Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen movie?

forum rss feed
Author

k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 535 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 09, 15:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sadly the idea of making a Freddie Mercury biopic seems to have been abandoned (at least I haven't heard any news on the subject in, like, two and a half years), but after "Mamma Mia's" success a similar production about Queen wouldn't be a surprise. What do you think?

steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 09, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anything is possible.  But I wouldn't hold your breath.  I guess the idea of a We Will Rock You movie is more possible than a Freddie Mercury movie.  I only say this because a movie about Freddie Mercury would be very sensitive -- it would be a movie that would be open to a lot of criticism and speculation.  If done wrong, it could very easily give the man a bad reputation.


"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» user not visiting Queenzone.com
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤»
Bohemian: 479 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 09, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Steven wrote:

Anything is possible.  But I wouldn't hold your breath.  I guess the idea of a We Will Rock You movie is more possible than a Freddie Mercury movie.  I only say this because a movie about Freddie Mercury would be very sensitive -- it would be a movie that would be open to a lot of criticism and speculation.  If done wrong, it could very easily give the man a bad reputation.



    Sorry, Steven not really understanding your point about the movie being open to a lot of criticism just because its about Freddie Mercury.  His life is pretty well an open book. Yes, and I'm sure some people don't like who he was, and what he represented. No different than any other movie that has been done about Rock bands and Stars, For e.g: Tommy, Walk the Line, The Buddy Holly Story, The Doors, The Rose,(which depicts Janis Joplin's life)  etc.. etc.. I think a movie about his life would be totally embraced. Don't you realize the following Freddie Mercury has?







¥~Ït’š iñ thë LåÞ øf thè Gódš~¥
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 09, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IMO, WWRY is more likely.


"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 09, 18:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course I realize the following behind Freddie Mercury.  I am one of his followers after all.  Granted, I respect your opinion, Mrs. Bad Guy.  I just feel that a movie about Freddie Mercury could go wrong very easily.  The supposed script writer was rumoured to want to focus on his sexual conquest rather than his musical pursuit.  Now, I have no problem with the incorporation of his sexuality on the big screen, but if that were to be the focus and main element I would find it in bad taste.  The man was much more than his homosexuality.  Therefore, I feel that this movie could go wrong very easily.  I'm not saying that it will if it's produced, but it is open to pitfalls -- and the band knows this, I'm sure.  I trust that they would pick the ideal script writer and director.  And I also trust that the rumor told was a fake.  After all, this is Queenzone we're talking about, lots of untrue bullshit is discussed and worried about.


"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» user not visiting Queenzone.com
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤»
Bohemian: 479 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 09, 22:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Steven wrote:

Of course I realize the following behind Freddie Mercury.  I am one of his followers after all.  Granted, I respect your opinion, Mrs. Bad Guy.  I just feel that a movie about Freddie Mercury could go wrong very easily.  The supposed script writer was rumoured to want to focus on his sexual conquest rather than his musical pursuit.  Now, I have no problem with the incorporation of his sexuality on the big screen, but if that were to be the focus and main element I would find it in bad taste.  The man was much more than his homosexuality.  Therefore, I feel that this movie could go wrong very easily.  I'm not saying that it will if it's produced, but it is open to pitfalls -- and the band knows this, I'm sure.  I trust that they would pick the ideal script writer and director.  And I also trust that the rumor told was a fake.  After all, this is Queenzone we're talking about, lots of untrue bullshit is discussed and worried about.


    I understand your concerns Steven, but I highly doubt, that if his life were to be made into a movie it would be poorly cast or directed and become some low budget fiasco. I also don't think it would strictly be focusing on his sexual orientation. It would be a part of the movie, to some degree. He kept that a secret until he was on his deathbed, despite the rumors. I'm quite sure Brian and Roger would have a lot of say with a project of these proportions. They would not let their frontman be abused or misdirected in anyway, I'm certain.







¥~Ït’š iñ thë LåÞ øf thè Gódš~¥
steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 09, 22:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I both share and appreciate your doubt, Mrs. Bad Guy.  Here's hoping the movie will be put into production!


"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
Bohemian MAY-niac/Deaconite user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 09, 01:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would love to see a "We Will Rock You" movie. Something tells me that I may never get the chance to see the stage musical, so if they put out a movie, that'll be great.

As for the Freddie biopic, that would be neat to see as well. But, I'm too afraid that it may turn out to portray Freddie as someone that he wasn't. Whoever writes the script may only focus on his Sexuality and things that we, the fans, do not need to know about. Know what I mean? I'd rather see a feel good movie about a man whose extremely talented and loves what he does. Not a movie with a script based around Sex and scandal.


I love John Deacon and Brian May!!!
steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 09, 01:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



Bohemian MAY-niac/Deaconite wrote:



I'd rather see a feel good movie about a man whose extremely talented and loves what he does.



Unfortunately, some people might find that to be a bit too boring.







"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 09, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Steven wrote:

Of course I realize the following behind Freddie Mercury.  I am one of his followers after all.  Granted, I respect your opinion, Mrs. Bad Guy.  I just feel that a movie about Freddie Mercury could go wrong very easily.  The supposed script writer was rumoured to want to focus on his sexual conquest rather than his musical pursuit.  Now, I have no problem with the incorporation of his sexuality on the big screen, but if that were to be the focus and main element I would find it in bad taste.  The man was much more than his homosexuality.  Therefore, I feel that this movie could go wrong very easily.  I'm not saying that it will if it's produced, but it is open to pitfalls -- and the band knows this, I'm sure.  I trust that they would pick the ideal script writer and director.  And I also trust that the rumor told was a fake.  After all, this is Queenzone we're talking about, lots of untrue bullshit is discussed and worried about.


I agree, i think they should leave that idea and not make a film about freddie, it would be hard to do it right as he was such a special person, also very private.







Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 09, 07:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks God that the idea of making a Freddie Mercury biopic seems to have been abandoned!

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 09, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^

Agreed.


"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 09, 11:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



Treasure Moment wrote:



 



 



 



 



Steven wrote:



 



Of course I realize the following behind Freddie Mercury.  I am one of his followers after all.  Granted, I respect your opinion, Mrs. Bad Guy.  I just feel that a movie about Freddie Mercury could go wrong very easily.  The supposed script writer was rumoured to want to focus on his sexual conquest rather than his musical pursuit.  Now, I have no problem with the incorporation of his sexuality on the big screen, but if that were to be the focus and main element I would find it in bad taste.  The man was much more than his homosexuality.  Therefore, I feel that this movie could go wrong very easily.  I'm not saying that it will if it's produced, but it is open to pitfalls -- and the band knows this, I'm sure.  I trust that they would pick the ideal script writer and director.  And I also trust that the rumor told was a fake.  After all, this is Queenzone we're talking about, lots of untrue bullshit is discussed and worried about.



 



I agree, i think they should leave that idea and not make a film about freddie, it would be hard to do it right as he was such a special person, also very private.






I think you may have missed the point of my ramblings.  Just to clarify, I do think they should put together a movie about Freddie Mercury.  I was just pointing out that there are pitfalls.







"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 09, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote




If done wrong, it could very easily give the man a bad reputation.


He was over-the-top gay, toured the NY gay club scene, wore leather pants, and died of AIDS.



What kind of reputation do you think he has right now?  St. Freddie?



steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 09, 12:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



Micrówave wrote:



 



 



 



 



 


If done wrong, it could very easily give the man a bad reputation.


He was over-the-top gay, toured the NY gay club scene, wore leather pants, and died of AIDS.

 



 



 



 



 



What kind of reputation do you think he has right now?  St. Freddie?



 



 



 



I didn't know those things gave someone a bad reputation.  I was merely explaining that if his sexual conquest is the focus of the movie, then it would give off an inaccurate representation of Freddie Mercury.  People would get the incomplete personality of Freddie Mercury, therefore giving him the wrong reputation.  I understand that 'bad' might have been too strong of a word.







"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 535 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 09, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There always might be pitfalls. Freddie was a very controversial person after all! But it makes it more of a challenge for film-makers to portray him properly. Observing how much attention Freddie still gets and how praised he is all over the world, not only for his art, I don't think a bad movie would change a lot in this matter. If QPR project didn't ruin Queen's legacy why should a Freddie biopic ruin the memory of him?
As far as WWRY-based movie is concerned, I think it would just be a typical commercial production, which wouldn't even attempt to reveal any new facts about the band, but if successful, would result in another revival of Queen's music, just like it happened with Abba.
IMO, a Freddie biopic is much more of a challenge for film-makers and could result in something really special, while a Queen movie is much more predictable and probably less risky from commercial point of view.
Queen was known for taking risks.

Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jan 09, 09:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was never gonna be made anyways.All that talk about Johnny Depp playing Freddie was all just a load of bollocks anyway.

You've more chance of Russell Brand playing Freddie than JD.


I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx
joe90 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jan 09, 00:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Micrówave wrote:



 



 


If done wrong, it could very easily give the man a bad reputation.


He was over-the-top gay, toured the NY gay club scene, wore leather pants, and died of AIDS.

 



 



What kind of reputation do you think he has right now?  St. Freddie?



 



Let's not forget he was a habitual cocaine user.

I dont know why you'd want to sweep these aspects of his life under the carpet anyway. If you we're making a movie about him, then you'd want it to be representive of who he actually was, worts and all.  Unfortunately, Freddie had a few habits that eventually cost him his life. It would be remiss of any film maker not to provide representation of these aspects.






Crisstti user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crisstti
Bohemian: 186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jan 09, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» wrote:



 



Steven wrote:



Anything is possible.  But I wouldn't hold your breath.  I guess the idea of a We Will Rock You movie is more possible than a Freddie Mercury movie.  I only say this because a movie about Freddie Mercury would be very sensitive -- it would be a movie that would be open to a lot of criticism and speculation.  If done wrong, it could very easily give the man a bad reputation.




    Sorry, Steven not really understanding your point about the movie being open to a lot of criticism just because its about Freddie Mercury.  His life is pretty well an open book. Yes, and I'm sure some people don't like who he was, and what he represented. No different than any other movie that has been done about Rock bands and Stars, For e.g: Tommy, Walk the Line, The Buddy Holly Story, The Doors, The Rose,(which depicts Janis Joplin's life)  etc.. etc.. I think a movie about his life would be totally embraced. Don't you realize the following Freddie Mercury has?





But a huge part of that following would not like at all anything in relation to his sexuality.  Most people are somewhat homophobic at least...








"All you need is love"
joe90 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Jan 09, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Crisstti wrote:



 



«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» wrote:



 



 



 



 



Steven wrote:



 



Anything is possible.  But I wouldn't hold your breath.  I guess the idea of a We Will Rock You movie is more possible than a Freddie Mercury movie.  I only say this because a movie about Freddie Mercury would be very sensitive -- it would be a movie that would be open to a lot of criticism and speculation.  If done wrong, it could very easily give the man a bad reputation.



 




    Sorry, Steven not really understanding your point about the movie being open to a lot of criticism just because its about Freddie Mercury.  His life is pretty well an open book. Yes, and I'm sure some people don't like who he was, and what he represented. No different than any other movie that has been done about Rock bands and Stars, For e.g: Tommy, Walk the Line, The Buddy Holly Story, The Doors, The Rose,(which depicts Janis Joplin's life)  etc.. etc.. I think a movie about his life would be totally embraced. Don't you realize the following Freddie Mercury has?





But a huge part of that following would not like at all anything in relation to his sexuality.  Most people are somewhat homophobic at least...






That's their problem. Freddie was what he was. It was part of his lifestyle. No need to omit this just because of some ignoramuses.