Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > QPR What's in store for 2009

forum rss feed
Author

Hitman1965 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hitman1965
Bohemian: 247 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jan 09, 05:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi

Just finished reading two very interesting articles on Brian's site just put on today -

Check out the following:

THE SHOW MUST GO ON - BRIAN MAY INTERVIEW
and 'HE WILL ROCK YOU' PAUL RODGERS INTERVIEW

both found at: http://www.brianmay.com/whatsnew.html

Interesting that we haven't had a lot of new news recently and now we have these two interviews.  Reading between the lines is there anything worth picking up from these two articles?  Personally, not sure.  Sounds like business as usual. 

I do like the part in Brian's interview where he talks about Freddie and also offers some insight in to their current line up:

What would you say are the main differences between Paul and Freddie?

Rhythmically, it’s very different, because Paul always interprets the rhythm as well as the melody.  Freddie was an instinctively on-the-beat kind of guy, and his piano playing was rivetingly percussive at times and his singing was the same ... it was like a machine gun.  Paul is interpreting as he goes so we have to really be quite strong to provide the backdrop that he needs.  But we’ve all learned a lot – we’ve come a lot more towards Paul’s way of thinking, and he’s come a lot more towards ours, so we’ve met in the middle in many ways.
Freddie was incredible.  He was a master-craftsman who was always coming up with ideas, but he was never selfish and always giving as a performer.  You know, it takes a lot of skill to be able to improvise and be loose on stage and not lose people that you’re playing with.  He was wonderful in involving us in anything he wanted us to do, picking up on what we were giving and also communicating with the audience.  He was the most fantastic channel – like a transparent lightning rod, really.  He was riveting as a live performer and as a frontman and the frontman is the channel through which the energy of the band connects with the audience, and I would have to say, he was perfect in that.


As ever all the guys do seem very busy at the moment with just getting along with life but do hope that they continue on with developing some new material or tour appearances. Times change, and things move on.  I do get the feeling that none of them will be forced in to any quick decisions and/or announcements about future plans.

It's probably quite cool to just be able to do your own thing and let the rest of us debate what's coming next if anything at all?





justys user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jan 09, 06:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read this interview with Brian about week ago. And yes very interesting. But I haven't read interview with Paul before and what he says about Queen is very optymistic. It sounds like he still enjoys the whole thing:

Do you think that Queen & Paul Rodgers will now turn into a longer-term partnership or will you call it a day once you’ve finishes touring this album?
When I first sang with them, I thought, ’wow, here’s two fantastic musicians and they’ve looked after the name and the legacy tall the way ‘til now, and all they need is a singer.’  It’s a huge challenge to step into that, but I feel good about it, because I’m playing with superb musicians who respond to what I do, and I respond to what they do.  I’m very excited about this whole thing.  So we’ll see where this takes us know.

I think they will write some more together but not now, they surely deserve a break. Just give them a time...

Hitman1965 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hitman1965
Bohemian: 247 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jan 09, 06:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



justys wrote:

I read this interview with Brian about week ago. And yes very interesting. But I haven't read interview with Paul before and what he says about Queen is very optymistic. It sounds like he still enjoys the whole thing:

Do you think that Queen & Paul Rodgers will now turn into a longer-term partnership or will you call it a day once you’ve finishes touring this album?
When I first sang with them, I thought, ’wow, here’s two fantastic musicians and they’ve looked after the name and the legacy tall the way ‘til now, and all they need is a singer.’  It’s a huge challenge to step into that, but I feel good about it, because I’m playing with superb musicians who respond to what I do, and I respond to what they do.  I’m very excited about this whole thing.  So we’ll see where this takes us know.

I think they will write some more together but not now, they surely deserve a break. Just give them a time...

Totally agree with your final comment.  So many people on the forum seem to want the whole Paul Rodgers thing to just die out which I feel would be a very depressing situation.  People need to put the current situation in to perspective.  At this stage in their lives/careers they have no great insentive to tour/record materials like some type of production line.  I don't think they do what they do for the money any longer - more to do with simply enjoying what they like doing best in life.  I like the way that Brian refers to the current situation as more of a long term affair instead of a marriage.  As long as everyone's having a good time and no one is being disadvantaged then I can't see any reason why we won't see some new tour dates and or recording sessions at some point.

From a personal point of view I'd like to see them produce at least one more album together just to show those that want to knock the current line up that they are serious about their current musical intentions.  That and I personally feel that we've had some really good music from QPR over the last 12 cmonths.

I'm happy to be patient and let them run their careers/lives just how they want.  So many people here and on other forums seem too keen to hammer nails in to the QPR coffin. I've recently being watching a lot of older concert recordings from the Freddie era and it is still really outstanding the vocal range and musical ability Freddie had.  Unfortunately things are what they are and Freddie's no long around. 

Paul working with Roger and Brian creates a new unique experience which I find equally enjoyable.  Just because I like vanilla icecream doesn't mean that I have to have it every day of my life.  Paul's brought a unique mix to the Queen sound and I think it is great to have the opportunity for their careers/muscial output to reach new places.





thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jan 09, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Hitman1965 wrote:







Paul working with Roger and Brian creates a new unique experience
which I find equally enjoyable.  Just because I like vanilla icecream
doesn't mean that I have to have it every day of my life.  Paul's
brought a unique mix to the Queen sound and I think it is great to have
the opportunity for their careers/muscial output to reach new places.

Are you calling Freddie vanilla?





(RELAX! It's a joke!)












"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jan 09, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

although you can choose whether you call this a Queen album or not (laughs).


Thanks Brian. Now I'm more confident to say that it's not.

Hitman1965 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hitman1965
Bohemian: 247 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jan 09, 03:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



 



 



Thunderbolt wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



Hitman1965 wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



Paul working with Roger and Brian creates a new unique experience
which I find equally enjoyable.  Just because I like vanilla icecream
doesn't mean that I have to have it every day of my life.  Paul's
brought a unique mix to the Queen sound and I think it is great to have
the opportunity for their careers/muscial output to reach new places.



 



 



 


Are you calling Freddie vanilla?





(RELAX! It's a joke!)











Excellent!  Hadn't put it in to this context.  Can you just imagine what Freddie would have said if someone had described him as vanilla ice cream?  Maybe I should have picked Fresh Strawberry for my analogy? This could start a new trend: if you or someone famous had to be an ice cream would flavour would it be?






cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jan 09, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now I know that there has been a lot of speculation and rumour, but I have recently had it confirmed to me from a music industry insider that Queen and Paul Rodgers "came to blows" (to quote how I heard it), and that their relationship is definitely over.

Now I know there will be a lot of people who will not believe this without knowing the source (and even then may not choose to), but I cannot disclose the name of my source - i will only say that he is highly reputable, is a member of a multi million selling band, knows the guys personally, and told this face to face so it's not a case of chinese whispers.

I am sure that others will also say that if this is true then why have they continued to say that at present they are just on a break and talked as if the colaboration is a going concern?  This is because they are simply being professional, courteous, and showing sensible business acumen.

If they do do something else together then it wil be because they will have settled their differences and not because this story is wrong - as I type this, Q&PR are definitely over.

justys user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jan 09, 18:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe you...really...and by the way I forgot to tell you I'm a very close friend of Brian May and he told me the same. And he didn't even have to, I've seen them having a huge argument after their last concert..and Paul said he would never sing any Queen song again and...and yes everybody can write bullshit as you can see. Come on I don't know what you want to achieve...really there are many better things to do than writing rubbish on this forum...And your last sentence says all...you're fool that's all I want to say. Whatever will happen next with QPR and whatever happend between them during recent tour I'm sure you're the last person who would know it (as we all). They will keep it private don't you think?  Now they're having their holidays... Nobody's sure what will happen so stop this speculation. And all the bullshit.  Only the band can confirm what they're going to do next. You're right only about one thing...nobody will believe you so stop wasting you're time. I'm not gonna waste any more of my time to talk with people like you. And why can't you just stop all this "QPR, what next? "and etc. They've just done a huge tour. And it's obvious they will have a longer break. And some people want them to announce the next tour right now..you know they're human too just like we are and they have their families and lives...and really they don't have to do it any more they have enough money I'm sure. If they want to do another tour they will do it mainly becouse they love it. They'e pure musicans who have fun on stage. And if they decide to stop  will you blame them or what? I will be happy of what they've done. QPR exists since 2005. And now we have 2009 yes? So they've colaboreted for a long time...of course I would love them to tour once again in the future but if not..it's not the end of the world. And I'm sure if they quit it won't be becouse of argument between them or something like that  but becouse of not having enough fun with QPR or just becouse they decide they want to spend the rest of their lives mainly at home with families (like John). But assuming from some of the recent interviews with them they don't want to stop...but again we can't be sure. All they say it's maybe. So I write it once again give them a time...

redspecialusa user not visiting Queenzone.com
redspecialusa
Bohemian: 228 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 01:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



cmsdrums wrote:

Now I know that there has been a lot of speculation and rumour, but I have recently had it confirmed to me from a music industry insider that Queen and Paul Rodgers "came to blows" (to quote how I heard it), and that their relationship is definitely over.

Now I know there will be a lot of people who will not believe this without knowing the source (and even then may not choose to), but I cannot disclose the name of my source - i will only say that he is highly reputable, is a member of a multi million selling band, knows the guys personally, and told this face to face so it's not a case of chinese whispers.

I am sure that others will also say that if this is true then why have they continued to say that at present they are just on a break and talked as if the colaboration is a going concern?  This is because they are simply being professional, courteous, and showing sensible business acumen.

If they do do something else together then it wil be because they will have settled their differences and not because this story is wrong - as I type this, Q&PR are definitely over.


Who are you talking to? Taylor Hawkins??!! I don't want you to answer, because you have someone's confidence to protect. However for MY sake (I'm going to be selfish once and say), I hope you're wrong. And this being part of the giant rumor mill that Queen & Paul Rodgers is a bunch of bullshit. I really do...







"Let us cling together as the years go by; Oh my love, my love.

In the quiet of the night,

Let our candle always burn;

Let us never lose the lessons we have learned." - Brian May
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 07:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd just like to add that I am not one of the Paul Rodgers haters trying to 'stir' it.  I saw both tours (inc Brixton 05), have bought the album, and both UK and Japanese DVDs. 

My post history on anything Q&PR related will tell you that I am pleased they did it, if only to get 'Queen' on record and on the road again - I love some elements of Paul Rodgers, and dislike others.  (I'm not overly keen on most of The Cosmos Rocks if the truth be known).   My post history will also tell you that I am (hopefully) a sound and reasoned fan/poster of some years, and not one to 'sensationalise' or jumps on bandwagons.

I just presented the fact of what I have heard, and didn't give any personal opinion on it - as far as I know it's just how things are.

It wasn't Taylor Hawkins - but is somebody that we will all know of. I really don't want to say anymore.

Let the slagging of me re-commence then!

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 08:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was it Treasure Moment by any chance [img=/images/smiley/msn/tounge_smile.gif][/img]


Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2392 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 08:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can you share what they came to blows about?

It should be noted that Freddie, Brian, Roger and John often came to blows as well, didn't mean it was over. Fingers crossed it's not.


"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 09:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great news to start my week.


dobo user not visiting Queenzone.com
dobo
Bohemian: 899 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 10:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I doubt its true but if it was I reckon will be someone like spike, jamie or danny



Visit The Official Kings of Queen Myspace Which I Run: http://www.myspace.com/kingsofqueenfanpage



Trade List: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56176
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 12:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have it on good authority that it wasn't Brian and Roger versus Paul Rodgers, but in fact, Brian, Roger, and Rodgers versus Spike Edney. Spike mentioned something about not enough brown smarties and tiny sandwiches and, without warning, the rest of the band just unleashed hell on him. Or something.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Holly2003 wrote:

I have it on good authority that it wasn't Brian and Roger versus Paul Rodgers, but in fact, Brian, Roger, and Rodgers versus Spike Edney. Spike mentioned something about not enough brown smarties and tiny sandwiches and, without warning, the rest of the band just unleashed hell on him. Or something.


Very good - can't beat a bit of 'Tap'!! [img=/images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif][/img]






Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



cmsdrums wrote:



 



Holly2003 wrote:



I have it on good authority that it wasn't Brian and Roger versus Paul Rodgers, but in fact, Brian, Roger, and Rodgers versus Spike Edney. Spike mentioned something about not enough brown smarties and tiny sandwiches and, without warning, the rest of the band just unleashed hell on him. Or something.



Very good - can't beat a bit of 'Tap'!! [img=/images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif][/img]




Indeed. [img=/images/smiley/msn/wink_smile.gif][/img] [img=/images/smiley/msn/thumbs_up.gif][/img]








"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The quote function on Queenzone is seriously annoying.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
justys user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't believe anything of it because everybody can write things like that...I will wait untill someone from the band say something about the future. This discussion it's really boring the same was after their tour in 2006...nothing new and really waste of time.

redspecialusa user not visiting Queenzone.com
redspecialusa
Bohemian: 228 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



cmsdrums wrote:

I'd just like to add that I am not one of the Paul Rodgers haters trying to 'stir' it.  I saw both tours (inc Brixton 05), have bought the album, and both UK and Japanese DVDs. 

My post history on anything Q&PR related will tell you that I am pleased they did it, if only to get 'Queen' on record and on the road again - I love some elements of Paul Rodgers, and dislike others.  (I'm not overly keen on most of The Cosmos Rocks if the truth be known).   My post history will also tell you that I am (hopefully) a sound and reasoned fan/poster of some years, and not one to 'sensationalise' or jumps on bandwagons.

I just presented the fact of what I have heard, and didn't give any personal opinion on it - as far as I know it's just how things are.

It wasn't Taylor Hawkins - but is somebody that we will all know of. I really don't want to say anymore.

Let the slagging of me re-commence then!


I apologize if you think I was trying to slag you. As you've probably surmised, I'm pretty upset about their 'alleged' splitting, out of frustration I could call you a lying sack of shit if I wanted to, but how could I debunk what you know? And second, what would be the point of arguing over something that neither of us are happy about? Peace.







"Let us cling together as the years go by; Oh my love, my love.

In the quiet of the night,

Let our candle always burn;

Let us never lose the lessons we have learned." - Brian May