Forums > Personal > A little something I wrote

forum rss feed
Author

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was working on the score for a short film a friend of mine made, when I listened back what I did for his previous one, and I found this theme (called "Blue") again, which I still like. I'm not experienced on the saxophone, so cut me some slack there :P

Attachment: 1111409845388.mp3 1 MB
This has been downloaded 16 time(s).



Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not bad.

A bit uninspired initially, but it gets better when the saxophone comes in.

Sounds empty, though.
But then again, I don't know what kinda film this is supposed to be for.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Neo-Noir short film. It plays when the main character is walking through an empty hallway in a shopping center sometime during the night.



Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah, then it's better.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







knakenrudi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 83 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds like Treasure Moment!! They are definately improving!

;-)

Bad joke, I know. Nice piece of music, I can imagine the scene you describe with this music being played.


thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks ^^

I like it as a mood piece, not an exhibition of virtuosity or complex composition or anything like that, which it just isn't.



Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hopefully this character gets attacked by a Klingon warrior and you can then throw in some Star Trek fight music like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyhhFzE5O5U

All movies can be improved using this music, even Ghandi or Driving Miss Daisy.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
knakenrudi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 83 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



ThomasQuinn wrote:

Thanks ^^

I like it as a mood piece, not an exhibition of virtuosity or complex composition or anything like that, which it just isn't.


And quite often, it just doesn't need to be complex, which I think is shown nicely in this piece.






Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Not bad, though it does invoke memories of this song



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJSqcvAQ8l8&feature=related




"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its not for Geert Wilders film is it? ;-]


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Mercury wrote: Not bad, though it does invoke memories of this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJSqcvAQ8l8&feature=related


Apart from the use of the harmonic minor's major seventh, I don't really hear the similarity, I'll have to admit. Interesting nonetheless. I hadn't heard this song before, but I quite like it. A slight tinge of Irish traditional with a harmonic minor melody.



Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



JoxerTheDeityPirate wrote:

its not for Geert Wilders film is it? ;-]

If given the choice between a firing squad and working for Geert Wilders at a salary of $100 000,- an hour, I'll take the firing squad.



Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 14:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



ThomasQuinn wrote:



 



JoxerTheDeityPirate wrote:



its not for Geert Wilders film is it? ;-]


If given the choice between a firing squad and working for Geert Wilders at a salary of $100 000,- an hour, I'll take the firing squad.


he had a nice little trip to London and back today, didnt get to see or say much though due to the fact his arse was swiftly put back on the plane and sent packing.he got a shit load of publicity though as no one in the UK had heard of him or his sodding film until then and then Sky News didnt shut up about him afterwards,giving him exactly what he was after..publicity.









isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 14:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

However obnoxious you find this person's views I think it's wrong to censor him. So much for democratic, liberal principals.

ps I haven't seen his film but wouldn't it be better wth Star trek fight music?


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



ThomasQuinn wrote:

Mr Mercury wrote: Not bad, though it does invoke memories of this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJSqcvAQ8l8&feature=related


Apart from the use of the harmonic minor's major seventh, I don't really hear the similarity, I'll have to admit. Interesting nonetheless. I hadn't heard this song before, but I quite like it. A slight tinge of Irish traditional with a harmonic minor melody.




I was meaning the sax solo right at the end on Will You, which for once isnt overplayed just like the sax isnt in your song. This is a problem I have with some guitar players. Guys like Malmsteen, etc are technically gifted, but try singing their solo's back and you invariably end up sounding like a demented idiot having a fit. Your sax solo is singable and thats what I like about it.





"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 09, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



JoxerTheDeityPirate wrote:



 



ThomasQuinn wrote:



 



 



 



 



JoxerTheDeityPirate wrote:



 



its not for Geert Wilders film is it? ;-]



 


If given the choice between a firing squad and working for Geert Wilders at a salary of $100 000,- an hour, I'll take the firing squad.


 



he had a nice little trip to London and back today, didnt get to see or say much though due to the fact his arse was swiftly put back on the plane and sent packing.he got a shit load of publicity though as no one in the UK had heard of him or his sodding film until then and then Sky News didnt shut up about him afterwards,giving him exactly what he was after..publicity.







 



Wilders was sent back to his native country. Oh, the irony!





John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 05:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The BNP will thank the British government for the help. Great diplomatic victory for stupidity. It was illegal under EU law to reject and arrest  Wilders, the Dutch foreign minister was forced to protest against the illegal action. All supporters of Wilders and his likes will now feel justified in their opinion that the Western democracies are giving up their values for fear of Islamistic terror.


I do not want any google ads here.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



YourValentine wrote:

The BNP will thank the British government for the help. Great diplomatic victory for stupidity. It was illegal under EU law to reject and arrest  Wilders, the Dutch foreign minister was forced to protest against the illegal action. All supporters of Wilders and his likes will now feel justified in their opinion that the Western democracies are giving up their values for fear of Islamistic terror.

It's not illegal. They (Britain) have the right to refuse any non-British citizen entry if they have a reason. It's debatable whether they made the right choice, but they did certainly have the right. They have denied entry to a number of Muslim fundamentalists these last few years, so they were just being consistent by rejecting an extremist from the other camp, but it did give him free publicity.

Having said that, Wilders, given the chance, would be quite willing to risk a civil war just to get media exposure. His success in the polls just goes to show how much of the electorate is too stupid to use their votes sensibly. That puts "holy democracy" in a new perspective...Hitler, Mugabe and Wilders: democratically elected, and a danger to their own people and others.








Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 06:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Mr Mercury wrote:







ThomasQuinn wrote:



Mr Mercury wrote: Not bad, though it does invoke memories of this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJSqcvAQ8l8&feature=related


Apart from the use of the harmonic minor's major seventh, I don't really hear the similarity, I'll have to admit. Interesting nonetheless. I hadn't heard this song before, but I quite like it. A slight tinge of Irish traditional with a harmonic minor melody.


I was meaning the sax solo right at the end on Will You, which for once isnt overplayed just like the sax isnt in your song. This is a problem I have with some guitar players. Guys like Malmsteen, etc are technically gifted, but try singing their solo's back and you invariably end up sounding like a demented idiot having a fit. Your sax solo is singable and thats what I like about it.



Oh, I see! There was me looking for similarities from bar one onwards,
and missing the big picture. I see what you mean about guitar-solos.
You'll agree with Miles Davis, who said that the problem with guitar
players is that "they always want to play too many notes" (of course,
he was generalizing, but he wouldn't be Miles Davis if he didn't).

I don't object to any fast, complex solo ("Child In Time" features my
all-time favorite guitar solo), but there is a tendency to only mind
the speed when constructing solos, which I believe is a mistake. The
main reason, I think, is that, if your technique is good, playing fast
solos is actually easier, because you don't have to pay too much
attention to intonation, and because it looks cool to see a guy running
his fingers up and down the neck at light speed.

Still, frenetic music isn't the only way, and slow- to mid tempo solos
that are more melodic are often a lot more pleasant to listen to, which
brings us to a problem troubling music since the earliest notated
music, namely that composers and performers get lost in the written
notes and lose sight of the fact that the audience is listening to the
audible result, not the analysis on paper.



Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 08:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The irony indeed.
A country that refuses people for their opinion...
Must be a wet dream for Wilders himself.