Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The Torpedo Twins suck!!!

forum rss feed
Author

Bo Alex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Alex
Bohemian: 494 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Feb 09, 10:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe this was discussed before, escuse me. But I have watched several times stuff like Rare Live, Champions of the world and Magic Years and these guys really suck. I mean, they always have so much mistakes with dates, Rare Live with the dates, the retrospective sequency in the begining of Champios of the world, the interviews in black and white from COTW which say "1973", but they are from 1977, and many more). I don't understand too much about Cinema or documentaries or whatever you called it (sorry for my english too), but I can realise that these guys are not at the level of a band like Queen.

In my opinion, the only good thing they've done is the "I'm going slightly mad" video. What do you think??

A man who learnt how to teach, but forgot how to learn.

A la grande le puse cuca!!
Dane user not visiting Queenzone.com
No strings attached!
Dane
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 09, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Suck they do...

The official filmed videos are pretty ok, but only due to Queen being there.
All that edited crap is terrible and lacks in any creativeness.
I could do better in one evening (having access to the original videos).

ow well, they still have a chance to redeem themselves by making a nice video for the upcoming DVD releases.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Queen Visual Library (www.qvl.nl)
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 09, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dane wrote:

ow well, they still have a chance to redeem themselves by making a nice video for the upcoming DVD releases.

I'm sure there's a polio victim out there somewhere who could do a better job with his nose.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 09, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Many times I cringe watching they way how they edit some of the videos.

I few weeks ago I was watching 'The Untold Story' and there's so much cheesy stuff in there, which is a shame because it should be an insightful documentary. I rolled my eyes when they had those shots of India when Freddie was at Boarding School in Bombay, and they were playing 'Mustapha' in the background music.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 09, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bo Alex wrote:

Maybe this was discussed before, escuse me. But I have watched several times stuff like Rare Live, Champions of the world and Magic Years and these guys really suck. I mean, they always have so much mistakes with dates, Rare Live with the dates, the retrospective sequency in the begining of Champios of the world, the interviews in black and white from COTW which say "1973", but they are from 1977, and many more). I don't understand too much about Cinema or documentaries or whatever you called it (sorry for my english too), but I can realise that these guys are not at the level of a band like Queen.

In my opinion, the only good thing they've done is the "I'm going slightly mad" video. What do you think??

Well the best Queen-related documentaries are done always by somebody else (Killer Queen , Classic Albums ...)

But to be fair - you must realize that Queen had terrible mess in their archives, a lot of unlabelled material. That's why they employed an Archivist

Marcelo_argentina user not visiting Queenzone.com
Marcelo_argentina
Bohemian: 219 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 09, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I absolutely agree Bo Alex..I never understood how "The torpedo twins"  could last so many time with Queen...I mean...they are total disaster as professionals...How Could Brian -being so perfectionist- let them keep on working on  Queen related material??'...Another mistery....

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 09, 14:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marcelo_argentina wrote:

I absolutely agree Bo Alex..I never understood how "The torpedo twins"  could last so many time with Queen...I mean...they are total disaster as professionals...How Could Brian -being so perfectionist- let them keep on working on  Queen related material??'...Another mistery....

Yeah. Kinda wish I didn't spend as much on my "Rare Live" & "Queen Rocks" Laserdiscs.....I don't think it was worth the near $100-ish US I spent on the both of them at the time, in hind sight. Should have been able to pay less than half that much, but oh well.

Maybe they had something implemented in their business dealings that ensured they would do a lot of work with Queen over time...who knows.

To be fair, they've been getting a *bit* more better lately. I was watching the bonus Hungary backstage documentary DVD (bonus with SLIJ), and I actually enjoyed it, which is saying something.

I also agree otherwise with the person who said the only thing they did right was the IGSM video (I think One Vision was pretty good too!)

Gr8 King Rat user not visiting Queenzone.com
go Cubs go!
Gr8 King Rat
Bohemian: 423 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 09, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree 100%. They are horrible. 
Geez, I remember saying this a few years back and I almost got my head cut off..

podders user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 121 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 09, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah, they have run into all sorts of difficulties recently and have closed down Do-Ro productions.  I believe they were really living the high life in Germany and their company went into liquidation owing quite a bit of cash.  Apparently they have relaunched as something new but most bands that they used to work with now steer well clear.

Bo Alex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Alex
Bohemian: 494 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 09, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see a lot of people really dislike their works.
They always did the same kind of compilation video, in the style of The Show must go on video. (including some image that in my opinion doesn't work with the song. I really hate the end part where appears Freddie from IWTB closing the door): Queen rocks (all the videos with the same idea), Too much love will kill you and many more. Queen deserves something better. 

A man who learnt how to teach, but forgot how to learn.

A la grande le puse cuca!!
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6374 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 09, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen do make some questionable hiring decisions ... The Shefields, Prenter, Beach, Brooks, Gray, DoRo ... etc

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
redspecialusa user not visiting Queenzone.com
redspecialusa
Bohemian: 228 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 09, 21:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think hiring Greg Brooks was a questionable move...just because he won't listen to you doesn't mean his hiring was 'questionable.' Even though we've paid his salary, we aren't the ones signing the pay cheques. I think he's done a fine job as the archivist. Jim Beach however is another story.

I don't know that I really have anything bad to say about the Torpedo Twins, I think they did as best as they could with what they had too. Some things I wish they had done better...but I like the videos that they did, and they worked well with the band too.

"Let us cling together as the years go by; Oh my love, my love.

In the quiet of the night,

Let our candle always burn;

Let us never lose the lessons we have learned." - Brian May
inu-liger

Posted: 05 Feb 09, 00:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

redspecialusa wrote:

I don't think hiring Greg Brooks was a questionable move...just because he won't listen to you doesn't mean his hiring was 'questionable.' Even though we've paid his salary, we aren't the ones signing the pay cheques. I think he's done a fine job as the archivist. Jim Beach however is another story.

I don't know that I really have anything bad to say about the Torpedo Twins, I think they did as best as they could with what they had too. Some things I wish they had done better...but I like the videos that they did, and they worked well with the band too.

I'll agree with you. Greg Brooks actually really does his job well, despite how he comes across otherwise in his online persona here. He is very dedicated, and the few times I've chatted with him on the phone so far, I could always tell how passionate he was about his work. He's always a joy to talk to, and a hell of a lot nicer than some people here would expect! (

The unfortunate thing, as people ARE finally starting to acknowledge belatedly, is that Greg however doesn't always get his way with how the releases are handled (Singles Boxset, etc.). His ideas for that boxset VS QP's end product were very polar, with QP obviously being the worse design. Crying shame really.

inu-liger

Posted: 05 Feb 09, 00:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Panchgani wrote:

Queen do make some questionable hiring decisions ... The Shefields, Prenter, Beach, Brooks, Gray, DoRo ... etc

Who the hell is Prenter? I recognize every other name but, oddly enough.

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 09, 05:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paul Prenter, isn't it ?

didn´t he let down Freddie in any way ? airing details of Freddie´s private life or something like that ?

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 09, 05:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Prenter, yep.  He tried apologising many times but Freddie wouldn't listen.  I don't blame him!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Soul Brother user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 411 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 09, 08:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, everything they does sucks.  Rare Live is an abomination and is best watched lying down with headache pills.  It is such a shame given the potential that's there.

I think now when you look at a band like Rush, visually since about 1990 they have people on board who understand and have actually given the band a new lease of life.

Don't know Greg Brooks personally but I have always been impressed by him and know that he has the best intentions at heart.   I just wish we could see some kind of advancement on the holy grail that is "THE" boxset.....!

He's my best friend he's my champion
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 09, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe this was discussed before, excuse me.  BO ALEX SUCKS!!!!!

He's complaining about "so much mistakes", so let's examine his original post:

SENTENCE #1:  Maybe this was discussed before, escuse me.
Not bad, only you mispelled "escuse" and we do NOT even have a complete sentence.

SENTENCE #2:  But I have watched several times stuff like Rare Live, Champions of the world and Magic Years and these guys really suck.
Perhaps you meant to say  "But several times I have watched stuff like" but you didn't know how to put it into proper order.  Also, you list 3 titles but only put a comma after the first one.  There should be a comma after the word "world", which should also be capitalized.  Finally you used a conjunction (AND) to join to complete thoughts, which also requires a comma after the word "Years".  Only four mistakes in this sentence.

SENTENCE #3:I mean, they always have so much mistakes with dates, Rare Live with the dates, the retrospective sequency in the begining of Champios of the world, the interviews in black and white from COTW which say "1973", but they are from 1977, and many more).
Holy crap.  Well the most noticeable error is the fact that you have closed parenthesis without opening them.  Plus, "they always have so much mistakes"... you could say that about your post, kinda.  You spelled "Champios".  Is that a new Queen breakfast cereal?  You put a comma after "I mean" for no apparent reason. 

SENTENCE #4:  I don't understand too much about Cinema or documentaries or whatever you called it (sorry for my english too), but I can realise that these guys are not at the level of a band like Queen.
I didn't call it anything, but you insist I did.  You went to past tense (called) and then back to present tense in the same sentence (can realise).  As far as I know, Queen has never filmed a documentary, Cinema, or whatever you called it... so No, they are not at the same level at all.

SENTENCE #4:  In my opinion, the only good thing they've done is the "I'm going slightly mad" video.
Going Slightly Mad needs to be capitalized. 

SENTENCE #5:  What do you think??
I think that you shouldn't be complaining about people making mistakes.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 03:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

Maybe this was discussed before, excuse me.  BO ALEX SUCKS!!!!!

He's complaining about "so much mistakes", so let's examine his original post:

SENTENCE #1:  Maybe this was discussed before, escuse me.
Not bad, only you mispelled "escuse" and we do NOT even have a complete sentence.

SENTENCE #2:  But I have watched several times stuff like Rare Live, Champions of the world and Magic Years and these guys really suck.
Perhaps you meant to say  "But several times I have watched stuff like" but you didn't know how to put it into proper order.  Also, you list 3 titles but only put a comma after the first one.  There should be a comma after the word "world", which should also be capitalized.  Finally you used a conjunction (AND) to join to complete thoughts, which also requires a comma after the word "Years".  Only four mistakes in this sentence.

SENTENCE #3:I mean, they always have so much mistakes with dates, Rare Live with the dates, the retrospective sequency in the begining of Champios of the world, the interviews in black and white from COTW which say "1973", but they are from 1977, and many more).
Holy crap.  Well the most noticeable error is the fact that you have closed parenthesis without opening them.  Plus, "they always have so much mistakes"... you could say that about your post, kinda.  You spelled "Champios".  Is that a new Queen breakfast cereal?  You put a comma after "I mean" for no apparent reason. 

SENTENCE #4:  I don't understand too much about Cinema or documentaries or whatever you called it (sorry for my english too), but I can realise that these guys are not at the level of a band like Queen.
I didn't call it anything, but you insist I did.  You went to past tense (called) and then back to present tense in the same sentence (can realise).  As far as I know, Queen has never filmed a documentary, Cinema, or whatever you called it... so No, they are not at the same level at all.

SENTENCE #4:  In my opinion, the only good thing they've done is the "I'm going slightly mad" video.
Going Slightly Mad needs to be capitalized. 

SENTENCE #5:  What do you think??
I think that you shouldn't be complaining about people making mistakes.

If you click on Bo Alex' username you will see that he comes from Argentina, the native language is Spanish. Please write up your "corrections" in Spanish - with no mistakes. You think you are funny but you are just insulting a foreign language user, how cheap.

I do not want any google ads here.

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2238 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 04:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay guys.
I'm English. You may know of us. We conquered the world and made sure that everyone else could speak our language so we didn't have to learn theirs!

I can't speak a word of any language except French (and even that's a struggle), so when I come on this forum and write postings and private messages to other fans whose first language ISN'T English and get replies back that I understand, it amazes me.
I may occasionally have a little laugh at how some of it is written (there have been some uncomprehensible posts!), but at the end of the day, you people speak my language and I do NOT speak yours.

By all means, correct people's written English if the intent is to help them improve, but don't slag them off.

Respect to everyone here that isn't English but writes in English, regardless of whether it is perfect or not, and "Thank You" for making life easy for this lazy Englishman!

[img=/images/smiley/msn/thumbs_up.gif][/img]