a thread addressed to him? Has he in fact *ever* posted anything other than complaints, insults and self-pity?



Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Darren1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 266 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 08, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A definite NO Thomas

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 08, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



ThomasQuinn wrote:



A quick question for the record: has Greg *ever*  responded to a thread addressed to him? Has he in fact *ever* posted anything other than complaints, insults and self-pity?


Therein lies the problem Thomas.

GB: 706 posts - and not one positive reply among any of them.
It really does beg the question - what has the archivist ever done for Queenzone?




"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 08, 11:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He's given me a good laugh every now and then, that's for sure.


thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Dec 08, 04:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Pim Derks wrote:

He's given me a good laugh every now and then, that's for sure.

So has Treasure Moment. Should we make him a Queen Productions spokesman then?



Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus