Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Freddie's ethnicity issue ?

forum rss feed
Author

cageyvet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jan 09, 21:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello all from Canada eh!

I apologize if this topic is redundant - I just signed up to the site.

I have been reading much about Freddie lately and it seem that he elouded the subject of his india origins.  It has been speculated that he downplayed his past out of fear that it might affect record sales etc...

As a Canadian of Indian origin I wonder why Freddie would not be proud of his ethnicity.  I don't think anyone would care less about stuff like that.................

Cheers,

scaramouche this!
Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 09, 02:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cageyvet wrote:

I have been reading much about Freddie lately and it seem that he elouded the subject of his india origins.  It has been speculated that he downplayed his past out of fear that it might affect record sales etc...

As a Canadian of Indian origin I wonder why Freddie would not be proud of his ethnicity.  I don't think anyone would care less about stuff like that.................

Cheers,

Hey, I'm from India too(I live in Calcutta). We may never know why he understated his Indian heritage but he's not the only one.
Barack Obama for instance is half-black and half-white, but he self-identifies as solely "African-American". Most Parsis I've known considered themselves Indian but I'm pretty sure you could find a few who still cling to their Persian roots, mainly the conservative ones. One of my former girlfriends(a Parsi) was taught Avestan prayers by her grandparents while she was young(she was damn hot). Her family visited Zoroastrian ruins in Iran annually and considered it their rightful homeland.

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 09, 06:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*dp*

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 09, 06:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie was very fond of his privacy in general.
He never was voluntairily open about things he considered private and I suppose his roots fell in that cathegory as well. 
Same as with his sexual orientation - Freddie never felt he needed to be the one 'to wave the flag'. Doesn't mean he purposely covered it up though.

Bo Alex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Alex
Bohemian: 494 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 09, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jjeroen wrote:

Freddie was very fond of his privacy in general.
He never was voluntairily open about things he considered private and I suppose his roots fell in that cathegory as well. 
Same as with his sexual orientation - Freddie never felt he needed to be the one 'to wave the flag'. Doesn't mean he purposely covered it up though.

I second that. I don't think he denied to be an indian or parsi. He just didn't talk about this or his sexual orientation. I never heard him saying: "I'm not an indian!! I'm English!!" or something like this.

A man who learnt how to teach, but forgot how to learn.

A la grande le puse cuca!!
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 09, 13:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why would he be indian. He was born in Zanzibar.

That would make him Zanzibarian. Or English, since it was part of the Brittish Empire when Freddie was born

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 09, 21:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken wrote:

Why would he be indian. He was born in Zanzibar.

That would make him Zanzibarian. Or English, since it was part of the Brittish Empire when Freddie was born

cageyvet is a Canadian. With Indian origins. Freddie was "English", with Parsi origins. We're talking about ethnicity, not the place where you're born. Same thing was discussed elsewhere.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 09, 02:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only issue Freddie had with ethnicity was that he hated blacks.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
bobo the chimp

Posted: 25 Jan 09, 09:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not making it up.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 09, 10:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie was a racist because he never came out saying, "I'm not racist".

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
bobo the chimp

Posted: 25 Jan 09, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactly.

Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 09, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cageyvet wrote:

Cheers,

he wasnt indian, he was iranian=persian.

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

cageyvet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 09, 22:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://mr-mercury.co.uk/Sunday_Times_Nov_96.htm

scaramouche this!
Treasure Moment

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 01:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

funny how the guy in the article is trying to force the image of freddie as an iranian when he is 100% iranian, his enthicity, genetics is iranian.

Freddie Mercury is God

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Flush_Gurdun user not visiting Queenzone.com
Flush_Gurdun
Champion: 78 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

The only issue Freddie had with ethnicity was that he hated blacks.

You really are getting boring as fuck. We all get it. You like little one-liner "shock" statements. Do you know that apart from these little shit jokes, you contribute nothing else at QZ anymore? Think about it. All those posts and just pissy little remarks about gays, blacks, aids etc... and all so someone can pull you up for being offensive! You're not though. We all know you're not. We know you're just kidding, but change the fucking record mate, let people have at least one chat without you throwing in you're garbage little statements.

I know I don't have to comment/read your replies and i know you don't mean anything by them, but seriously, you're not known for anything else but these shit little replies anymore and I've been here a long time. It's expected of you every time now and you take the bate. Why not try be funny another way, instead of just pretending to the new guys that your offensive.

Sorry for the rant everyone.

PS... I bet you could actually be quite funny too... I saw you're YouTube post with the American idol "big red" guy where you put Freddie's voice over him and it had me in stitches, but you must see how repetitive you've got on here?

bobo the chimp

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Flush_Gurdun wrote a lot of crap

It's just like your sort to waltz into an in-joke and then not see it as such... 

bobo the chimp

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Flush_Gurdun wrote:

I know I don't have to comment/read your replies and i know you don't mean anything by them, but seriously, you're not known for anything else but these shit little replies anymore

What planet are you living on?  "Not known for anything else"?  Jesus, crack a window...  Queenzone is not the world. 

I started to keep a running tally of positive vs. negative mail about a year ago, more or less as a direct result of a comment just like yours and guess what dude...   you're part of a minority.  You'd do well to turn your attention to SomebodyWhoLoves or Treasure Moment.  If you start following me around the forum and playing Policeman, you'll just wind up looking silly.

PS.  It's spelled B-A-I-T.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As if "TM and the Iranian Conspiracy" wasn't bad enough...

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Treasure Moment

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

As if "TM and the Iranian Conspiracy" wasn't bad enough...

its no conspiracy, freddie was 100% iranian FACT.

Freddie Mercury is God

April user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So what is Freddie`s ethnicity? I am confused now, guys...