Forums > Queen - General Discussion > F***ING WAL_MART using We Will Rock You!!!

forum rss feed
Author

Brighton_Rocker user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brighton_Rocker
Champion: 63 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 08, 20:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its abysmal misuse...anybody seen it yet ?


i am infact the son of satan,

although my duties here are strictly

ceremonial
Reading Princess user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 89 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 08, 20:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do Brian and Roger not have a say in this?

«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» user not visiting Queenzone.com
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤»
Bohemian: 479 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 08, 21:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No I haven't.. what has Wal-mart done??



¥~Ït’š iñ thë LåÞ øf thè Gódš~¥
Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 08, 21:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



clear wrote:

Do Brian and Roger not have a say in this?


I'm sure May has said in the past they get all sorts of requests to use their songs, so you'd imagine they would have.

After Crazy Frog, nothing surprises me.






Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 08, 21:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saw it last night...  What's the big deal?  It's not as bad as THIS. [img=/images/smiley/msn/tounge_smile.gif][/img]

Brighton_Rocker user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brighton_Rocker
Champion: 63 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 08, 23:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Viagra add dosent bother me as much as wal-mart


i am infact the son of satan,

although my duties here are strictly

ceremonial
Brighton_Rocker user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brighton_Rocker
Champion: 63 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 08, 23:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wal mart is using the song to promote some kind of grocery frenzy...or something its hard to make out through all the red i see when i comes on.


i am infact the son of satan,

although my duties here are strictly

ceremonial
Queenfan213 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenfan213
Champion: 65 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Dec 08, 02:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The WWRY Guitar Solo plays, basically.


"I never tie my own shoelace, I mean never. It's just not the thing done in rock and roll!"
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» user not visiting Queenzone.com
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤»
Bohemian: 479 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Dec 08, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Brighton_Rocker wrote:

wal mart is using the song to promote some kind of grocery frenzy...or something its hard to make out through all the red i see when i comes on.




      Just wondering why it bothers you so much Brighton_Rocker? I always think its kind of cool whenever Queen songs are used in movies, or commercials. Its really more like a promotion tool for the band.(Don't be fooled that they're not getting some kind of monies for using their songs..I'm sure they had to be approached and the company had to get permission). If it were me and my band, and my songs were wanted for commercials or movies I would be honored really.





¥~Ït’š iñ thë LåÞ øf thè Gódš~¥
Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Dec 08, 11:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After Crazy Frog, nothing surprises me.


You mean Britney?

At least it wasn't Warboys.


The people stay sweet! user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Dec 08, 11:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sensing that your disapproval is because you think that this is some sort of 'selling out'. If it is, just remember that Queen and its memebers are the kings of the sell out...that's what makes them so good isn't it? To quote but a few...
1) BW & RT record a version of WWRY with the dog-turd of a boy band '5ive'.
2) RT writes a song about how terrible Rupert Murdoch is, and appears on a Sky interview outside his house complete with a Sky dish attached.
3) I Want It All used to sell sofas for SCS in UK.

...but isn't this why we love them. Everything they do entertains us, whether it be on purpose or by accident, and don't even pretend that they're interested in being taken seriously.

Miss Valentine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 32 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Dec 08, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



The people stay sweet! wrote:

I'm sensing that your disapproval is because you think that this is some sort of 'selling out'. If it is, just remember that Queen and its memebers are the kings of the sell out...that's what makes them so good isn't it? To quote but a few...
1) BW & RT record a version of WWRY with the dog-turd of a boy band '5ive'.
2) RT writes a song about how terrible Rupert Murdoch is, and appears on a Sky interview outside his house complete with a Sky dish attached.
3) I Want It All used to sell sofas for SCS in UK.

...but isn't this why we love them. Everything they do entertains us, whether it be on purpose or by accident, and don't even pretend that they're interested in being taken seriously. 



LMFAO. This post made me laugh, and it's perfectly true.
The only point I disagree on is the fact that you said the band isn't interested in being taken seriously...Brian tends to get very defensive about his sellouts, and kisses the asses of whomever he soldout to. Take the Britney Spears one. He comments on his blog, at one point or another, that she's a great musician, and he feels sorry for her becoming so trashy. Let's get real, Brian: Britney Spears is not a great musician, and she's always been somewhat trashy. Brian is defending her only because he's worked with her, and because he takes what he does seriously. That's the only point I disagree on.
Are their sellouts entertaining? Absolutely. Queen never fails to amuse me in one way or another. But are they not interested in being taken seriously? No, I'd say they're interested in keeping their reputations up.






MarstoMercury_123
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» user not visiting Queenzone.com
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤»
Bohemian: 479 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Dec 08, 18:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Miss Valentine wrote:







The people stay sweet! wrote:



I'm sensing that your disapproval is because you think that this is some sort of 'selling out'. If it is, just remember that Queen and its memebers are the kings of the sell out...that's what makes them so good isn't it? To quote but a few...
1) BW & RT record a version of WWRY with the dog-turd of a boy band '5ive'.
2) RT writes a song about how terrible Rupert Murdoch is, and appears on a Sky interview outside his house complete with a Sky dish attached.
3) I Want It All used to sell sofas for SCS in UK.

...but isn't this why we love them. Everything they do entertains us, whether it be on purpose or by accident, and don't even pretend that they're interested in being taken seriously. 




LMFAO. This post made me laugh, and it's perfectly true.
The only point I disagree on is the fact that you said the band isn't interested in being taken seriously...Brian tends to get very defensive about his sellouts, and kisses the asses of whomever he soldout to. Take the Britney Spears one. He comments on his blog, at one point or another, that she's a great musician, and he feels sorry for her becoming so trashy. Let's get real, Brian: Britney Spears is not a great musician, and she's always been somewhat trashy. Brian is defending her only because he's worked with her, and because he takes what he does seriously. That's the only point I disagree on.
Are their sellouts entertaining? Absolutely. Queen never fails to amuse me in one way or another. But are they not interested in being taken seriously? No, I'd say they're interested in keeping their reputations up.





 Interesting how you personally know why Brian is defending her. Did you and him have a conversation about that?







¥~Ït’š iñ thë LåÞ øf thè Gódš~¥
Miss Valentine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 32 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Dec 08, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» wrote:



 



Miss Valentine wrote:



 



 



 



 



The people stay sweet! wrote:



 



I'm sensing that your disapproval is because you think that this is some sort of 'selling out'. If it is, just remember that Queen and its memebers are the kings of the sell out...that's what makes them so good isn't it? To quote but a few...
1) BW & RT record a version of WWRY with the dog-turd of a boy band '5ive'.
2) RT writes a song about how terrible Rupert Murdoch is, and appears on a Sky interview outside his house complete with a Sky dish attached.
3) I Want It All used to sell sofas for SCS in UK.

...but isn't this why we love them. Everything they do entertains us, whether it be on purpose or by accident, and don't even pretend that they're interested in being taken seriously. 



 




LMFAO. This post made me laugh, and it's perfectly true.
The only point I disagree on is the fact that you said the band isn't interested in being taken seriously...Brian tends to get very defensive about his sellouts, and kisses the asses of whomever he soldout to. Take the Britney Spears one. He comments on his blog, at one point or another, that she's a great musician, and he feels sorry for her becoming so trashy. Let's get real, Brian: Britney Spears is not a great musician, and she's always been somewhat trashy. Brian is defending her only because he's worked with her, and because he takes what he does seriously. That's the only point I disagree on.
Are their sellouts entertaining? Absolutely. Queen never fails to amuse me in one way or another. But are they not interested in being taken seriously? No, I'd say they're interested in keeping their reputations up.





 Interesting how you personally know why Brian is defending her. Did you and him have a conversation about that?





No need to get sarcastic. I was just expressing my interpretation of Brian's actions. :) Just smile.








MarstoMercury_123
vessel user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 74 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Dec 08, 22:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah I seen the tv spot the other day. This is something I got in my e-mail at the beginning of the month from someone who is in the Queen and Paul Rodgers street team for the TCR album...

-According to HR, " Here's a piece of exciting news for fans - there's going to be pretty major promotion with WalMart starting Dec 30 which will feature Queen music both on TV and in stores, with a couple of titles to be featured."   If this promo is anything like the promo that was done for AC/DC and their exclusive album with WalMart, TCR could be in good shape.

I have seen nothing in the stores for Queen, the only difference is the store in our town moved the 1992 U.S Greatest Hits from Hollywood Records to the top self. So it seems at least for now WWRY is only being used on tv for walmart ads.

Darren1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 266 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Jan 09, 12:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen will probaby sell a couple million more copies of Classic Queen due to this, so they win anyway.Good luck to 'em

QueenTaylor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3881 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Jan 09, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh yes, I caught that the other day :)



"May you all have champagne for breakfast." (: http://theroyalqueenspad.queenzone.com/
Roma Freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
Roma Freddie
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Jan 09, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



The people stay sweet! wrote:

I'm sensing that your disapproval is because you think that this is some sort of 'selling out'. If it is, just remember that Queen and its memebers are the kings of the sell out...that's what makes them so good isn't it? To quote but a few...
1) BW & RT record a version of WWRY with the dog-turd of a boy band '5ive'.
2) RT writes a song about how terrible Rupert Murdoch is, and appears on a Sky interview outside his house complete with a Sky dish attached.
3) I Want It All used to sell sofas for SCS in UK.

...but isn't this why we love them. Everything they do entertains us, whether it be on purpose or by accident, and don't even pretend that they're interested in being taken seriously. 



you mouth is full of sh**.

Queen have integrities and self beliefs. They have not fooled us but have given us all of their energy and fitness over 20 years. I and my friend and family have taken them seriously and always will have.






ciao

Chicken Feed baby!

Fried Chicken!
Brighton_Rocker user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brighton_Rocker
Champion: 63 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jan 09, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» wrote:



 



Brighton_Rocker wrote:



wal mart is using the song to promote some kind of grocery frenzy...or something its hard to make out through all the red i see when i comes on.





      Just wondering why it bothers you so much Brighton_Rocker? I always think its kind of cool whenever Queen songs are used in movies, or commercials. Its really more like a promotion tool for the band.(Don't be fooled that they're not getting some kind of monies for using their songs..I'm sure they had to be approached and the company had to get permission). If it were me and my band, and my songs were wanted for commercials or movies I would be honored really.




Its not thst it bothers me that walmart is using the track...Its the over exposure of the song.
Its the sheer unorignality (is that a word?) of it.
Christ, use something else for a change...Use Kashogis Ship (yeah i said it) or Good Company. ya know something not in the mainstream be bold and get some lesser known songs out there.
anyway thats just my oppnion....

ps I doubt honoring Queen was the last thing on walmarts mind when they aquired the song







i am infact the son of satan,

although my duties here are strictly

ceremonial
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» user not visiting Queenzone.com
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤»
Bohemian: 479 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jan 09, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Brighton_Rocker wrote:







«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» wrote:











 







Brighton_Rocker wrote:







wal mart is using the song to promote some kind of grocery frenzy...or something its hard to make out through all the red i see when i comes on.









      Just wondering why it bothers you so much Brighton_Rocker? I always think its kind of cool whenever Queen songs are used in movies, or commercials. Its really more like a promotion tool for the band.(Don't be fooled that they're not getting some kind of monies for using their songs..I'm sure they had to be approached and the company had to get permission). If it were me and my band, and my songs were wanted for commercials or movies I would be honored really.




Its not thst it bothers me that walmart is using the track...Its the over exposure of the song.
Its the sheer unorignality (is that a word?) of it.
Christ, use something else for a change...Use Kashogis Ship (yeah i said it) or Good Company. ya know something not in the mainstream be bold and get some lesser known songs out there.
anyway thats just my oppnion....

ps I doubt honoring Queen was the last thing on walmarts mind when they aquired the song







    I can see where your coming from.






¥~Ït’š iñ thë LåÞ øf thè Gódš~¥