Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > A Question About The Live Magic Album

forum rss feed
Author

macman223 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 205 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 10:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One of my favorite live albums is Live Magic!
A Majority of the songs are from the Knebworth Concert
But the audio is completely remastered, It's Incredable! I'm dieing to know
 how the heck do they remaster the audio to the unbelievable quality as heard in Live Magic!
I know guys can share your comments and help me on this one.
Thanks! 

victor fleitas user not visiting Queenzone.com
victor fleitas
Bohemian: 209 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

this album sound really bad comparing to wembley or montreal, of course queen producctions didnt "remastered" the bootleg that some guy recorded, they just used the multitrack... there is nothing special about that... of course it will sound better than the bootleg...

Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 23:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

THIS is what the FANS want !

I guess I'm not a fan then.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 09, 06:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

macman223 wrote:

how the heck do they remaster the audio to the unbelievable quality as heard in Live Magic!
Thanks! 

It's not re-mastered, just mastered. Mastering refers to the processing of fully mixed recordings for release on an audio-carrier. It involves equalizing, compressing/limiting and the likes, to make the overall sound more balanced, and to optimize the sound for a variety of playback-configurations. Re-mastering occurs when the original master-track for a previously released recording is mastered for a new release. The term then serves merely to illustrate that the new release differs from the original one.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

marvinp01 user not visiting Queenzone.com
marvinp01
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 09, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i dont want that either

"I was *burp* initially going to be on Thriller! Can you imagine that? Blew it!"
Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 09, 11:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't want a Live Magic re-release, I don't want a Live in Budapest DVD anytime soon and I couldn't care less about Knebworth being released in any format.
I want stuff from tours we still haven't got neither on CD nor on DVD.

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 09, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thequeen wrote:

Raf wrote:

I don't want a Live Magic re-release, I don't want a Live in Budapest DVD anytime soon and I couldn't care less about Knebworth being released in any format.

I want stuff from tours we still haven't got neither on CD nor on DVD.

whoa ! really ? I mean, are you serious? ....I'll bake you a pie if you'll say that again : ) 

If I were you, I wouldn't go anywhere near the oven.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)

Posted: 23 Feb 09, 07:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

macman223 wrote:

Thanks! 

It's not re-mastered, just mastered. Mastering refers to the processing of fully mixed recordings for release on an audio-carrier. It involves equalizing, compressing/limiting and the likes, to make the overall sound more balanced, and to optimize the sound for a variety of playback-configurations. Re-mastering occurs when the original master-track for a previously released recording is mastered for a new release. The term then serves merely to illustrate that the new release differs from the original one.

Thanks For that info. I have one of the bootlegs, and I use a Mac. It is possible to master the songs, to the sound qyality of the Live Magic Album through software? 

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 09, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I must say that Live Magic, even the tracks taken from Wembley, does sound a hell of a lot better than live at Wembley (even the remastered versions of that).

Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 09, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Remastering" tracks takes a lot more than just trying audio plug-ins here and there. Sometimes you can get much better results than the originals with just a few tweaks, but overkill happens more often than you can think. You can virtually remove any hiss or noises, but depending on what the plugin you're using, you'll make the original audio sound like it's under water too.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 09, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Raf wrote:

If Knebworth is released, then great, for history reasons and all.  But honestly, the Live Magic fragment is great, and the Thank You All bootleg is certainly listenable enough.  It seems the big fans want something from the 70s, so let's see what 2009 brings.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 09, 14:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

macman223 wrote:

I have one of the bootlegs, and I use a Mac. It is possible to master the songs, to the sound qyality of the Live Magic Album through software?

Definitely not.  It was recorded from very far away in the audience with a single microphone, whereas the band recorded the show from the soundboard.  There is no chance that an audience recording, even with the best possible gear recorded from the front row, can sound as good as something recorded properly from the soundboard.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 09, 21:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

There is no chance that an audience recording, even with the best possible gear recorded from the front row, can sound as good as something recorded properly from the soundboard.

Well you'd better find a way man!  I'm seeing The Who in about a month......

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
redspecialusa user not visiting Queenzone.com
redspecialusa
Bohemian: 228 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 09, 21:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Raf wrote:

If Knebworth is released, then great, for history reasons and all.  But honestly, the Live Magic fragment is great, and the Thank You All bootleg is certainly listenable enough.  It seems the big fans want something from the 70s, so let's see what 2009 brings.

I agree w/ you Sir GH. I've been wanting a Hyde Park '76, Houston '77, or Chicago '78 for about 3 years now. They'll produce their (Queen Productions) worst fear of flooding the market by releasing yet another 80's concert on DVD. They ought to wait 3 or 4 years before doing Knebworth.

"Let us cling together as the years go by; Oh my love, my love.

In the quiet of the night,

Let our candle always burn;

Let us never lose the lessons we have learned." - Brian May
bobo the chimp

Posted: 26 Feb 09, 21:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's been fairly well established that there'll be no Knebworth DVD, on account of the video having never existed.
(I dunno if that's what you were getting at).

If they were to do the unthinkable and release MORE Magic Tour stuff... (like Budapest perhaps) it would definitely be a nice extra if they were to release whatever Knebworth stuff does exist, on a 2nd disc.  We've probably seen most of the film that there is already, but you never know. 

It boggles the mind.  They basically have the perfect template in Led Zeppelin's live DVD set.  Someone ought to just slam that down in front of Brian and say to him, "DO THIS".

It'd help to make sure he understands that we want 70's shows first, though.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
redspecialusa user not visiting Queenzone.com
redspecialusa
Bohemian: 228 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 09, 01:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

It's been fairly well established that there'll be no Knebworth DVD, on account of the video having never existed.

If they were to do the unthinkable and release MORE Magic Tour stuff... (like Budapest perhaps) it would definitely be a nice extra if they were to release whatever Knebworth stuff does exist, on a 2nd disc.  We've probably seen most of the film that there is already, but you never know. 

It boggles the mind.  They basically have the perfect template in Led Zeppelin's live DVD set.  Someone ought to just slam that down in front of Brian and say to him, "DO THIS".

It'd help to make sure he understands that we want 70's shows first, though.

Huh...I guess I falsely assumed because of the excerpt of a 'documentary' made about the Knebworth concert, that there was pro footage shot. I guess they must've left the tape out of the cameras that night. I agree w/ your ideas as well Z.

"Let us cling together as the years go by; Oh my love, my love.

In the quiet of the night,

Let our candle always burn;

Let us never lose the lessons we have learned." - Brian May
cmi user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmi
Bohemian: 646 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 09, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't understand why people is so excited about the Led Zeppelin DVD. Yes, the quality of audio and footage is great but we have lost the opportunity to see the releases of complete set concerts from Earls Court 75 and Knebworth 79. It'll be much better to release Royal Albert Hall 1970 DVD, Earls Court 1975 DVD, Knebworth 1979 DVD as the separate editions and The Song Remains The Same DVD as it was released maybe with some alternate concert footage in addition.

Personally I don't want to receive Queen DVD compilation of 5 tracks from each well-known 70's concert which deserves DVD release on its own.

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 09, 07:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Apparently, many fans believe Queen already knew back then it'd be their last perfomance and so decided to film the whole thing because of its historic importance. 
And they probably haven't seen what's in the archives waiting for a good DVD release, either... If they had, they'd probably get frustrated just to think that we might still have another Magic DVD.

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
bobo the chimp

Posted: 27 Feb 09, 12:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

redspecialusa wrote:

Huh...I guess I falsely assumed because of the excerpt of a 'documentary' made about the Knebworth concert, that there was pro footage shot. I guess they must've left the tape out of the cameras that night. I agree w/ your ideas as well Z.

It is a fair assumption really, and technically speaking 'pro' stuff was indeed shot.  But it's really only limited to the film footage that DoRo took, as far as I know. 
To me it just looks like a very unfortunate but simple blunder.  They're still at it, by the way - I hear quite a few of the Q+PR shows weren't fully recorded.  Ha!

CMI wrote:

I don't understand why people is so excited about the Led Zeppelin DVD. Yes, the quality of audio and footage is great but we have lost the opportunity to see the releases of complete set concerts from Earls Court 75 and Knebworth 79. It'll be much better to release Royal Albert Hall 1970 DVD, Earls Court 1975 DVD, Knebworth 1979 DVD as the separate editions and The Song Remains The Same DVD as it was released maybe with some alternate concert footage in addition.

Personally I don't want to receive Queen DVD compilation of 5 tracks from each well-known 70's concert which deserves DVD release on its own.

Good point, I think.  It would be interesting to see how those four Led Zeppelin shows would fare as separate DVD releases, as opposed to the compilation that is being sold.  To my mind, it'd be cool to have complete releases of each show, but by the same token... I've seen and heard some of the stuff that isn't on the Led Zeppelin DVD, and some of it really isn't worth having.  (Heartbreaker at Knebworth, for instance).

I guess, if I had to choose between a scenario in which we have no 70's Queen shows on DVD, vs. a
scenario where we have a carefully selected volume of the stuff that best represents the band on DVD, I'd definitely go with the latter.  Of course I'd prefer to get every show that's available, but I mean - I'd take whatever.
It'd certainly be more than what we have now ...

Although I did notice; when I bought GVH2 in 2003, it had one song from the "On Fire" show which came out a while later.  Then when I got the ANATO DVDs, there was a performance of "Sweet Lady" from Hyde Park.  I remember twiddling my thumbs and thinking 'maaaaaybe that means it'll be on DVD soon'....

Still waiting!

Posted: 18 Mar 09, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

macman223 wrote:

I have one of the bootlegs, and I use a Mac. It is possible to master the songs, to the sound qyality of the Live Magic Album through software?

Definitely not.  It was recorded from very far away in the audience with a single microphone, whereas the band recorded the show from the soundboard.  There is no chance that an audience recording, even with the best possible gear recorded from the front row, can sound as good as something recorded properly from the soundboard.

It's such a shame that there isn't a way you could master it yourself to make it sound like the Live Magic album. But, with the edited versions of the songs from Knebworth from the Live Magic Album, and the Knebworth mastered version of Under Pressure that I heard on YouTube, I'm thinking that there's got to be a way to "master" it yourself or there might be a copy of the soundboard recording of the Knebworth Concert somewhere. It's just a suggustion.