Forums > Queen - General Discussion > I mean, seriously, Brian, what the hell?

forum rss feed
Author

P-Staker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 218 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 05:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I finally got Furia and I'm not happy.

It's the same fucking riff twenty times. As the album played I literally prayed the next track won't be the same riff, but guess what.

Oh, there are two tracks that aren't the riff, but they sound like French buskers begging for heroin. And they feature no Brian whatsoever.

And what the hell's with the squealing synth pads? They would fit a 1953 sci-fi feature, but a '99 film?

The only logical explanation is that Brian wanted to capture the general unease and pain of watching French cinematography, in which case he succeeded beautifully. But if the idea of not hurting his fans' ears had even remotely crossed his mind, he would have simply released a single "Dream of Thee (Theme from Furia)." Mind you, Dream of Thee is among Brian's best ballads - but not when you've heard the riff 19 times already.

[BREAKTHRU1989] user not visiting Queenzone.com
[BREAKTHRU1989]
Rocker: 46 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks a lot for the french cinema ; at least they've got some ideas for good stories and they're not full of FX like hollywood crap blockbusters we've got all the time.

Anyway, as I'm french myself I've never heard of Furia outside the Queen community, and never heard the soundtrack itself.

I will be annoyed also if I buy some greatest hits 2 with 17 times slightly mad on it ... :-D

Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 08:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and did you see the movie?

:)
[BREAKTHRU1989] user not visiting Queenzone.com
[BREAKTHRU1989]
Rocker: 46 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 09:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Me ? Unfortunately, no ...

But if I can find a copy, I sure will see it, just for Marion Cotillard !

Bo Alex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Alex
Bohemian: 491 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This album feature a tango: Cuesta Abajo. Did Brian compose it?
I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

A man who learnt how to teach, but forgot how to learn.

A la grande le puse cuca!!
Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 620 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FLASH! A-AAAAA!

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did you ever listen to another actual soundtrack?
And I mean a proper soundtrack, a SCORE, not a soundtrack as in a collection of songs.

Pop any in and count the theme's (soundtracks have THEME's, no riffs!) or variations on that same theme.
It is very common for a score. As a score Furia realy is not that bad.  

But then again... you bash French cinema...
I bet you watch movies from Hollywood!

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pjg god i have been drinking
happy birthday zebonka

i mastubrate to furia

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jjeroen wrote:

And I mean a proper soundtrack, a SCORE, not a soundtrack as in a collection of songs.

Pop any in and count the theme's (soundtracks have THEME's, no riffs!) or variations on that same theme.

Incidentally, I listened to movie scores (say Morricone, Williams - even Queen's Flash) and they all feature some variety and development. Compare

If you bothered to learn the first thing about things you pretend to understand, you'd know that the riff is a short repeated musical phrase that fits into the theme. The Furia "theme" is just a short I-IV-V riff with a tonic in Am and dominant in E. 20 fucking times. It's worse than a Ramones CD. You'd really do well to shut up about music until you can at least play "Oh, Sussana."

And yes, French cinema is like French cheese - the French think it's something special because it stinks. It's either pseudointellectualism without substance or kitsch. The last French film I tried to watch was Amelie; I made it halfway through and then snapped the DVD in half for wasting my time. And why on Earth can't French actors talk and move at the same time?

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 11:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

P-Staker wrote:

Jjeroen wrote:

Incidentally, I listened to movie scores (say Morricone, Williams - even Queen's Flash) and they all feature some variety and development. Compare

If you bothered to learn the first thing about things you pretend to understand, you'd know that the riff is a short repeated musical phrase that fits into the theme. The Furia "theme" is just a short I-IV-V riff with a tonic in Am and dominant in E. 20 fucking times. It's worse than a Ramones CD. You'd really do well to shut up about music until you can at least play "Oh, Sussana."

And yes, French cinema is like French cheese - the French think it's something special because it stinks. It's either pseudointellectualism without substance or kitsch. The last French film I tried to watch was Amelie; I made it halfway through and then snapped the DVD in half for wasting my time. And why on Earth can't French actors talk and move at the same time?
The last French film I've seen was "Irreversible". Yup, that was all I needed to know about French cinema. There are some great French directors like Luc Besson whose movie "Leon:The Professional" is one of my all-time favourites but I guess it doesn't count since it's in English. But French movies in general disinterest me. Some are very artistic(the arthouse ones) but the shitty ones get all the publicity.

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll take it from here my nigga
French cheese is way better than their cinema and that's saying something.  I sat through God knows how much of "Nathalie" thinking I'd see Emanuelle Beart get her gear off and shake that ass, but she was only bumping and grinding for all of two minutes.  The rest of it was that absolute witch shemale MANTHING Fanny Ardant looking mopey because Gerard Dippadidoo wasn't interested in her anymore.  That's not arty, that's boring pedestrian crap.

Who the fuck wants to watch a couple of geriatric Frenchy's yap about their marital dysfunction when they can watch Emanuelle "I Take My Clothes Off and Fuck Dildos When The Mood Takes Me" Beart?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6246 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

P-Staker wrote:

And what the hell's with the squealing synth pads? They would fit a 1953 sci-fi feature, but a '99 film?

Disregarding for a moment that there were no synth pads in '53...

Anyway, this is soundtrack music. It usually works with a limited number of thematic ideas which, in various incarnations, appear and re-appear. This is not one of my favorite soundtracks, but it's not nearly as bad as you make it sound.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10018 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

P-Staker wrote:

Jjeroen wrote:

I haven't read such an stupid reply for a long time, I hope it was supposed to be a joke.
Ramones have done probably the best music in the history of the USA and French movies are ART.  If you're used to watch garbage instead of art, it's your personal problem but don't forget a lot of people have different taste

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, it's crap therefore it's art?

Is it like the theory that if something tastes foul, it must be healthy to eat?

Care to explain what's so artistic about the French cinema? Or you just talking about things you don't really understand like that Jj-dude?

And Ramones would have been a good band... if they learned more than two chords. Perhaps their songs would be possible to tell apart then?

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

French cinema is like French cheese - the French think it's something special because it stinks.

Greatness.

Give me Die Hard 2 over any French film.  Yes, I said Die Hard 2. 
They should have stopped after The Red Balloon and called it a day.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1703 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 16:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Got the movie, got the soundtrack. I don't like them very much, except for "Dream of thee" which I do like even if haven't heard it in about 5 years perhaps.

I saw the movie twice. When I rented it in my local Blockbuster about 8 years ago and then when I bought the DVD.

It is fairly easy to find it in local supermarkets here in Mexico. There is a company called "Quality Films" that releases movies that a big label wouldn't normally release. Obviously, the releases are very simple in packaging and no special features are included.

Actually, I think I saw both the VHS and the DVD for sale a couple of weeks ago in my local Walmart.

I prefer the movies he made later. "Haute tension" is very good and his remakes of "The Hills have Eyes" and "Mirrors" are not too bad. I just found out he is up for directing Piranha 3-D, which should have some good ol' blood splatting coming at you from the screen in 3D in 2010! :D

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On its own, Dream of Thee is a great track. It would have been a much stronger release as a single. I believe it would have been a hit, or at least a fan favorite.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4684 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

French cinema is like French cheese - the French think it's something special because it stinks.

Greatness.

Give me Die Hard 2 over any French film.  Yes, I said Die Hard 2. 
They should have stopped after The Red Balloon and called it a day.

I cried over both those movies ... but in different ways.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Marcelo_argentina user not visiting Queenzone.com
Marcelo_argentina
Bohemian: 219 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It´s just a Soundtrack...what did you expect?

Anyway..I like french movies..I like French cheese..and I love France!!!

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4262 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 09, 18:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The soundtrack is worth the money just for the Furia Theme and Dream of Thee. Some of Brian's best work is on the CD IMO.