Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Phenomonal bass

forum rss feed
Author

ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 675 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jan 09, 05:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Out of sheer boredom, stuck on GH1 DVD last nite
Struck by JD's amazing bass playing - have to say it kinda passed me by b4 - just listen to the lines in Bicyclce Race, YMBF, Save ME - the guy's an unsung genius!
Any bass players have an opinion?

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 09, 06:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He's brilliant.  His absence is almost deafening on the new album.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 09, 07:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John was/is an excellent bass player and much under-rated.  Alas, no front page of Bass Player for him.  Passed by again.  Millionaire Waltz, Dead on Time...so many tunes that would just be empty if he hadn't been there. 

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
Al TurHao user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 09, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cool, Anagramer.
Better late than never. ;)

Being a Scolar when it comes to Queen...
Al TurHao user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 09, 07:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Most of the polls magazines/radios/etc do, everything is biased because of the "fan factor". It's the explanation why, for instance, in the "Best Bass Player" polls you get Roger Waters and Paul Mccartney in top positions. How silly - to say it the least - that is. Don't get me wrong, Macca and Waters are pure genius as far as my opinion goes, but as composers and musicians in general terms. Not in terms of bass. (Pink Floyd's trickiest bass parts were usually recorded by David Gilmour, and Macca is a good bass player, as he is a good pianist and guitarrist and.. well, you name it).

Now, back to the topic, I simply love John Deacon's work: discrete but omnipresent. I feel sad for most of the band's choice of programmed stuff in the 80's, regardind bass and also drums (most of the drums you think are drums.. well.. there are not).
That musical approach you get from John Deacon, John Paul Jones, John Entwhistle, Cliff Hugo (just listen to his playing in the live recording of Supertramp's "It was the best times") is as good as bass playing should be.

Some might point Flea from Red Hot Chilli Peppers. He's got excelent tecnique, but he doesn't turn me on. It's the same reason why i prefer a single bending of David Gilmour to those "28 notes per second" tappings of Joe Satriani....

Thanks for reading. Cheers.

Being a Scolar when it comes to Queen...
Bo Alex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Alex
Bohemian: 494 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 09, 11:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John is a genius. HIs basslines, specially in the 70s, are brilliant. They are so melodic: You're my best friend, The millionaire waltz, Jealousy, Play the game and many others.

A man who learnt how to teach, but forgot how to learn.

A la grande le puse cuca!!
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 09, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bo Alex wrote:

John is a genius. HIs basslines, specially in the 70s, are brilliant. They are so melodic: You're my best friend, The millionaire waltz, Jealousy, Play the game and many others.

Yes but many of those could've been composed by somebody else. John played (and probably still plays) well because his approach was correct, not because the lines were interesting - those are totally different matters.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 01:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Mr. Deacons playing, but To be honest I don't think he was a genious bass player.  I always looked at John as an underated songwriter/bass player, but still not a  brilliant one.  He is missed on the new album, and I disagree with the poster who said the 80's wern't good for him.  I think the game,  hot space, and the miracle were all solid albums for Johns playing,  Though I agree,  roger taylor was not a very good drummer in 80's IMO.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Bo Alex wrote:

Yes but many of those could've been composed by somebody else. John played (and probably still plays) well because his approach was correct, not because the lines were interesting - those are totally different matters.

There is no such thing as "correct" or "incorrect" in music.

"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making
love. There are simply different ways of doing it."
   - (Man Ray, 1948 essay, "To Be Continued, Unnoticed".)

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 09:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are 2 kinds of musicians: the musicians and these that like to show off. Vai is a brilliant guitarist, but I'd take Gilmour over him anytime, any song. Makes me remember of a pathetic guitar player called Janick Gers, of Iron Maiden. All he does is swing his guitar around his neck and make faces. Fortunately, Adrian Smith is back.
Flea is a very talented bass player, but it seems that all he can do is the same stuff. It works for his band, but would it work elsewhere?
In polls, people tend to quote always the same names, even being fans or not. This is why Kurt Kobain still wins something.

oh-ja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 225 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marcos Napier wrote:

Flea is a very talented bass player, but it seems that all he can do is the same stuff. It works for his band, but would it work elsewhere?

hopefully we will see soon - the faces reunion tour ahead ...

on the way since jazz ...
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So, uh, any Bass players have an opinion?

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

So, uh, any Bass players have an opinion?

Ranges from bass player to bass player, as is usual in human beings.

joe90 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 09, 20:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John Deacon, John Enstlewine, Jon Paul Jones, John McVie.

Lets face it. You want you're kid to be a great bassist. Call them John. Even the girls.

"Liar" live 74. John and bass playing at it's best.

Posted: 27 Jan 09, 01:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marcos Napier wrote:

There are 2 kinds of musicians: the musicians and these that like to show off. Vai is a brilliant guitarist, but I'd take Gilmour over him anytime, any song. Makes me remember of a pathetic guitar player called Janick Gers, of Iron Maiden. All he does is swing his guitar around his neck and make faces. Fortunately, Adrian Smith is back.
In polls, people tend to quote always the same names, even being fans or not. This is why Kurt Kobain still wins something.

Janick Gers, I remember him. the bad maiden years IMO.  

Posted: 27 Jan 09, 02:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

joe90 wrote:

Lets face it. You want you're kid to be a great bassist. Call them John. Even the girls.

If deacon was truly an all time great player his name would be mentioned more often, though He's still a good one.  breakthru has some nice bass lines.

joe90 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 09, 03:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

joe90 wrote:

If deacon was truly an all time great player his name would be mentioned more often, though He's still a good one.  breakthru has some nice bass lines.

Jesus. I guess Britney must be the greatest singer alive then going by that reasoning.

Dont be so insecure. Is he a great? Who the fuck knows. All i know is that i enjoy listening to his basslines over most others. Therefore, he's great to me.

It's not a contest.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 27 Jan 09, 06:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

joe90 wrote:

You seem to be one of those people who believe that something is good when many people think it is. That's a fallacy. Good or bad art depends on inherent characteristics of the work of art, the public's opinion has absolutely nothing to do with it.

kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 554 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 09, 14:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As Joe90 says:
Is he a great? Who the fuck knows. All i know is that i enjoy listening to
his basslines over most others. Therefore, he's great to me.

Good point. For me one of the few where i follow a bassline the whole song! A joy 2 listen 2!

Same as Freddie.. probably there are better singers out there, but for me He is god!

Legy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 433 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 09, 17:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm a bassist and I don't think JD was the best bassist around. He's solid, that's for sure. But he is no John Entwistle or John Paul Jones. I saw The Who play live back in a few years ago, before The Ox passed away. He put on a five minute bass solo which to be honest is the best bass solo I've ever heard in my life. It was quite a humbling experience. I thought I was good, but my God, Entwistle was THE best bassist I've ever scene live.

Although Deacon wasn't the best bassist of his time, his song writing speaks for itself. A very solid bassist with superb writing abilities.