Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Which has been the best decade for music?

forum rss feed
Author

Spiritinthesky user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 34 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Which has been the best decade for music?
50's60's70's80's90's00's
If you fancy having a vote go tohttp://www.thisdayinmusic.com


thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

a) it all depends on what genre of music you are talking about
b) this has what to do with Queen?



Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would like to break this down.

Let's make this thread about Irish Folk Songs.

So which decade do YOU think?  I'd say the 60s, Danny Boy.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Irish Folk? '70s

1870s, that is.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 13:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1970s - Night on Disco Mountain, The Village People, James Taylor, Thin Lizzy, ELO etc.
 
Fantabulous.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2020 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

holly wins by a mile . i loved the 70s.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'70s music is awesome, but disco sucked. The '60s were great, musically, only from '64 onwards when you look at pop/rock, IMHO, and the '50s were the summum of jazz.



Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



 



 



 



ThomasQuinn wrote:



 



'70s music is awesome, but disco sucked. The '60s were great, musically, only from '64 onwards when you look at pop/rock, IMHO, and the '50s were the summum of jazz.



 



Disco sucks?

Well, okay, maybe. Travis Bickle certainly thought so. But I dare anyone to watch this without their foot beginning to tap. In fact, I feel an Airplane-like dance off coming on right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCN58Pw2VE0







"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
April user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 440 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with those who say that the best decade was the 70s. A lot of great bands!
Disco was "decay", bad taste. The 80s was only Queen.



LozIan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 19:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The 2030's.  Just take my word for it.


Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 19:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know but after 1987 everything went downhill.


Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6373 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 22:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was all set to say the 70's until someone mentioned disco. 

the best thing about disco, was "Disco Demolition Night", where between games of a Chicago White Sox double header a local Chicago DJ (Steve Dahl)blew up a huge stack of disco records ...  inciting slight mayhem.  Baseball fans charged onto the field  and ripped up sod from the field etc ... Consequently, the Chicago White Sox had to forfeit the 2nd game of the double header (to the Detroit Tigers).

Disco really sucks ... an anoying unceasing, unvarying thump-thap thump-thap thump-thap thump-thap beat ... ugh.

Incidently, Steve Dahl released a song parody of Rod Stewart song called "Do You Think I'm Disco" somewhat before Disco Demolition Night (and it was a hit single in Chicago).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LAApU-QHfI


Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!



Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html



B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 22:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I get the feeling that you guys would really appreciate this little gem.



"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6373 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 23:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here is a brief video about Disco Demolition Night: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a_hBR9YuNw

Hilarious high school memories ... Disco Sucks!!

I remember, a year later trying to convince anyone that "Another One Bites the Dust" was disco done "properly".

I still like "Another One Bites the Dust",  but I was very disappointed in 1982 with Hot Space ... but that is another story ...

Oh the "poll'?

Despite disco, the 70's are the best decade.



Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!



Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html



B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 02:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

80's


Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 07:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Treasure Moment wrote:

80's


Samplers, synth gates, Top 100s consisting of indistinguishable songs. Yeah, great music alright...







Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



ThomasQuinn wrote:



 



Treasure Moment wrote:



80's



Samplers, synth gates, Top 100s consisting of indistinguishable songs. Yeah, great music alright...






what are you talking about? the music of the 80s is very creative and distinguishable.







Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

90's, IMO



John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
LozIan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote







Treasure Moment wrote:



















ThomasQuinn wrote:



























 















Treasure Moment wrote:















80's















Samplers, synth gates, Top 100s consisting of indistinguishable songs. Yeah, great music alright...






what are you talking about? the music of the 80s is very creative and distinguishable.





The 80's were characterized by industry over-involvement at practically every level of creativity.  In essence, the 80's were stuffed with pre-packaged bands and utterly commercial crap cocked together by record company executives to line their pockets.  Formulaic was the credo - party rocker for the guys, soft ballad for the ladies, throw in some anthemic refrains and a few watery synth lines, and viola.  Certainly there were some bands that escaped this stigma, but calling the 80's the best decade of music is like calling Walmart the best retailer in existence.  It took Nirvana and their grunge ilk to tear down the horrible, bombastic cheese of the most overtly colorless and misogynist decade in the history of modern music. 

If I was to answer truthfully, I'd have to say 65-75.  So much ridicuously good music, so much of it socially conscious and groundbreaking.  A time of great studio experimentation, too.







Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



LozIan wrote:



 



 



 



Treasure Moment wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



ThomasQuinn wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



Treasure Moment wrote:



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



80's



 



 



 



 



 



 



 



Samplers, synth gates, Top 100s consisting of indistinguishable songs. Yeah, great music alright...






what are you talking about? the music of the 80s is very creative and distinguishable.





The 80's were characterized by industry over-involvement at practically every level of creativity.  In essence, the 80's were stuffed with pre-packaged bands and utterly commercial crap cocked together by record company executives to line their pockets.  Formulaic was the credo - party rocker for the guys, soft ballad for the ladies, throw in some anthemic refrains and a few watery synth lines, and viola.  Certainly there were some bands that escaped this stigma, but calling the 80's the best decade of music is like calling Walmart the best retailer in existence.  It took Nirvana and their grunge ilk to tear down the horrible, bombastic cheese of the most overtly colorless and misogynist decade in the history of modern music. 

If I was to answer truthfully, I'd have to say 65-75.  So much ridicuously good music, so much of it socially conscious and groundbreaking.  A time of great studio experimentation, too.







nirvana is better than the 80s bands? i dont think so! they are ok at best. There were lots of awesome creative music in the 80s.







Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463