Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Does Paul sing any Queen Songs Better than Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Matt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 107 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jan 09, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 09, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes all from TCR.

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 09, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

XD

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 09, 14:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

According to Russian edition of 'Rolling Stone' it was 'Bo Rhap'. And no, they were seriously. I wonder if the guy who wrote it ever bothered himself to attend the show.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 22 Jan 09, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

According to Russian edition of 'Rolling Stone' it was 'Bo Rhap'. And no, they were seriously. I wonder if the guy who wrote it ever bothered himself to attend the show.

I remember a good Twilight Zone episode about someone who did that...The Misfortune Cookie.

pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 09, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Call me a heretic, but I prefer Radio Ga Ga and WATC sung by Paul. And maybe some more

clifton user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 09, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No.... although due to less risk taking vocally than Fred (Live) I would say Paul is at less risk of tuning problems. Plus paul only sings for around 3 quarters of a gig, Personally i prefer Freds awesome power and risk taking. Also Fred was far more versitile as a vocalist....

TELMO user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 7 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 09, 17:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Call me a heretic, but I prefer Radio Ga Ga and WATC sung by Paul. And maybe some more

Radio Ga Ga? A song that Paul wasn't able to learn? Have you heard and watched the Live Aid version?

We Are The Champions? Paul should sing the chorus without using 4 voices of others, and then, we could compare...

«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» user not visiting Queenzone.com
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤»
Bohemian: 479 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 09, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Absolutely NOT!

¥~Ït’š iñ thë LåÞ øf thè Gódš~¥
QueenSite user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1191 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 09, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paul is a great singer, but of course he can't beat Freddie when it comes to Queen songs.

http://utenti.lycos.it/queensite02

Please visit my site devoted to Queen! Lots of rare pix and memorabilia featured!
Bo Alex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Alex
Bohemian: 494 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 09, 18:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Heretic!!! [img=/images/smiley/msn/tounge_smile.gif][/img]

I don't think so. But unless I think Rodgers is a good singer, I don't like his style. In the other hand, I love Freddie style.

A man who learnt how to teach, but forgot how to learn.

A la grande le puse cuca!!
Marcelo_argentina user not visiting Queenzone.com
Marcelo_argentina
Bohemian: 219 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 09, 20:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, He does not!!!!

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 09, 23:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I heard him do Millionaire Waltz once, he was way better than Freddie.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 09, 01:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Better than Freddie pre-1982? No way. Better than Freddie post-1982? Hell yeah. I don't think Tie Your Mother Down has ever sounded this good in the last 25 years.

pittrek

Posted: 23 Jan 09, 04:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TELMO wrote:

pittrek wrote:

Radio Ga Ga? A song that Paul wasn't able to learn? Have you heard and watched the Live Aid version?

We Are The Champions? Paul should sing the chorus without using 4 voices of others, and then, we could compare...

Radio Ga Ga - yes, I've heard the Live Aid version, why ? You're right that Paul forgot the lyrics too many times but still I prefer his voice in this song. Roger's version sounds the best however.

WATC - yes, you're right, it's not fair to compare it since Paul sings it with backup

pittrek

Posted: 23 Jan 09, 04:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

Better than Freddie pre-1982? No way. Better than Freddie post-1982? Hell yeah. I don't think Tie Your Mother Down has ever sounded this good in the last 25 years.

I can only agree with this, even when I think they play TYMD too slow now

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 09, 05:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hummmmmm ..... "thiiis iiis a trickyyyy situaaatioooooooon ... " [img=/images/smiley/msn/wink_smile.gif][/img]

I see Pitrrek´s point, and agree in some ways. I love Freddie, we all love Freddie, Freddie was amazing, even when his voice was not at its best, only his stage presence, power and charisma made him unbeatable !

BUT .... (I´m gonna be called Heretic #2 now), when I listen to Paul singing TSMGO, for instance, the first time I heard his line "Still stays oooooon!" I thought "WOW!!", and the same with the "rich or poor ..." line in HTF ... and the same with the WATC chorus (wich sounded really awful w/o Paul bringing the high note in 2005, as Rog´s voice isn´t the same as in 1986 - and he was Freddie´s support in this song). Paul has been hitting the high notes in the WATC chorus during TCR Tour, not Jaimie, Spike or Danny ....

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 09, 06:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I totally disagree about WATC. For me it's a winner song, a fist-in-the-air "take that " song but Paul Rodgers turns it into a whining, male Mariah Carey type (why sing one note when I can sing seven) song which I loathe. For similar reasons I dislike the slow HTF version Brian introduced in 1998. One of the most powerful Queen rock songs turned into a depressive, whining loser song.

I do not want any google ads here.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 23 Jan 09, 06:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

clifton wrote:

No.... although due to less risk taking vocally than Fred (Live) I would say Paul is at less risk of tuning problems. Plus paul only sings for around 3 quarters of a gig, Personally i prefer Freds awesome power and risk taking. Also Fred was far more versitile as a vocalist....

Versatility ok, but Freddie taking risks, vocally? Perhaps in the studio, when he knew that he could re-do the take, but not live.

Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 09, 07:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

I totally disagree about WATC. For me it's a winner song, a fist-in-the-air "take that " song but Paul Rodgers turns it into a whining, male Mariah Carey type (why sing one note when I can sing seven) song which I loathe. For similar reasons I dislike the slow HTF version Brian introduced in 1998. One of the most powerful Queen rock songs turned into a depressive, whining loser song.

Agree 100% :)

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.