Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Question about Father To Son

forum rss feed
Author

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 13:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been relistening to all of my Queen albums, and recently I've been listening to Queen II.  Listening to Father to Son (which I rarely listen to) left me curious about a few things..

The song sounds as if it was recorded 'live.' Did Queen use a particular technique to make it sound rough or is it purely my imagination? Also, I know that the film was inspired by Brian's relationship with his father, but what is with the reference to the family song (and Ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba)?

Thanks for your help.




Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Amazon wrote:

I've been relistening to all of my Queen albums, and recently I've been listening to Queen II.  Listening to Father to Son (which I rarely listen to) left me curious about a few things..

The song sounds as if it was recorded 'live.' Did Queen use a particular technique to make it sound rough or is it purely my imagination? Also, I know that the film was inspired by Brian's relationship with his father, but what is with the reference to the family song (and Ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba)?

Thanks for your help.



Never knew that. I always assumed it was some kind of tolkien-inspired saga.








"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Band Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 212 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


Father To Son -killer guitar riff-  awesome solo in the middle, one of Brian's many outstanding solos, for my own personal taste i would have liked the vocals to be a bit louder in the mix as Freddie was so amazing as we all know and could deliver a vocal like no other.

Sorry Slash your only outstanding solo is Sweet Child of Mine, which is damn good too btw.

Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 17:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Band Forever wrote:

Sorry Slash your only outstanding solo is Sweet Child of Mine, which is damn good too btw.

Not sure where Slash came into it, but I like lots of his solos. In particular I like November Rain, but then I think of that as their Bo Rhap, so maybe not surprising I like it...








Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 09, 23:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Father to son is probably one of the best Queen songs. You know, these that don't play in the radio. It doesn't seem to be recorded live to me.


nationofhaircuts2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Feb 09, 05:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always interpreted the lyrics of the song to mean that all seemingly conventional fathers were also once sons with all sorts of anger about the world and ideals to change it (I've fought with you, fought on your side, a long time ago). As sons become fathers the song is handed on to them so it is a family or generational song (now we hand it on). Remember Brians' parents were not at all happy with him giving up a seemingly sensible career to be in a rock band and doubtless this cause a lot of friction and arguments between them, but their intentions for him were always for the best. (Sing if you will, but the air you breathe, I live to give you). And all this was done with tact and understanding (a word in your ear, not a slap round your head!)

As to a rough recording, it was the early 70s darling!

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Feb 09, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



nationofhaircuts2 wrote:



As to a rough recording, it was the early 70s darling!


[img=/images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif][/img]  True, true. Thanks everyone, howeved does anybody know the reason for Baa baa baa? It may appear silly but I am quite curious.







nationofhaircuts2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Feb 09, 17:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The song was the opener for the first 2 live tours (after the taped Procession), and the baa bba bba you refer to was a great demonstration of the power and range of their vocal harmonies, maybe it just evolved during the live performances without any significance or reason?

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Feb 09, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote







nationofhaircuts2 wrote:



The song was the opener for the first 2 live tours (after the taped Procession), and the baa bba bba you refer to was a great demonstration of the power and range of their vocal harmonies, maybe it just evolved during the live performances without any significance or reason?

I just returned from a break. It may not appear significant to you, but it is to me. I'm not saying that there is necessarily a special reason for the baa baa baa, but if there is a reason, I would love to hear
what it is. (I'm not questioning the quality of the song; I'm only asking about the lyrics.)









Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Feb 09, 14:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope Sebastian don't mind my quoting his website, but the entry is quite helpful with regard to the question. 
http://sebastian.queenconcerts.com/g-songs-02-02.htm

It's in my view the best website on Queen's music.

Here's part of the entry:

"Already part of the live set when they recorded it. Either Freddie gave Brian a hand with the form or May was deliberately influenced by Liar. Interesting modulations in a similar (but more sophisticated) approach to Keep Yourself Alive. All in all a very clever composition showing how Brian was evolving as a songwriter.

Music & Lyrics by: Brian May
Arranged by: Brian May
Written: 1973
Length: 6:14
Released on: 8th March 1974

Keys: Gm, G, F, E
Metre: 4/4
Form: Cyclic

Acoustic Drums: Roger Taylor
Electric Bass: John Deacon
Acoustic Guitars: John Deacon and/or Brian May
Electric Guitars: Brian May
Acoustic Piano: Brian May and probably Freddie Mercury

Songwriting:

Influenced by The Who in the intro.

Recording:

Probably done in sections.

Equipment:

Bechstein Piano
Fender P-Bass
Ludwig Drums
Martin Acoustic Guitar
Red Special Electric Guitar."

Again, credits to: http://sebastian.queenconcerts.com/g-songs-02-02.htm







Yara
Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Feb 09, 05:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Yara wrote:

I hope Sebastian don't mind my quoting his website, but the entry is quite helpful with regard to the question. 
http://sebastian.queenconcerts.com/g-songs-02-02.htm

Thanks. [img=/images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif][/img]








IanR user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 161 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 09, 00:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Amazon wrote:



 



nationofhaircuts2 wrote:



 



As to a rough recording, it was the early 70s darling!



 


[img=/images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif][/img]  True, true. Thanks everyone, howeved does anybody know the reason for Baa baa baa? It may appear silly but I am quite curious.






That was probably a nod to the Beach Boys.



Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Mar 09, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IanR wrote: That was probably a nod to the Beach Boys.

Interesting explanation. I love the Beach Boys, so if true, that would make me extremely happy! [img=/images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif][/img]